Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beaumains
Aug 8, 2007
HURFDURF scary stories are dumb, I'm so cool i lack even the rudimentary analytical abilities to decipher basic themes and archetypes, anything without fast cars and explosions is for babbies, heh im so goddamn tough and grown up :smug:

I feel like high Agility kinda ironically shines when no other party members are around to slow you down with their own turns. But yeah, I read your LPs, and I'm pleasantly surprised to find a little challenge run update hidden in this thread. Please post how it winds up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beaumains
Aug 8, 2007
HURFDURF scary stories are dumb, I'm so cool i lack even the rudimentary analytical abilities to decipher basic themes and archetypes, anything without fast cars and explosions is for babbies, heh im so goddamn tough and grown up :smug:

Mega64 posted:

You have to be able to equip a rod to use it, apparently. Bought one at Baron, didn't work for Cecil.

No matter, as a combination of actually moving to the front row and throwing a Spider's Silk to cancel out Haste let Haste + Berserk work. That's one major obstacle down for now, at least.

It's been years since I've done this challenge, but basically you need to weigh all factors and use the proper combination of items, equipment, and row positioning to get through. Every enemy can be beaten with the right tactics.

Don't throw away or sell anything. IIRC, even the Prisoner shirt gives immunity to sleep and that's basically required to beat a Golem enemy that inflicts sleep on every attack (and who guards the Blood Sword, I think, which is extremely important to get). Stuff like that.

But yeah, with Trap Doors you'll just have to level to 57 or so and use the Avenger sword. Not much getting around it.

Edit: I'll also say I remember a doll enemy in the Tower of Zot dropping items that cast Blink. I remember the drop rate being OK. You may want to get some of these.

Beaumains fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jul 9, 2012

Beaumains
Aug 8, 2007
Oh, hey, Mega, make sure to save Hourglasses to get through the Marlboros guarding the Avenger. I really don't think there's any other way through them. And you really don't want to miss that sword, as I'm sure you remember from the LP. And don't forget the Magemasher does x4 damage to "mages" and Cecil can equip knives... I had quite a few moments where I prevailed/saved resources by utilizing the fact that Cecil can equip a whole bunch of stuff. Outfitting him with Edge's gear that just boosts Str and Agi is (situationally) a great idea.

Along those lines, one of the Ogre enemies rarely drops Giant Gloves which give +10 Str. Pretty helpful.

Oh, and Gaia Gear from Mysidia protects against Stone if you haven't fought the Wind Fiend yet. http://guides.gamercorner.net/ffiv/armors/gaia-gear

I'm not sure how reliable that site is, but I do remember having found something to protect vs stone in that fight. Again... Cecil can equip lots of stuff, this has surprising applications

Edit: also now that I think about it.. maybe 70 is more where you need to be to beat the Trap Doors... in any case the key is the Avenger and any Str/Agi boosting items you can get at that point

Beaumains fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Jul 10, 2012

Beaumains
Aug 8, 2007

Mega64 posted:

I like doing solo challenges. They require much less grinding for items or whatever than other challenges, plus they usually aren't as reliant on luck for the more bullshit battles. Hell, there are times where the game just stops being challenging and becomes even easier, only for you to hit a brick wall again. Some bosses become much more difficult, some become a joke because you have the EXP of four/five people.

Now if only I could find the will to finish them.

:colbert: How's that solo Cecil challenge coming, mister?

Harlock posted:

Are there any hacks/patches/etc for FFVI worth using in a new playthrough?

Look up something called Eviltype. Me and a friend (btw FF6 is 2player) went through it, and it's actually pretty awesome. Standard bugfixes plus across the board difficulty rebalancing. Some character rebalancing too, like Cyan's SwordTechs getting boosts. Unlike what the title may suggest, it's not a dumb "grind forever to stand a chance" type of mod. You can clear everything just fine without doing anymore grinding than grabbing all the treasures in an area without running away too much. Basically imagine FF6 suddenly being slightly harder than FF5 sans Chemist-type poo poo and that's what you get.

Beaumains
Aug 8, 2007

Loving Life Partner posted:

Uhh I was 9 the first time I played it, sorry? :shobon:

I was just a little older and the main thing that sticks out in my memory is realizing my dude with the most HP suddenly had, like, twice as much HP. I was pretty pro-paladin after that.

In Mega64's old FF4 LP, we noticed the game had lots of little subtle game mechanics stuff that reinforced the story's themes. That's one example of it I guess.

Still would've been cool to go the rest of the game as a dark knight though.

Beaumains fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Sep 17, 2012

Beaumains
Aug 8, 2007
Cecilchat

I'm totally down with the Paladinness but one thing I sure missed was the final Dark Knight sword that inflicted instant death. I held on to that thing the whole game, hoping some new character would be able to use it again. I remember being sorely disappointed when Edge couldn't even throw it.

Someone should make a terrible, terrible fanfic or RPGMaker game about how FF4 would turn out if Cecil failed the Mt Ordeals test and kept on his quest anyway. It couldn't be worse than After Years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beaumains
Aug 8, 2007

Mega64 posted:

You go to this rock, and some voice suddenly starts talking and calls you son. Then you have to beat your dark side by defending, because a Paladin protects his allies because that's the good thing to do. After doing this, Cecil learns to embrace the light side and is reborn as a Paladin.

I think I said this during your LP, but hell I'll say it again cuz why not. I always thought the point of Cecil not attacking his Dark Knight self was that it's a gesture of self-forgiveness. He has a scene or two where he hates on himself for all that murdering-innocent-mages stuff and this seems like the conclusion to that (he never doubts himself like that again for one thing).

Also, forgiveness even for those who have committed atrocities, specifically FROM Cecil, is kind of a theme in the game, and it starts at Mt. Ordeals with him forgiving himself and goes on to Kain and then even to Golbez. The final boss is even a literal embodiment of hate, so having the Chosen Guy To Kick Its rear end be defined by his ability to forgive is subtly appropriate.

But uh, yeah. It's deep poo poo, man :v: