Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Troffen posted:

The game's a bit of a blur to me, but I'm pretty sure Echoes of Time had online co-op.

e: Of course, being a DS/Wii game, I'm sure the online was massively disappointing in some way. I remember barely touching it.
The online was actually pretty great except for the whole Nintendo friend code/no voice chat thing. Echoes of Time is criminally underrated imo. Worthy follow up to FFCC and one of the best action-RPGs on the DS.

Too bad it was mostly overshadowed by the horrible laziness of the Wii port.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

DoubleDonut posted:

I was replaying FFV the other day and thought to myself, "Gee, I wish there were other games with this amount of (statistical) character customization that I don't already know everything about." So, what are some other games that allow for that kind of customization besides FFV and the Tactics series? All I could think of were Tactics Ogre - which I have already played to death - and FFX-2, which is a bit too wacky/light-hearted for me.
You should look into Disgaea.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Disgaea's transmigration is a fairly direct descendant of FFT's job system, but its true you don't get there without a fuckload of grinding.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Cityinthesea posted:

Wasn't FFTA just technically based on Ivalice? Like, are the events of FFTA... canon in the Ivaliceaverse? I always thought it was just them inhabiting a fantasy version of Ivalice (I mean, I guess Monteblanc is in FF12 and FFTA but that's pretty much it as far as references go)
No, FFTA's Ivalice is a collective dreamworld based on Final Fantasy 12 created by a group of broken kids as a means of escape from their lovely lives. I'm pretty sure at one point they even end up saying "Hey, this is exactly like my favorite video game, Final Fantasy 12!"

You can safely ignore everything that is not a battle sequence in either of the FFTA games.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Azure_Horizon posted:

I dunno about that at all. The fact that Squall takes a near-fatal wound and then is magically better with no holes in his clothes or any sign of the wound is bizarre enough. Any cohesiveness in FF8 is only felt in Disc 1. Afterward, everything just kind of falls apart.
I borrowed my brother's copy of FF8, except he only gave me disc 1 because he was perpetually on disc 2. I was stuck on that cliffhanger for like a year and was totally convinced it was the greatest loving game ever. Then I finally bought a copy of my own :ohdear:

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

W.T. Fits posted:

I still can't wrap my mind around the argument of:

Squall takes a severe wound from a magical attack in a world where magic is a real thing and the only possible explanation for him suddenly magically being healed with no signs of a wound is, "HE'S REALLY SLOWLY BLEEDING OUT AND EVERYTHING FROM THAT POINT ON IS A HALLUCINATION HIS DYING MIND MAKES UP BECAUSE SQUARESOFT WAS TOTALLY REFERENCING SOME SHORT STORY I ONCE READ IN MIDDLE SCHOOL AND IT'S MORE SYMBOLIC AND DEEP AND MEANINGFUL THAN THE STUPID ORPHANAGE PLOT TWIST AAAAAAHHHHHHH" :byodood:

No. Just no. He was injured, then healed magically offscreen. It wasn't ever shown in-game because the people making the game more than likely assumed the audience would be smart enough to remember, "Oh, right, healing magic," and move on from there.
It makes total sense when you say it like that, but its also completely contrary to 15 years of JRPG tradition up to that point. All those dumb theories are just coming out of the cognitive dissonance that these games have trained us to develop about the differences between the mild inconvenience of battle-death and the finality of cutscene-death. Why didn't any of the Aeris resurrection legends involve Cloud using a phoenix down? Its because we implicitly know that's against the rules of the game.

And that's why video games suck.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I'm pretty sure that gets mentioned several times in the first hour of the game.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Fight Club Sandwich posted:

That's good game balance though. Tradeoffs and exploiting strengths/covering weaknesses is what keeps things interesting.
Leave balance to the normal weapons. The whole point to the ultimate weapons is that you've dedicated some absurdly large chunk of your life to obtain what's literally The Ultimate Weapon of the game. It is a totally superfluous easter egg for people to sperg out over.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Then you come to the realization that you're skipping gameplay to get to increasingly long and nonsensical cutscenes. Or at least, I did.

You're right though, FF13 is made substantially better when you only fight something once every 10 minutes or so.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I know we don't talk about it in these parts, but Final Fantasy 14 is on sale for $8 again.

I got it last week just out of morbid curiosity, and I gotta say, I was pleasantly surprised. The art style and cutscenes and character design all feel very FF, which I guess makes sense considering its running on the FF13 engine. Not to mention the story which is some ridiculous hodgepodge of Final Fantasy references. Right now the evil Magitek Empire is casting Meteor to, I don't loving know, kill Ifrit or something.

It seems like its much improved since its lovely launch, but its not quite there yet, there's a lot of UI weirdness and world design issues they're waiting until the 2.0 relaunch to fix. I feel like I've definitely got my $8 worth, though, for something that substantially feels like a Final Fantasy 12 MMO.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Eidos Montreal? Also, it sounds an awful lot like that Fortress game Grin was working on. I dunno if its real or not, but more Ivalice is good. efb

Pesky Splinter posted:

The fighting is probably the best part of the game. It's better than sitting though the story at least. Though it gets tiresome real quick when after every other battle or every five minutes, there's a cutscene.
That's what they say, I just wasn't feeling it though. Making the combat more intellectually demanding is fine for bosses, but it just felt like busywork fighting random mooks. Like WoW where if I do this and this and this I'll win every fight in 10 seconds. I found that combat loop to be really tedious.

Yeah I realize how dumb that sounds right after my post about how much I like FF14.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

So long as there's actually a reason for the character to be young, beyond having a good looking androgynous teenager to appeal to your key demo. See: Vaan from FFXII.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Yeah, but the point was the kids at school made fun of her stark white hair. Her wish was to be semi-normal, just like the other horribly broken main characters. Don't you feel her pain? Its like totally deep and stuff.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Yeah sure why not, regged hard. What's the best version of FF5 these days, the GBA one? Or did they ever put out a native PSP port.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

fount of knowledge posted:

I guess I'm just used to every Final Fantasy from VI -> XII, since "unit that automatically and singularly uses "Attack"" would be an entirely viable way to clear those games. :v:
There's a reason they said FFV was "too hard" to bring to America. Not that its super difficult, but mechanically it does require a little more thought than the other SNES FFs. The thing that makes the Four Job Fiesta so crazy is that you're locked out of at least 80% of the choices in a game that is all about strategically choosing things.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

der juicen posted:

I need a very simple question answered. Is LS used a whole bunch in FF XIII on the 360. I'm looking for a good RPG, a fun experience, but I need a game that doesn't use LS intensely. Yes, it's related to my new custom title. Man, you have to be careful making fun of someone who likes to insult you. They usually have money and get their feelings hurt. :3:

Also I've never really played an FF, but they always look interesting. I know the jRPG format, enjoyed Lost Odessey, watched battle videos of XIII and it doesn't seem you really use LS, but I cannot find the control manual so I'm kind of in the dark.
Wow, that has to be the most mean spirited big red title I've ever seen, jesus.

Anyway, yeah LS is used very sparingly as ^ that guy ^ said. I think the game is totally manageable one handed. More importantly though, why don't they make these things anymore? Mass produced controllers designed specifically for Final Fantasy, loving brilliant.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Nope, and you have to deal with the infuriating load times that all of those PSX SNES ports had.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Am I missing anything because it look like theatrythm is a cheap cash in but a lot of people are actually exited for it.
It looks like a pretty decent rhythm game set against the iconic moments and music of classic FF. Its a way more interesting application of nostalgia than some lovely remake. Sort of like Dissidia.

What seems cheap about it, though? Other than the music and the occasional cutscene its not like they're reusing a bunch of premade assets or anything.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The cinematics only play during the "Event" levels, which make up like a third of the game. This is what the rest looks like: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGw0-I6YvY0

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

TiltedAtWindmills posted:

Do you get a damage boost from casting an elemental spell if you have equipment of the same element equipped in FFV? Example: Casting Aeroga while equipped with an Air Knife.
Absolutely, yeah.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Gammatron 64 posted:

On the plus side, Naoki Yoshida actually knows MMOs pretty well, was a big fan of WoW and knows what he's doing, but it's a lot of work to clean up Tanaka's mess, and even if he does make FFXIV into a good game, can it really ever escape the reputation it has?
Hopefully the 2.0 relaunch goes well. Looks like they're trying to make it a big dramatic event.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Incredibly grindy, zero content, horrible loving zone design. Yoshi-P's regime has done a lot of work remedying the first two, and the biggest bulletpoint for 2.0 will be the brand new zones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Also, that stuff almost always goes on sale on Steam, and the summer sale is coming real soon now. You can probably get it for sub-$10 if you wait a week.