Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Oh wow, subliminal messages in Legend of the Crystals:

There's these robots that speak backwards, with subtitles for what they're saying. Only, one isn't.

"You will buy more new copies of these tapes for all your friends."

Haha! What the gently caress?

[e2]: And another one? Haha!

"By the way, there's more: if you buy in volume, there is a substantial discount for all who purchase tapes".

Almost makes up for all the needless pantyshots.

[e3]: Looks like I spoke to soon. gently caress you Legend of the Crystals! rear end-laser? Seriously!? Why?

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 23:32 on May 15, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Happy Blue Cow posted:

So this week the supposed :airquote: final :airquote: FF13-2 DLC...

Excellent. Now, to wait for the Complete/GOTY/Special Edition with all the DLC included to finally buy the game...

neetz
Mar 28, 2010
So I just got the latest XIII-2 DLC, Requiem for a Goddess or whatever, and, um, is this really it?

Just fighting a mega Caius until I die often enough to kill him? I'm at level four now, I think, and I can do nothing to him. Am I missing a trick or is this it? My word, it's pretty awful so far

Edit: Oh, you start from the very beginning if you die too, great.

I thought the Snow DLC was cool though!

neetz fucked around with this message at 23:45 on May 15, 2012

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
They really liked their subliminal messages didn't they?

"Bio Hunter is another great tape. Also Dragon Slayer. Real good!"

[e2]:

Another says

"I'll order right away, Robot friend!"
"That's Urban Vison, for the finest in anime.

[e3]: Just watched the whole thing. Well, that was weird. Good movie to riff on, but not much else.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 00:05 on May 16, 2012

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

That was a BAD business decision!
On the "cheap FFXIII-2 front", Amazon.co.uk has it for £12 with free shipping, which is the price I got it for. It seems pretty worth it so far! Just beat up Atlas, and the game seems pretty easy now that I've got COM/COM/COM and RAV/RAV/RAV paradigms set up. Are they the way to go?

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

COM/COM/COM and RAV/RAV/RAV will get you through the game pretty easily, yeah.

Stacking role bonuses is the way to go, when you can.

Ither
Jan 30, 2010
Unless I'm doing it wrong, Requiem for a Goddess is the seriously the worst DLC I've ever purchased.

You either have to turtle the battle for hours or die enough times to get strong enough to win. Who the gently caress came up with this?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Ither posted:

Unless I'm doing it wrong, Requiem for a Goddess is the seriously the worst DLC I've ever purchased.

You either have to turtle the battle for hours or die enough times to get strong enough to win. Who the gently caress came up with this?

A company that believes it is still hot poo poo despite rapidly losing all the goodwill they had amassed from their previous work.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Pesky Splinter posted:

Almost makes up for all the needless pantyshots.

[e3]: Looks like I spoke to soon. gently caress you Legend of the Crystals! rear end-laser? Seriously!? Why?
The crystals lodging themselves in that girl's rear end is about the only thing I can remember about that cartoon.

neetz
Mar 28, 2010

Ither posted:

I finally finished it just now and yeah, this is exactly what it is. It's fifteen minutes of content with 30 minutes to an hour or so of grind attached.

I'd second it being the worst DLC I've bought and, let me tell you, I've bought some total poo poo. I'm a grovelling apologist for the game too and loved all the DLC Colosseum battles but this.....drat.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Ither posted:

I dunno, I beat it on my second try. Took about twenty minutes.
I guess I'll spoiler this, in case anyone wants to figure out a strategy on their own.
Abuse Immortality; you shouldn't need more than a single segment's worth if you time it right. In Commando, he's nice enough to warn you before he attacks, and you have just enough time to switch and get a segment charged. You should have enough time to fill an ATB bar between attacks, so you can build the stagger bar then.
I haven't figured out a good method for safely hitting him in Ravager; I tend to get a single attack off between his before jumping back to Knight to reduce the damage. Doing this, you won't take too much damage.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Uh. Nomura? Why are you blaming Nomura for FFXIII? He did some character designs for it and literally nothing else. Why is he getting the blame for it?

I must be mixing up Nomura with Toriyama.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Are we allowed to talk about how awesome FF:Legends were? Because its technically not a Final Fantasy game.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Are we allowed to talk about how awesome FF:Legends were? Because its technically not a Final Fantasy game.

There was Final Fantasy Legend (note singular term) and its two sequels for the original Game Boy, which were SaGa games released abroad under the Final Fantasy brand.

There's also "Final Fantasy Legends: Warriors of Light and Darkness," a more recent episodic cell phone game only released in Japan, developed by the same team as made FF4 The After Years, which is said to be a sort of spiritual successor to FF5 which has you switching between two different parties. I hope the forthcoming iOS version sees an English release.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Great, I'm at the final dungeon of the original NES game and only now does my Master class character show his glass axe syndrome :argh:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Mak0rz posted:

Great, I'm at the final dungeon of the original NES game and only now does my Master class character show his glass axe syndrome :argh:

My favorite part about the Master is that you can't give him any status defenses because equipping Protect Rings and Ribbons lowers his defense and attack strength like crazy.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

The White Dragon posted:

My favorite part about the Master is that you can't give him any status defenses because equipping Protect Rings and Ribbons lowers his defense and attack strength like crazy.

Yup! Despite the fact that Ribbons have a weight value of negative one.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

PhilippAchtel posted:

I don't know who I'm mad at more, Nomura for driving my favorite series into the ground in his quest to take the RPG out of Final Fantasy

You do know that Nomura had nothing to do with the gameplay or story of FF13. He just did the character designs.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Well his character design sucks :colbert:

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

pw pw pw posted:

Well his character design sucks :colbert:

His designs aren't too bad when he manages to restrain himself. Or when someone else restrains him. With a straight jacket comprised only of zippers, buckles and belts. And uneven length sleeves.

His monster designs are pretty cool though.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Pesky Splinter posted:

His designs aren't too bad when he manages to restrain himself. Or when someone else restrains him. With a straight jacket comprised only of zippers, buckles and belts. And uneven length sleeves.

His monster designs are pretty cool though.

He designed all the characters in Dirge of Cerberus, right?
There is no one on Earth who can defend this man after seeing the character designs for Dirge of Cerberus.

EDIT VVVV He designed the FF8 guys, right? They were pretty grounded and fairly sober.

Calaveron fucked around with this message at 23:29 on May 16, 2012

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Pesky Splinter posted:

His designs aren't too bad when he manages to restrain himself.

Can you show me a game with characters he designed that do not suck donkey chunks? I'm genuinely interested curious.

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 23:26 on May 16, 2012

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Calaveron posted:

He designed all the characters in Dirge of Cerberus, right?
There is no one on Earth who can defend this man after seeing the character designs for Dirge of Cerberus.

DOC's character designs are abominable, no argument there.

Where do you even begin? :psyduck:

pw pw pw posted:

Can you show me a game with characters he designed that do not suck donkey chunks? I'm genuinely interested curious.

FFVII's character designs are actually quite understated, and don't look too retarded. His stuff for VIII isn't too bad either, for the most part, but it has has Ultimecia, so it balances out the good. The first two Parasite Eve games have pretty okay costume design.

I personally think the worst stuff he did was for the Bouncer, and FFX.
I mean this just speaks for itself:

But I think this is worse:

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

It makes my blood boil just looking at that hair.

Honestly I talk a lot of poo poo about the series in here, but Tetsuya Nomura is probably the primary thing ruining final fantasy for me. Get rid of him and I might be able to tolerate the design again.

edit: upon closer examination, virtually everything about tidus's outfit also makes me want to vomit. Nice 3-part zip off overalls, rear end in a top hat, how'd you manage to work basket weaving in there?

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

pw pw pw posted:

The World Ends with You isn't too bad

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I hadn't actually played twewy (mostly because of him, actually, I hear it's great) and those look... downright tolerable.

I feel like any one big stupid accessory can be made to work, but he just lumps them all together in a way that makes no goddamn sense. Like, all that poo poo tidus is wearing. FFX was the first FF game I skipped completely, just based on the character designs.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

pw pw pw posted:

I hadn't actually played twewy (mostly because of him, actually, I hear it's great) and those look... downright tolerable.

I feel like any one big stupid accessory can be made to work, but he just lumps them all together in a way that makes no goddamn sense. Like, all that poo poo tidus is wearing. FFX was the first FF game I skipped completely, just based on the character designs.

The combat is pretty great in FFX, and the story (overall) isn't too bad either. It's worth a look or a play, or if you don't want to go through all the hassle, just look up the LP Archive playthrough of it, or the Dark Id's current one.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Pesky Splinter posted:

DOC's character designs are abominable, no argument there.

I've seen someone argue that this is perfectly acceptable for a scientist to wear in real life. (They also argued that Gunner Yuna and Thief Rikku wouldn't look out of place at a beach during spring break, because, I guess where ever he lived the girls wore denim sarongs and puffy sleeves to the beach.)

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

pw pw pw posted:

FFXIII, for all the flack it gets, has significantly better Nomura designs than like any other game he's done. It's like he tried not being himself when making them.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

pw pw pw posted:

FF Versus XIII. You know, that game that is coming out someday. Maybe.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

TurnipFritter posted:

I've seen someone argue that this is perfectly acceptable for a scientist to wear in real life. (They also argued that Gunner Yuna and Thief Rikku wouldn't look out of place at a beach during spring break, because, I guess where ever he lived the girls wore denim sarongs and puffy sleeves to the beach.)

The thing that bothers me the most about Gunner Yuna is that loving hood. What the gently caress is that even for

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Pesky Splinter posted:

I'd consider this acceptable if he removed the gauntlet and shoulder pad, then re-attached the other piece of his trouser leg. At least, that would put him on par with other JRPG protagonists.

Aesthetics aside, the biggest problem with this outfit is that he is an underwater athlete. Nothing he is wearing is appropriate for Blitzball, especially the hoodie, which would cause an enormous amount of drag. Getting water caught in those overalls isn't going to help either.

The best thing I can say about this picture is that it's drawn well. It's still a poorly-designed garish mismatch of primary colours, but it's still much better than his CG renders.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

That loving Sned posted:

I'd consider this acceptable if he removed the gauntlet and shoulder pad, then re-attached the other piece of his trouser leg. At least, that would put him on par with other JRPG protagonists.

The best thing I can say about this picture is that it's drawn well. It's still a poorly-designed garish mismatch of primary colours, but it's still much better than his CG renders.

The fact that everyone kept changing race during the CGI cutscenes always amused me for some reason. It's just a really jarring change.

I tend to think of Shuyin's design as an apology for Tidus'

It's the same basic design, but without looking quite as ridiculous.
Why wasn't it in Dissidia :qq:

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 01:02 on May 17, 2012

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Momomo posted:

FFXIII, for all the flack it gets, has significantly better Nomura designs than like any other game he's done. It's like he tried not being himself when making them.

Agreed. Like I've said quite a few times, Fang is one of my favorite FF designs ever.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Pesky Splinter posted:

The fact that everyone kept changing race during the CGI cutscenes always amused me for some reason. It's just a really jarring change.

I tend to think of Shuyin's design as an apology for Tidus'

It's the same basic design, but without looking quite as ridiculous.
Why wasn't it in Dissidia :qq:

It's cool how his shorts are held together by a harness.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

TurnipFritter posted:

It's cool how his shorts are held together by a harness.

I did say it wasn't quite as ridiculous.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Gaseous Snake posted:

The thing that bothers me the most about Gunner Yuna is that loving hood. What the gently caress is that even for

Her design's mimicking Tidus.

She's got things like the hood, the retarded half-dress, and Abes' symbol on her chest. Obviously it's not a good looking design, but there was at least some reason for it.

quote:

Agreed. Like I've said quite a few times, Fang is one of my favorite FF designs ever.

Yeah, Fang's an odd one, since her clothes are by all means stupid looking, but they end up looking pretty good in practice. Context is really everything.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Momomo posted:

Her design's mimicking Tidus.

She's got things like the hood, the retarded half-dress, and Abes' symbol on her chest. Obviously it's not a good looking design, but there was at least some reason for it.

Oh Godammit how did I not see that? It's just hard to believe that was intentional.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gaseous Snake posted:

Oh Godammit how did I not see that? It's just hard to believe that was intentional.

Considering Yuna has dress spheres which directly reference Tidus in various ways, I can't imagine how it couldn't be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I might have to give these guys more credit. The only things I recognized were Tidus and Auron's swords.