Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spanko
Apr 7, 2004
winnar
I feel like I can contribute a bit to this thread given my recent experience. I upgraded from a 24" 1920x1200 (ZR24W) monitor to a Korean 27" 2560x1440 monitor with the following specs:

i5 2500k @ 4.2
8GB ddr3 1600
SSD
GTX570

At 1920x1200 with the GTX570 everything was great, I played the following at completely maxed out settings, except where noted. I generally turn motion blur off in all games and bloom depending on the game because the implementation is terrible.

Witcher 2 (ubersampling, motion blur off)
BF3 (motion blur and bloom off, 4x AA)
WoW
SWToR
Skyrim
Tera

After upgrading to the 27" BF3, Witcher 2, and SWToR were no longer playable at 2560x1440 with the same settings and I had to turn some stuff down like AA to 2x or off, ambient occlusion off, bloom and depth of field off in SWToR, and anisotropic filtering off in BF3. Even with those settings there would be occasional unplayable drops in fps in those three games. The higher resolution of the 27" monitor made a huge difference in performance and my 570 ran significantly hotter and louder as well.

So I bought a GTX680 for $500 and I can now run all those games at 2560x1440 and completely max settings and they run better than they did on the 570 at 1900x1200. All that being said, I wouldn't recommend people buy a GTX680 now that 670s are out. It really doesn't look like its worth the extra $100 and I would have waited and got the 670 instead if I knew performance was going to be as close as it is.

So basically anyone considering those 27" Koreans on ebay keep this in mind. The monitors are fantastic and really cheap for what you get but don't expect to play games at high settings on anything less than the top tier of GPUs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU