Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Why is so much of FFXIV,”do you remember when?!” the mmorpg?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Elephant Ambush posted:

You're kinda dumb if you can't see why without asking.

I mean unless you're 15 and don't know what nostalgia is yet.

I mean, I know why. Nostalgia sells. But it feels like anytime I see anything from that game it’s,”hey, remember when FF did this?!” Saw some Golden Saucer thing, some Cyan castle with Cyan’s theme, a boss fight with Kefka and the Statue of Gods while Dancing Mad plays, its got Magitek armor, and now this. Just feels like nostalgia is all it has to offer speaking as an outsider who hasn’t put much time into the game yet and I’m just curious if it has anything to offer on its own merits, which isn’t a dumb thing to ask at all.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

BrightWing posted:

I play 14 because I like 14 for what it is.

That’s cool. I like what I’ve played but haven’t been able to invest much into it.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Cleretic posted:

It's a very referential game, but for the most part it's not ONLY being referential, it's using these known elements to thread new concepts and stories. Like, it's got Ultima Weapon in the storyline for A Realm Reborn, but despite looking like the one from FFVII he's an entirely different figure, filling a different role.

If you want XIV to have its own voice, it absolutely does, but Stormblood is actually a really bad point to be saying that in, because for some reason Stormblood is just SUPER referential. The two endgame raid chains are explicitly so (there's the Omega chain that's the bosses from V and VI you've already heard about, but there's also a more story-focused one that's directly got characters from FFXII and is about you digging up the truth behind the War of the Lions), but you've got Doma, you've got Shinryu and Omega, you've got an area that seems to be a combination of FFX's Calm Lands and XIII's Archylte Steppe, there is a dungeon that's basically just the Magitek Research Facility from VI, the Atma Weapon from VI makes an appearance at some point.

Stormblood still has its own voice, but for whatever reason it's also when they started getting way more flagrant about their references.

Wow that sounds kind of lame in a way. Have fans complained about this? Sounds obnoxious.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

BrightWing posted:

It worked for me early because it really is my first mmo, so all the easy early stuff was appreciated.

Now it's a pain in my rear end.

How so? Doesn’t bode well for me because one of the reasons I want to play it is because people say you can play it casually or whatever and not make it your life like other mmo’s and I’m going to be applying to grad school this year and was thinking of playing a casual long term game that doesn’t require commitment like a fighting game would and now you’re telling me this!

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

ItBreathes posted:

Have you considered... not an MMO?

FFXIV is stated as a causal game. I think I leveled up to level 10 or whatever in a few hours when I first got it. It’s not much of a grind and can be taken in gulps. At least in the early game.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
It's just that the SNES d-pad is utter balls when it comes to things like fighting game inputs. It's okay to admit it. Probably its only real failing. Doesn't help that the rate FFVI accepts viable diagonal inputs works only half the time. Playing HF on the SNES Classic has given me calluses because of its awful d-pad. Using the extra input for Sabin's blitzes has been a lifesaver.

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 00:28 on May 24, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Holy Jesus on a Mexican piece of toast. Rinoa in Dissidia NT might push me to finally pick it up.