Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Dang, I was all set to buy that 980Ti, just wanted to get home from work to make sure I really wanted it. Oh well, I'm in no hurry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

The FE 1080 is $100 over MSRP, the FE 1070 is $70 over MSRP, the vast majority ove aftermarket cards have always been above MSRP, especially at release, with the cheapest ones being anywhere from $20-$40 over MSRP and the higher end ones being even more than that. The only cards that you might see at MSRP are the really lovely blower cooler ones and it's better to spend a little extra to get a decent cooler on top than to save $20-$40 and get a lovely cooler. These card have been showing up but in trickles so they pretty much instantly sell out, I would expect it to take anywhere form a month to two months for supply to start stabilizing.

So is it the expectation that it'll probably be at least more possible to buy, say, an EVGA 1070 SC at their listed price of $440 by about the end of July or mid-August? Or is that a little too hopeful?

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

The aftermarket cards will probably be more widely available by then, yes. You can probably get one between now and then, you just need to watch the various outlets like a hawk and jump on any deal when you see it.

This is why I am glad I decided well before release that if I get a 1070 it's going to be a birthday present to myself in October, by then we will know what cards are good and bad and they should be easy get.

Yeah, I'm in a similar situation and can certainly wait so as to not pay a premium for a FE for no good reason that I can see.

I'm doing a piecemeal upgrade of a system with an i7-2600k and a 560Ti (eventually replacing everything). Nearly grabbed that 980Ti from yesterday, but I'm now glad I didn't.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

ETPC posted:

Non-FE 1080/1070 cards won't start appearing until August, right? I want to get a 1070 but it's $600 CDN and gently caress that.

They've already started appearing, they just sell out within 5 minutes. As far as being able to just go to a site and purchase it, yeah probably not til August.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Convinced NowInStock is trolling me, alerted me to an MSI 1070 being in stock at Newegg, I went within a second and it was still on Auto-Notify. :argh:

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
I never saw it show up in stock.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Literally just showed up

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Free ear buds awww yeah. :whatup:

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Dislike button posted:

Managed to grab a Gigabyte 1070 after losing it at the confirmation screen the first time. Then I realized my power supply is over 5 years old, and my SSD is from 2010, and next thing I know I've dropped over $1200 on a new system.

Yep. I just grabbed a 1070, but I'm nervous about sticking it in my current system with an older PSU. I'll swap that out before I do, and then in a couple of months I plan on getting a new processor, which will require a new motherboard, which will require new RAM. At that point I might as well get new storage to boot. :homebrew:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Peanut3141 posted:

Since you seem to use a lot of cabling at work, is there a manufacturer that you are a fan of?

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=12784

Like he said though, basically any adapter will work and StarTech is fine for this. I wouldn't spend more for a different brand; sometimes I get Accell adapters at work but that's just because sometimes they're the cheaper ones from our vendors.