Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

If anyone's waiting on the dual-fan overclocked EVGA SC Signature 2 GTX 680, it's apparently still coming, and more information will be released on it at the end of the month. (source)

No idea why you'd want it over the ASUS version aside from brand loyalty though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Low yields have caused a serious shortage in Kepler GPUs, and they're pretty much all sold out everywhere. Go search for a GTX 680 on Newegg right now. Nothin'. One model will show up in stock almost every weekday afternoon and sell out after five minutes. People have been using this Newegg screen-scraper app to try and get ahead.

The release of the GTX 670 has alleviated this somewhat, as they were able to release not-as-good chips with one bad SMX disabled. But now a lot of the 670s are sold out too.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Kramjacks posted:

Can anyone recommend a driver sweeper? A bunch come up when I google the term but I don't want to just install any random one without knowing if its good or not.
Phyxion's Driver Sweeper is the most popular and awesomest one.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

td4guy posted:

If anyone's waiting on the dual-fan overclocked EVGA SC Signature 2 GTX 680, it's apparently still coming, and more information will be released on it at the end of the month. (source)

No idea why you'd want it over the ASUS version aside from brand loyalty though.
This has been released now. It's factory overclocked a bit higher than any of the other EVGA SuperClocked series cards - and cheaper too!

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

If it makes you feel any better, I got the dual-fan EVGA GTX 680 and it gets pretty loud if I want to keep it under 65C.

By default, though, it is indeed pretty quiet. But it easily goes over 70C which causes it to automatically downclock itself.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

grumperfish posted:

they don't skimp on components (VRM's/minor heatsinks).
Speaking of minor heatsinks, I was surprised to see that my GTX 680's RAM chips are naked. Is vram cooling not really a big deal?

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

tijag posted:

Hmm, perhaps that's what I need to do.

I didn't enjoy the game very much though, so I uninstalled it and am now trying to work through ME1 and then ME2 for the first time.

Is anyone familiar with how to force AA in ME1 with nvidia gpu? I have googled this but the posts are all out of date.
Go to the nVidia Control Panel. Manage 3D settings. Program Settings tab. Add MassEffect.exe or whatever. Then set the antialiasing mode to override the application, then set the Setting to whatever level you want.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

From the company that brought you the GTX 560 Ti heatsink extravaganza...

...comes a new beast.

280 fins.

20 Heatpipes.

A passively-cooled GTX 680!

Holy cow.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

If the 660Ti is so memory-bottlenecked, then why do none of the factory overclocked cards come with a memory overclock?

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Whale Cancer posted:

Anyone here running the EVGA 660ti SC? I'm looking to see if there are any driver's other than the one on the EVGA website.
Some new beta drivers were posted a couple pages back.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

McCoy Pauley posted:

Can anyone help me figure out the difference between two different EVGA 660 ti cards -- the 660 ti FTW Signature2 and the regular 660 ti FTW?

I'm looking at them in a comparison chart on Newegg, and the only relevant difference I detect (with my admittedly untrained eye) is that the Signature2 has a slightly faster clock and 2 fans instead of 1. I assume this is slightly better. But also, it's $20 cheaper. Am I missing something, or is the Signature2 both slightly better and cheaper?
I agree. It looks like the Signature 2 is both slightly better and cheaper. However, your case has to have really good airflow to deal with the wacky dual-fan setup. That's the drawback.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Curiously, my EVGA GTX680 has coil whine specifically in the main menus in the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series of games. Nowhere else.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

movax posted:

Updated OP and thread title sorry for the delay :angel:
This is a small thing, but the OP still declares the GTX 680 as the fastest single-GPU card on the market in a couple of spots.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

SlayVus posted:

So I haven't updated my drivers in a bit, sitting on 314.22. I think the reason why I didn't update was because there were problems with the cards not down clocking while not in use among other things. Should I update or stay where I am? Single GTX 680.
I'm in the same boat as this guy. Anyone?

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Phiberoptik posted:

Is that typical for noise?
Yeah, but it's not nearly as noticeable when tucked away in a case.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Gonkish posted:

Prepare for a lot of "reporting" like this: http://www.gamepur.com/news/12283-battlefield-4-beta-pc-windows-8-vs-windows-7-performance-no-shuttering-incr.html

So, apparently, one guy's results with the BF4 beta show an increase in performance with Windows 8. That's what this thing is. One dude's results on an unfinished, unreleased game.
That's not even GPU-related. BF4 has some Windows 8 DX11.1 exclusive tweaks to improve CPU performance.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Has Nvidia released any specs on Maxwell parts yet, and if so, anyone know what kind of step up from current 780/Titan parts they will be? I'm right on the cusp of a new PC build, and I'm curious if I should just go with a 780, or wait for Maxwell.
No. They haven't even released specs yet for the 780Ti that was announced the other day.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

NVIDIA drops prices on GeForce GTX 780 and GTX 770 graphics cards

quote:

New prices

NVIDIA’s GeForce GTX 780 will receive a price cut over $100. That’s 499 US dollars or 430 EUR.

NVIDIA’s GeForce GTX 770 will now cost around $50 less (329 US dollars, 279 in EUR).

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

I just tested ShadowPlay on my GTX680. Works perfectly, as advertised. I love it!

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

fookolt posted:

How big is a one minute 1080p video?
330MB

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

NaDy posted:

Hey quick question. I just got a new 770, to connect it to the psu it's got 6 and 8 pin connections. My psu doesn't have any 8 pin connections, this is alright because it came with an 8 to 2x6 adapter. Problem is once that's plugged in I don't have another 6 pin port on my psu for the 6 pin connection to the card. It also came with a 6 pin to 2 molex adapter, and I have a couple of spare molex connections free, would it be fine to use the adapter and plug the 6 pin into 2 molexs?

Does this make any sense? I'm not amazingly savvy with this. The psu is 700w by the way so it should definitely have enough power, I'm just a bit paranoid with the connections that's all.
Sounds like you got it figured out with the molex adapters. And you're right, that's plenty of power.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

cat doter posted:

Yeah I figured it was fine I just get anxious about dumb poo poo with computers. Power supply fuckery is easily the highest on my list when it comes to computer anxiety. I'd hate to plug in a new GPU then immediately kill it.
You needn't worry about this. They actually shape the plastic stuff around the pins uniquely. It's done on purpose to prevent you from accidentally plugging your CPU 8-pin power cord into your GPU. Or vice-versa.

cat doter posted:

Speaking of computer anxiety, does anyone else have that moment of mild panic when plugging in a new GPU and waiting for your monitor to get a signal? It's always the worst part of upgrading. I've only ever had one DOA GPU too.
Yeah, oh man, yeah.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

I'm a bit sad that this first-generation G-Sync does away with the hardware scaler. I know I'm a small minority, but I like to plug consoles into my monitor too. Those often need scaling-up.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

I currently use a DP to VGA adapter myself for my secondary monitor (also used a Mini-DP to VGA before as well), but in my experience results have been mixed and at one point they have involved 1. Intel graphics drivers
Same. I bought this DP to VGA converter and it would randomly stop working at any resolution higher than 1680x1050. Using an Intel video chipset.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

HalloKitty posted:

I would definitely leave the monitors turned on in software, and just hit their power buttons instead, for now at least.
This isn't actually possible on some monitors when using DisplayPort. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2625567

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Agreed posted:

Battlefield 4 looks god damned amazing but I have zero interest in the genre of online multiplayer competitive FPS
Heck, I catch flak from my friends for turning up the graphics in that game with my 680. They say the added visual clutter from high graphics settings makes enemies harder to see, making me more likely to get killed. Turn everything to Low they say. *sigh* It's so pretty!

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Finnin posted:

Are prices for second hand ATI cards dropping now or something? I'm seeing some crazy poo poo on the market like a 40% drop in value on a lot of those things. I'm wondering because I've been thinking about selling my 7850 and upgrading for now and I'm worried I missed my opportunity.
You didn't miss anything. The 7850 was never very highly valued. I tried to help a buddy of mine dump his back when the altcoin things first took off and their prices on eBay didn't really seem inflated at all.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Ignoarints posted:

edit: does anybody know what method newegg uses to send game codes?
I got a game bundled with my CPU and the Steam code came on a postcard in the package along with everything else.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

eBay mining card trip report:
A buddy of mine just got one of those previously-used-for-cryptocoin-mining 280X video cards linked earlier in the thread. It works fine and isn't melted! However, it smelled of burning and literally had soot deposits on it. I guess some other nearby cards in the datacenter didn't survive the mining torture test.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

So, I just discovered that this thing exists.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9SLjiR7Q4s

:what:

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

EVGA's YouTube channel is ridiculous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKoOh9zru4c

That fez is pretty rad though.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Shaocaholica posted:

What about the HD 8000 series? They seem to be very scarce and newegg doesn't even stock them despite stocking 7XXX parts.

edit: Oh its mostly OEM. Why does AMD do this? Have a main level number change be mostly OEM? Also their previous naming is loving dyslexic. I hope their distributers and shippers got a lot of orders wrong.
There's no HD 8000 series because AMD changed the naming scheme to, like "R9 290".

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Zero VGS posted:

Of course for some dumb reason the screen still tears like crazy with a 60fps limit even if it never drops a frame (it has been this way for me with both Nvidia and AMD) so for now I'm using FPS Cap and VSync together.
Have you tried 59fps instead?

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

goodness posted:

Anyone know if an Nvidia GTX 560 can possibly run the new GTA when it comes out for PC?
You can't ask if a video card will run a game that isn't even close to being released yet.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

spasticColon posted:

Why page 256? Is that number significant is some way?
That's the width of the nVidia memory bus.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

I hope you've shared that BIOS file somewhere so that others can have a solution to their blackscreening issues too.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

I want to know what "Gaming 4G" means. Is this the fourth generation of something?

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Now I'm just speculating here... but might nVidia be engaging in anticompetetive practices here? Like, selling 970s at a loss in order to crush AMD?

They're just so cheap.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

I'm gonna get a 980 because even though I only have a 1080p monitor, I intend to do super-sampling and want minimum framerates to stay above 60.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

AirRaid posted:

I feel I should know this but functionally (and realistically) what's the difference between DVI-I and DVI-D?

DVI-D carries only a digital signal. DVI-I also carries an analog signal via those four pins on the far left, which allows for a simple passive adapter to convert from DVI to VGA if you want.