Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hawaiian Shirt
Oct 10, 2006

I barely even drink a lot
I'm sure this won't go over well, but I enjoyed VIII a lot more when I just threw away all my preconceptions of Squall's personality and just assumed that he was a chronically depressed teenager with various social disorders and the whole thing just sort of came together. I mean, he just wanted a military career and to be left alone and he ends up commanding a child army against an entire country led by an actual myth. I'd probably be pissy too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hawaiian Shirt
Oct 10, 2006

You're a sportsball superstar who hates his dad and during The Big Game an extradimensional sperm whale fires out from some goddamn where and blows up everything, and the only reason you survive is because your dad's weird friend with a lovely arm shoves you into a time warp or something and you end up joining a group of assholes who are supposed to kill the whale monster but it turns out the whale monster is your dad and it turns out the whole thing is cooked up by the world church and it turns out you don't exist.

That XIII-3 trailer seems like a cry for help from someone in the company to me.

Hawaiian Shirt
Oct 10, 2006

Mr. Maltose posted:

I like that the thing that pushes Wakka over to being pro-machina is the unbridled destructive power of an airship missile barrage, as he whoops and hollers at the fireworks like the backwoods hick he is while not recognizing the murder of a major touchstone of a minority culture.

Because gently caress it, shooting a ton of missiles looks awesome.

I love the hell out of the scene on the shoopuf where he goes off on the al bhed for being cowards and thieves or whatever right in front of Rikku and Tidus has to trick him into shutting up. Yuna even does a perfect "thanks for letting our racist friend down easy" look and mouths thank you behind his back.

Hawaiian Shirt
Oct 10, 2006

Is the beef with 9 all technical? I haven't played it in a while but I can't think of much to diss other than the full minute between Start Battle and your first command. I like the characters and they way they interact, the plot isn't really any more whacked out than any other FF game, and I remember enjoying the hell out of the ability system.

The only plot points I can remember being potentially stupid are the character separations in disc 1 and of course removing the sheet covering up the true last boss immediately after a substantially better fight. Talk me out of playing FF 9 again now that I'm an adult, bearing in mind that I really liked 8 when I played it last year, which is a complete 180 from before

Hawaiian Shirt
Oct 10, 2006

Schwartzcough posted:

Eh, she clearly has a very hard time doing what SHE wants instead of what people tell or ask her to do. It's practically a plot point in X-2, that she's trying to learn how to be more assertive. And yet through the majority of the game, she still completely caves and does whatever totally menial task random strangers ask her to do (which is just JRPG syndrome, I know, but it's somehow more in-your-face with her).

She does get jerked around on a chain a lot, but I was noticing when replaying X that she's the only one to plan anything at all more than a step ahead. The party as a group spends a lot of time either going after Yuna to "save" her from her espionage missions to deal with Seymour or stop these murderous Al Bhed who she's not scared of in the least. I guess it might just be that Tidus is the narrator for the whole thing and he's a big goofy dummy but it seemed like a lot of the conflict in the middle third came from the party rushing as fast as they can to blow her cover.