Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Gunjin posted:

The only cards that do GPU acceleration with OpenCL instead of CUDA in CS6 are the HD 6750M and HD 6770M (1gb vRAM versions), and then only on OSX 10.7.x. Everyone else needs to use a CUDA card still.

Note that there is a way to "hack" an unsupported card into Adobe CS, so if you have a Mac Pro with a 5770 or 5870 on OSX 10.7.x you could theoretically add support for one of those cards, but I'd be wary of doing that in a production environment where stability is a primary concern.

This is pretty much the only reason why I have a 570. It's not the best value card for gaming (though it still holds up quite well for 1080/1200p), but it's one of the best values for officially-supported CUDA in Adobe CS, especially with the 600 series CUDA being where it is right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Factory Factory posted:

Is it simply a remaining enormous gulf between real-time generated imagery and photoreality?

This is a large part of it, mostly because videogames still don't have realistic motion blur, which is a huge part of why 24 FPS works as well as it does in film but looks like a jerky mess in games.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Jan posted:

I only mentioned tessellation in Crysis 2 because it was a belated addition to the game and TechReport had a rather scathing analysis of their use of tessellation.

I never, ever get tired of this article. :)

It gave me the impression that Crytek are good at cramming in new technology but have absolutely no idea how to actually optimize any of it, but I guess that's only the case for tessellation? Either way, it made me disregard any Crysis 2 benchmarks and be very suspicious of Crysis 3 ones.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Agreed posted:

My wife would kill me with a 780Ti. After this, I'm pretty much bound to wait for Maxwell's 20nm shrink to get another card. But a 30%-ish increase over my 780 is amazing and coupled with a G-Sync monitor I really don't think I'm going to be moaning too much about how slow my graphics are for at LEAST a year, haha.

I'm sure it's not the first time you've said this, and I'm equally sure it won't be the last. :)