Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Rolling Start posted:

Maybe it'll be about Versus XIII.

Confirmed: SE renames Versus XIII to FF XIII-3, now starring Lightning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
Told you guys it was nothing to get excited over. I learned my lesson years ago with SE. :eng101:

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Himuro posted:

Guys, like Chrono Trigger ds, this is an obvious test to see if there is "interest" in a sequel.

And much like Chrono Trigger ds this will likely fail to gain that interest. But anyone who wants a sequel should buy this when it drops. Speak with your money.

I'll speak with my money when I see a Kickstarter for TWEWY 2. :colbert:

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

They seriously think cellphones are just another NDS/PSP, don't they?

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Cake Attack posted:

If you watch the trailer your partner's on the bottom screen and all the two character control stuff (Shiki's ESP cards, etc.) are gone. Personally, I'm betting your partner is an AI fighter now.

I'm actually OK with this, it was impossible to control both screens at once. The best you could do was mash the d-pad and hope for the best.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Dragonatrix posted:

They aren't.

Now, since there was a plot relevant reason for having 2 screens originally how they rationalise that will be... interesting, to say the least. Y'know, assuming they even try to.

Your partners now act like pins? That's not better at all! :doh:

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Bland posted:

(and meet the super secret ending requirements or whatever).

Shades of Kingdom Hearts in my TWEWY? :frogout:

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Cardboard Fox posted:

Is Lightning actually a popular character with the fans back home or something? It seems they're putting her in every new game they release. Do people actually think she's a good character? I mean, I've known grapefruits with more personality.

It doesn't matter, SE wanted to have 10 years of XIII even before they were done making the first game. :eng99:

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

AnInsomniac posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zks5W-XlghU

I'm sure this is not confirmed at all. But boy do I want to believe.

You know what I hated the most in XIII? The loving shaky cam in every action scene. Stop it SE, I can't see crap. Seriously.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
I named the MC in DQ8 Goku because, well, you can tell why. :downs:

Speaking of bad character designers, I like Nomura's monsters a lot, but his characters leave a lot to be desired. A lot.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
"Life is short! Bury! Steady Sword!"

Only quote I miss.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
They're trying to figure out how to render more belts.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

CarpiliusCoralinus posted:

And people say that Toriyama's characters all look alike...

I have no idea what you're talking ab

Well now!

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
As we all know, every game is the worst game.

Except V. No one really says bad things about it. :shobon:

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

The White Dragon posted:

I dunno, barring Black Frost and the insane mascot chick, that game was pretty much :smith::smith::smith::smith::smithicide: the entire fuckin' way. Everything else took itself way too seriously (or was annoying anime-cute: not only is "Yoohoo" the most retarded-sounding nickname I've ever heard, but what well-adjusted person keeps doing that every single time they refer to that character?), from the cult to your cousin to the dad and the military police to even the goddamn pop starlet. It's like, they had what, six faces for each character? But you saw the :( one 90% of the time on all of them.

I hated that part in VI when I was forced to choose between Law/Neutral/Chaos. My game was glitched and always seemed to pick Chaos for me. :downs:

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Momomo posted:

I like Mother 3 too, but I feel it went way too far with the tragedy. Pokey used to just be an rear end in a top hat that lived next door, now he's an evil overlord that has killed countless people. It's like finding out Gary Oak became Hitler.

This should be called "pulling a Chrono Cross." :eng101:

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Arrrthritis posted:

I'm thinking of tackling another one of these played-but-haven't beaten Final Fantasies on soon. Right now I'm torn between VII and IX. I would appreciate any suggestions as to which one would be a better transition.

If you want more VI, go for IX.

If you want something different, go for VII.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Pesky Splinter posted:

Cuckoo! cuckoo! cuckoo! :supaburn:

I'm starting to suspect that Nomura completely forgot he had to design Ventus, and right before the meeting, he just grabbed the first promo art from KH2 that he had lying around.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Sex_Ferguson posted:

FFIX seriously has one of the best soundtracks in the series, bar none. There's so many great songs in it and Kuja's got one of the best bad guy battle themes in the series.

Just listen to how amazing it is.

I prefer the one that plays at the Desert Palace.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCGmQ_adlvA

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Stoat posted:

Chrono Trigger / Cross and Final Fantasy are all good and well, but the best RPG soundtrack of the last few years is NieR's. This is a good example although the entire thing is solid.

Nope, you mean this is a good example.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Ross posted:

I agree re: the story of FF Tactics. It is a good one but they sort of start you in the middle and it takes a while (or a couple play-throughs) to figure out who is who on whose side and how they are related to various other characters and who is backstabbing who.

It's like Game of Thrones, but fun! :)

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Pesky Splinter posted:

I was going through some of FFXIV's soundtrack on youtube...and...well...I found this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpftrjYCzpA

Kupo.

:suspense:

Wow. This is taken straight out of Willy Wonka. :psyduck:

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Boten Anna posted:

Thought it had a bit more of a Nightmare Before Christmas vibe, myself.

Yeah, This is Halloween. It's just that the moogles remind me more of the Oompa Loompas. :downs:

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
By the way, what's up with SE and their unwarranted hate for Android devices? :mad:

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Belzac posted:

I'm ok with the anime gestures and weird stuff the character does (particularly when you're first introduced to her) it's just the loving voice. I can't even put my finger on exactly why it hurts but it sounds so unnatural.

I liked Vanille's voice five bazillion times more than Lightning's. Why does she always have to sound the same, dear God.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
So, I'm playing FFXIII-2 for the first time and I just got through chapter 4. Now, my question is: who the hell thought it'd be a good idea to copy Chrono Cross' plot? :psyduck:

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Dross posted:

And what's wrong with that? :colbert:

Aside from the fact that I was already starting to get confused thanks to the disjointed narrative... nothing at all. :(

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Mister Roboto posted:

I can't possibly see Square actually creating a completely fake battle engine trailer, fake hub and all; what would be the point? The CGIs would be enough to make a good trailer.

Eh, it wouldn't be the first time they do that, you know.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
So, I finished FF XIII-2.

Jesus Christ SE, why couldn't you do this the first time around? I can't believe how good it is (considering it's a sequel and all). Definitely want to plat it eventually.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

That loving Sned posted:

Could you please explain the game's plot, without referencing the Final Fantasy Wiki?

I'll admit beforehand that I didn't get half of the stuff they were throwing at me, but here it goes:

At the end of XIII, Lightning and crew were supposed to be turned into Cieth, but the goddess intervened and saved them in the end. This, for some reason, broke the timeline, creating endless paradoxes at every point in time. Lightning got sucked into Valhalla, which I guess is the equivalent of the End of Time from CT, except that the goddess is supposed to live there. She finds out that Caius wants to destroy the timeline/the goddess/bring down Cocoon, so she sends Noel to find Serah so they can both stop him. Fastforward to the end of the game, Caius wanted to destroy everything so that Yeul would stop dying for five minutes. Or maybe because he wanted Noel to finally kill him and take his place. But that also meant that the goddess would die because... yeah. I don't know. All I know is that half of the game's plot would be solved in two minutes if people would stop insisting on keeping Cocoon afloat and just lived on the ground.

So maybe I understood way less than I thought I did at first. Still, it was good to have a proper RPG with XIII's battle system, that's why I mainly liked the game, honestly.

Serah's outfit is no worse than most JRPG heroine's, unless you bought some of her DLC ones. I never felt overpowered, and I did run out of wild artifacts when I needed those cores. I just used a guide at that point because I couldn't even find the cores once I could open enough gates.

My only complain would be that every "alternate" zone is virtually the same. They could've tried to make them way more different from each other, like the three Academia's. Other than that, it's fun. :)

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

That loving Sned posted:

The initial screenshots of FFXIII suggested that you'd add commands to the ATB, and they'd be continuously carried out by Lightning, like in The Sims.

I have to say that locking the entire FFXIII cast in a bathroom and then removing the doors would've improved the game tremendously.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

PhilippAchtel posted:

X has the best party dynamic of any of the games in the series. Each character has an important role to play in both the story and in battle. They all have their own compelling back story, and each works to drive the story forward in their own way. X really has an organic feeling that grows out of the differences and perspectives of each of the main seven.

Brilliant game, and it surprises me how far XIII misses the mark given how inspired it was by X.

Lulu and Blue XIII were completely worthless, storywise. They were only there to appease the teenage boys demographic... and furries I guess.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Pesky Splinter posted:

I think Cloud's EU personality started earlier than DOC, right in a little game called, Kingdom Hearts.

He's brooding, and mopes and is generally kinda sullen because he can't find someone.

I thought he was broody because he looked like an amalgam between him and Vincent. :saddowns:

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Yes you can but don't bother, it's pointless.

Unless you're fighting Ultros. :downs:

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

GreenBuckanneer posted:

at least it looks even better and runs at 1080p now

No it doesn't according to the back of my box. Also my own eyes.

edit: no wait, it actually does say 1080p... but I can't get it to run at that resolution, unlike vanilla FFXIII. Oh well.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
By the way, whoever did the voice for the guardian thing at the coliseum in FFXIII-2 is dreamy. I could listen to his voice all day long. :allears:

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Polite Tim posted:

You'll either enjoy the ending or be incredibly hosed off with it. But you get to go back and do other endings afterwards and some of them are awesome Timecop Snow

God drat do I wish they'd make a game based on that ending.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

GreenBuckanneer posted:

So I beat FF13-2.

The ending sucks.

It's the Empire Strikes Back of the soon-to-be trilogy, so the bad guys are supposed to win this one. V:shobon:V

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Griever posted:

I'm playing through XIII-2 at the moment and I am loving it so far, but I've yet to see the supposedly terrible ending.

The ending isn't terrible, it's just sequel bait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

1st AD posted:

Square is so loving retarded sometimes it's infuriating. Why don't they just license somebody's engine and save a buttload of time and money on development? Every time there's a new platform coming they seem to sink so many resources into a proprietary engine that nobody else ever uses.

You know, if you bother to make a fancy new engine, you could at least try to use it for more than two games total (XIII and XIII-2). But nope! Way to go, Squeenix. :eng99: