Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
I ordered a HD7850 Tuesday and Amazon still hasn't shipped it. I guess that's what I get for selecting the free shipping.:f5:

The main reason I got one is that I saw in benchmarks the HD7850 runs Skyrim and BF3 a lot better than the 560Ti. Is there a specific reason for this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

I got my HD7850 today and I have an issue where when the screen goes into standby after inactivity the screen does want to come back even after moving the mouse, tapping the keyboard, and turning the screen off and back on. I have to hit the reset button or press and hold the power button to shut it down. It has happened twice so far so is it a driver issue or a bad card?

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

I overclocked my HD7850 to 1GHz and ran the Heaven Benchmark 3.0 on it for about an hour without issues. The GPU only got to 61C under load at 1GHz too. :stare::fh:

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

The 1GHz GPU overclock I got on my HD7850 is with stock voltage so did I just get a good one?

Edit: It's the stock clocked Sapphire card BTW.

spasticColon fucked around with this message at 19:59 on May 26, 2012

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

According to GPU-Z, the voltage on my 7850 is 1.075V so how far could I push it on that voltage?

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

Agreed posted:

There really isn't a blanket statement that applies there. Overclock it, test it, come back and report. Help us build information to give people, experiences to share :)

I have now pushed it to 1050MHz which is as far AMD OverDrive in the Catalyst Control Center will allow and the Heaven benchmark 3.0 has been running fine for over an hour now but I haven't messed with the VRAM clocks yet.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

Yeah my HD7850 won't fold either until there is a software update for Folding@Home. As for the overclocking I'm going to leave it at the 1050MHz and call it a day. From what I've read online if I want to go higher I would probably have to bump up the voltage and I don't feel like doing that.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

After reading about how fast the GTX 680 and 670 are I'm worried that Nvidia's mid-range offerings will be faster but cost the same or even less and I already pulled the trigger on a HD7850. I'm worried a GTX 660Ti will cost the same and yet be faster and overclock more.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

I know that nvidia cards have PhysX but does AMD have any hardware accelerated physics engines that run on their cards? And if so, do any games actually support it?

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

So does this mean I shot myself in the foot getting a HD7850 back in April?

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

So my HD7850 maintains its value that is until Nvidia cuts prices a few months down the line. I'm really tempted to get a second HD7850 for my i3-2120 system I use on my HDTV because the HD6850 I have in it now is starting to show its age especially with high-res texture packs and newer games at 1080p versus the HD7850 in my i5-2500K rig. I think the 1GB VRAM is starting to bottleneck at 1080p with AA and high-res textures on top of that. Would a i3-2120 bottleneck a HD7850?

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

I'm having this weird issue with my Sapphire HD7850 in my main rig. After installing the newest driver the card makes a weird creaking noise for about a second after the monitor goes into sleep/standby mode. And it keeps doing it at random intervals until I move the mouse and wake up the monitor then the noise goes away. The card is working just fine otherwise so what's the deal? :iiam:

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

Yeah I saw the price drops too and I would like to get a second HD7850 this one for my i3-2120 rig that's hooked up to my HDTV for console ports. The HD6850 I have in there now is starting to show its age at 1080p compared to the 7850 in my main 2500K rig. Is it worth waiting for the Sleeping Dogs promotion?

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

I got a 7850 for my main rig back in April and one for my HDTV rig just last week and both cards overclock to 1GHz without issue so that probably gets them close to 7870 speeds I would think.

One thing I noticed with my newer 7850 is that its also a Sapphire card like the first one I got but the cooler is a little different and the stock voltage is a bit higher.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

wipeout posted:

Does anybody have a 7850 card, and have a problem where the fans spin up every 10 seconds or so when the card is in long idle (black screen) ?

I have an MSI twin frozr IV 7850 that does this, and not convinced getting a replacement is going to solve it (seems very much like the Radeon Spin up bug).

I'm wondering if I'm having this issue with both of my Sapphire HD7850 cards. I have one in my main i5-2500K rig and one in my i3-2120 rig hooked up to my HDTV. After the screen goes black I hear the fans spin up for about a second or two every 10-20 seconds. If I set the monitor to never go into sleep mode it stops but then I have to manually turn off the monitor or my HDTV.

Both cards overclock to 1050MHz without issue so I can't complain too much. I just wonder why AMD never released a HD7850 GHz Edition but I guess that would decrease the value of the HD7870.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

Yeah I'm having issues with each of my HD7850 cards in each of my systems especially with Skyrim and Batman: Arkham City. This article here sums up the main problem I'm having even with newest beta drivers:

http://techreport.com/review/24022/does-the-radeon-hd-7950-stumble-in-windows-8

With Skyrim I get graphical glitches and the stuttering unless I play the game in windowed mode then I just get graphical glitches.

And with that, I'll be switching back to nvidia when I upgrade again.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

kuddles posted:

I was going to post that. Of course both the AMD and Nvidia fanboys are going nuts but the real point of the article is that current benchmarking comparisons of just listing the average or maximum FPS don't tell the whole story about how well a card works on particular games.

I'm not an Nvidia or AMD fanboy and both of my HD7850 cards are doing this in both of my systems (single card in each machine; no crossfire) in the same games. Even with the newest beta driver and catalyst application profile I still get stuttering in Farcry 3 if I enable AA. With Skyrim I get stuttering and graphical glitches. With Arkham City I get stuttering even if I disable the DX11 features and AA. And its not like these games use OpenGL like Rage does these games all use DirectX although I have read reports online that the new drivers break some DX9 games or games in DX9 mode for some reason Skyrim being one of them. Is it the hardware itself that is causing this issue or did they just botch the drivers?

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

Jan posted:

Sadly, that's not even known at this point. I've read through the Guru3D post that was linked earlier, and it does seem to vary wildly between games and drivers. I didn't really have any issues when I first got the 7850s, and it's been getting noticeably worse over time, so it could be drivers or just hardware degrading.

I'll be running some more tests, although it's hard to test anything without having a precise repro case.

The problem started for me with the 12.10 drivers and the subsequent beta drivers really haven't improved anything other than Farcry 3 running smoother as long as I keep AA disabled. If they issue a recall of these cards I'm going to cry and depending on how much xmas money I get, order a few nvidia cards for my systems.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

What I find confusing and frustrating is other people have HD7850 cards and aren't having issues with the newest beta driver and catalyst application profile but I still am on my both cards in both systems. Could it be because they are both Sapphire cards?

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

Well I caved and ordered a 660Ti for my main rig that was on sale a few days ago and got it today and guess what no more stuttering, hitching or graphical glitches. And the games that weren't messing up run better as well. PhysX in Borderlands 2 and Arkham City is really loving cool too. And yes I know I wasted my money on a incremental upgrade but I don't care because it was xmas money.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

McCoy Pauley posted:

Which 660ti did you get? I'm looking into those myself for a PC I'm building, and between the various models offered by the manufacturers I'm looking at (EVGA, ASUS, and Zotac), my head is spinning with the various options.

I got the ASUS one that was on sale for $275 free shipping on newegg but they make ones that run at different clock speeds. The custom cooler on it is HUGE so if you get one make sure you have room for it in your case but it fits just fine in my Corsair Carbide 400R.

One thing I noticed about my card is even though is supposed to be a stock clocked card the turbo boost according to GPU-Z is running 1084MHz when it should be only running at 980MHz and GPU-Z even says that the boost clock should be 980MHz but when I put a load on the video card it shoots up to 1084MHz for a few minutes then settles back to 1071MHz. I checked my order and newegg sent me the right card so I wonder if ASUS put one of their cards with a more aggressive turbo clock in the wrong box. The GPU gets kinda warm too up to 76-78C under load so should I be worried? When it does get that warm the turbo goes down further to 1051MHz though. The voltage reads at 1.175 under load as well which is the normal boost voltage for a 660Ti so I'm kind of confused. They can throttle up that much on stock voltage?

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

My 660Ti gets up to 76-78C under load and the boost clock is still running at 1051MHz when it should only running at 980MHz. And this is the card's factory settings I didn't tweak them in any way. Should I be worried?

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

Glen Goobersmooches posted:

The boost clock reading in GPU-Z isn't dynamic (or even accurate) and ultimately doesn't mean anything, stop sweating it. The 660Ti is 915MHz @ stock, many perfunctory "OC" models are adjusted up to 980MHz because it's an easy, safe target.

That's what making me scratch my head is that the first tab in GPU-Z shows everything running at stock speeds including the boost clock but when I run a graphics intensive game like Metro 2033 the second tab that displays the clockspeeds it shoots up to 1051MHz or even 1084MHz and the GPU gets up to 76C according to GPU-Z. And I got the ASUS 660Ti with the HUGE direct heatpipe heatsink that comes with it. The fans on it do speed up but goddamn this is probably one of the biggest factory installed custom coolers I have ever seen on a video card. The fans rev to about 60 percent according to GPU-Z but I don't know if that's accurate because I'm not hearing the fans rev up while playing a game or rev down after I exit a game.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

I got the ASUS 660 Ti for my main rig so if it were to go bad how is the customer support at ASUS? I thought ASUS was still the best of the best in terms of motherboards anyway so I assume their video cards are of good quality too.

And since I got more xmas money that expected and it went on sale the other day for $250 on newegg I ordered an EVGA 660 Ti for my Entertainment Center rig. But it only has the reference cooler on it so its going to run hotter and louder.

And about the 660 Ti cards, is the semi-gimped memory bus a big deal or will it become a big deal with future games?

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

The EVGA 660Ti I got for my HDTV rig makes this humming sound regardless of GPU load or fan speed so I'm assuming its the fan motor but should I be worried? The card is running great so far but it gets a bit warm and noisy under load but that's par for the course with the stock/reference cooler.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

Rexxed posted:

It's probably coil noise, which I haven't personally experienced but I've seen mentioned in this and other threads a few times before.

I don't think its coil noise because its not nearly as high pitched and the sound is constant. If I pause a game I hear some coil whine then but I still hear the humming noise. It's not the fan because the noise does not change in volume, intensity, or pitch but I hear the fan rev up if I've been playing a game for a while and its sounds completely different from this sound. It sounds a lot like hard drive whine but I disconnected the HDD and booted into the bios and the noise was still present. If its just benign electronic noise of some kind I'm not going to worry about it because the card runs great and the noise is barely audible. Maybe the noise is coming from the motor that runs the blower/fan on the video card?

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

Factory Factory posted:

Intel has made a preliminary announcement for the third-gen Havok physics engine. Details are scarce, but given how they are hyping consoles (especially after Nvidia announced PhysX for PS4) and given the fact that Havok and AMD demo'd OpenCL physics effects back at GDC 2011, we may be looking at a GPU-accelerated engine, here. It will definitely be scaleable, though, because it's also touting mobile platform support.

We can expect more solid news and reviews after GDC at the end of the month.

How is Nvidia going to bring PhysX to the PS4 if the GPU in it is an AMD Radeon chip? Or are they talking about CPU-based PhysX?

Speaking of which, the amount of unified RAM in the PS4 is impressive (8GB GDDR5 :stare: ) but since the GPU in only about on par with an HD7850 wouldn't the GPU itself suffer bottlenecking long before using all that high-speed unified RAM?

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

With newer games eating more VRAM will the memory bus on my 660Ti start to become a problem in the near future? Right now it seems my 660Ti is borderline overkill at 1080p but with the new consoles coming with GPUs having access to 8GB of GDDR5 RAM I fear that video cards with 2GB of VRAM or less will become obsolete very quick.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

When the next-gen GPUs launch in 2014 will they still be DirectX 11 based or will we see the first generation of DirectX 12 cards?

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

The Lord Bude posted:

The PC Specs list for Metro: Last Light has been released:

http://www.pcauthority.com.au/News/340240,metro-last-light-pc-specs-revealed.aspx

Recommended specs are a gtx580 or 660.

Optimum spec is a gtx690 or gtx Titan.

Hello Next Gen. You're a tad late.

How the hell is this game coming out on the PS3 and 360 and not the PS4 and the next Xbox. :psyduck:

Those optimum reqs...Jesus Christ. :stare:

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

I game at 1080p on a 660Ti. This game is going make my video card explode. :negative:

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

Jan posted:

Remember that Metro 2033's "Best" settings uses some prohibitively expensive AA, DoF and SSAO settings. Turning those off makes it playable in 2560x1600, for little to no loss of visual quality. I wouldn't be surprised if they pile up even more expensive PostFX this time around that can be turned off for massive performance gains.

I really don't care about DoF and SSAO but I do want some AA because jaggies annoy the hell out of me. And since my monitor is only a 23" 1080p display I usually only need 2X MSAA to solve that problem in most games.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

With all this talk of 2GB VRAM not being enough, will my 2GB 660Ti cut the mustard at 1080p on high settings until Maxwell (and Skylake) drop?

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

That's just insane because the GPU in the PlayStation 3 is essentially a GeForce 7800 GTX.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

How does the 760 that has fewer cores edge out the 660Ti? Is it because the memory bus isn't gimped?

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

drat I missed that I thought the 760 had the same number of ROPs as the 660Ti and now I feel like my ASUS 660Ti is badly gimped. Can overclocking compensate for the eight ROPs that were cut?

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

I just noticed with my ASUS 660Ti that with certain games during loading screens the fans on it make what sounds like a rattling sound for a second or two then it goes away. Is this a glitch with the newest driver or is there something wrong with my card?

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

Well this card has one of those big aftermarket coolers on it already with two fans instead of the stock blower cooler and I just blew out what little dust was in it a few weeks ago. I've had this card for less than a year so is it RMA time?

Edit: It's this card here:

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-video-card-gtx660tidc22gd5

spasticColon fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jun 25, 2013

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

How about that...I rolled back to the 314.22 drivers just now as well and the fans on the pre-installed custom cooler on my ASUS 660Ti stopped freaking out during loading screens.

spasticColon fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jun 30, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

Now my ASUS 660Ti with a nice non-reference cooler is running hotter in my better ventilated main rig than my EVGA 660Ti with the reference blower cooler in my less ventilated HDTV rig. I'm talking by about 5 degrees Celius hotter despite having a better cooler and better ventilation. The card isn't overheating yet but when I first got it under load the temps would peak around 70C now they are peaking at 80C. I just blew what little dust was in it out so what's the deal?