Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Holy mother of god.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I'd like to pick card recommendation discussion in the stickied parts-picking thread so as not to fracture discussion; keeping this thread for architecture, industry, and upcoming product chat.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Factory Factory posted:

AnandTech will be doing a Q&A with a GPGPU sexpert, so submit some questions.

And by "sexpert," I mean he was a founder of Aegia (of PhysX fame), became one of Nvidia's top CUDA guys, and is now with AMD spearheading their hetereogeneous systems architecture, i.e. the seamless integration of highly-parallel cores (i.e. GPUs) with complex serial cores (i.e. CPUs).
drat I remember when that dude was just sitting at a bare table with just a laptop showing off liquid simulations at some lovely Pepcom show that coincided with E3 because he couldn't actually get into E3. He was saying "we think we can do this with hardware and game developers will like it."

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Agreed posted:

Hrm. Off the top of my head - Mass Effect games, Mirror's Edge, Metro 2033, Batman:AA, Batman:AC, Battlefield 3. Some upcoming games - Metro 2034: Last Light, Borderlands 2.
Mass Effect and Battlefield 3 did not have hardware PhysX, at least according to NVIDIA.

edit: Also the Batman games have used it to the best effect, in my experience. The Scarecrow sequences in AA were night and day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GyKCM-Bpuw&hd=1

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 06:50 on May 15, 2012

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Unreal Engine 3 was just never designed for environments that large, so the AC devs had to employ quite a bit of streaming stuff that seems to create hitches whenever you move around the environment. It drove me nuts that my 2600k @ 4.6 GHz with a GTX 680 was still getting hiccups so I switched to a 256GB Samsung 830 SSD and that cleaned most of it up.

Basically, I think the hitches are caused by loading new data from your hard drive/SSD. You'll usually get a hiccup the first time you spin the camera around in an environment since it hasn't loaded everything, but do it again and it won't hiccup. Maybe they could patch it to be better optimized for large amount of system RAM or video RAM, but at this point I think it is what it is.

Arkham City really showcases the limits of UE3, unfortunately. Their DX11 code path appears to be a piece of poo poo too and the SSAO implementation destroys frame rates.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 02:52 on May 17, 2012

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Newegg had a ton in stock just yesterday. I really don't think they're hard to find.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

poo poo, EVGA's is in stock right now on Newegg.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Alereon what settings did you fiddle with? I notice the texture shimmering on my 680 and wouldn't mind cleaning that up a bit.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Hey these fixed my GTX 680's DisplayPort audio issue. Awesome!

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Dogen posted:

Regular, half limits it to 30fps, which I don't really know why that option is in there.
They justified it as "some really old games don't expect to go above 30, so use this."

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Just for shits and giggles I fired up Half-Life last night with 32x CSAA + FXAA with transparency super sampling. :pcgaming:

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

mayodreams posted:

Source or the original?
Original.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

WanderingKid posted:

"Display driver has stopped responding and has recovered"
To throw some anecdotal evidence in the other direction: I can't recall ever seeing it on my 8800 GTX, GTX 275, or GTX 680 under stock conditions.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 17:34 on May 29, 2012

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

real_scud posted:

I was wondering if that was going to happen since it got to be the end of the month and they still hadn't updated the drivers from 12.4
They've actually been falling behind for a few months now.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOvfn1p92_8

Unreal Engine 4 stuff from E3. That lighting model is insane. The tools are drastically improved too. I'm glad Epic is trying to address the "more detail = more development costs" with better tools.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Holy poo poo these beta NVIDIA drivers are what the GTX 680 needed on day one. Arkham City is phenomenal now, and the Witcher 2 is beautiful at 2560x1440.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Oh right. I can change that back now.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Agreed posted:

TXAA is:
3. What killed development on FXAA (booooo).
Wait what?! :toughguy:

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Jesus.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

lkz posted:

Real World Tech is also a pretty good site for some of those nitty-gritty details on CPU/GPU architectures. This is getting a little off topic but here's a pretty recent article from them on Haswell architecture.
The most interesting thing I've ever learned at a CES is that David Kanter is a loving weirdo.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

terre packet posted:

What's the easiest way to know when new Nvidia drivers have been released without running Nvidia Experience?
Windows Update :getin:

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

BusinessWallet posted:

Trying to get a clear consensus on this here and can't find a clear winner. Comparing the GTX 780 to the R9 290, I'm gaming at 1440p. Both can be had for approximately the same price.
This isn't the thread for parts picking.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

eggyolk posted:

Is there word on a single-slot 750Ti coming anytime soon? Would be a godsend for mITX builders.
Um, excuse me:

I manage just fine, thank you very much. :colbert:

I was actually disappointed that the GTX 680 isn't as comically large:

Also it looks like I'm gonna sell my GTX 680. I've got nothing on my PC gaming radar for a while and the PC rarely gets turned on anymore. Come on, NVIDIA. Give me an excuse to buy something stupid.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Mar 11, 2014

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Don Lapre posted:

Dont know why you think you need such a giant case

Because that wouldn't fit my CPU cooler! Duh!

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Holy airflow batman! What kinds of temps are your cases running?
No warmer than a full-size case. The GTX 680 actually gets more fresh air in the SG-07 then many ATX cases because it's right against the side with vents. And I have a Thermalright AXP-140 on the CPU so my overclocked 3770k stays frosty.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Mar 11, 2014

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

So you're saying that I'm going to want to replace my brand new Retina MacBook Pro in about 6 months?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I was mostly being facetious. That's just the nature of technology. Buy Maxwell and you'll want Volta a few months later. :shobon:

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Zero VGS posted:

The lowest bandwidth setting I see in Steam Streaming is 3Mbit and SpeedTest.net is giving me 4Mbit upload. Plus the 750ti isn't going to be a weak card when the laptop it is streaming to is 1600x900 native, that's 44% less than 1080p

Again, no harm in seeing what happens, I'll report back.
Bandwidth won't make it unplayable -- latency will.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Don Lapre posted:

Just tell me when i can buy an 880.
Pretty much. I sold my GTX 680 2 weeks ago because there's nothing on my gaming radar, and I'll consider replacing it at the end of the year if NVIDIA has a new high-end card around then.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

19 was a fun age.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

The Lord Bude posted:

If it makes you feel better, the first game I've played on my new 780ti is FTL: Advanced Edition. But between Dragonage 3 and Witcher 3 it's going to be a good year.
Witcher 3 got delayed until 2015, and along with it any motivation I had to replace my 680 GTX that I sold recently.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Excellent. My mini-ITX box that has been GPU-less since I sold my GTX 680 is ready for a GTX 880. And just in time for GTA V!

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Factory Factory posted:

That doesn't strike me as a good ROI for a risky procedure.
Yeah I remember looking into it a bit before I sold my GTX 680 and came to the same conclusion.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Agreed posted:

Same, I will actually be able to build computers again without total agony because small form factor will be totally feasible without sacrificing performance or requiring anything exotic in the way of case adjustments :) I bet most people are gravitating towards SFF anyway, but I'm looking forward to being able to get in on it without losing poo poo in the trade.
I crammed a 7970 into a mITX box, then went smaller to a GTX 680, and intend to toss an 880 GTX into it next. :getin:

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

veedubfreak posted:

So who will be the first person with an 880?
I'm probably ordering one ASAP.

Edit: though the alternative is just abandoning high-end PC gaming and getting a PS4 for the infrequent game time I find anymore. My gaming PC has been without a video card for months now and I can't say I miss it. Decisions.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Aug 5, 2014

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Malcolm XML posted:

It took years for x264 to get where it is. h265 just finished standardization a year or so back.

It's gonna be a while before we see a good h.265 encoder.
Well get to work man!

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Factory Factory posted:

Nothing at AnandTech, TechReport, or PCPer yet today. I'm betting the GeForce 980/970 veil lifts at noon Eastern. This is not an Official Rumor, just my gut.
That's the last time I listen to you! :mad:

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I was ready to throw down for GTX 980 until GTA V got delayed until 2015.

God drat it.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Tech Report as well, if you want more frame pacing stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Apologies since I don't have time to look at many of the reviews tonight, but are we seeing many custom designs at launch or mostly reference coolers?