Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I recently started to replay FF3 on my DS after sort of giving up on it very early on a few years back, because the gameplay was really dated compared to the RPGs of today so I put it down. I had a moment of realization the reason why I didn't like the old FF games was because I hated the grindy nature of them (I played FF4 on ps1 and totally gave up).

Anyways I started to play FF3 again and something totally clicked and now I'm hooked, its a pretty fun game. I'm going to play FFIV, V, and VI after since I never played those much either. For FFIV is the DS version any good? Reminds me of FF3 but way overhauled. Also I can't seem to find my psp so that Complete Works is a no go for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Alright I just beat FF3 on my DS and it was a lot of fun, even though it was really light on the story side. I had a lot of fun with the job system and using different jobs before settling on my final team. I just purchased IV for the DS today, anything I need to know before I dive in?

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Mega64 posted:

Giving augments to characters who leave your party (preferably crappy augments, of course) will let you gain more useful augments. Of course, if you want to use a guide to look that up, it means spoiling all the characters who leave your party at some point. Also, some augments pop up in really obscure locations after beating certain major bosses, and others are just hard as hell to find. There's one you get from 100% map completion, and there's one dungeon where you can't get 100% the first time, as you enter the same dungeon later but cover a different area instead. The fun part is that you can't go back to the first area instead, so there's a room or two where if you accidentally miss a little piece of the map, you've missed out on that augment for the entire game. Also, you can only use New Game + twice for some reason.

Other than that, that's pretty much it. All the major bullshit missable stuff in the DS version stems completely from the pain-in-the-rear end augments, which is a shame because it's a decent system that breathes new life to an old gameplay system. If only they weren't such a pain in the rear end to get.

Alternatively, just cheat yourself in all the augments if possible. It might wreck balance a bit, but then you could not use the more powerful ones until the game starts kicking your butt. At least you won't have to deal with obscure unmissable crap.

Yeah I don't mind getting spoiled who leaves or what really if I already know a lot of ff4's plot points and maybe a twist or something. I heard the difficulty on this one is just like the japanese version of the original? If yes then I'm totally going to get these missable augments.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I'm so stoked for FF15 you guys have no idea. Its awesome to be excited about a final fantasy again.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Just saw the battle trailer and oh my god. Hype levels are going through the goddamn roof right now. This just looks loving mind blowing, seriously Square hit it out of the park.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Playing through FF4 ds and goddamn this game is hard. No joke the later random battles pretty much have to be treated like boss battles. This game is intense. Got to the lunar subterrain and just got the Ragnarok. Still it's good I like it a lot. I didn't like ff4 actually when I played it back on the ps1.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Oh its gonna look gross just like FF5 and the other releases they put out on iOS. :sigh:

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Or you know, stop calling 13 the worst when that's about one of the most untrue statements to be made in relation to Final Fantasy.

In the mainline Final Fantasy's I would put 13 up there with 2 in terms of bad FFs. At least that is what I think but my friends loving love 13 for who the gently caress knows what reason.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Would you call the game good ImpAtom? How are the gameplay changes, I heard some negative things from the demo, but other than that haven't heard almost anything about this game (also my console died recently so I won't be playing this anytime soon).

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Please kill me now

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Please kill me now

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
what

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
HAHAHAHA WHAT THE gently caress IS HAPPENING

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
lmao these people in the audience

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I have no idea what even happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
A close friend of mine gifted me FF14 and its expansion on Christmas and I hate to say it but this is the best final fantasy, or at least the FF I've enjoyed the most since FF10 and FF10-2. Obviously it took Square two separate tries to make this game, but it paid off for them so well. I loving hate MMOs. I never could get into WoW, just knowing it was this grind and ultimately you're experiencing a story in a very weird manner. I have my own issues with FF14 such as the loot system, not being able to set up way points on the map, and some pretty boring quest lines especially in the early game. BUT the one thing that did keep my attention was the effort they put into actually being able to tell a story in that vein of Final Fantasies before.

Its so self aware and I love that they take advantage of all of their history on this game. Its just blatant flat out fan service, but handled with care. The story isn't really amazing, but its a goddamn work of art compared to the poo poo that Final Fantasy has been since probably 10 where that was at least something that was coherent. As a fan growing up with this series its been so hard to play each subsequent entry and just being so far up its own rear end. I can't remember poo poo about anything that happened from 10-2 but the game was fun at least. FF 12 also kinda sorta made sense at the beginning but got too complicated (and boring) to follow. FF 13 and its sequels make absolutely zero sense at all, not too mention game play wise 13 is probably the worst in the loving series, it was so atrocious. I know 15 has problems since I've watched my roommate play a good deal of it, but I'm willing to give it a chance since it does seem to have heart and just passion in the project in general.

Anyway I just wanted to write about how much FF14 loving rules and is a bunch of fun to play despite some grindy aspects to it (its an MMO, it is what it is).