Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

C-Euro posted:

To start us off- I've heard it mention in a few places that oftentimes one's favorite Final Fantasy is the first one they ever played. How many of you are guilty of this? FF6 was the first one I played and it remains one of my favorite games of all time, so I've fallen into that trap.

Completely disagree with this.

My first was VII, and while it was my favorite for a quite a bit of time, my favorites in the series are VIII and XII.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Great thread by the way, Happy Blue Cow!

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
I wish FFCC had online. The game would be a top-tier FF it did.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
One of the first projects this generation they should have made Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles 2 for ps3 and 360, with online support, 4 player parties.

Instead, they put the Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles sequels on the wii and ds respectively.

The only reason I can think of is that the people at Square Enix are idiots.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Mansion Maniac posted:

Maybe I should have tacked on that I haven't found an FF enjoyable since it left the PS1.

And yet Nomura's art was a big proponent in two of the three psx FF's.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Pesky Splinter posted:

Even better is that Amano has artwork for the Thin White Duke himself.

:allears:

No loving way.

I actually said that out loud.

pw pw pw posted:

Dude take another look at that tidus.

That is God-awful character design. Like, laughed-out-of-a-job-interview bad.

Don't make me bring up Amano art from the FF2 vaults again.

Pesky Splinter posted:

Not a game, but an upcoming movie.

:fap:

Holy gently caress I am geeking the gently caress out.

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 05:35 on May 18, 2012

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

p.crestmont posted:

Nomura's style fits better with early PS1 polygon blocky characters. I really liked the character images in FFVII, they were cartoony, but had a lot of character and were just plain good. (also by the way Amano designs all the characters, Nomura/other artists "reimagine" them in proper anime as I understand it).

After VII the FF in game art started a Descent into Anime. It had reached a low at Seymour's awful hair and Tidus' pants-like apparatus in X, then XII almost started to dig out of it in a different direction, but XIII just rocketed back into the abyss.

FFVII is plenty "anime". In fact, it's more anime than FFVIII or IX's designs.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Jesus Christ, I looked at my subscriptions and noticed, hey! Over 100+ posts! Maybe there's some news on a new FF game, because after all, E3 is in a few weeks!

And then I clicked the read latest posts button.

Haha. In short, I agree with WTFits. FF8 is a game that repeatedly uses a specific storytelling technique where they don't explain basic poo poo because they expect the player to be on the ball. It's painfully obvious that is how Squall is alive. He was needed for interrogation, what does Edea gain from his death? Nothing. Maybe they could have added a "Maybe they healed me? But for what?" after the "no wound?" line, maybe not. But the logic is already there and merits zero questioning beyond petty fan discussion.

I find it interesting how a lot of FF8's detractors complain about the story and storytelling but then end up being mad that certain things aren't specifically said, but are heavily implied and need the game to guide them to understand what's going on , like in any every other Final Fantasy. Isn't it ironic that their favorite entry to hate on for its story is also the one Final Fantasy - besides 12, of course :allears: - that does gives its audience enough credit to figure out what's going on without explaining and hand holding them through each and every detail?

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 08:45 on May 24, 2012

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
I have to admit, I miss when the games had ultimate weapons. I wish each game had ultimate weapons unique to each character, and you had to go through a long, hard quest in order to get it, to make it feel rewarding. Maybe even entangle that with a character arc somehow. The only games I can think of that's even remotely in that area are 6, 7, 10-2, and 12. For example, I am a big fan of choice. I love the Ragnarok sword quest in 6 where you are given the choice between the sword and the spell. Or in FF12 where I go through a long quest to unlock a dungeon so I can dungeon crawl where the mobs are 10-30 levels higher than me to retrieve a rare weapon drop.

I really miss that element of Final Fantasy and I haven't played 13-2 yet so I don't know if it revived it. But I think the worst solution is putting the best weapon out in the middle of nowhere, with no reward at all, like it's a freebie. I remember being angry that they pulled this with Barret's ultimate weapon in VII - making it a boring treasure chest drop right before fighting Hojo.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Fellow Final Fantasy XII fans:

Fake or not fake?

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Versus on Wii U? Nintendo to use blu ray? Fake.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

homeless snail posted:

Yeah sure why not, regged hard. What's the best version of FF5 these days, the GBA one? Or did they ever put out a native PSP port.

Go with GBA.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Azure_Horizon posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVX0OUO9ptU

Oh Square, you are still gods of visual design.

A bunch of mages are being attacked by guerrillas with guns. Somehow the guerrillas have a serum that can make wolves gigantic and hulking, with spikes bursting from their backs. Then a giant magical beast breaks free and saves our fair maiden!

These elements aren't random at ALL - no sir!

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
It's pretty hard to get excited when everything this company has showed us ends up going down in flames or delayed to the point where the popular sentiment is one of apathy. It looks neat, but honestly, who really cares? At least coming from Square-Enix of all companies?

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Don't play Earthbound; play Mother 3 instead.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

That loving Sned posted:

A lot of Mother 3's impact depends on you having played Earthbound first, or at least know the whole plot.

On the other hand, the battle system in Mother 3 is excellent, due to the rhythm-based attacks. Tapping the A button in time with the music allows you to score up to 15 more hits which get progressively weaker, although it isn't necessary to beat the game.

Disagree, Earthbound is boring as poo poo and I never beat it. Beat Mother 3 in three days, by comparison.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Endorph posted:

I think revenantkioku lives in Japan, taking a look at his twitter. Might be wrong though.

RK lives in Japan, yes.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
I regged for the Fiesta. Pretty pumped.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
My twitter name is therootsweshare, that's my name on the player list. Who is everyone else?

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
I got knight.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Holy poo poo, man. FF5 without a healer is loving AWESOME.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

nene. posted:

http://www.justin.tv/cube89 I'm going to stream more FF5 Four Job Fiesta. My first job was Knight! What will my second job be... I hope to find out tonight.

Me too! Any big hurdles with knight only?

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
I've decided Gilgabot loves me.

@therootsweshare can now use the Water Job 'Red Mage'. Get ready to grind JP.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Dr Pepper posted:

What jobs do you have?

Knight and Red Mage. Just completed water.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Liquid Flame is absolutely loving my poo poo up. I may have to go with two red mages.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Nooooo :gonk:

@therootsweshare can now use the Fire Job 'Bard'. La la la la la! Play the pianos!

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
I've never bothered with bards in FF5 in the half dozen of times playing it. So either way this will be a refreshing experience.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Trasson posted:

Nailed the bastard!

I had to try out a few different configurations in order to finally find one that worked. Really, though, it came down to luck: luck on who got aimed at, on both sides, and luck that Grand Cross didn't end my run.

In the end, here are the changes I made from my earlier picture:
Lenna got the Crystal Armor because I'm dumb and didn't buy a fourth Dark Suit. I handed the Dark Suit to Faris so she'd have that little bit more Agility. Lenna also switched from the Rune Axe setup to the Excalibur with shield. I didn't lose a whole lot of damage, and being able to dodge nearly half the Vaccuum Waves headed her way saved me trouble. Finally, Cara was dropped into the back row: her main goal was to trigger Earth Shaker as much as possible, so she didn't need to be in front. Letting her be in back let her eat a physical every now and then, and it extended the Magic Lamp's Earth Wall.

I'll have the full World 3 writeup at some point soon, as well as my full thoughts on the run.

Someone get this guy a title.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

MrAristocrates posted:

Just beat Liquid Flame. Had to use a combination of all the advice: I switched two of my Thieves for Berserkers, grinded up to level 23, and stole about 20 Hi-Potions (I only needed 4).

Edit: I got Geomancer for Fire. I've been told that's good. :toot:

drat, my guys aren't even in their 20's yet and I've got the black chocobo.

I find myself grinding less this run. I should probably sit down and grind jobs a bit.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Mathemagician posted:

Seeing as I've already beaten the game once for this thing, is there anything stopping me from making another twitter account and running it again? Not a lot on my plate this weekend.

It wouldn't hurt to try and #reg with your original twitter account but in the mean time I've asked RK.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Yep, he gave me this answer:

@therootsweshare Once they have had their victory confirmed by me, yes. If they have a star next to their name they can #reg/#reghard again.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

ShadeofDante posted:

So after winning using a Beastmaster for the first time I'm curious, does Berserk (status ailment) cause special weapons to proc abilities more often? The fire whip went from activating Firaga every four turns or so to working every time, on top of the whip itself hitting for nearly the same damage as the spell.

Basically what I'm saying is Beastmaster owns and should show up in any future job based FF game.

Play X-2.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Just completed Clash on the Big Bridge. I ended up getting Dragoon for my final class.

Haha, didn't manage to play all weekend since I was busy. Time to catch up with the rest of you folks.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
FFVII is a lower-mid tier FF. It has been topped countless times.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Jrpgs were never really that popular in the mainstream in the west beyond games like Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, Poke'mon and a few others. FFVII helped the genre gain ground and attention, which spurred on more localizations of games from around the genre, but that doesn't mean that a lot of those games sold particularly well. Fan favorites like Suikoden seres peaked at 200k sold in America with III, its most popular entry - by way of sales. Sure, there are exceptions. In particular, Persona 3 and 4 did extremely well for Atlus USA. As did Demon's Souls, and even with all that reception, it took Demon's Souls a year to reach 500k units sold. Still, that's pretty good for being a system exclusive.

It is a massive myth that FFVII popularized the genre; it didn't. It popularized the words Final Fantasy. It also helped bring over better, but far less popular products. But no one ever really saw as much success as Square did with Final Fantasy/Kingdom Hearts and Nintendo with Poke'mon.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
For me FF7 was a totally new thing. Super mario RPG was the first time I ever heard the term RPG, and I watched my friend play it when he got it, but didn't understand it. As for FF7, my favorite genre in the 8 and 16 bit eras were platformers and pc adventure games. So the very idea of FF7 enthralled me. I remember thinking "how does he kill people with his sword if you only use a menu? You mean it doesn't work like Zelda?" :allears:

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

pw pw pw posted:

Oh for god's sakes, stop being so melodramatic.

You goons, i swear.

Seriously, what is wrong with you people?

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
I thought Shadow Hearts: Covenant was one of the worst rpgs I ever played. The combat system was fun, but there is subsystem upon subsystem in the game, and its content feels like it draws content because there's so much else about the game. The character were horrible, the voice acting good, but the scenario was batshit insanity. It was so hard for me to enjoy it, between the muscle man superheroes and the stereotypical gay shop clerks who appear in every town.

Speaking of towns, the towns were small one screen fare.

I remember being told how great the game was, ended up playing it, and didn't understand what all the praise was about.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Yeah, I normally like modern settings, so the insanity was really off putting for me.

Oxxidation posted:

The rest of your post was merely inaccurate and I suspect tailored specifically to piss off Azure Horizon, since he has the kind of obsession with that series that normally ends with people going to jail, but this one is just a flat-out lie. Even the smallest towns are three screens, minimum, and large screens at that.

I don't think it's a lie at all. Then again, I stopped playing half way.

And none of what I said was inaccurate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Look, Azure's love for and my distaste for Shadow Hearts Covenant is merely coincidental! I am not doing this on purpose! Promise! Azure and I just happen to have complete opposite tastes in games.