Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.
Oh man why didn't I do a little more research: I am returning a Sapphire VaporX 7950 OC that has been showing artifacts since I purchased it and replacing it with a MSI Twin Frozr 7950. I chose the TF one because my last card was the 560Ti TF and that card was a beast, barely going over 70c even when overclocked to hell.

A quick google shows tons of threads of people complaining about high temps on these 7950 TFs. What happened MSI? I'm probably going to keep it since 82c doesn't seem too bad, but poo poo I missed how silent my last one was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.

Dominoes posted:

Blow the dust out. Mine started overheating and throttling. Removing the dust dropped the temp 30C.

God drat, that must've been some insane dust. You an indoor smoker?

Anyway, let the card sit at 100% load(Dead Island maxed) all night and it was sitting at 82c when I woke up with the max being 84c with the fan at 90%. I dunno, something has to be up half with these cards. think I am going to get a replacement because I've been seeing tons of people say theirs runs at 65-70c max load while overclocked. Hopefully I don't get another bad one.

MSI get your poo poo back together!

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

Ok well, I am returning this MSI Twin Frozr 7950. An hour or so into Rift I noticed some weird stuttering and checked the temp: 95c with the fan at 100%. Not good.

I am going to try this Vaporx for a few more days, the artifacts I saw on it were limited to Diablo 3 on Windows 8 which was running on a failing SSD. I am using a fresh SSD now and back to Win7 so let's see how this goes. Both these cards can't be bad right?

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

Windowed games don't anti alias so fullscreen is hitting your GPU harder.

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

That title and chart is leading me to believe our planet doesn't really need it's core to work.

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

Any chance we will see any sort of price drops for something like a 780ti on black friday or maybe Christmas? When I heard about the EVGA step up program I got exicted because I have a 670 FTW but I guess the program is a little more limited in scope than the name implies. Don't get me wrong this card is great and is overclocked like crazy but it's not getting 60 fps in Ultra on Bf4 and that is not the only reason I want to upgrade I swear.

GPU Megathread - AMD R290X-Methyl-Ethyl-Ketone

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

Yea I'm gonna just wait and cross my fingers on a price break. I have a friend who wants to take my 670 off my hands for 200, but can't quite pay me yet. So if I can get that and maybe spend around $500 more total I can feel pretty justified in buying one.

Maybe for the time being I will just see how much juice I can squeeze out of this 670 FTW. I've never done a real OC on a GPU(i just cranked the mhz up by 70 and called it a day when I got it) as most of the time I've never needed to just , but I really want to play BF4 with those textures all the way up. I should have never changed it to ultra, now it pains me to play just on high! Take advantage of this warranty.

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

Agreed posted:

I don't want to say it's impossible to kill your card without doing BIOS modifications, but... It's really, really hard. Cards handle a too-heavy overclock gracefully under all but the most extreme temperature situations. The only way you could actually expect to damage the card is if somehow you put it in a situation where it attempts to draw more power than your PSU can provide. Apart from that, nVidia (and EVGA, for that matter) have been careful in designating the allowed deviance from nominal values in overclocking, sometimes in a rather draconian fashion - GTX 780s, for example, only allow 38mV of overvolting. If Precision X allows you to make the voltage change, it's almost certainly safe. If you push the core too much or the memory too much, you'll driver crash (or, in extreme situations, hard lock or bluescreen and it'll reset to factory on booting back up). Manufacturers are not super keen on the idea of people killing their cards and pointing angry fingers, and EVGA's FTW version should be pretty carefully binned for performance anyway. It's almost certain that you'll run into the hard TDP limit before you can do anything that would damage the card. There are five user exposed protections but several other safeguards to protect the hardware from damage. Overclocking a graphics card has been made much safer than overclocking a CPU, with the trade-off being that you can't go quite as crazy on a GPU since they're already careful in the validation and binning process and don't have much "waste" for you to take advantage of anyway.

I don't want to give you a false sense of untouchable security, it is possible to damage a card by overclocking it, but it's really, really difficult.

Thanks I'm gonna head back over to the Overclock thread and follow the real over clock part of the guide, not the quick one. I stopped my overclock where it was because I just randomly slided them up and everything has worked fine.

TheRationalRedditor posted:

A 670 will run BF4 on ultra everything at 1080p extremely well. Mine definitely does. You should overclock it more.

I see drops down to 38-39 and with most of the fighting around 50 where I am at now. Are you staying at basically 60 on ultra?

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

Agreed posted:

I actually wrote a guide for overclocking nVidia cards, and while it applies specifically to Boost 2.0 and its great temperature target adjustment, it still applies to any Kepler card that uses GPU Boost tech at all. And all you have to do with a 670 or 680, honestly, is move the power % slider as far right as it'll go (132% on that unit, I think?) and then balance core offset with memory offset. nVidia's 770 refresh solved two problems with the GTX 680/670. First, it gave them a nice TDP boost to play with; you'll as likely as not run into power limitations around the same time, if not before, you run into limitations on how fast the core and VRAM will overclock. Second, they upped the VRAM to 1750MHz GDDR5. Before that, the 670/680 were bandwidth starved. Which means yours is bandwidth starved. You'll need to balance overclocking the memory with overclocking the core, or else you'll have a core that runs faster than the card can move stuff in and out of memory to accommodate it, or you'll sink all your available power into a too-high memory overclock that doesn't leave room to OC the core. GK104 was a real balancing act before the 700 series and the GTX 770. But you've almost certainly got a lot more performance than you're using at the moment.

In EVGA Precision X the power slider goes up to 145%, should I still crank it all the way up?

I went to 120% and did 35/57 gpu/mem offsets so far in BF4 I haven't gone under 50, it's much better. Later tonight Im gonna try real stress tests(that unreal one) but if it's stable for 4 hour battlefield sessions that's good enough though basically right?

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

He's not picking parts, he's asking if he can use a quadro and a gtx in the same machine and which I think the answer is yes. You'll probably want to get a higher end mother board made for dual GPUs so you can have both cards on x16. You might even be able to do a set up which uses the quadro as a physx processor too, since those are math beasts right?

edit: You might need to get a KVM switch or something if youre going to be outputting to the same monitor but I think there might be better solutions now .

Fallows fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Jan 22, 2014

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

veedubfreak posted:

Well I took the cards out and swapped some stuff around, the "middle" card still insists on being the primary card no matter which card is in the slot. This board is weird.

Is your middle card in the black slot? That one doesn't use the PLX so it will be x16 while the others are running at x8, I don't know if that makes any difference to which card is primary tho.

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

Is that from the lcdscreensforcheap store?

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

Also, a 750ti is going to be a significant downgrade compared to a 560ti I believe.

Actually it performs about the same according to benchmarks, but you have no performance now. I should just let the people who really know what they're talking about help you!

Fallows fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jul 8, 2014

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

Diviance posted:

I went from an eVGA 670 FTW 2GB and it was a significant increase. I went from 40-ish fps on high 1080p to 50-60 on Ultra with Ultra textures at 1440p in Shadow of Mordor.

I did not need the upgrade, but I definitely am happy with it.

I got the Gigabyte Gaming GTX 970.

This post is me exactly, but I went with the EVGA ACX 1.0. This thing is fast and being able to turn the textures up too was a big plus.

The fans at 100% are quite loud but I had to manually put it there to see how loud it was because they haven't gone above 60% and temps have never broke 65 so far with the automatic fan profile. Really happy with this purchase and I am going to be selling my old EVGA 2gb 670 FTW now. If anyone wants it pretty cheap(120?) PM me I'm gonna put it on SA mart soon.

I think it's time to get one of those Korean 1440p displays.

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

Don Lapre posted:

That doesn't even make sense. A modern high quality power supply can run 100% load without issues and sli 970 in their scenario wouldn't even break 450w, and thats probably measured at the wall which means the psu load is probably 400-425w

Even their numbers say 278 watts at full load + another 170 is 450 watts. Not sure why they recommend 800 after posting those numbers.

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

My EVGA 970 acx 1.0 is great. Running it overclocked to 1428 mhz boost and with my custom fan profile it barely breaks 65-67c in unengine benchmark with fans around 67-68%. Card is not loud at this point. I know I can push the clocks higher and when I have time I will, but I am very happy right now.

Dynamic super resolution is also amazing. So far I am using it in all my games.

WHat kind of clocks are you guys hitting?

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

floor is lava posted:

Bought a EVGA 970 sc with the 1.0 fans and no backplate. Heard there was also trouble with coin whine. EVGA is giving out free backplates for the cards though. Crossing my fingers I won't be hosed to hard. Should be a solid upgrade from my 570 and hopefully help with vr sickness due to low framerates.

Edit: Forgot the EVGA backplate link: http://www.evga.com/articles/00876/EVGAs-Got-Your-Back/

I've had this card for like 2 weeks, you won't regret your purchase at all.

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

ACX 1.0 buyer here, been using since Oct; What td4guy is saying about power delivery and overclocking seems pretty true for the evga acx. Mine doesn't stay stable at anything above 1420ish mhz on the stock voltages for the card which when talking to friends is a bit on the low end but still good. The other things about heat and noise have not been an issue for me, card never goes above mid 60s and fan above 40-50% which is really quiet still.

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

Wonder how much boost this has

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

BurritoJustice posted:

The new geforce experience update is pretty neat. It's a nice looking vendor agnostic game launcher now. It shows all my games from steam, origin and battle.net in one place. Shame the new shadowplay settings menu is confusing as gently caress

Looks the same to me..

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

Statutory Ape posted:

He didn't pick the worst valve product to speculate GPU purchases on from that era, at least

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KPIPIleULo

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

I've been reading a lot about CPU bottle necking and see a ton of conflicting information. I'm hoping this thread can set me straight because I need a little more FPS on my 1440p monitor.

So i currently have a AMD Ryzen 7 3700x and 32gb ram and I want to get a 4070 but sites like userbenchmark say my CPU will bottleneck the GPU and then I read forums that say that kind of talk is exaggerated and I should still be happy with the performance increase.

I've been on the fence for a few weeks now on wether to buy a whole new rig(i dont really want to as this one is fast) or to buy just a new GPU and that's where I freeze because I don't know what GPU to buy. Hoping you guys can help me!

Also my monitor has freesync if that matters.

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

Kazinsal posted:

Userbenchmark makes up tests designed to gently caress AMD over. The guy who runs it is a loving nutjob.

Well then It looks legit! But drat that sucks i've been fretting over a GPU because of that site for a long time lmao.

Guess I'm gonna just get the 4070 and enjoy it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

Don Dongington posted:

It's really going to depend on the games you play, and which GPU you're currently running.

As a rule, most FPS games will run perfectly well at 1440p with a 3700/4070 combo. You're unlikely to see CPU bottlenecks at 1440 on RT titles like CP2077 etc unless you're running lower detail levels to target 144hz+ specifically (don't). Baldur's Gate 3 and Starfield if I recall have some pretty CPU-heavy areas, but they're somewhat outliers at the moment. Management games such as Cities Skylines 2, Transport Fever etc are more CPU-intensive and are more likely to hitch and chug on the older CPU.

If I were in your position I would absolutely get the 4070 now, and then consider throwing in a cheap 5700x or one of the X3D chips if you're finding it's an issue with the games you play - otherwise I'd hang out until Zen 5 if it seems alright.

I’m running a 2060 at the moment, you still think it’s a good upgrade?

And thanks for all the info

Also I play a lot of RPGs, shooters, almost everything tbh. I want to be able to play games on higher settings and have more fps!

Fallows fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Apr 20, 2024