Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

Epi Lepi posted:

What was different in the international version of VII?

Possibly related, I remember reading ages ago that there was a book or something about the final fantasy series that talked about how the world of VII and the world of X are related somehow, like one is the past of the other. Anyone know anything about that, or am I making poo poo up?

In X-2 there's a character named Shinra who talks about travelling to another planet and harnessing its energy or somesuch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Blue Cow
Oct 23, 2008

I have moooore respect for
Mr. Carpainter then others. Even if I become someone's steak dinner, I'll still respect him.

So this week the supposed :airquote: final :airquote: FF13-2 DLC "Lightning's Story: Requiem for the Goddess" comes out.

If anyone could spoil (and don't forget to spoiler tag it) the summary of the whole DLC, it would be much appreciated.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Epi Lepi posted:

What was different in the international version of VII?

Possibly related, I remember reading ages ago that there was a book or something about the final fantasy series that talked about how the world of VII and the world of X are related somehow, like one is the past of the other. Anyone know anything about that, or am I making poo poo up?

There were a few changes. They were all from the US release. (Thus the "International" branding.) The most noteworthy were Emerald and Ruby weapon, and the flashback with Zack in the truck/his death. The latter being basically the entire basis for Crisis Core.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007
Oh yeah, Crisis Core! That was a pretty not terrible game. Except for Gackt.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Happy Blue Cow posted:

So this week the supposed :airquote: final :airquote: FF13-2 DLC "Lightning's Story: Requiem for the Goddess" comes out.

If anyone could spoil (and don't forget to spoiler tag it) the summary of the whole DLC, it would be much appreciated.

Nothing of importance or even interest happens. However, you do get a new SUPER BONUS CLASSIC FINAL FANTASY MONSTER in your party! Everyone is still dead. Remember to buy Final Fantasy 13-3!!!!!

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

The White Dragon posted:

Nothing of importance or even interest happens. However, you do get a new SUPER BONUS CLASSIC FINAL FANTASY MONSTER in your party! Everyone is still dead. Remember to buy Final Fantasy 13-3!!!!!

If the game really does end with Serah dead, Noel stranded, Lightning as the new Goddess of Death I'll be very impressed.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
I take back my original view of FFXIII-2's ending.

I'm glad everyone is still loving dead and/or doomed, or soon to die.

Against my better judgment, I've decided to start watching the Legend of the Crystal's anime thing to see if it's as bad as people say. All I'm getting so far is a pretty sweet FFV main theme remix, Amano-brand featherless Chocobos, and animation and voice acting that's so 90s it's painful. Enjoyable pulpy camp thus far though.

[e]: Though some of it...what the gently caress Japan!? Pantyshots? Making someone's rear end glow? :mad:

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 19:59 on May 15, 2012

heartcatcher
Oct 6, 2007

:patriot: woof :patriot:

Bongo Bill posted:

The EU release, as well as some later printings of the NA release, have fixed the ATB glitches, which were at any rate mostly in the player's favor.

Oops, I forgot about that. My only experience is with the early print US versions.

Surlaw posted:

Most importantly, it contains a fast forward button, making battles with random trash enemies way less obnoxious. The PSP version's great.

Oh man, how did I forget about this? The PSP version is great EVERYONE GET THAT ONE.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

The White Dragon posted:

I'm down. 13-2 was fantastic and I will gladly get a 13-3.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

Pesky Splinter posted:

I take back my original view of FFXIII-2's ending.

I'm glad everyone is still loving dead and/or doomed, or soon to die.

Against my better judgment, I've decided to start watching the Legend of the Crystal's anime thing to see if it's as bad as people say. All I'm getting so far is a pretty sweet FFV main theme remix, Amano-brand featherless Chocobos, and animation and voice acting that's so 90s it's painful. Enjoyable pulpy camp thus far though.

[e]: Though some of it...what the gently caress Japan!? Pantyshots? Making someone's rear end glow? :mad:

Hahaha, I watched that at a friend's house when the only FF game I had played was Mystic Quest. I had no idea what the hell was going on and for a while I figured I had just imagined that it had something to do with Final Fantasy. Even at 10 the glowing-butt stuff was like :what:

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Oh man you guys should watch Final Fantasy Unlimited but don't actually watch it though because it is repetitive, tedious and hella dumb.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Azure_Horizon posted:

I'm down. 13-2 was fantastic and I will gladly get a 13-3.

"FFXIII-3: The quest for more money", or "FFXIII-3: Milking the cash cow so hard, it makes powdered milk" or "FFXIII-3: MTCCSHIMPM" if that won't fit on a box.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Pesky Splinter posted:

"FFXIII-3: The quest for more money", or "FFXIII-3: Milking the cash cow so hard, it makes powdered milk" or "FFXIII-3: MTCCSHIMPM" if that won't fit on a box.

Or FF13-3: This game will be even more fun than the already fun 13-2.

:/

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

The White Dragon posted:

FFXIII-2 can only be said to be better than FFXIII because the latter was so atrocious. Both are just so awful. I don't know who I'm mad at more, Nomura for driving my favorite series into the ground in his quest to take the RPG out of Final Fantasy (!!) or myself for buying the second game, knowing what I did about the first.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007
Hopefully FF13-3 takes out those pesky encounters. I mean, the game already plays itself, but it still makes me push A every 30 seconds? I just want to watch anime characters do anime things all anime day!

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

^^ What game were you not playing?

Pesky Splinter posted:

The alternative is them taking about 10 years to develop the engine for the next game.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

OatmealRaisin posted:

Hopefully FF13-3 takes out those pesky encounters. I mean, the game already plays itself, but it still makes me push A every 30 seconds? I just want to watch anime characters do anime things all anime day!

The game plays itself? So Noel and Serah just do things without you pressing any buttons? drat, when did we get an FF12-2?

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Azure_Horizon posted:

The game plays itself? So Noel and Serah just do things without you pressing any buttons? drat, when did we get an FF12-2?

Yeah, I actually really dislike it when people level that complaint at 13/13-2, because there are already plenty of things to dislike about the game. "The game plays itself, derp" is not really one of them.

PhilippAchtel fucked around with this message at 21:25 on May 15, 2012

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I hope there isn't a FFXIII-3. Not just because I'm bored of the universe and I don't particularly want a continuation but also because I think it'd be pretty ballsy on SE's part to leave the ending as is.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

OatmealRaisin posted:

It's not so much it plays itself, it's that it wants to be a terrible 60 hour movie so badly, while at the same time having interactive elements. The actual fighting mechanics aren't so bad, it's just the horrendous story elements they force down the players throat, and the massive amounts of padding.

As Azure Horizon said, it's not FFXII, where you can practically set it up to play itself. FFXIII doesn't want to be played, it wants you to watch it and be enveloped in its story. Whether you as the player like it or not.

Amppelix posted:

The alternative is them taking about 10 years to develop the engine for the next game.

I'd take a 10 year wait over another FFXIII game (of the main ones I mean, not the ones with the same mythology but otherwise unrelated games) rather than have to suffer through more characters that, while not bad, I just plain couldn't give a toss about.

[e]: This Legend of Crystal thing needs more Exdeath...sorry, :airquote:Exodes:airquote:, and more Gilgamesh. :saddowns:

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 21:55 on May 15, 2012

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

Pesky Splinter posted:

FFXIII doesn't want to be played, it wants you to watch it and be enveloped in its story. Whether you as the player like it or not.

That's pretty much what I was getting at. I feel like FF13 didn't really want to be a game rather than a big budget CGI movie, and they really bring it home by making the first option in the menu "Auto-Battle." Then again, Earthbound had auto-fight.

Look, I already said I have all kinds of bad opinions about Final Fantasy :v:

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Pesky Splinter posted:

As Azure Horizon said, it's not FFXII, where you can practically set it up to play itself.

To be fair, "you can set it up to play itself" isn't quite the same as "it plays itself" in any case. The gameplay of FFXII is setting up gambits to match the situations you are facing.

My only complaint as far as that goes is that FFXII doesn't give you enough gambits to play the game properly until well into the game.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

PhilippAchtel posted:

The gameplay of FFXII is setting up gambits to match the situations you are facing.

That's a fair point to make.

Mrs. Badcrumble
Sep 21, 2002

Azure_Horizon posted:

I wish we had instead of the FF13 games, tbqh.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

SE finished in the black for the last fiscal year thanks to Deus Ex and FFX13-2, so get ready for FF13-3. FF15 probably won't come out until the next console generation and is probably starting development now or already has been in development.

FF13-3 will probably be the swan song to the current generation of consoles.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Harlock posted:

FF15 probably won't come out until the next console generation and is probably starting development now or already has been in development.

They'll officially announce it at this year's E3 with a 1 minute trailer with some Shakespeare quote at the beginning, and no actual gameplay, and then they'll say nothing more about it till 2020 when the PS4 is midway through its lifecycle, where they'll put up a 2 minute trailer, (a minute of which is content from the first one), and this one will show what looks like gameplay, but actually isn't because they haven't planned it yet.

Am I predicting this trend correctly? :v:

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

Harlock posted:

SE finished in the black for the last fiscal year thanks to Deus Ex and FFX13-2, so get ready for FF13-3.

Can we get DXHR2 while we're at it?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

PhilippAchtel posted:

FFXIII-2 can only be said to be better than FFXIII because the latter was so atrocious. Both are just so awful. I don't know who I'm mad at more, Nomura for driving my favorite series into the ground in his quest to take the RPG out of Final Fantasy (!!) or myself for buying the second game, knowing what I did about the first.

Uh. Nomura? Why are you blaming Nomura for FFXIII? He did some character designs for it and literally nothing else. Why is he getting the blame for it?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
Nomura just did the character designs for XIII, didn't he? I don't think he actually had any input on the gameplay. Like, at all.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

ImpAtom posted:

Uh. Nomura? Why are you blaming Nomura for FFXIII?

Yeah, Nomura was only responsible for the face design of the main characters IIRC. He barely has anything to do with XIII. These days he's too busy trying to come up with ways to make a mindfuck out of Kingdom Hearts.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pesky Splinter posted:

Yeah, Nomura was only responsible for the face design of the main characters IIRC. He barely has anything to do with XIII. These days he's too busy trying to come up with ways to make a mindfuck out of Kingdom Hearts.

Well... like, even beyond that, Nomura has literally never directed a Final Fantasy game. Versus XIII would his first if it ever came out. All his direction work has been on Kingdom Hearts. He's done character designs, and I think he worked partially on the story of FFVII. I honestly have no idea where anyone could imagine that Tetsuya Nomura is the dude trying to ruin Final Fantasy. He barely interacts with it.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Well... like, even beyond that, Nomura has literally never directed a Final Fantasy game. Versus XIII would his first if it ever came out. All his direction work has been on Kingdom Hearts. He's done character designs, and I think he worked partially on the story of FFVII. I honestly have no idea where anyone could imagine that Tetsuya Nomura is the dude trying to ruin Final Fantasy. He barely interacts with it.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't he responsible for the FF7 Compilation material?

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Calaveron posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't he responsible for the FF7 Compilation material?

Only as director for Advent Children, and Last Order (and the latter was only as a superviser).

Like ImpAtom said, he mostly sticks to being a designer, the exception being Kingdom Hearts which he also directs...mostly.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Pesky Splinter posted:

Only as director for Advent Children, and Last Order (and the latter was only as a superviser).

Who was responsible for the catastrophe that was Dirge of Cerberus?

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Calaveron posted:

Oh man you guys should watch Final Fantasy Unlimited but don't actually watch it though because it is repetitive, tedious and hella dumb.

Final Fantasy Unlimited was one of the only two anime series ever to give me an actual headache from its sheer mind-numbing idiocy and incoherency.

The other was Knights of Ramune.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Calaveron posted:

Everyone who said that it was a good idea.

Well, these people:

Director: Takayoshi Nakazato
Producer: Yoshinori Kitase
Writer: Hiroki Chiba

But the true one to blame is Square Enix.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 22:22 on May 15, 2012

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Calaveron posted:

No. He was a director on Advent Children but that's about it. Otherwise he's only been a character designer or producer. (And I think he was only a producer on Crisis Core.)

Calaveron posted:

I guess you'd blame Takayoshi Nakazato, but he's pretty much a nobody. DoC was the definition of shovelware.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

ImpAtom posted:

DoC was the definition of shovelware.

The only redeeming things about that game for me, are the music, the Dark Id's LP of it, and the hammy-as-gently caress voice acting.

[e]: Wow, Bartz has been pumping those irons since he defeated Exdeath, looks more like Guts:

[e2]: Oh you're just upset that you haven't got the technick down. :smug:
VVV

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 22:35 on May 15, 2012

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Mrs. Badcrumble posted:

I wish we had instead of the FF13 games, tbqh.

I don't. I don't need more games that are sleep aids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

If you haven't played FF13-2 yet and want to get in on the fun. Gamefly has it for $14.99, an absolute rock bottom price. Free shipping too!

PS3/360