Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I was eyeing a 1080, saw one hit $420 (nice) but didn't pull the trigger because i figured Vega would launch and 1080s might get a price cut

well here we are months later, Vega still hasnt launched and the cheapest 1080 on Newegg is $520. i hate miners more than ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I don't think we really need to rely on rumors, the Vega Frontier Edition is 300W on air and 375W for the liquid. I imagine thats what the gaming cards will be at too (for the 16gig version anyway), since its the same silicon.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

There are PCI-Ex to MXM risers around. But if you really wanna get wild n' krazy kids with it, its all about this thing (that i dont know if ever really existed in retail form cause lol)

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Even if Vega really is between the 1080 and 1080ti in performance, and lets say it has the 1080's MSRP (which would severely nuke AMD's profits)... with Vega's TDP, i think I would still rather have a 1080. gently caress jet engine videocards.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Zero VGS posted:

We don't need benchmarks, it "feels" the same as a Titan Xp.

AMD has the most feels per inch.

terrible wccft commenters were saying that their systems ran games 'smoother' with Ryzen, despite their lower FPS average and minimum

my warmer, artesinal, smoother FPS.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

wargames posted:

I can't wait for navi, better yields and hopefully timely release date.

wait, vega hasnt even launched and were already waiting for navi?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

at this point, it seems like Vega was made by Bitboys Oy !!

***only 90s kids will get this one weird reference***

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

pros:
i like the look of the reference cooler, it looks less stupid lightup boy racery than most bidcards. not like it matters that much cause who still has windows on their cases lol

cons:
like, the rest of it. all of the rest of it.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

redeyes posted:

So is that thing actually Vega or more like the compute version of Vega?

It's Vega. It's being marketed as a "Semi Pro" version, but it can switch to the gaming drivers/settings and run pretty much identical to what we can expect the gaming version to run at. Same drivers, same silicon, same reference board, everything.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Craptacular! posted:

Yeah, I basically wonder if the high end of the market isn't overstated here.

The "low end" in graphics cards is basically dead, with IGP's killing everything sub-$150ish. The $150-200 market isn't really gangbusters either, the 1050Ti is the dominant card there and gets outsold like 2-1 by the biggest volume area, the $200-300 range of the 1060 and 480. This is the only range where AMD is competitive straight up, but they are still getting outsold like 4-1 by the 1060. And until RX Vega launches, AMD doesn't even compete at anything above that range. They have bled their marketshare over the last few years to less than a quarter of Nvidia's in the discrete market, and are losing more and more every month. They really need Vega to be competitive, and apparently hosed it up.

AMD's discrete CPU and GPU business has essentially swapped competitiveness. As someone who is shoppin' for an upgrade and was hoping for a competitive price war, this is Extremely Suck rear end.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

MaxxBot posted:

Does anyone know how the costs of HBM2 compare to GDDR5X? I'm curious as to what their margins would be like selling this at $400.

HBM is way, way more expensive/GB than GDDR5X, especially when you count in the interposer and packaging. I've seen estimates as high as $50 a card. Thats why Micron developed GDDR5X in the first place, as they gambled that HBM wouldnt be cheap enough, fast enough for prime time.

You have to wonder if AMD wasn't well aware that Vega was a flop the moment the 1080 launched and gave its production an extreme backseat to the Ryzen, since they share a process (Samsung' 14nm licensed by Glofo) and manufacturing facilities. Might explain the delay. Also might explain Volta's slip, cause Nvidia is looking at another year of pure profit.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

would it have killed them to make a gddr5 version lmao

i think Micron/Nvidia have an exclusive deal on GDDR5X. you can probably get GDDR5 up to like 300GB/s in bandwidth, but probably couldn't get near the 1080 Ti's 484GB/s without HBM.

but there is also the possibility that without HBM2, this thing is even more of a dog. considering its got a ~475mm die size, which makes its nearly the same size as a GP102 (titan x/xp, 1080ti) and 44% BIGGER than GP104 (1080/1070), they likely REALLY want to be able to charge a lot for it. its gotta be expensive, which means they gotta sink the cost and go HBM2 to get the bandwidth to perform.

the thing is nearly the size of 2.5 Ryzen dies, each. and they will have to sell it for less than the cost of a 1080 with HBM2 to move any. lordy.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

ah, so I see we are already into the "just wait, maybe we will get actual working drivers and performance will improve!" stage of bad AMD product adoption.

e: btw, i say that as someone who was an AMD loyalyst for a looong time. used an old Phenom II as my regular computer until like a year ago

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Another part of the run on 1080Ti's might be that there was a lot of people out there waiting for Vega to make a decision on a new high-end videocard. I can tell you that as soon as I saw the Vega results, I started looking at Ti's...

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I think its a die shrunk Fiji with some minor arch changes. Maybe we should have guessed that when it had the exact same shader arrangement.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Thing could pretty easily be made into a Vega Nano with all that extra PCB space... but you probably need to do a monoblock water cooler or something with all its heat issues.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I don't think AMD has hand-laid out circuitry in their parts for... almost a decade now? I remember them touting their areal savings in the early days of Bulldozer, and throwing around the buzzwords "high-density libraries" and "performance per square inch".

They still do hand work for their CPUs (them, Intel, and Apple are the only big players that still do from what I've read), but everyones GPUs tend to be mostly synthesized as far as I know.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

My guess is Apple isn't buying AMD, because they don't need to. They already have a full in-house design team for both CPUs and GPUs for their profit driving products, and they have such incredible buying power that they can force their fabs to take all the risk to make their products. For example, today's news that the A10X, a SoC pretty close to Ryzen in complexity and transistor count, is actually using TSMC's brand new 10nm process. Thats a huge risk, and I guarantee you that risk was on TSMC's side more than Apple's.

On the Mac side, its a tiny slice of their revenue pie and the market as a whole, but they make all of the premium profits there. So they can force their suppliers to bid to rock bottom prices and stretch themselves to the limit, because they sell all the premium products that the suppliers need to move for their own bottom lines. Their suppliers take all the risks and the margin hits, and Apple takes all the profit.

Buying AMD would give them access to some engineering talent and a patent library, but they can poach every engineer in silicon valley they want anyway. I don't think they need it.

E:

Yeah, my understanding (and i could be totally wrong, this aint my field. just a nerdy thing i read about) is that the design libraries concept reshuffled the die design and redid some units, but some of those original blocks being moved around were still done with top plot initially. Heres a Bristol Ridge die shot I pulled up. You can clearly see the synthesized/auto placed stuff in the GPU on the right (the blobby looking telltales), and inside the compute cores, but there are also some more hand designed looking sections in there.

Again, I could be totally wrong. I know the Cat-cores were nearly all synthesized, for example.

Cygni fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jun 30, 2017

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Seamonster posted:

More importantly, which game actually uses more than 8gb VRAM @ 4k?

BF4 uses 8gigs at 4k. But honestly if you are gaming at 4k, you shouldn't be even considering RX Vega in the first place.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Dell was briefly selling the PNY 3-fan 1080 Ti for $634 today, which I believe would be a new low for a 1080 Ti, but its back up to $699 on their page now.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

AT has some info on the mining graphics card craze, and why the board partners are doing it

http://www.anandtech.com/show/11607/cryptocurrency-mining-cards-update-zotac-manli-biostar-products-formally-confirmed

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

repiv posted:

They were expecting a 225W TDP at ~1.5ghz, and welp at how that turned out.

I wonder if this points to design issues in Vega itself, or weakness in the Samsung 14nm LPP process they are using. The Samsung 14 LPP node is the same one getting used for Ryzen, which seems pretty power efficient. I think its also used for Polaris 20 / RX 580, so they have experience with it and knew its power characteristics. Seems strange that they would be caught so off guard once Vega started getting cut, unless the issue is with the design itself.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

i cant believe i didnt buy a lottery ticket and choose literally every correct winning number

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

why are you gaming on a linux

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Maybe SteamOS will finally be the revolution and 2018 will be the year of linux on the d-*laugh track starts early*

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

VostokProgram posted:

I'm kind of worried that this won't actually happen. Now that nicehash lets people mine whatever is most profitable at any point in time, and there are lots of cryptocurrencies to choose from, what if we have a situation where it's always profitable to be mining something on a GPU, and so the demand from miners never goes down? An eternal GPU famine...

LTT and GamersNexus have touched on it, but it seems the shortage is due to AIB manufacturers are not ramping up orders, because they assume the crash is coming. They don't want to be stuck holding massive stock of cards that are impossible to move, especially with Vega and Volta coming. They learned from last time.

If mining keeps going forever (it wont), AIB partners will ramp up orders and fill the demand, likely with mining focused products. But they are hesitant to do that yet.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

PerrineClostermann posted:

This thread deserves a better class of shitposting

kyro2 was the best videocard ever made

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Paul MaudDib posted:

The evidence is strongly pointing to the Drawstream Binning Rasterizer not working at the moment however (whether that's driver or silicon faults).

remember when the S3 Savage 2000 shipped with a Texture and Lighting engine that they were constantly hyping, but they never got it working before they just abandoned it and sold the whole division to VIA. poor poor Vega.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

RX Vega lineup

Looking like there won't be top-end Vega cards from the AIB partners?

https://videocardz.com/70890/amd-radeon-rx-vega-xtx-vega-xt-and-vega-xl

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I'm not sure where you are getting that from? It says that the cut down version will be AIB only, not that the high end version is AMD only.

maybe im reading too far into it, but saying "and this segment is AIB only!" implies to me that they plan on releasing first party cards in the other segments. seems strange to be competing against your own AIB partners for sales, unless its something like the Founders Editions where they are gonna mandate stuff at first and then let the AIBs do their own thing after that?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

oh ok, that makes sense. ill be honest, i didnt really pay attention to the RX480 after the launch reviews.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Fauxtool posted:

by cutting their gpu dept loose and profiting on their excellent cpu dept

i mean, the gpu department has released a whole lot more competitive products than the cpu division has the last 6 years. and keller already bailed from the cpu division so.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

i kinda knew it was a joke but i see so many people posting that stuff seriously on other bad sites that i wanted to write it anyway

love that spicy news, but lord places like wccftech are killing me

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I wouldn't buy any card at the moment unless you really gotta. They are all $100+ higher than they should be still. The dumb mining bubble is well on its way to popping though.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

babe, sure i was just eating a ravioli that i had dropped in my chest hair, i wont deny that. but i dont suck... im just SANDBAGGIN'

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Well, i guess it depends on how wide a look you take at things. I would say Nvidia's gaming sales are doing juuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuust fine, and if RX Vega is what we think it is...

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Just finished swapping the TIM in my Asus 1060 Dual from the stock blob to some Arctic Silver 5 i had around.

At 50% fanspeed and 24-25c ambient, only 1 80mm case fan. Base clocks had the core consistently at 1900mhz and the ram at 8Ghz. OC was 2000mhz and 9ghz. Stress test was Fire Strike on loop for ~30min.

Lil' drop, although the 1060 is already pretty cool and the Dual's fan is way overbuilt for the TDP. AS5 is dirt cheap and it didnt take long to do, so good stuff.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

AS3 was conductive, but AS5 is not. AS5 is very slightly capacitive (like most thermal pastes), but ive never had it interfere with anything in practice.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Tupac: Get me outta dis wack rear end holocube.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

If they hit the $499 MSRP, its not too much of a disaster. Cheapest 1080 on PCPartPicker is $515, cheapest 1070 is $440. They will still only sell a fraction of what the 1070 or 1080 moves though, if the RX 480 vs 1060 ratio is anything to go by. And their margins can't be very nice at this price range.