Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

I'd like a 1080ti, but the price :magical:

Seriously. Price:performance either a 1070 or 1080 really blow the Ti out of the water. I can't justify a $700+ card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Lockback posted:

I went from a 770 to a 1070, so that was a big jump. If I had a 970 I'd probably wait another generation. Everyone and their wallets are different though.

Yeah, I'm still happy enough with my 770; my monitor only does 60hz anyways so I figure I'll upgrade that and my video card whenever the 1170s or whatever come out.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

metallicaeg posted:

re: 1060 chat

As a 1060 6G owner, when this thing runs to over 2GHz with a 9GHz memory clock, it's still quite capable at 1440p.

I still want to get a used 1080 later this year just because, but claiming that it's not sufficient for beyond 1080p is just rubbish.

but you see games become unplayable beneath 200 frames per second at 4K on three monitors

:goonsay:

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Why is $50 magically being added to the price by having good drivers at release? I'd rather have a card that performs well at release than a card held back by bad software. Also if a card looks like it has bad performance but will get better later on that is actually terrible for consumers because it becomes much harder to make an informed decision on what to buy, sure people who bought a R9 290 got a good deal, but what about the people who bought a GTX 770? They got screwed, and not by Nvidia, but by the inability to make a good purchasing decision caused by AMD's awful DX11 drivers. Trying to turn bad drivers into a selling point is silly fanboyism.

I have a GTX770 from 2013, how did I get screwed? Not being pedantic, seriously asking. Is it that AMD's card was actually better but the lovely drivers at the time made it look like it wasn't?

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

eames posted:

:same:
it puzzles me because I imagine that most "gamers" with the disposable income for a $2000 screen (or $3500 laptop) are closer to 30 than 17, with a more understated taste in design.

Yeah, there's still this idea that well adjusted adults don't play video games, which is obviously wrong.

Sure, I know jobless goon poopsockers who game 60 hours a week, but they're the exception and not the rule. Gaming will be our (I'm assuming our) generation's golf so far as networking and socializing goes.

Point is, quit with the XREEEEME MonitorZ and the other garish poo poo. Just make something super functional for normal people.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

VulgarandStupid posted:

EVGA just started some sort of Elite membership program. I guess they'll let you get in on the pre-orders and such. It's a free program but I guess you need to own either an EVGA video card or a few of their other products to join it. Seems pretty silly, though.

That little PSU is capable of sustaining 350W, and has no problem 400W peaks. Not From Concentrate guy did a video on it on Youtube.

The power supply is the only part of your PC that can brick the rest. A good rule of thumb I've always followed is to have 20% more than your system needs at peak so you aren't running it at capacity all the time (thus wearing out the only part that can kill your pic faster).

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

ArgumentatumE.C.T. posted:

I bought a 1060 6GB to replace a 650 that I'm finally sick of. How stupid will I feel in one year?

I have a GTX770 and I'm just now hitting the "urrrrgh I need to upgrade" wall @1080 60hz. I'd imagine YMMV depending on what's acceptable to you, but I've been really happy with the card from 2013 to most of this year.

I'm forcing myself to wait for Volta. But then I'll end up building a whole new computer. Goddammit.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

CyberPingu posted:

Too bad for your wrong opinions on Doom 3 :colbert:

I hear that game was dark, confirm/deny?

I had a 5700 Ultra circa 2004, can't even remember the real name of it anymore.

I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on a 1080 or 1080ti and bitlording on the side now since, hey, free money because nerds!

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

CyberPingu posted:

Doom 3 was very dark...but is still a great game. Its not a great "Doom" game. But its a great survival horror game.

I agree, if it hadn't come out when Half Life 2 came out it would have been better received. Sorry for dragging a 13 year old meme out.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Fauxtool posted:

Nvidia webstore sells the 1070 for retail price and it in stock. What is wrong with people?

I just bought an EVGA 1070 FTW for $450 today.

I'm tempted to put it on EBay because holy gently caress nerds are dumb.

I mean, I'm dumb for paying $450, but I see 1070s for 600+ WHEN THEY'RE IN STOCK ONLINE.

Goddamn.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Risky Bisquick posted:

How many of you suckers are rocking 1080tis that gather dust as you add to your unplayed steam library or you simply play the latest indie 2d sidescroller.

Me in a few months.

drat you Dead Cells! drat you Steam sale!!

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Kazinsal posted:

It doesn't matter if it's $20 cheaper than the 1080 for 1080 performance if it sucks down 375 loving watts of power to do that.

Considering that it's what, 14 months late now?

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Kazinsal posted:

It's genuinely amazing what happens to discussion quality when you gate out the retards with a $10 cover charge.

B-b-but why would I pay so much for something that's free somewhere else?! Over my 12 years registered that comes to ~EIGHTY cents a year! UNACCEPTABLE.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Peanut3141 posted:

If you've made it 12 years without paying for plat, I'm impressed. If not, your burritos/year computation needs updating.

Donated to me. Min-maxing burritos for lyfe. :smuggo:

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

This graph has numbers for Nvidia that are higher than AMDs numbers. Bigger numbers are better.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Lockback posted:

There's another thread about this, but it's pretty easy to cash out Bitcoin now with services like coinbase. A bunch of people made a few hundred dollars profit running nicehash on GPUs they already had. I can't speak to the people running giant mining rigs, but it worked fine for people on the low-end.

That doesn't make it less crazy, but that's why people were doing it.

Yeah, I've made my money doing it and want to sell my 1070 to get a 1080ti or maybe wait for Volta.

I've never sold a video card before, is there a recommended way to do it? Not sure if this is the right thread, but if anybody would know, you guys would.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Don Lapre posted:

Somewhere around 2011

Goddrat

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Not even WCCFTech has ventured a guess yet as to when we'll see consumer Volta. That tells me we're still 9-12 months away.

If anything: http://wccftech.com/nvidia-graphics-cards-see-price-increases-starting-month-due-memory-shortage/

Well poo poo, might be time to sell the 1070 and cash in the buttcoins now for a 1080ti; I'll take six to 12 months of top of the line. What's the wattage under load for a 1080ti, 250w?

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Yeah, around 250W, maybe a tad higher in some situations, like 270W.

Sweet. I never realized that my old 770 was like 220w, so a 1080ti shouldn't be a problem at all, I've got plenty of room.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Why does making a cards better make it worse for buttmining?

GDDR5x is bad for buttcoin mining.

E: beaten

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Ihmemies posted:

:sad:

I had a 2560x1600 already with my HD4850!

Same but a GTX770

I made bad choices in 2013 okay

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Measly Twerp posted:

I don't have any idea what you're talking about. :suicide:

That pic looks as good as DayZ plays

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Okay, not directly a GPU question, but I figure the people here would know the answer -or be able to explain it better I suppose- to this question. I was playing Wolfenstein 2 on a GTX1070// i5 4670k ( a four year old processor); the game looks goddamn incredible and runs like loving butter, never dips below 60 frames @1440.

What makes one game run so goddamn well while another less fancy game runs like dog poo poo? I know the part of the answer is optimization and drivers, but what makes something like Wolf2 that looks so good run so much better than another older shooter?

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

crazypenguin posted:

Optimization shouldn't be brushed away. Sometimes people think of optimization as small incremental improvements, but really there are large structural things that can lead to literally a factor of 10 to 30 improvements in performance. Games rarely target being better than "good enough" and some of these are things where if you gently caress it up from the beginning then give up because it'd be a full rewrite to fix.

But the other thing that's happened is that the rendering techniques themselves have changed massively from the old days. Some games are more on the fore-front of this than others. Some of these are enabled by hardware (in that they need a certain minimum power to work at all), but a lot are just humans getting creative with better techniques. (Especially where lighting is concerned, and that's regarded as the big thing that makes rendered graphics look fake.)

If you've never seen it before, here's a good blog that does case studies of how games render. This one's for doom: http://www.adriancourreges.com/blog/2016/09/09/doom-2016-graphics-study/

Jesus Christ. I suppose I always knew that graphics are complex, but reading that gives me a better understanding of why idtech6 runs so well; the level of effort and creativity to get things to render so well is nuts.

I definitely have an appreciation for how much work goes into an engine now. Thanks for the post!

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

What model GTX 1070 has the best/quietest cooling? I've got an EVGA SC2 that I'm pretty happy with, but my buddy I'm doing a build for is pretty spergy about sound.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Fauxtool posted:

I have an old gaming computer with a 7970 on its last legs. I dont really need anything better to replace it. What are the low end gpus in the same performance range? I dont mind buying something used and out of warranty. Right now im looking at something around a 1050ti or used 960 or 770

I havent looked at the team red options yet, but i assume the rx560 is one. What are some good low cost options?

I've got a 2GB EVGA GTX770 I'll sell you for $50 + shipping if you want.

Works fine, used it as recently as July; it even ran PUBG (at low settings but it was playable).

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Fauxtool posted:

yeah dude sounds pretty good, its a dual fan one right?

Yeah man, PM me. I've got the box and all that crap. I can send pics.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

DrDork posted:

You are correct. That said, the inefficiencies of it are made up for by the overall speed of the card, so a 1080Ti still mines faster than a 1080 or 1070. The reason the 1070 is so popular for mining is because it is the most cost-efficient. Compared to the 1080Ti, a 1070 mines at about 70% the speed while only costing about 55% as much.

But, yeah, you can still make ~$3/day on a 1080Ti with NiceHash right now, if you're into that sort of thing.

Probably closer to $4.50 or so, my 1070 is pulling $2.50-3.00 today.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

It seems tragic that Freesync monitors are cheap as hell, but AMD top tier cards are garbage compared to Nvidia’s best. I can’t bring myself to dump a grand into a 144hz 1440 Gsync monitor when I see sub $300 Freesync monitors floating around.

:smith:

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Sniep posted:

IPS tho? All the cheap screens with freesync also seem to be TN film garbage, or maybe a VA type sacrificing frame rate to be 60/75hz tops....

Ah yeah, I’m sure they are TN (ew), but I’ve seen 144hz at stupid low prices. I go back and forth on whether or not it would be worth going to TN. IPS just looks so much... richer? Is that the right word? I dunno.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

God I loving hate that there isn’t a MicroCenter near me.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Zero VGS posted:

Do Titan V's even have anywhere near the ROI of any other card?

Edit: Link that poo poo please, I gotta see this.

It barely outdoes two 1070s in mining; you could get six or seven 1070s for the price of one Titan V. Stupid mining aside, dude should be smacked for thinking he’s going to make money on this when he could get triple the hashing power for the same price.

E: I mean yeah, Titans retain value pretty well, but for gently caress’s sake $12,000 in cards that aren’t a guaranteed profit and are 66% slower than their equivalent price in other cards. TO THE MOON VVVVV

tehinternet fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Dec 14, 2017

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

I’m not married to Nvidia or anything; if AMD made a card that was objectively better per dollar, I’d switch to them.

That being said, why would anyone use AMD cards (unless they’re getting them used at a great price or some outlier case)? Their flagship from a couple months ago is barely better than Nvidia’s second best card at a price that’s higher.

I mean... I just don’t understand what their strategy is. There’s no reason I can think of -as someone who plays video games- that would make me think about switching. They’re not competitive on performance and they’re not competitive on price.

Do they understand how business works? I want them to do well so NVidia has competition and a compelling reason to not raise prices (lol) and AMD is just making GBS threads the bed.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

VulgarandStupid posted:

Maybe if they bought a Freesync monitor and are continuing to live in denial.

Yeah, Freesync seems like the last real reason to justify buying AMD; it’s amazing how cheap those monitors are.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Palladium posted:

Too bad for AMD, VRR is now part of the HDMI 2.1 standard, which NV means would have support that eventually, and my crystal ball says they wouldn't kill G-Sync but instead will differentiate it even further from the baseline VRR. Even the Freesync diehards will switch when that happens.

lmao Jesus Christ AMD is turbo hosed as far as GPUs go.

Not a good thing since Nvidia will charge whatever the gently caress they want, but it is what it is now.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Zero VGS posted:

I was looking at listings for Founders Edition GTX 1080ti cards, since I was thinking of flipping mine on eBay to get a custom-cooler version like an EVGA instead for around the same price.

I found a listing that is... interesting:

That dude owns and I hope someone bites.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Paul MaudDib posted:

Yeah, a 980 Ti is comparable to a 1070 (comparing both cards when overclocked). So if you're getting it at 1060 prices that's a good deal, especially since the 1070 itself is overpriced as gently caress right now.

EVGA GTX 1070 FE was up to $430 today. It’s even more insane than it was.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Cygni posted:

jesus loving christ

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Generic Monk posted:

so if i wanted to buy a graphics card i'm hosed because of crypto which i don't like, a game that i don't play, and a referendum that i didn't want. nice

Nah. Only if you want a GTX1070 (which are very nearly at 1080 prices now).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Zikan posted:

is the verdict on used cards still “don’t buy because cryptominers run four of them at 100% 24/7 in a milk crate with a table fan pointed at them?”

Thread wisdom is to get one from a manufacturer with a transferable warranty like EVGA.