Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

i wish this were a good game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
that looks really good

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I just realised I'm playing LR around Easter. Seems fitting. :v:

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

I just started up FFXII after years and years not playing it (IZJS this time), and it's kind of interesting how much FFXIV took from it, stylistically. Everything from the movement/camera style to the targeting lines to the light blue dotted lines indicating area transitions.

Dear god, is it ever tough to go back to, though. You can tell the PS2 had huge issues rendering everything, because your choices are basically "zoomed the gently caress in facing forward" or "top down," camera-wise. It's so easy to get lost just because of that, and it makes it kind of frustrating to try again.
If you want to get root cause about it I think both 12 and 14 took all of that from 11.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So FF3 Red Mage is by far my favorite now but I'm curious about something. What do you guys think are the best and worst incarnations of a job/class?

For instance, X-2 Dark Knight is great. Cray good stats. FF3 Dark Knight blows.
I think most would agree Kimahri's Blue Magic sucks and I never much liked it in X-2, either.
And so-on.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
FFX's Blue Magic is by far the worst. FF5's Spellblade is the best. FF4's Dragoon is the best. Gau was the best Blue Mage there ever will be.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Are we talking about "worst" as in "least cool/entertaining" or "not useful"? Because the various FFV incarnations of classes are probably the strongest in a lot of cases just because that game was so insanely busted

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

FFTA viera assassin is awesome.

Killing Vector
May 3, 2009

corn in the bible posted:

i wish this were a good game

Unlimited SaGa has really great art and music. Too bad about everything else about it.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Countblanc posted:

Are we talking about "worst" as in "least cool/entertaining" or "not useful"? Because the various FFV incarnations of classes are probably the strongest in a lot of cases just because that game was so insanely busted
FF5 Red Mage is garbage though

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Hi. FFXV will fall short of its true potential because there's no way satisfactorily to transcribe a portmanteau of "bro" and "road trip." Bye.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Gologle posted:

FFX's Blue Magic is by far the worst. FF5's Spellblade is the best. FF4's Dragoon is the best. Gau was the best Blue Mage there ever will be.

Gau is the best everything :colbert:

FF7 had the worst Blue Mage mechanic out of all the games. I just hated materia in general but that one was extra levels of bullshit.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bongo Bill posted:

Hi. FFXV will fall short of its true potential because there's no way satisfactorily to transcribe a portmanteau of "bro" and "road trip." Bye.

Broad Trip. It has a double meaning because they are going to see the protagonist's girlfriend.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Seriously how do you write the words "bro" and then "road" and not immediately see how to proceed

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Brōd Trip

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
What role does Lightning play in FFXV

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Saint Freak posted:

What role does Lightning play in FFXV

RAV

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Countblanc posted:

Likewise, the FF3 NES version (not the DS version since that one actually buffed the crappy classes) of many classes are probably the weakest because the jobs were not balanced at all and only half the jobs in the game are actually viable. Black Mage is poo poo because Black Magic is poo poo after Nepto's Cave, Red Mage is poo poo because it loses all equipment and magic options early on, Scholar is poo poo because it has horrible Vitality and can die to a light breeze, Geomancer is poo poo because its ability can backfire and is usually pretty weak, Bard is poo poo because it has no real utility or options or really anything to do.

On the other hand, Ninja is easily its best in FF3 since it's the ultimate fighting job and has the stats and weapon variety to back that up.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
FF1 probably has the best Red Mage.

He has the 2nd best gear options behind the Fighter until class change (in a game where up-to-date armor means you barely take damage until that point) and is almost as effective as the Black Mage at nuking enemies throughout the game while having non-trivial attacks, high survivability, and about half the functionality of a White Mage (but the spells the Red Mage loses from White are a lot bigger deal).

FF1 may also have the best Monk, relative to other classes in the game, and FF5 the worst.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Mega64 posted:

Likewise, the FF3 NES version (not the DS version since that one actually buffed the crappy classes) of many classes are probably the weakest because the jobs were not balanced at all and only half the jobs in the game are actually viable. Black Mage is poo poo because Black Magic is poo poo after Nepto's Cave, Red Mage is poo poo because it loses all equipment and magic options early on, Scholar is poo poo because it has horrible Vitality and can die to a light breeze, Geomancer is poo poo because its ability can backfire and is usually pretty weak, Bard is poo poo because it has no real utility or options or really anything to do.

On the other hand, Ninja is easily its best in FF3 since it's the ultimate fighting job and has the stats and weapon variety to back that up.

Way I heard it, Ninja and Sage are the only jobs worth anything in FF3NES.

I thought about tryng out Sage in the...Uh...I'll just call it the 3D version since calling it "DS version" makes no sense, butthe loss of physical options made me stick with Red Mage. It can do all the Black and White Magic I need while also having good defense and physical offense.

Right now in the FF3-3D postgame I got my Red Mage Refia dual wielding Ultima Weapon and Excalibur and decked out with her Job Master Item, which makes her hit as hard as my Black Belt with one Boost.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Ff14 probably had the strongest monk tbh

Mega64
May 23, 2008

NikkolasKing posted:

Way I heard it, Ninja and Sage are the only jobs worth anything in FF3NES.

I thought about tryng out Sage in the...Uh...I'll just call it the 3D version since calling it "DS version" makes no sense, butthe loss of physical options made me stick with Red Mage. It can do all the Black and White Magic I need while also having good defense and physical offense.

Right now in the FF3-3D postgame I got my Red Mage Refia dual wielding Ultima Weapon and Excalibur and decked out with her Job Master Item, which makes her hit as hard as my Black Belt with one Boost.

Ninja and Sage are the "ultimate" jobs, and you actually get them at the very end of Eureka rather than the Earth Crystal. Sages have an insane amount of MP and get the best version of each Summon rather than the weaker versions, plus they still have one of the better HP growths. That MP plus summons plus the massive amount of Elixirs you'd have by then meant you didn't need physical attacks by then, Sages could get by with ~30 castings or so of Titan.

It's important to keep in mind that the jobs weren't meant to be balanced in FF3. You're supposed to replace jobs as you went, which is why Red Mage is nice early on but quickly becomes obsolete, the other four starting jobs all have direct upgrades, and so on. The DS version actually does a nice job making jobs that were horrible in the original much more viable, like Bard going from the worst job in the game to one of the best. It also shuffled around a lot of the jobs, for example Thief wasn't available until the second crystal in the original (and I think it had its own unique weapons instead of knives, weapons you could only get in the town you reach after the third crystal), and the last crystal only had Magus/Evoker/Summoner.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

ImpAtom posted:

Broad Trip. It has a double meaning because they are going to see the protagonist's girlfriend.

"bromantic getaway"

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

It's called "Top Gun", people. Jesus Christ.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Augus posted:

It's called "Top Gun", people. Jesus Christ.

Blitzball in FFXV is just shirtless volleyball. You don't even control the volleyball, you only control which type of oil you put on your chests and which party member will do it. Massaging each other's oily muscles builds your relationship gauge, which allows for powerful combo attacks.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Mega64 posted:

Ninja and Sage are the "ultimate" jobs, and you actually get them at the very end of Eureka rather than the Earth Crystal. Sages have an insane amount of MP and get the best version of each Summon rather than the weaker versions, plus they still have one of the better HP growths. That MP plus summons plus the massive amount of Elixirs you'd have by then meant you didn't need physical attacks by then, Sages could get by with ~30 castings or so of Titan.

It's important to keep in mind that the jobs weren't meant to be balanced in FF3. You're supposed to replace jobs as you went, which is why Red Mage is nice early on but quickly becomes obsolete, the other four starting jobs all have direct upgrades, and so on. The DS version actually does a nice job making jobs that were horrible in the original much more viable, like Bard going from the worst job in the game to one of the best. It also shuffled around a lot of the jobs, for example Thief wasn't available until the second crystal in the original (and I think it had its own unique weapons instead of knives, weapons you could only get in the town you reach after the third crystal), and the last crystal only had Magus/Evoker/Summoner.

Out of curiosity I YouTubed the NES version of the final boss.
All she does in that versin is spam one move while your Sages uses Cure4 and your Ninjas throw Shuriken.

I think I made the right choice in which version to play. Actually having options on how to play it is nice. Although why you wouldn't have everyone dual-wielding in the remake is beyond me

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Blitzball in FFXV is just shirtless volleyball. You don't even control the volleyball, you only control which type of oil you put on your chests and which party member will do it. Massaging each other's oily muscles builds your relationship gauge, which allows for powerful combo attacks.

Are there special oils that boost your stats after the volleyball match

Also "Final Fantasy: Brogue Trip 20xx". I wanted to make a Rogue Trip: 2012 pun but eh.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Caught in a Rad Bromance.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

NikkolasKing posted:

Out of curiosity I YouTubed the NES version of the final boss.
All she does in that versin is spam one move while your Sages uses Cure4 and your Ninjas throw Shuriken.

I think I made the right choice in which version to play. Actually having options on how to play it is nice. Although why you wouldn't have everyone dual-wielding in the remake is beyond me

Dual-wielding is just as broken in the original. Only reason you wouldn't dual-wield is if you need defense for some reason (like some areas in a solo game) or would already kill everything with one weapon. Shields are actually pretty good in the original (and I assume the remake as well) since the later ones boost stats to keep you competitive damage-wise, it's just dual-wielding is that good.

I actually like the NES final boss just because it's probably the only time in the history of the genre that a bad guy is smart enough just to spam their most powerful attack over and over, making the final battle one giant slugfest with both sides unleashing their most powerful attacks until one side finally gives out. Though it's true that it takes pretty much no strategy, but that's what the other bosses are for.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Mega64 posted:

Dual-wielding is just as broken in the original. Only reason you wouldn't dual-wield is if you need defense for some reason (like some areas in a solo game) or would already kill everything with one weapon. Shields are actually pretty good in the original (and I assume the remake as well) since the later ones boost stats to keep you competitive damage-wise, it's just dual-wielding is that good.

I actually like the NES final boss just because it's probably the only time in the history of the genre that a bad guy is smart enough just to spam their most powerful attack over and over, making the final battle one giant slugfest with both sides unleashing their most powerful attacks until one side finally gives out. Though it's true that it takes pretty much no strategy, but that's what the other bosses are for.

Uhhh dude you saunter up to Sephiroth and he smirks and says how cute and blows up the entire solar system. That's true power

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Like Dragon Quest, none of the NES games are really about razor's edge, strategic boss battles anyway so much as they are resource management as you trek through dungeons. If you can GET to bosses with four decently-equipped, living characters who still have magic in the NES games, you're almost definitely fine.

A lot of strategic stuff came with the transition to ATB and monsters with fancier/multiple sprites in FF4, with things like Rubicant's cloak.

FF4 is good.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

In Training posted:

Uhhh dude you saunter up to Sephiroth and he smirks and says how cute and blows up the entire solar system. That's true power

Our solar system, not theirs, which is important I feel

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

8-Bit Scholar posted:

There will not be blitzballs in FFXV. If there are blitzballs in FFXV, it's just one more reason added to the growing mountain of why you shouldn't play FFXV.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

So FF3 Red Mage is by far my favorite now but I'm curious about something. What do you guys think are the best and worst incarnations of a job/class?

For instance, X-2 Dark Knight is great. Cray good stats. FF3 Dark Knight blows.
I think most would agree Kimahri's Blue Magic sucks and I never much liked it in X-2, either.
And so-on.

X-2 Blue Magic is great. Decent variety, not totally overpowered, but not crappy either. Very balanced.

As far as Berserker goes, FF5 Berserker sucks balls. X-2 Berserker has great style and abilities.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

gigglefeimer posted:

X-2 Blue Magic is great. Decent variety, not totally overpowered, but not crappy either. Very balanced.

As far as Berserker goes, FF5 Berserker sucks balls. X-2 Berserker has great style and abilities.

I don't like "hope boss hits you with ability" types of blue magic.

X-2 Berserker was good though, agreed on that.

X-2 White Mage sucks though because you only need Alchemist. Infinite Mega Potions can carry even the most inept players to victory.

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

Speaking of X-2 blue magic. What's the best way to deal with Mega Tonberries so you can oversoul them and get them to use Cry in the Night?

That's the only Blue Bullet I'm missing.

OgretailFood fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Mar 29, 2016

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I used the blue mage dressphere a decent amount in X-2 because it had those cool abilities that do quadruple damage to specific enemy types (flans/birds/wolves etc) and they had some cool stuff like Mighty Guard/White Wind

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
XI has the worst DRK. Bonus points because to unlock it you have to kill 100 enemies in a specific zone with a hugely lovely greatsword (666 delay ha-ha-ha) and if you kill something with a weaponskill or someone else gets the finishing blow it doesn't count.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Bongo Bill posted:

You don't need to, because one word implies the other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

I don't like "hope boss hits you with ability" types of blue magic.

X-2 Berserker was good though, agreed on that.

X-2 White Mage sucks though because you only need Alchemist. Infinite Mega Potions can carry even the most inept players to victory.

X-2 White Mage is great. Instant healing, the best Magic Defense, lots of great buffs. Alchemists are great too. One doesn't have to suck for the other to be good. And really, multitarget Cures do just as well as Stash Mega Potions.