Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Was that the guy who looked like Sepiroth? I doubt he was very interesting because that's literally all I can remember about him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Alright I'm signed up and ready to go, LET'S DO THIS MAN

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

What is berserker risk? Is that just not taking berserker out of the random drawing?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Also pretend you're 12 years old again.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

You can't control them at all. They do nothing but auto-attack until either they're dead or the enemy is dead. They can't take advantage of any active melee skills from other classes like Rapid Fire or Spellblade. They have terrible agility, and on top of that there's a bug that makes them even slower in battle. On paper, they kind of look good because berserk status increases damage, and axes ignore enemy defense, but in practice they're just terrible.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

It also means that unless you get super-duper lucky, you're not going to be able to set up either of the two standard game breakers. And since you're not allowed to use freelancers or mimes, you're even more limited in setting them up. You could have a Spellblade with Rapid Fire, but not Dual Wield. You could have a Black Mage with X-Magic, but you'd be missing Time Magic for Quick.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

So you can do 80,000 damage in a turn.

And if you have a mime dual-wielding daggers with !Spellblade, !Time, and !RapidFire, you can do all that on the very first turn.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Super Ninja Fish posted:

Disc 2 was the best part. It got rid of that boring mediocre gameplay for the most part.

Disc 2 was great for the boss music that had a dude rapping about choppin' beans.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

FJF Ultra Hard Mode: Berserker/Mime/Oracle/Necromancer

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Aww yeah let's do this.

:whatup:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The White Dragon posted:

As long as you're using the GBA version, this is of course super easy.

Do tell.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

^^thanks!

Oh snap, I just got time mage for my second job after black mage. This is going to be a walk in the park.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Made it out of Karnak with 3 minutes to spare AND I looted all the treasure. All of it. YEAH!!!

e: And my fire job is Ranger. Holy poo poo easy mode.

e2: hahaha I just wandered into the Library at level 15 :suicide:

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jun 16, 2012

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Black Mage/Time Mage/Ranger/Samurai

Not bad at all!

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Just unlocked my first set of legendaries (and pretty much the only ones I'll need), I'd say things are coming along quite nicely.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Just got Meteor, so it's pretty much all over from here. I think I might even skip the 4th tablet dungeon because there's nothing I could possibly want from there.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

arrgghhhblll

That was painful.

But on the bright side, I skipped Necrophobe, so Gilgamesh is still alive out there... somewhere... :unsmith:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Schwartzcough posted:

Can't verify you were using the right jobs. Do it again.

I cast Return at least 200 times. :fuckoff:

Also here's a protip for anyone having trouble with NeoExdeath. Contrary to popular belief, only ONE part can cast Almagest, at least at the beginning. It's this guy:

Also, he's vulnerable to petrification.

HOWEVER! Once you get all but one parts down, the last part standing will start taking double turns AND will be able to do everything that the other parts can.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Actually what I did because I forgot the magic lamp was safe the top and middle parts for last, and beat them down evenly with Firaga and Zeninage. The back part casts a lot of nasty magic which I have almost no defense for, so I wanted it out of the way ASAP. The other two parts are pretty much just physicals and Grand Cross.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Also you know what? I really wish I had a Geomancer in my party, because damage floors are loving brutal. Like ten steps and you're down to 1 HP, and you can still get random encounters on them. I went through 99 hi-potions in the 3rd tablet dungeon.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Archaeoavis was a pain in the dick for me because I forgot his second form absorbed all elements. I had BM/TM/Ranger, so my only damage was the single ranger I had.

The ranger was pretty cool because I found out that !Animals is really useful, though unreliable when you have no other healing.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

My suggestion is to put everyone in the back row and heal up every time you attack and he counters. It's going to be long and painful, but that's the name of the game. At least you can steal mythril daggers from Y-BURNS wyverns.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The sad thing about rods is that for almost every class that can use them, you don't really need to.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Evil Eagle posted:

YES! Full party healing, finally! Vampire and drain spellblade are alright but it's nice to have an honest to goodness healing spell after ten hours.

How did you manage this without a beastmaster?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I was gonna say, how did he manage THAT without a dancer?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

ShadeofDante posted:

Well I hit the final wall.

My team of Blue/Berserk/Beast/Dragoon went relatively smoothly through the Void, skipped Necromorph because gently caress that, and then got my face stomped in hard by Neo Exdeath. His first form wasn't even a challenge, just able to keep everyone healed with White Wind while my Berserker/Dragoon do good damage.

But Ahgrest or whatever that move Neo Exdeath does... there's no real way to prepare for that outside of grinding isn't there? I'm sitting at L37 on everyone and felt that would've been fine for completing the challenge. :sigh:

If you've got Mighty Guard (and you should since you have a beastmaster) you should easily be able to survive Almagest.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The biggest problem with the Brave Blade is it can be equipped by a grand total of two classes, counting freelancers.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Ragequit posted:

Breaking from the FFV Fiesta chat - there was an update in the whole http://www.finalfantastyviipc.com domain registered to Square Enix in the past day. This was caught briefly by several people (and Google cache) before the site locked down requiring login credentials:

Cloud saves? He couldn't save Aeris.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Fungah! posted:

I, uh, don't think that's love, dude.

Yeah that's pretty terrible unless you're doing hard mode, because you've got no other magic to pair with !X-Magic. I guess enjoy casting level 2 spells twice?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Evil Fluffy posted:

I was thinking, since I have Holy/Flare and 2 tablets, is there any reason I shouldn't just head to the Void and murder ExDeath? Since my party is White Mage/White Mage/Black Mage/Geomancer I can't think of anything else I'd need. Unless the Void lets me use Earthquake and Cave In I'm not even sure that the Earth Bell is worth using on my Geomancer since it only boosts earth-based damage and attacking to get the chance at using quake seems like less of a chance than triggering it via geomancy.

My party was BM/TM/Ranger/Samurai, and I skipped the 4th tablet dungeon because it didn't have anything I wanted. To be honest, I probably could have skipped all but the first tablet dungeon because I only needed three of the legendary weapons, and Flare and Meteor really aren't that great of spells.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Or better yet, put !Throw on your white mage since he'll be really lacking for multi-target damage, and damage at all for most of the game.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Yes, and that is a perfectly valid strategy.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

TurnipFritter posted:

I'm trying to decide if I really want Holy and Flare or not. I'm not even sure how I'd have to go about fighting Omniscient with Thief/Mystic Knight/Geomancer/Samurai. Like... !Gaia and hope for the best? Constant Dark Lamp deployment? Wait until he runs out of MP and then use physical attacks?

Keep in mind that you need to complete Fork Tower in order to access the 3rd and 4th tablet dungeons anyway. But yeah, just silence him.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

They have some offensive mixes as well that I can't remember off the top of my head.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Mrs. Badcrumble posted:

Oh man that would be the best.

There is a patch for the PSX version that has the WOTL translation plus the spell quotes...

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Idioteque Dance posted:

I'm just picking up my game of FF5 after several months, this should be a good place to ask since you've all just beat it. I have the airship in world 3 and I'm about to descend into where library of the ancients was. I can't remember what came before this at all - are there any sidequests or summons to get before I go there? I notice its a point of no return of sorts and I think I'm a little underlevelled anyway.

You can hypothetically go to the final dungeon right now, but yeah you'd be pretty underleveled and you probably won't have any of the top-level skills yet. Also, there actually is no point of no return, since you can teleport out of the dungeon whenever you want to.

First things first, go to Faris's pirate hideout where you can get an awesome wind-based summon. Equip an Air Knife on your summoner and it will be stronger than Bahamut at half the cost.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Oh wait Hard mode is wrong, it's supposed to only give you jobs you could have at that point right? Oops, well easy fix

It's any four from crystals you've already reached, so what you have here wouldn't work. You'll always have at least one wind job on hard mode.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Yeah I realized this later. Seems kinda flawed as a lot of the wind jobs are simple but useful, like I'm pretty sure a Knight is better than a Dragoon at any point of the game and "Hard" mode can give you an easier party a lot of the time.

Yeah but the Oracle is a lovely job otherwise :v: it would actually make a four job fiesta hard if you could somehow start with it.

On the other hand it can give you a lot harder party like one monk and three berserkers :getin:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Happy Blue Cow posted:

Weak Wind Jobs: Freelancer, Monk, Thief
Weak Water Jobs: Berserker, Red Mage, Time Mage
Weak Fire Jobs: Beastmaster, Geomancer
Weak Earth Jobs: Dragoon, Dancer
[/list]

Not sure why you consider Time Mages weak, considering all the awesome spells in time magic. !Time is good to slap on literally every other class due to Quick. Also including freelancer defeats the purpose of the challenge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I rereg'd for the Fiesta, and my first three jobs are Knight, Berserker, Ninja. Unless I get Chemist for the fourth one, this is going to be rough.