Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm considering upgrading a computer with a 1680x1050 monitor to a 2560x1440 monitor. It's currently a Core i5-2500 /w a Radeon 4850, and I'm happy with the graphics as in.

How much am I realistically going to have to spend to keep a similar level of quality if I want to game at native resolutions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I might be the only one, but I wish more cards around the $300 pricepoint went with aftermarket coolers that were fatter rather than longer. I would gladly sacrifice 3-4 slots for much quieter cooler if they could keep the length under 8" like the reference boards.

Chuu fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Aug 17, 2012

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

octoroon posted:

With the increasing popularity of smaller cases such as microATX and mini-ITX that tend to have fewer numbers of expansion slots, this would not be a good idea for the most part.

This is actually exactly why I want them. I have a fairly powerful system in a mATX case, with two x1 PCI-E slots below the x16 that I have no need for. I'd gladly give them up to get a top end video card in the system.

On the other hand, there is simply no way a 10-12" card is going to ever fit.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Good Audio cards/DACs are pretty necessary when your headphones/speakers pass the 300$/600$ mark, respectively.

Technically true, the best kind of true. The best way to handle audio on the PC has almost never been correlated with price. Ten years ago it was about getting the best quality line level signal out to a decent app. Now it's all about getting the best (i.e. unsampled or upsampled) digital signal out to your DAC -- or just bypass it completely and use a USB dac that has drivers to handle 192Hz signals.

The best cards to do this have never been the $200-$300 gaming cards. These days, at least for headphones, most people wouldn't even bother with dealing with this onboard and just use a USB DAC.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I am on the verge of buying a GTX 680 for an upgrade from a HD4850 because I want to experiment with some CUDA apps, want to future-proof my system for a 27" monitor upgrade, and have money to burn. Some questions:

1. Is a 500W power supply enough for a system with a GTX 680, i5-2500, and one hard drive? I've seen posts recommending at minimum a 550W power supply but looking at these numbers it looks like total system power consumption never goes over 400W without overvolting.

2. What exactly triggers idle and long idle states?

3. Do superclocked cards effect idle states or idle power consumption meaningfully, assuming they are not overvolted? What if they are overvolted?

4. I've heard people say that these high powered cards dramatically effect their power bills. If I'm doing my math right, assuming 112W idle power consumption @ $0.142/kWh wouldn't running a computer 24/7 be only $11.45 a month at idle?

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the replies, I'll be looking at the 670s now as well. As for CUDA, my gaming system doubles as a development platform so I'm not too concerned about performance at this stage. If I do come up with anything interesting I could convince my company to foot the bill for full Tesla setup.

Longinus00 posted:

4. Currently cards don't typically run at idle speeds if you have dual or more monitors. In the worst case scenario your card could be running full speed at all times.

Will def. be looking more into this, I plan on using this with a dual-monitor setup. Do you have a link to any articles that explain more about this and could quantify it?

Chuu fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Aug 18, 2012

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Thanks for the link. I was planning on buying a 27" as a 2nd monitor and keep using a 24" as a secondary display. Will buying a cheap quadro nvs for the 2nd "2D only" monitor fix this?

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Agreed posted:

:stare:

Where can I send an invoice for the consultation fee? It's pretty cheap, just one middle of the road Tesla, no big deal.

:qq:

There is a pretty big qualifying "if" in my statement, but aren't tesla modules only $2-$5K or so, or am I way out of the ballpark?

(edit: guess I was way out of the ballpark, but really, $10-$15K for a 2x Tesla K10 system is still cheap compared to developer time. I'm still at the stage where I am not even sure what the difference between the high end Quadro and Tesla powered workstations are though, so continuing on this topic would probably be a derail)

Chuu fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Aug 18, 2012

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Factory Factory posted:

2) i5-2500, right? Use the IGP.

Didn't even think about that, thanks.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I noticed that there are a ton of GTX 670 and GTX 680 4GB cards on the market. At what resolution do you actually need that much memory?

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
One more question about 4GB cards, if you have two 2GB cards in SLI, are the textures duplicated or is it essentially the same memory addressing as a single 4GB card?

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Just got a new factory overclocked GTX 680 (I know I really should have gotten a 670 but I just wanted to splurge and get the best for once) and want to stress it to make sure it's completely stable.

Is furmark still a video card killer, or assuming this card is stable, should it be safe to run overnight assuming the temps plateau at a reasonable temperature? Also, what is a reasonable temperature for the GTX 680?

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

printf posted:

Is big Kepler going to get a consumer release? That might change the game a bit.

nVidia has stated that the rumors that the 7xx series were going to be based on the GK110 are false. There's nothing solid on exactly what the 7xx series is going to look like.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Alereon posted:

Anandtech has a quick WiiU teardown and hardware analysis. There's a POWER7 CPU (I guess that puts paid to the idea that POWER7 isn't power-efficient enough for consoles)

Do people care about the power efficiency of their consoles? Other than the size of the brick I'm not sure most people are conscious of it.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What video cards support GSync? Somehow I completely missed this reading through all the tech articles.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Agreed posted:

I don't know about y'all but this G-Sync stuff is some stuff I would totally buy. Like, the more I think about it, the more sense it makes and I'm hyped as hell (as well as wondering why someone didn't already do it, given that the need to sync refresh to power or refresh to phosphor fade rate went away in like 2004).

This is going to be some cool tech.

G-Sync is putting me off buying a 2nd 2713HM. I just hope that there are good 27" IPS GSync panels avaliable near launch.

At least at the high end, I don't see how GSync doesn't completely destroy AMD in the next generation unless they can quickly come up with similar tech or quickly find out how to interop with it. The more I read about it the more I'm convinced this is really revolutionary tech.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Factory Factory posted:

EVGA is who you go to for an *actually* good warranty and good cards.

I avoided eVGA for about 11 years because around the GeForce2 era they were complete poo poo and refused to RMA a GF2MX that I bought direct from them that had purple blotches on my screen due to bad memory.

I'm still surprised how much better they've gotten over the years.

Still won't shop at TigerDirect though.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Ghostpilot posted:

I actually find this rather enticing. What is wrong with me?

I'd buy 4 slot dead silent video cards every generation if they didn't carry a ridiculous premium (£551=$890; plus the cost of fans)

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

MrBadidea posted:

The cheapest I can find a 290X for in the UK from a place I'd actually want to buy from is £515. 780s are actually cheaper over here than that.

An extra £35 for a heatsink that physically big doesn't seem that bad at all.

Why is gaming hardware so gently caress-off expensive over there?

Chuu fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Oct 26, 2013

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone know if Shadowplay will be avaliable on NVS cards? The company I am working for is investigating capture software and it'd be awesome if we could essentially get it for free.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Why are miners even buying rigs anymore when ASIC miners blow them out of the water in terms of GH/WH?

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

fookolt posted:

I think it's because ASIC miners are very difficult to actually purchase.

It's not that hard to purchase one right now because the next gen units (which are very hard to purchase) are soon going to appear in the wild and are much more efficient thanks to a die shrink.

I've seen some people unloading Avalons on Tradeloop of all places.

EDIT: I suspect a lot of miners are essentially arb'ing free electricity into money; because unless we hit $1K/coin again there is no way they're ever going to be profitable.

Chuu fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Feb 19, 2014

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Nephilm posted:

Altcoin mining is very popular and there aren't ASICs for it. In fact, the current profitability method for cryptocurrency mining is to mine litecoins or some other poo poo, trade for bitcoins, then trade bitcoins for dollars at coinbase.

I haven't done much research into altcoins; but I heard the algo behind litecoin mining was as efficient on nVidia GPUs as ATI? Is that not true?

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I have a 680 and have been tempted to upgrade for Witcher 3. Can't find any benchmarks since this card is so old, and I really have no idea where it falls in line with the 9xx series. Anyone know how its performance compares, or a site with good benchmarks?

If I'm planning a big system refresh around skylake, is it better to buy something a little further down the totem pole if the next gen is going to be here soon?

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the replies, wait it is. Especially since I'm kind of in the same boat as parrot -- now that I can actually afford these things I have no time for them.

About when is the next gen of nVidia cards expected?

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Don Lapre posted:

I bought 2 titan x's and the game i play most is quake live

My 680 4GB absolutely kills at Hearthstone.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Bleh Maestro posted:

Dude I swear my headphones sound more true to life when I run bacon grease on the 3.5mm jack.

It's really weird how different the Videophile and Audiophile camps are. The former is completely filled with people who rely almost completely on measurement. The latter is filled with people who rely almost completely on testimonial. I wish I knew why they ended up so different.

(Snide Answer: Audio reproduction is a much easier problem and has been solved for more than 50 years. If you rely on measurement there's really nothing to do.)

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

necrobobsledder posted:

For a while when we were on VGA standard still and in the 90s, I remember the DACs and ADCs used by ATI were better than nVidia's cards by a few decibels maybe which at least meant less chance of aliasing artifacts and also better demonstrable color range for certain video pros (not relevant for gamers or anything). Can't remember the review I saw that rated video cards similar to how you'd measure signal response from speakers but that was interesting then. Funny enough, we do have a digital VGA standard now, but nobody implements it except maybe three vendors.

And hard drive seek noise is audible on many laptops for me still :(

I'll contend that until the mid 80s or so DACs were not that great / efficient until the modern 1 bit DAC was perfected (early 80s had some issues for a while). Hardly 50 years. Christ, early Motown Records didn't have stuff that would remotely compete with a fuckin' iPhone 3G's DAC or any of its ADCs then.

Yeah, I was exaggerating a bit, and I was mainly meaning the analogue stuff. I spent some time building amps and involved with the DIY audiophile croud, and some of the circuits people swear by; especially all the Class A stuff; is from the 80's or earlier. Some of it much earlier.

I know how much BS there is in the audiophile community, but that's not going to stop me from buying an Essence One MkII MUSES edition as soon as it's avaliable in the United States. The fact that ASUS, a computer company, basically hit a home run on their first shot at a standalone DAC/AMP says a lot. Something like the Essence One must have been trivial to put out compared to Motherboards where you literally have to model every trace for an optional result.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Purgatory Glory posted:

Wow, I clicked purchase expecting to be taken to a link calling me a gullible retard. Instead it really asked me for $159.00 for 3 aquarium rocks in a bag.

Machina Dynamica started as a joke, but people started sending them money. It's much more obviously a joke now with products like this -- but check out some of their earliest pages in the Wayback Machine.

To provide context, isolation platforms for speaker cable are actually a thing audiophiles buy. The theory being that your cables being on the ground increases microphonics from vibrations and increases the capacitive effect of the insulation. You can find tons of testimonials about how much of a difference these make at the margins!

I am actually having a ton of trouble trying to find a place that sells these, but you can see a picture of what I'm talking about here:

Audiophiles go through fads, and around the time Machina Dynamica popped up these were super popular -- and on the theory that more expensive is better -- sites respected by the community were absolutely selling versions of these for $100+ each.

EDIT: Linked the wrong product, having trouble finding the exact one I am thinking of -- which were platforms for just the cables and not your entire rig. Isolation platforms are definitely still a thing people buy -- mainly for vinyl. You can easily spend thousands on these, with some fancy ones based on extreemly strong magnets and ferrofluids. Meanwhile -- research scientists that need to isolate highly sensitive equipment from vibrations use platforms floating in pits of sand. A $20 solution.

Chuu fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jul 3, 2015

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Ak Gara posted:

I like how MSI do theirs. This was from their official channel before they took it down for some reason?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSCVahyh3Dk

I too use toothpaste as my TIM of choice.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Gwaihir posted:

(Derail, but) Witcher 1 isn't at all worth playing really compared to 2 and 3.

I hate you. I probably spent 60 hours on Witcher 1, got to the end of Chapter 4, and stopped playing for a couple of days (anyone who has played knows why). In those couple of days, my hard drive died and I lost all progress. It was such a great game I've been tempted to go back and replay it to the end instead of just watching a LP to get the part of the story I missed -- and have been putting off Witcher 2/3 until then.

If 2/3 are that much better than 1, well, guess I have to get on that.

Just please tell me there is a way to cheat potions. I spent way too much time in the Inn making them.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

SwissArmyDruid posted:

As of this moment, the sole supplier of HBM is SK Hynix. No other fabs have announced or committed to HBM production.

Slightly off topic, but does SK Hynix have a house brand like Micron and Samsung do?

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

DrDork posted:

Yes; the entire idea of the Fury X has turned out to be pointless, unless they plan on producing so few of them that the die-hard price-be-damned AMD fanboy demographic will be sufficient to absorb the stock, and the media attention of having a sorta-competing card is worth the R&D costs. In either case they should have released the Nano up front, generated a bunch of sales while eating away at 970's market share, and left the 295x2 as the "top end halo" card, since it actually can compete with the 980Ti both in performance and price (albeit with the usual CF caveats), then revisit the issue in 6-12 months.

I think the counterpoint is that the Fury X would have been a great card if the 980 Ti didn't exist, and the 980 Ti sort of came out of nowhere. I can't imagine AMD is nimble enough to correct course that fast with how deep their financial troubles are.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I use to care pretty deeply about the price/performance curve, and it's still interesting to talk about. I'm looking to upgrade, and I'm coming from a 680Ti. Checking my e-mail, I bought it in Sept. 2012. If my next upgrade lasts that long, that's a whole $2/month per $100 extra I spend. It's really hard not to really shoot near the top end of the range when cards last so long these days; which makes buying at the end of a product cycle extra agonizing.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Blackfyre posted:

Well realistically speaking and based on past experience I would expect Nvidia to push ahead when they do push out a new round of cards. Would expect something around sept/oct.

The demand for the compute version of Pascal is so ridiculously high right now I'd expect the consumer versions to take significantly longer to appear than normal, or launch with extreemly limited supplies. People have been throwing around Q1 2017 for quantity shipments, but I wouldn't be surprised if supplies are tight even that far ahead.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Well, guess it's time to finally upgrade from my 680. Especially since I've started to play around with covnets.

Any idea how close to the 27th we'll see how each vendor is packaging the card, or will the launch be reference HSF only?

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Does it make sense to jump on a 1080 next week, or wait until the non-reference cards show up? Any previews or leaks on actual specs of aftermarket cards?

Also, if you do jump on a FE card, what's the preference in terms of brand? I assume it's all the same spec -- but different warranties?

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

RedQueen posted:

If anyone is trying to get a 1080 sooner rather than later, my advice is to use nowinstock.net and set up text message alerts (they will arrive a minute or two before e-mail alerts). Add the SKUs/vendors you want to track, http://www.nowinstock.net/computers/videocards/nvidia/gtx1080/

Do you know if the text alerts come sooner than sitting on their webpage with auto notify? I've been trying to snag one all day; even when I immedietly click they're already OOS.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Looks like supply is finally to the point that everything isn't selling out instantly. The Gigabyte aftermarket was in stock on newegg for a good 15 minutes, probably because at $720 it's ridiculously overpriced. You can "preorder" FE cards on many sites now as well.

Of course, the Asus STRIX on newegg sold out in 6 minutes for $670. Since it's the highest clocked aftermarket clock right now plus ASUS' reputation that's expected. I had one in my cart, but didn't get through checkout fast enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

macnbc posted:

Then they can sell backorders for a higher price and let lazy suckers like me pay a premium to sit in a queue for a guaranteed product.

I'm guessing this is why so many FE cards are available for preorder now. We're past the point that nVidia can charge the $100 early adopter tax for a reference card.

I'm pretty sure that legally sites can't sell preorders for stock they don't have allocation for. Someone in retail probably knows for sure.