Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Mewt had the drunk dad and the dead mom. Marche didn't really have anything he wanted in the fantasy world, thus his mission to murder his friend's mom and recripple his brother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Krad posted:

I thought the game showed not-Ramza's dad as a bum or someone who didn't have a real job or something like that during the ending.

Marche really didn't have any good arguments for returning to the real world other than being a total jerk to everyone, did he?

We never see Marche's dad during the game. We do see Mewt's dad being a bum in the beginning, who gets a job during the ending thanks to his Judge experience boosting his resume or whatever.

Marche didn't really have any reason to stay there, though he did learn a valuable lesson in beating the poo poo out of bullies.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

CharismaticHorsey posted:

What was up with that Mario Party section? That wasn't even an evaluation of the fanbase. It was just the author bitching about Mario Party.

It's people like him who tarnish the good name of the competitive Mario Party scene.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Eggie posted:

On FFTA's morality, I'll argue that Marche was justified in wanting to destroy Ivalice. Who knows what happened to all those St. Ivalice citizens when the town was put under an enchantment that transformed Marche's world. I haven't played the game in awhile but I'm guessing many people were transformed and brainwashed to create the new Ivalice world. It's not fair that a number of people have to have their existences rewritten just so some young boy can get his mother back.

Although flawed, I found the plot of FFTA a lot more interesting than most other Final Fantasy games.

The main problem with the story is that it's not very well-written. They don't really reinforce a strong incentive not to stay in this world, and it feels more like Marche is trying to get people out because it's what he's supposed to do, rather than because it's dangerous escapism and that they're abandoning everyone they know and love and all that stuff. Granted, the story itself is a bit low-effort, but it could've worked if better written.

At least then it wouldn't lead to a lot of people claiming Marche as the villain of the story in an attempt to salvage something interesting out of FFTA's story.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Allarion posted:

Technically the first one is in there, but it will never come up in rotations and is only available as a law card, with the exception of Dmg to animals, but anti-law cards or just moving around the map to change the law can mitigate that. DMG > 100 doesn't exist in FFTA1 though, as well as the other luck based laws that FFTA2 added, like knockbacks or missing an attack, and you can't move around the map to have the laws shift in your favor.

I thought the DMG > x laws were in the Japanese version, while for the U.S. version they were cut because they figured out those were actually pretty lovely laws even for this game.

So it makes even less sense that they brought them back for FFTA2.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Guess I'm going to have to make a Twitter account for this.

Will be doing hard, of course.

Edit: Signed up for Hard.

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Jun 1, 2012

Mega64
May 23, 2008

You can bet I'll be using fast-forward through the cutscenes.

I've been playing the FF5A Custom Classes mod on my DS Lite and man, do I wish I could speed through the story scenes.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Lilli posted:

All right, I'll go ahead and do a hard mode run. Should be fun when I get white mage, white mage, white mage, white mage.

Huh, whats with all the #berserkerrisk tweets at gilgabot?

"FF5ForFutures posted:

FOR EVERY $10 IN DONATIONS BEFORE THE FIESTA STARTS ONE PLAYER WITH #BERSERKERRISK WILL GET AN EXTRA BERSERKER IN THEIR PARTY! YAY!

So tempted to do this. SO DOING THIS BERSERKER-RISK BOOYAH

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Faux-FF15 looks silly, but then it's (probably) not going to be what the game is about anyway, so I might as well enjoy the beautiful beard physics. Cid deserves the best beard physics for their next remake of FF4. Of course, it really depends on what over-the-top battle system they come up with, as I can tolerate the Adventures of Bahamut in the Middle East if the game's fun.

The phone game looks hideous, but hey, it might be fun. Just wish they used a little of that tech demo money to make the thing look half-decent. It's like they can't make any decent 2D graphics anymore.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Started with 4, favorite is either 3 or 5 (I'm weird like that).

e: Still love 4 though.

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jun 6, 2012

Mega64
May 23, 2008

It's kind of a shame that some people here aren't that high on FF4. The game definitely has its flaws, and the gameplay pales compared to pretty much every FF since, but it's still a strong game in its own right, and I still maintain it has one of the most well-told stories I've seen in a game. People bitch about gameplay mechanics and story not really mixing in most games, yet FF4 did it well constantly. It had some nice, concise character arcs, and it tells a nice story centering on its protagonist. Sure, it's not a particularly strong story, even by 1991 standards, but it's still executed rather well.

There's so many subtle details that show how much work and care went into making a great game experience. Granted, other FF's have done better stories, but there's still the way FF4 tells a simple story effectively that endears it to me.

As for future FF's, while I'm more a fan of the more traditional fantasy settings, I'll go along as long as there's a decent story and some solid gameplay. Hell, even if the game just has a mediocre, inoffensive story like FF5 rather than the clusterfuck of 13-2, I'll take that for another insanely fun game.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

swamp waste posted:

It's funny whenever 10 or 12 are discussed, a bunch of people scramble to go "yeah I empathized way more with the badass mentor character than the gormless fish-out-of-water narrator kid who's just along for the ride." :kiddo: You don't say

To be fair, does anyone really want to identify with a bare-chested street urchin who has brain damage from malnourishment?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Kyrosiris posted:

I wonder if that would be easier or harder with the changes in FF3DS/PSP...

I'd imagine easier. The original didn't give a poo poo about balance, as the first five classes you get all get direct upgrades from later classes except the Red Mage, who still becomes one of the worst jobs available by the time you reach the second crystal. Plus there's a lot of jobs that are just plain useless. Imagine getting Red Mage/Scholar/Bard/Warlock. Yeah, good luck with that.

Though I'm not a fan of the DS's changes that much, they actually did rebalance all the classes so that even the earlier jobs have their use (Black/White Mages can make better use of lower-level spells than their upgraded counterparts, though why the hell you'd use those late in the game is a mystery). Bard in particular goes from a nonsensical ball of uselessness to a crazy buff machine. Of course, the difficulty is knocked up quite a bit, so that can influence things.

So yeah, I don't think a FJF would work nearly as well for FF3. Maybe the DS version, but then that game manages to be even more difficult than the original. It's just too easy to get screwed over badly in either version.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Dragonatrix posted:

Speaking of Berserkers, I just compared the amount of money raised thus far to the amount of players under "Berserker Risk." Everyone under that is guaranteed at least one already, and 4 particularly unlucky individuals are granted 2 of them. I can't say I'm particularly envious of those people.

Imagine being one of those four and then randomly getting a third Berserker.

errrrrgh

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Gammatron 64 posted:

Well, I think a good friend of mine in FFXI probably put it the best: "You know, I don't think this game is all that great. But it's not really the game that's all that important, it's the people you play it with."

I see this reasoning brought up all the time in the Board Game thread, where people justify playing lackluster games because they're having fun with friends. Of course, the counterargument that inevitably comes up is "You can fun with friends doing anything anyway, so why not do it playing a good game?"

Not getting into the quality of FF11/14/MMORPGs in general, but it's kind of a flimsy excuse to justify playing a game because of people when you could have fun playing with similar people in any other game, even really lovely ones.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Gammatron 64 posted:

Oh, I have it, I've just never been able to get through it. For whatever reason, I just kinda loose interest and stop playing every time I try to play through it. (I know, I must have terrible taste in games.) Same thing with FF3 DS, FF12 and 13.

You can't really blame me with FF13, though. I got to the Cid boss fight and said gently caress it.

I can't blame you for FF3DS, either. It takes a great game that has a few major flaws and then increases those flaws and adds a few more on.

quote:

Also, would you count X-2 and After Years as numbered games? Because I couldn't get through those, either. I got bored playing those really quick. It's surprising that I didn't like After Years given how much I love FF4, but I dunno... is it just me or does it feel a little slapped together a little haphazardly? Like, the sprites and menus are different resolutions and it looks bad.

The After Years is nothing more than a ROM hack that has a twelve-year-old's fanfiction attached to it. It can be fun to play if you liked FF4's battle system as they actually enhance the strategy and tactics, plus you get a shitload of characters and combat styles to play with. But it's just so heavily flawed in most other areas, especially the story. It's hard to say what's worse, the fact that the game literally reuses 90% of the scenes from the original game, or the stuff that's actually original. In a way, it's a shittier version of 13-2.

It's the only game I've seen that takes the other-FF boss rush that's in the bonus dungeons of other games, and makes it canon. It also doesn't help that the villain has perhaps the blandest, most nonexistent personality I've seen in a game, or that the game literally doesn't share the plot until five minutes before the final battle.

Trust me, you're not missing much.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Barudak posted:

Maybe if you play Awful Fantasy. Vanilla VI is kinda boring and frankly pretty glitchy.

If anything, the glitches enhance the game.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Hopefully it starts soon so I can actually fit some playtime in today, as I'm busy from noon on.

I know I'll be posting my experiences here and posting videos of boss battles on Youtube, even though they'll be boring for the most part.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

:siren: :siren: :siren:

FF5ForFutures ‏@FF5ForFutures
THE FIESTA IS NOW OPEN! WE ARE STARTING WITH $1001 IN DONATIONS AND @REVENANTKIOKU HAS FINISHED HIS RUN! HAVE FUN EVERYONE!

Edit: @Mega64_LP can now use the Wind Job 'Monk'. Tons of gil with nothing to buy!

Sweet, Barehanded should come in handy for my Berserker(s).

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Jun 16, 2012

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Breezed through with Monks so far, but now I'm stuck at Garula. That guy counters hard as poo poo. Focus isn't working, either.

May have to actually grind for this one.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Grinded to L10, got extra damage, and barely beat Garula.

Second job is Berserker. Now to hope that's the only one I get.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Twitch posted:

Just beat Garula. Pray for me.

edit: Mystic Knight. Would have liked Red Mage for some healing magic, but I'll take what I can get.

edit 2: I have a Mystic Knight with Brawl, and 3 Monks with Barrier. This next section will be awesome.

You should have a fun time with Liquid Flame.

A strategy I picked up while fighting him (spoiled in case you want to form a strategy yourself): Counterattacks don't trigger Liquid Flame's form changes. His hand form only does physical attacks. If you have Chakra, the fight becomes a breeze.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

gently caress Byblos. gently caress him so loving much.

Stuck tackling him with Monks and Berserkers, since my third class is Bard and thus not available yet. gently caress his Wind Slash, gently caress his Protect spell, and gently caress his Drain counter that outpaces my fists.

Guess I'm going to have to grind some more. poo poo.

Progress:

Rolled Monks for my Wind class. Everything was easy as poo poo up to Garula. Had to level to 10 to have enough power to kill him, and even then only half my party lived.

Water Crystal was Berserker. Meh, at least it's out of the way. Go to Karnak, end up having my Monks turtle with Chakra while countering LF's attacks. Counter attacks don't trigger LF's form changes, so he goes down easily. Loot most of Karnak castle, missing Esuna and the other chest up front, escaped with 30 seconds left.

Fire Crystal gives me Bard, so I have to wait until I get to that. Go to the library, have a nice, challenging battle with Ifrit and win. Then I get wiped with L5 Doom. Welp. Then I grind to L16, do it again, and get to Byblos, where his insane evasion and Protect causes my damage output to suck rear end. Then he does stuff like cast Discord, which ruins a character's damage output, and Wind Slash, which deals close to half max HP damage to everyone. And then after losing enough HP he starts countering attacks with Drain, often healing more than what's dealt to him.

And that's where I'm stuck. Guess I'll grind later and hope my Monks can punch him better with a few more levels.

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jun 16, 2012

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Bellmaker posted:

Mega, why must we be fiesta buddies?! Monk/Berserker/Bard :argh:

I love me some bard but hngh

Let me know how you dealt with Ifrit and/or Biblos, I got nothing.

Haha! Ifrit was tough, but manageable. My strategy was simply to let my Berserker wail on him while my Monks Chakra'd up to full health, and punching when full.

Haven't played since yesterday morning, but I can't see any way around Byblos besides grinding. The main problems are getting decent healing and hitting hard and reliably enough to outdo whatever he can recover from Drain. I'm probably going to have to grind to beat him.

Trasson posted:

So I just beat Archeoavis. I get the Earth Crystal jobs, and my final job is...

what

@Trasson_Catols can now use the Water Job 'Berserker'. HAHAHAHAHAHA

A Knight and three Berserkers. This is what I have to work with for the rest of the game. Well, it's better than Thief. Should be quite amusing.

I'm so sorry. Definitely rooting for you to win with that team, though.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Bellmaker posted:

Got Biblos dead at level 18.

Barely. Tips:
-You're better off !Focusing him into oblivion, it's the best way to get around Protect and the Drain shenangians at the end. I had Faris with !Focus and Burtz and Lenna with !Chakra
-Give your Berserker a Main Gauche and Elf Mantle, he dodged about 3-4 potentially painful hits in this fight.
-Give your Berserker...uh...Counter I guess, if he does hit you it's free damage.

This challenge definitely has me on my toes at each encounter. Bring on the Bard!

e: and the Doom Axe :getin:

I'll keep all that in mind, thanks!

It sucks that this started during one of my busier weekends. Luckily, I'll have all day to see if I end up getting Chemist as well.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Finally beat Byblos on my eighth attempt. Ended up getting lucky that I went 1.5 rounds of attacks without him triggering his Protect counter, which means he skipped right to his Drain-counter phase. It was rather easy from there, keeping healed until I finally knocked his rear end down.

Now to finally get Bard.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Dragonatrix posted:

I just got what I can only assume is incredibly lucky with Break, which ended up leading to this:

Hurray. Not quite the first person, either on the forum or in the fiesta, to finish but given what I was dealt I'd say it went surprisingly well.

Congrats on the victory, especially with two Berserkers!

Mini-update for my run: Picked up Bard, finally. Took three attempts with Sandworm. I refuse to actively kill my Berserker, so I have the Sandworm do it for me (eventually). Ended up in a stalemate with my two Monks Chakraing and Sandworm using Quicksand until I bit the bullet and gave them both an Elixir. Then they wiped him out. Meanwhile, Cray Claw was a joke, as my Berserker ripped him apart. Berserker's pretty great whenever he isn't a liability.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Just got my fourth job...

Monk/Berserker/Bard/Red Mage

Well, I was wanting a magic class... Meh.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Progress Update:

Adamantoise was simple with two Berserkers wailing on him. As for Soul Cannon, waited until both my Berserkers didn't get with Launcher so that Old wouldn't gently caress them over, and then went into a chain of my Bard using an Elixir before each cannon burst and then reviving the Berserkers after. Worked out well! Archeoavious wasn't too horrible thanks to Chakra and my Berserker wrecking its poo poo.

After that, I pick up Red Mage as my final class and go down to three. I end up rolling Red Mage/Monk/Berserker for the next several boss fights.

Purobolos were tricky, but having a Berserker spam a Mage Masher to silence them helped stop the Arise party. Other than that, Blizzara and Kick to spread the love. As for Titan, he got off an Earth Shaker during the battle, killing my Red Mage and weakening the other two. Then Titan happened to hit my Monk, and the resulting counter killed him, letting me skip his final attack. Really lucked out there. Manticore was a slugfest, and I finally began appreciating having drat healing with Cura.

With that, I'm done with World One. Kind of worried that I have two classes that become less useful as the game progresses, but hopefully my Bard will rouse everyone to awesomeness. I'm enjoying the challenge, though, as no boss has really been bullshit tough besides Byblos. Plus I'm actually using stuff like Elixirs somewhat liberally, and I'm throwing down a lot of money on Phoenix Downs.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Hit or miss Clitoris posted:

Oh my gently caress Byblos is slaying me. I never had trouble with him before but a White Mage White Image Berserker team just cannot do damage fast enough after Dischord. I threw another Berserker in to try to make up speed but I think I'm just too low a level. Has anyone else had this team? Is level 14 too low? I wanted to kill him before hitting level 15 in the library for obvious reasons.

I was around L17 when I beat him, though I lucked out and never had him cast Protect before he skipped to the Drain phase.

You'll want to go all-out offensive on him and be thankful you have good healing available. A couple levels will help immensely as well. After that, it's a matter of how much time you want to spend grinding versus how much time you want to spend pressing your luck until you get a lucky break.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Sex_Ferguson posted:

SO yeah, I don't know if this was posted, but the Theatrhythm trailer is making me want the game more. I didn't think I could like the idea of a Rhythm RPG so much, but this is really great.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHqIsFHFGrQ&hd=1

Interesting. I love the awesome music and the general campiness and nostalgia of it all, it's just a shame that the actual gameplay looks like crap. While it gives a bunch of characters, it doesn't really seem like there's any differences between them besides "abilities." Speaking of which, the RPG system makes no sense and doesn't look like it really affects gameplay at all. It just seems like a much simpler version of Elite Beat Agents/Ouendan with a bunch of Final Fantasy poo poo thrown on it.

But again, that's just based on this trailer. I am hoping that this game becomes the definitive Rhythm RPG the world has been so vehemently clamoring for. At the least, it made me nostalgic as hell for the series.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Himuro posted:

My twitter name is therootsweshare, that's my name on the player list. Who is everyone else?

Mega64_LP since I couldn't think of anything better, but then I've mainly been using my account to show off my awesome death pic collection.

World 2 so far is simple. Abductor sucked it to Thundara, and Berserker Galuf blocked half of Gilgamesh's attacks with the Main Gauche. The second Gilgamesh fight was fun thanks to my Red Mage layering everyone with Protect and Cura. My Red Mage kept healing while everyone else beat him up.

For Tyrannosaur, did Phoenix Down when my party was about dead, but felt bad about it and decided to try him legit. Both fights, I forget to unequip Deathsickle from my Berserker. I still won, with my Berserker alive no less. Reviving him actually came in handy to nullify his Revenge attacks. It was a weird match.

After that, I grinded in Bal until I unlocked Doublecast for Bartz. Probably don't need it yet, but I'm sure it'll come in handy around the point where I'll be hurting for the -aga spells, or at least to get Protect on quicker.

And that's enough for one day.

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jun 19, 2012

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Taking a break from the fiesta tonight, so mini-progress report (Monk/Berserker/Bard/Red Mage):

Left Bal with Doublecast, humiliated Abductor. Went to the mountain, picked up Requiem, wrecked undead's poo poo. Gave my Berserker the Bone Mail because why not, and then had an easy-but-lengthy fight with the Dragon Pod. Now I have the Hiyruu, so all is good.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

^^ Well, I wasn't planning on doing anything tonight anyway, I guess. Loving a lot of these.

I hope they remove the ability to name characters, and then charge $5 for DLC that only renames Aeris to Aerith.

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jun 19, 2012

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Trasson posted:

Nailed the bastard!

Congratulations, you magnificent bastard. Way to pull off a victory with three drat Berserkers.

That's an accomplishment you can put on your grave.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

FF13-3 should be a sim game where Sazh opens his own airship business and tries to raise enough money to build his own casino.

The DLC could be a 15-minute cutscene where he constantly complains how old he is.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Did a couple of short bursts the past couple of days, so here's a small update on progress (Monk/Berserker/Bard/Red Mage):

Kind of a pain dealing with Enkidu and his Vampire and White Wind spells, especially with Gilgamesh chipping away. Protect is awesome though, and eventually I was able to wipe them both out. I cut it pretty close with Atomos, as I lost my Berserker (due to leaving the Bone Mail on him) and my other three characters got awfully close to him, but I managed to keep a steady load of damage on him and alternated dead characters.

Decided to fight Catoblepas for the hell of it, and he was a joke thanks to my Elven Cloaks and a 3k+ damage Swords Dance from my Berserker. The crystals in the Forest of Moore, on the other hand, weren't a joke. My Berserker managed to take out half with a Deathsickle, and my Bard with Doublecast managed to outheal Aeraga barely. The final one with Firaga was close, though I had it set up to heal my Berserker fully and hope he got a couple blocks with the Aegis shield to take it down if necessary. But in the end, my Bard got to survive as well (even if Galuf didn't).

I'm hoping Exdeath won't be as nightmarish for me as he was for many other people. We'll see.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Finally got off my lazy rear end and finished World 2. Party: Monk/Berserker/Bard/Red Mage

I fought Carbuncle for the hell of it. It was pretty easy, since I healed while Reflect was up and wailed fists/Fira at it when its defenses were down. Gilgamesh Discorded my Berserker and Time Slipped my Red Mage, but otherwise it was easy to keep up with him thanks to the wonderful Doublecast.

Exdeath was surprisingly easy thanks to having Doublecast. Between my DCing Bard and Red Mage, I was able to constantly heal Exdeath's damage and relayer Protect between Dispel counters. Kinda wish I put Equip Axe on my Monk like I had earlier rather than HP +30%, but it didn't really matter.

I'm so glad to have magic on this run, even if it's Red Mage. Doublecast Cura is still handy for World 2, and Protect is always fantastic, though not having Shell sucks. Monk's starting to fade in usefulness, but then that's what Equip Axe is for.

Time to put some progress into World 3. I'll probably do everything possible just because I can. At least Omniscient won't be as much a nightmare as the no-magic parties.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

W.T. Fits posted:

I disagree. Being able to replace the Berserker's godawful Agility and Magic penalties (-9 Agility, -23 Magic) with the modest boosts of the Bard (+8 Agility, +11 Magic) is really helpful if you plan on using the Gaia Hammer or Rune Axe. A !Magic command from any of the Mage jobs (except Red Mage) would be better, of course, but Equip Harps isn't a bad alternative, all things considered.

This. For reference, my Berserker with Equip Harp is currently averaging around 3k damage a hit with the Rune Axe, and has enough MP to constantly critical all the way to the next save point.

I managed to end Wendigo dealing over 8k damage with said Rune Axe thanks to Hero's Rime going on the entire battle (and in the end, having two people singing it since Regen was healing more than enough by that point).

World 3 has become a joke after the Pyramid gave me more awesome goodies than I could've ever hoped for. The Sealed Weapons, Phantom Village accessories (i.e. RunningShoes) and World 3 songs are just massive bonuses that make the game easy and entertaining as hell. Usually it's the random encounters that give me trouble. I haven't actually struggled with a boss since the Crystals at the Forest of Moore.

I also find it amusing that I'm using my Bard as my magic user and my Red Mage as my singer, and that my Monk has to rely on Equip Axes just to stay competitive in damage to my Berserker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

(Monk/Berserker/Bard/Red Mage)

Almost done with World 3. Have all the tablets, just need to get the optional summons (because I can) and then do the final dungeon.

My Berserker got off two Swords Dances on Antlion, so yeah. The Pyramid was a breeze thanks to Requiem, and it gave such wonderful goodies as the Gaia Hammer and a second Gold Hairpin. Melusine took awhile to get started, but soon I was spamming so much Blizzara down her throat that she died quickly.

I then gave my Monk Equip Axes so she wouldn't be useless. I love how Monk carries Berserker in World 1 with Barehanded, and then Berserker returns the favor in World 3. Of course, my Monk sucks with the Gaia Hammer, but still.

Unlock the Rune Axe (gently caress yeah), Magus Rod, and Apollo Harp. Get Hero's Rime, which became 75% of what my Red Mage does every battle. The Magus Rod lets my Red Mage's spells somewhat compete with my Doublecasting Bard's. Rune Axe + Equip Harp = Complete annihilation. Upgrade at Phantom Village (Running Shoes for everyone!), and then head for the Island Shrine. Wendigo was slow, but that just meant Hero's Rime had more time to kick in. I ended the battle with my Berserker dealing over 8000 damage with the Rune Axe. Hell yeah.

I decide to tackle the Fork Tower. Minotaur was easy enough with my Monk feeding my Berserker HiPotions. Omniscient took a bit of strategy, where I let him fling his pathetic spells while I used Hero's Rime, Swift Song, and Mana's Paean to superpower my Red Mage and Bard. From there, I managed to get Omniscient from full HP to 0 without him even getting a chance to do anything. It was glorious.

Great Sea Trench was marvelous because Requiem and Dwarves. The pigs were tedious to deal with, but I managed to luck out and have enough lag between reviving to wipe them all out at once. Did the Istory Shrine, got the Titan Axe to give my Monk a decent weapon (since a Monk's poo poo magic makes the Gaia Hammer near-useless) and then wailed on Leviathan until he croaked. The Titan Axe actually lets my Monk compete with my Berserker in damage now.

Just need to do Odin, Phoenix, and Bahamut for completeness sake. Maybe Mime too for laughs. At any rate, I'm pretty much set with my party, and it's great to see everything coming together.