Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Factory Factory posted:

For gaming (Eyefinity and Surround), the monitors must have the same resolution.

I don't think this is true - but it will force them all to the lowest common resolution. The native res doesn't stop you trying. (Although that would be silly).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Alereon posted:

You'd have to be insane to buy a GTX 460 for $140. Head over to the parts picking megathread.

Since it recommends a 6850 in that price range, and if $140 is the budget..

Here is a 6850 with a hefty factory overclock that's $140 after a rebate. Too late, now it's $150
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161363

vvvv If the card has 1GB, I personally think you should not waste time on SLI for that resolution, use your money on a card with 2GB+

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 08:54 on May 14, 2012

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

balakadaka posted:

This is the future, and I'm glad I'm around to see it. The ability to buy gaming performance like I'd buy web hosting is amazing

What's old is new. Dumb terminals.

That said, this is a no-no for anything but very slow paced gaming. I also do NOT want to see compression artifacts all over my screen.. but my internet connection is too shite to consider this anyway.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Install Gentoo posted:

Half Life 2 impressed me less itself than Quake 2 did, which impressed me less than DOOM, etc. When you're already pretty close to reality to start with, getting even closer just doesn't involve as much apparent improvement.

I still think Doom looks pretty good. Maybe it sounds crazy, but it had just the right style and sprites, atmosphere, I suppose. Even though it was not true 3D, I think that helps - it was a great trick to get smooth looking graphics within the means of the hardware at the time.
Early PlayStation games (3D ones) look worse, with absolutely hosed perspective, grainy low-poly models, wonky, flickering textures and low frame rates. So while they were novel, they aged badly.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 11:48 on May 18, 2012

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

The difference here between AMD and NVIDIA is that AMD's 7970 was pushed down a notch by NVIDIA's new cards..

... Whereas NVIDIA cannibalised 680 sales with the 670. Still, it's good for those who waited a bit.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

What the gently caress is even the point of releasing this mess? To rip people off when they could be using Intel HD graphics for free?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

ToG posted:

I've just bought a replacement motherboard for my old desktop PC and need a new GPU. What would be a good match with an Intel Q6600, 4GB Ram (800mhz) machine. I had a 8800GT back in the day but I sold it. Is that a decent GPU for this level of stuff?

My budget is <£50 (70-80USD) and I've no quams buying used. Just looking an indication of where to look (i.e. ATI/NVideo and possibly a range to look at)

This is probably the most GPU you'll get for that money:
http://www.ebuyer.com/280038-powercolor-hd-6670-1gb-ddr3-dvi-vga-hdmi-pci-e-graphics-card-ax6670-1gbk3-h

Yes, there's an MSI for a couple of quid less, but this just pushes you over the £50 needed for free 5 day delivery.

Had a look on ebay for you, and I didn't see anything that stood out in that price range.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 23:04 on May 22, 2012

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

ToG posted:

I found this which gave the the sort of anchor I was looking for. That 6670 looks like the one to be, I might spend a few more quid on a better make though.

Cheers for the help.

edit: Looks like ebuyer want £10 for delivery. I'll look elsewhere.

it's free is you select 5 day delivery, as long as the order is over 50 quid. did say that..

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 08:04 on May 23, 2012

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

No, he's right, 7850 and 670 are the cards of the moment, they are the best value by far at their respective price points. You get a 670 if you have the money, the 7850 if you want to spend a reasonable amount on a card.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Thanks for that, because it does show you can max out 2GB VRAM even with a single monitor, which I've suspected. Just at 1920x1200 I've seen 1.8GB used on my 6950 when rolling Skyrim with a ton of mods, but admittedly that was an extreme peak.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

That's fine, but there's still no excuse for the unusable drivers

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Pan Ache posted:

There were some opinions discussed on factory OCs a few pages ago. I'm replacing a Radeon 4870 that is dying after about 4 years of use, and was wondering specifically how much more wear factory OC would put on a card like this for instance. My only real concern now is longevity and avoiding lovely drivers. The 4870 hadn't yet reached a point where I really wanted the upgrade.

Also is there any news on Nvidia's upcoming kepler releases ? I'd read some suggestion they would be releasing a competitor in the $200-300 bracket.

Save the $10 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102986
If you find yourself caring about that modest factory overclock later, you can just crank the sliders yourself. It's otherwise exactly the same. Good card choice though.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Agreed posted:

It's a binned chip, didn't make the 680 cut, but it has approximately a 10% difference in performance of a 680 at stock speeds.

Don't know where 10% is coming from, all the reviews I saw show the 670 beating the 680 by a very small amount (1-3% or so) on every test

vv Sorry, yeah, I was referring to the ASUS 670TOP that's being talked about

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Jun 2, 2012

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Agreed posted:

is made by CWT

You can usually tell by the fact Channel Well uses crinkly green tape around the transformers. Oh, and loose screws (that one comes from Jonny Guru).
I'm not a fan, but mainly because I had so many Antec PSUs that were Channel Well made, and they cost quite a bit. They all failed, because of the Fuhjyyu capacitors. I doubt they're using them now, but that left me with a bitter taste.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

The factory overclocked Sapphire 7850 has a 920MHz core clock, so I'd put money on that being safe, since you have the same card minus the OC.

vv Sorry, I don't have the exact info, I just thought I'd give you a figure you can probably expect to achieve

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Jun 6, 2012

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

mind the walrus posted:

I guess it's more that we wonder why you'd want to do such a thing. Even in games where having the screen across two monitors is the most minimally invasive, you still have two end bezels blocking out the critical center of your screen. This isn't an issue with 3 monitors because you can allow for "blind spots" and make up for it with increased "flank" vision, but with two I can't think of a game where it wouldn't be crippling.

I mean I guess you're right that the card makers should allow you to have that option if you really really want to, but you really don't see how stupid it is to want that in the first place? Seriously how do you even play that way?

Even in WoW you could get addons to move and constrain the viewport, so I imagine the same thing exists with other games.

Not saying it's a common need, but there's no logical reason to disallow it.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Baby Proof posted:

Any thoughts on 7770 Crossfire now that single cards are finally dipping down below the $100 mark? I probably won't bite because there's always at least one game that won't work right in Crossfire/SLI, but the benchmarks look good compared to $200 cards and the power use is surprisingly low...

Less than $100? Cheapest I can see on Newegg is $119.99 after rebate. For exactly double, you could take that money and get a 7850. Then you've got double the VRAM and no crossfire issues. I personally wouldn't invest in a new setup for gaming with 1GB VRAM, especially not for $240, even if the benchmarks are often ahead with 7700 CF.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Jun 12, 2012

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Do remember that in the low to mid-range, AMD's cards are very good propositions, and NVIDIA only has slow or outdated solutions until they release their 660 series and so on.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Here we go, we knew Tahiti and GCN in general has headroom, so AMD keeps ramping clocks.
AMD Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition

Quick summary for you: 1GHz 1050MHz base clock, (clocks down to 1GHz when the power usage is too high), which causes it to beat the GTX 680 in places it didn't before, across the board numbers are up (as you'd expect) and they've even boosted memory clocks.
Idle power consumption and noise are very low as you'd expect from AMD, but the boost in clocks has made noise under load terrible. But this is of little concern, really, because you'll see large fan coolers out from the usual suspects in no time, I'd wager. Avoid the reference cooler.

In AnandTech's testing here are the number of wins/card:
Gaming: 7970 - 18 / 680 - 16
Compute: 7970 - 5 / 680 - 2
Synthetics: 7970 - 4 / 680 - 1
Overall: 7970 - 27 / 680 - 19

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jun 22, 2012

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

real_scud posted:

Oh hey that's pretty badass, guess I should find some aftermarket cooling for my 7970 and start OC'ing that bad boy.

Also, corrected the figures. It actually runs at 1050MHz most of the time unless PowerTune kicks in, then it drops to 1GHz.

Another good review here.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Animal posted:

The 690 is a badass card and the first multi GPU card I would consider. That said, a 680 really should be enough unless you need to max out Metro 2033

poo poo, my 560 Ti 448 runs 1440p like a champ in all but Metro.

I doubt you've played Skyrim, because especially with the high res texture pack, that will chew through your 1GB VRAM and leave it begging for mercy

Edit: unless there's a 2GB version

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Animal posted:

More than 300 hours of Skyrim. Runs like a charm, mostly locked at 60fps with some dips to 45ish in certain spots. No stuttering at all.

Fair enough. I've seen 1.8GB peak use once, and I've seen threads online of people reporting 2.2GB(!)

But far from stock..

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Agreed posted:

Do those guys make a CPU cooler? :getin:

Just thinking of the most outrageously large coolers I know of; maybe you haven't seen the NoFan Icepipe (which was available at some point), or the Scythe Godhand (which wasn't ever available).

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

You should return it if it requires any underclock to be stable! This isn't a cheap, crappy piece of hardware, and it should work well..

Definitely sounds like there are some testing and validation issues with the overclocked 670s, which is a shame, because they fall in a sweet spot.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

taupoke posted:

Hi guys, I tried reading the OP and honestly am a little everwhelmed by all the information. I have a simple question: how much better is the GTX 560 compared to the GTX 460?

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/542?vs=543

But most people will talk about the 560 Ti, not the regular 560.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

That's bizarre, I run Saints Row 3 on an unlocked 6950 at 1920x1200 with the settings cranked way up, and it runs fine. I haven't bothered to check frame rates, but it's more than playable.

Having a quick search does yield results that people are having lower framerates on AMD cards. I don't know what the benchmarks are like or whether a specific driver had a fix for it.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Despite the magic NVIDIA worked with 5 series over the 4, Kepler was always destined to be a very hot beast. I'd say if as long as your case is well ventilated, and the card is not overclocked, you can probably trust in the default fan curve.

I can see why you'd be concerned with 90°c though, my unlocked 6950 will usually top out at about 80, however, I did make a custom fan curve in MSI Afterburner.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Agreed posted:

For Fermi,

Ah yes, Fermi, not Kepler. Silly me..

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Jul 20, 2012

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

BLOWTAKKKS posted:

I recently bought a GTX 690 and now have two 570s laying around doing nothing. I'd like to throw one into my computer as a physx card just for the hell of it but I'm not sure if my PSU will explode. I have a Corsair HX850 which according to reviews can actually provide up to 1000w. It was running the two 570s perfectly (which drain more power than a single 690) but I'm afraid this might be pushing it over the edge.

I hope you have good AC, because you're creating an oven.

I couldn't imagine why you'd need more graphics cards in your machine than a single 690.

I'd just ebay/sa-mart the 570s.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Corte posted:

Looking for input on which GPU to upgrade to, posted in the system-building thread but figured I'd see if anyone here would chime in, I've listed 5 GPUs that are significantly marked down currently: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3458091&pagenumber=289&perpage=40#post406232511

I'd personally say the 7850 is the best option given there's no real price difference. It's the newer, lower power and slightly faster card, and the 2GB VRAM isn't to be passed up.

Instead of screwing around with DisplayPort (it brings its own fun issues), I'd recommend just getting a dirt cheap HDMI to DVI cable, like so: http://www.amazon.ca/Gold-Plated-High-Speed-HDMI/dp/B000O5TFLQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1344123517&sr=8-1

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Aug 5, 2012

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Fatal posted:

Out of curiosity what fun issues are you referring too? So far I've yet to have any issues using display port in quite a few use cases: Laptop with dock single & multi monitor, laptop without dock single monitor, Desktop with multiple monitors and single monitors, all multi monitor setups with combinations of DVI/HDMI/DP. HP and Dell monitors, HP & Apple laptops, AMD and NVidia on the desktop graphics side.

The fact it disconnects the monitor when you turn the monitor off, in Windows. That's all.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Whale Cancer posted:

I'm looking to invest about $300 into a card for gaming. I'll be running an i5 3570 chip. I'm currently set on the 560 ti 448. Is there a better option at my price point? I don't plan on overclocking as I'm a bit nervous to do that.

This is the card I'm looking at.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130738

Definitely don't bother pairing a previous generation card with such a nice new CPU. AMD offers the best new cards in this price bracket at this exact point in time, but the 660Ti is out soon, and should be the card you're looking for.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Aug 13, 2012

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

CabaretVoltaire posted:

I've upgraded from a GTX 260 216 to a GTX 560ti 448 and am a little disappointed with the DX11 performance. Eg Arkham City looked and ran fine on the 260 with everything turned up @ 1080p the only thing I was really lacking was DX11 effects. If I turn them on with the 560 it runs like crap and doesn't really look any better. DX11 + Physx on medium = 20fps. Latest drivers, latest Arkham City patch. Is the 560 just not that great for DX11 or is Arkham City not a great example of it? If so what's better?

What CPU?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

The 7970 GHz Edition should be the 7980, and the vanilla 7970 should be phased out, and the 7950 Turbo Edition should be called the 7960, and the vanilla 7950 should be phased out.
It's almost like AMD is playing catch up with NVIDIA on the misleading or confusing model number stakes. They're doing a fine job of it, too, what with the 7750-900MHz edition, which should of course be the 7760 with the 7750 being phased out.
Why they don't just do that, I don't know.

vv Ah, OK, a relevant reason for it. I'm just trying to understand the reasoning behind the silly naming.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Aug 14, 2012

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Skilleddk posted:

I currently have a Radeon 5970 , but it's starting to show its age. It still kills most games maxed out but since it's a dual card I get micro-stuttering issues, and some games just don't play nice with this pseudo-crossfire.

My usual to-go computer hardware store has a EVGA GTX 680 on sale, which I've been eyeing for a while. But I wonder, would it make a significant change or would I just be getting rid of micro-stuttering?

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/587?vs=555

I'm surprised to see it still keeps up so well. Depending on your resolution though, the 1GB per GPU may become a hinderance.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

movax posted:

5-year supply guaranteed

AMD posted:

Part availability is 5 years from date of announcement subject to change without notice.

Oh, I do love terms and conditions..

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Factory Factory posted:

Welp, time to go sell my possessions on SA Mart so I can afford this game.

In other news, Tech Report has officially dubbed the 660 Ti part of its 2012 Back-to-School Sweet Spot system. I guess they like it.

A z77 board with a locked CPU?
OCZ SSD?
Sound card? I'd say you should always run with onboard unless you have awfully noisy onboard or a specific need for the card.

Maybe there's a little bias in there. Still, the 660Ti is a fine card of course.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Aug 17, 2012

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

EvilMuppet posted:

Reposting here since it's a more appropriate thread: How will a GIGABYTE AMD HD6970 PCI-E 2.0 2GB handle a 27" @ 2560x1440 IPS?

In terms of just supporting it, fine of course. If in terms of game frame rates, use AnandTech bench. They have tested most things there at 2560x1600 which is what you'll want to keep an eye on.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

The Lord Bude posted:

I have a phenom IIx6 1090T, so I should be fine as far as CPU bottlenecking goes.

No. Any AMD CPU bottlenecks the crap out of any available high end GPU. Many benchmarks are available. Doesn't matter how much you clock it, it's the sad truth. Especially a 690, drat..

With a 5970 right now, there's nowhere meaningful for you to go without replacing the CPU, in my opinion..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

The Lord Bude posted:

Your Pricing is reasonable if I was interested in buying midrange, value for money stuff the way everyone on SA is obsessed with.

What? Wanting to spend your money sensibly is an obsession? gently caress it, you're right, why bother giving good advice.

Go spec out an Alienware to the highest extent, with 32GB RAM and install XP 32 bit!