Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
one hidden challenge of playing FFXV with the Nixperience Band is trying to cash in at juuuust the right time to hit the sweet spot between "overleveled" and "i am become boyband, destroyer of worlds"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
FFXV always seemed to want me to believe noct was a lot whinier than he actually was

kid kept it together pretty good considering all the poo poo that kept getting dumped on him, but whoops here's the Bipedal Abs telling him to get over his fiancee being shivved in front of him like two weeks ago

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ApplesandOranges posted:

To me Ardyn is basically 'more confusing Seymour'. He's such an obvious villain as soon as he first appears, except his motives are a complete enigma til the end of the game and even then I'm not chomping at the bit to go fight him.

ardyn's the rare example of a final fantasy villain whose motive isn't some vague nihilist-existential killing spree so much as "i hate you, you the protagonist, you personally and specifically, and i will endeavor for the rest of my days to make you as miserable as possible"

of course there's the other stuff with his claims to the throne and his grudge against the crystal but it's all just a veneer on his seething hate for noctis' bloodline and noctis in particular

imo it makes his character a lot more focused and coherent even if the rushed plot still obfuscates it

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
it also definitely wasn't made that way because of time or budget constraints, because tabata never met a protagonist he didn't want to kill

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
hey what's worse than the costlemark cube maze

your pc crashing during the costlemark cube maze

turned all my graphics settings on Low and listened to those cubes grinding while i imagined my VRAM steadily ticking up like a bomb's timer in reverse

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the extra insomnia content in FFXV is needlessly intrusive busywork and I wish it hadn’t been added

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

Yeah it definitely hits a giant wall before the last big area. The photo quests were dumb finnicky and I didnt really need the Bro specific items since I don't use the character switch skill.

Speaking of XV, i know it's not the director's VsXIII vision, but I really really loved that game. Probably my best experience since I first rented FFII

otoh the new battles against the corrupted kings were aces, The Mystic was better than the actual last boss

ending is still excellent as well, i went back into this after finishing KH3 and it was like night and day

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
ardyn is a great villain but he's also had more screentime than any other side character and i'm really not interested in getting the fine details of his backstory when the general summary worked well enough

i would have preferred aranea, especially because her episode would've taken place when all hell broke loose in the empire

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I for one am glad people chose to see the story of the cool interesting and pitiable main antagonist over this threads boring waifu.

you said that last time and it’s still wrong

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I kind of hate the Ardyn DLC already because the prologue lays the blame for his plight on his rear end in a top hat brother, which turns it from a story of arbitrary cosmic injustice to something far more prosaic

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

Was the scourge something that happened from the celestial war? The late game makes it seem entirely biological and weird.

the scourge was started in the distant past by Ifrit out of his anger for a now-derelict human empire that abandoned the gods, ardyn and the nifs just cranked it up into high gear

it does have a biological basis but that's just typical "intersection of magic and science" stuff

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
what's motomu toriyama doing these days

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the big names who worked on FF7 are now either senile or Nomura

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

lobster22221 posted:

I'm sorry, is that a skirt with a second skirt underneath? WAT

people had some difficulty coming to terms with dirge of cerberus’ designs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
selphie's three character traits are a) perky, b) trains, and c) a barely-concealed proclivity for hideous violence