Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

KillHour posted:

Can you even GET the ASUS ones anywhere? I've yet to see them for sale.

In the UK, Scan and Novatech both have them listed though they're not yet in stock. The former lists it as "overdue since the 11th May", so guessing something's gone wrong in the distribution chain.

e: Overclockers.co.uk has them in stock it seems.

coffeetable fucked around with this message at 21:12 on May 16, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

ijyt posted:

Overclockers UK on the other hand, are a steaming pile of poo poo.

I don't understand how they're still in business. Doing research for my upcoming build, there's not a single component they beat out dabs/aria/scan/novatech/ebuyer/amazon on, and they're usually £10-£20 behind :psyduck:

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

EvilCoolAidMan posted:

Quick question. Can I run BF3 at ultra on a 27" monitor with a GTX670, or do I need to step up to a GTX680?

Hardly any difference between them, especially with the better 670 cards.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

This seems as good a place as any to ask: I find the design and manufacture of modern microprocessors fascinating. What books should I look for if I want to learn more? For reference, I've a background in mathematics and computer science, so technical content isn't going to put me off.

coffeetable fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Nov 14, 2012

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

spasticColon posted:

My 660Ti gets up to 76-78C under load and the boost clock is still running at 1051MHz when it should only running at 980MHz. And this is the card's factory settings I didn't tweak them in any way. Should I be worried?

Nope. The max temp given in the 660Ti's specs is 97C.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

Did you take a photo of your screen because they don't show up in screenshots?

And while I have no technical experience whatsoever, those remind me of the interference patterns you get between certain continuous functions and a pixel grid. Those are a special type of Moiré pattern, which are a result of undersampling and can (according to the wiki article) be fixed by turning anisotropic filtering up.

coffeetable fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Jan 16, 2013

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

KillHour posted:

Damnit, Epic, why don't you ever release your tech demos to the public?

Because once they've released the perfectly-tuned recording of the tech demo, releasing the demo itself can only make their tech look worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

spasticColon posted:

With newer games eating more VRAM will the memory bus on my 660Ti start to become a problem in the near future? Right now it seems my 660Ti is borderline overkill at 1080p but with the new consoles coming with GPUs having access to 8GB of GDDR5 RAM I fear that video cards with 2GB of VRAM or less will become obsolete very quick.

Well video cards have almost always quickly become obsolete, and it's only the ridiculously long life cycle of the PS3 & 360 that's given PC gamers a break the past few years. Unified memory or not, system reqs are likely to make some significant leaps over the next year or two.

On the other hand, economies of scale mean GDDR5 RAM is going to be dirt cheap soon enough, so my guess is that the next gen or so of premium GPUs will be handing out the memory like it's candy.