Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Man I remember reading GPU reviews and 2D image quality being a really big deal. Amazing how much things have changed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Random GPU semi-technical question: what are the differences between (for example) Quadro cards and GeForce cards (or, for that matter, FireGLs and Radeons)? Especially as it relates to f. ex. a 660Ti having 900+ CUDA cores but being worse for 3dsmax usage than a Quadro NVS 510 with 192 CUDA cores. Or would the 660Ti actually be better?

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Paul MaudDib posted:

While I agree there's rapidly diminishing returns, discrete graphics is pretty important to being able to play video games. And being able to do CUDA development on a laptop is pretty nice.

I haven't tried playing games on an Ivy-Bridge generation chip but my past experience with trying to game and work on Intel Integrated graphics chip can basically be summed up as "never again". They're there to draw the Windows desktop, nothing more.

Iris/Iris pro are pretty decent if your gaming needs aren't "play the latest AAA title" but you're still mostly right

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
there's a lot of options out there for making your media actually look good these days. mpc-hc with madVR and mpv with the --vo=opengl-hq flag will both push an i5-2500 around and make a huge quality difference vs vlc. don't limit yourself too much

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Lockback posted:

If a company is enforcing NDAs on an entire industry that's a great way to get hit with anti-trust or even racketeering charges.

haha my god i wish we still had functioning antitrust for so many reasons before this one

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
do you sell your stuff through ebay or what?

e: i ask because the last time i went to sell something big-ticket there, i was contacted by multiple obvious scammers and no real people in the first 24 hours, so i just backed out of it

emdash fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Nov 6, 2018

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
interesting, thanks

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

I thought Nvidia's multi-display GPU clock issue was fixed? My clocks go from 300 to 1200 mhz when I extend my display to my TV. Both are '60'hz, the only difference is my TV is likely at 59.94 vs the true 60hz of my monitor. Both are 4k.

Edit: Tried the multi-monitor performance mode setting in CP btw, no diff.

I have 2x 27" 1440p where one is Gsync and the other isn't. I had a similar problem to what you're seeing. Only workaround I've found is to put the non-Gsync monitor on my Intel GPU

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Apple TV with Infuse is so good, the main reason to have an HTPC anymore is to watch sports streams

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

KodiakRS posted:

Who the hell has an 800HZ display?

no one, fps players love extremely excessive framerates though

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
since no one shared it yet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XBFpjM6EIY

pretty interesting discussion of AMD's perspective on the chiplet strategy

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
it was moved in-house in April and release was pushed from Q2 to the date just announced. So they've had some time. But in the sense that CDPR is unlikely to ever release anything polished or bug-free, you are correct to doubt it

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Same, been watching 3080 stock for a month and the only thing below $750 has been the zotac for $733 on Amazon, and all the while 99% of listings are spending 99% of the time out of stock

My Microcenter did get ~23 $750 3080s that took a while to sell out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

FBS posted:

Lol @ how these prices are displayed. This is probably just an artifact of The Unlaunching but it's still kind of scummy thing for MC to pull.

small comfort that there will actually be $800 cards. hopefully they still sit on shelves though.