Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I wanted to try Final Fantasy 4 for the first time, is the Complete Collection that's on the PS Vita a good version to try?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

So I guess everyone here hates Tidus? I liked him. He started out as whiny or whatever(although, I mean having your entire city destroyed in a flood and being sent to what seems like an alternate world is pretty stressing), I thought he developed into a pretty good character.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

His Japanese voice actor is awful and his English voice actor did a pretty bad job despite doing reasonably well elsewhere. It's kind of hard to get past that in the first fully voice acted game.

I can see that. I find FFX's (english) voice acting a lot more tolerable than most, in fact I think some of it like Jecht and Auron were pretty good.

I've been playing FF4 for the first time this past week. I've really liked it, I thought I might not be able to get into it because of its age but that hasn't been a problem. The story might be a little basic at points today, but it deals with some pretty deep stuff for an SNES RPG. The combat is fine too, on regular settings the ATB feels faster than FF6's did. It also feels like I'm flying through the game, 13 hours in and I've beaten Rubicante. But I have no idea how far I'm actually am from the end.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Beat Final Fantasy IV yesterday. Really liked it, everything pretty much holds up except for the prevalence of random encounters and ambushes/back attacks. That stuff got annoying. It was pretty easy to, even for a FF game. But I hear that I got that "easy" version, and the DS game is the real challenge.

I'm interesting in trying The After Years, but I also see there's this Interlude thing too. I don't think I have ever heard anyone talk about it before, what is it?

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Wow, Final Fantasy IV Interlude may have been the biggest waste of 3 hours I've seen. Nothing happened except, like, maybe two important things? The rest was all needless filler where they just shoveled in reused assets from IV. Even the final boss is cheaply done, if not slightly interesting.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I think the only Final Fantasy game that I haven't seen people in this topic hate is 5.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Yeah I'm playing through FF5 for the first time, and comparing it to the last FF game I played (4) the plot and characters aren't nearly as good as 4's (not that 4's is amazing, but I did enjoy it), but the job system makes the gameplay more compelling.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I'm having a lot of fun trying out the various jobs in FF5. But, are there any jobs (I'm up to the third set of them, so the newest ones I have are geomancers/beastmasters/ninja) that aren't worth the time at all?

EDIT: Oh, and any other random tips/things to look out for would be nice too.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Yeah, I've been using geomancer right and often it will do some good damage, but then it will roll something like quicksand and miss. As for berserker, I used it enough to give Bartz bersek, I can see how they could be tough to use but I am interested to see what they're abilities are. They cost so much ABP that they HAVE to be good!

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

No matter what job I have Galuf as, I usually pair it with barehanded. It just 'feels' right.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Comparing the two final fantasy games I just played/am playing right now, IV a V, IV might have a grander plot but I think I might like the tighter cast of V better. And as far as villains go, at least you see Exdeath a lot more than Golbez and from what I understand Exdeath won't be usurped by THE REAL EVIL PULLING THE STRINGS at the end.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I think I pretty much finished Final Fantasy V. Beat the game (actually defeated Omega and Shinryu before getting to Exdeath), got through the sealed temple and beat all the secret bosses in there. I usually don't do a ton of the extra post-game, but I just really liked playing FFV. I enjoyed the combat and the job system was a lot of fun to play around with.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

So I picked up Dissidia 012 after beating FF4 and 5, thinking with a fuller picture of the series I would have a better appreciation for the fan service game. I played the original Dissidia a bit and liked it well enough, but I don't know how to feel about this one. The combat is fine, I like that mostly. I unlocked and tried to play as Exdeath, which went horribly. Really, it's the other stuff I don't like. The fan service just doesn't deliver. I've only played a little, but everyone has lost their memory? And everyone has already met up and knows each other? Maybe I should have played the prologus thing, it feels like the story mode starts halfway through.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Yeah, I tried to get into FFXI recently for that very reason. It was a huge waste of time, don't bother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I thought Theatrhythm was an awesome game :shrug: