Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Guess what I did last year?

I can't wait for a formal one! :getin:

I need to get a twitter account first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

But I wanted to have to try and overcome challenges by exerting effort. :negative:

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUph4b8lwPE

Having gotten the best set of jobs possible for a fiesta, I decided to ignore all sidequests, pick up Syldra, Mighty Guard, and a set of Hermes Sandals and storm the Rift knowing that I could not die unless I got arrogant.

I further decided to play with Neo-Exdeath by using a yellow dragon I caught in Exdeath's Castle so long ago. Because I couldn't lose.

I think I will reload my save and kill the first form with level 5 death for shits and giggles.

Man, does berserker risk still work? It might be the only way to avoid decent jobs again.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Ff7 has the honeybee.

Why can't more of my fanservice in video games being having gay sex with Freddie Mercury and 7 other men in a small hot tub? :(

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Kalenn Istarion posted:

The bee girls, dummy... But you knew that's what I meant.

But if honeybee wasn't fanservicey then Tifa was.

Are you saying having sex with Freddie Mercury can't be fanservice, because it's gay men?

How terrible. :colbert:

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Doc Morbid posted:

Then I'll give FF2 a shot because I hate myself. :gonk:

FF2's dark secret is that true power is kinda esoteric to obtain but completely hilarious to watch.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Khisanth Magus posted:

Speaking of which, is the thread up for the 2015 fiesta?

Kyrosiris is planning on starting it in June rather than two weeks before preregistration, so I've been told.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Kyrosiris posted:

While that is really rad, what is it with every patch, remake, etc. of FF3 basically chopping the Sage's balls off?

There's no real way to have the Sage as it existed in FF3 NES without having it be the correct choice for any magic-user once you get there. Character who handles random encounters with summons? Sage. Curaja spammer? Sage. Uses MP? Sage. It needs to be reigned in if we're trying to balance classes.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Dragonatrix posted:

But... the entire point of it is that it is the correct choice. You get it and Ninja right before the final boss. They're transparently not meant to be balanced.

Then what's the point of a class system if, after a certain point in the game, it boils down to "correct choice" and "wrong choice"? Why bother with having Knight, Master, Dragoon, and Ranger? Why give us Summoner, Shaman, and Warlock right before they're rendered pointless? There's no real options and versatility, which are the entire reasons you have a class system. It's just cutting out a core mechanic out of the last 5% of gameplay for no good reason. And considering how classes work in FF3, it makes the remaining 95% of the game a trap because you might screw yourself out of HP growths.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

corn in the bible posted:

better question: why play ff3 it sucks

We're discussing using the magic of modern technology to patch FF3 into something resembling a good game and the nature of class balance in such a situation.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
No one remembers it's actually Watch_Dogs. It's like they hyphen in Spider-Man.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Obviously important feelings like "This game made TOO MUCH MONEY, this is bullshit!" or "I don't like this game, so it should be a total failure and lose the company money!"

If a game is financially successful, companies might seek to replicate and reuse its design decisions in future games in hopes it would create more financial success. If a person thinks a game's design decisions are bullshit garbage, it's reasonable to hope the game does not do well financially so that companies decide to not do those things, or be upset that it did make money as that makes companies think the bullshit garbage decisions are secretly good.

Though since this is the Final Fantasy thread it doesn't quite apply so cleanly as Square tends to reinvent everything rather frequently.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Kalenn Istarion posted:

I'll say it: anyone who doesn't figure out that staggering is important by the 5th hour of the game is either being wilfully obtuse or is an actual retard, and of all the possible complaints about XIII, this isn't a valid one.

It's like playing Super Mario Bros. without using the B button to run. Sure you can technically make progress but calling it a flaw in the game that you don't get it is in fact pretty loving stupid. Like, it gives as much emphasis to an enemy staggering as it does to your own party's HP. The final boss can't be hurt without staggering it! Is it FFX's weakness that you don't know how to look at the turn listing?

It's got a 20 hour tutorial that doesn't even present the illusion of agency and is mean as poo poo if you don't play by its rules but I'm not sure how much more it could emphasize Staggering as a core combat mechanic without it blinking in blood red letters all the time in every fight that perhaps you should stagger foes.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

YggiDee posted:

I love ffx2, I love the pop superstar opening, I love the weird jazzy Charlie's Angels 80's atmosphere, I love all the Dresspheres and the Garment Grid system and how bonkers the battles get by letting you switch jobs midfight. I love seeing the weird politics of what happens after a nation that worships death and sacrifice and martyrs has to deal with living for the first time in a millennia. I love Paine and Lenne and even, God help me, LeBlanc. I am even glad that Tidus comes back. gently caress the haters.

I agree with all of these but the last (the ending with Yuna on some level moving on and having adventures for the sake of adventure is better) and wish that the game wasn't so weird about presenting its content. Like, who even remembers King Vermin!!! besides the part where the !!! is part of its name? It's hard to tell what you're supposed to be accomplishing and how to accomplish it. Wasn't there some thing about a guy opening a store in the ice lake? Am I misremembering thinking that it was complicated to get the swag, like trying to get some dude laid and trying to make carnivals popular, and instead wasn't?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Worst Girl posted:

The World Ends With You is one of my favorite games, you son of a poo poo.

I haven't found anyone who has complaints about TWEWY deeper than "I am a judgmental gently caress" or "my eyeballs are worthless".

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

I worked real hard to keep Tifa at level 7 :qq:

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

forbidden lesbian posted:

that thread is a billion pages long lol, sorry dude but anything not in the op isn't going to be read

Most of the LLG is posted in the OP! And those are filtered to posts by me so just skip any that don't open with a Zelda pic!

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Srice posted:

Imagine trying to play FF9 today without turbo...

My level 1 game was on console. I beat Ozma.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Sordas Volantyr posted:

From what I understand, Ozma is just as much of a pain in the rear end at level 1 as he is at level 99.

Pretty much. Meteor and Curse will gently caress you up regardless of your HP totals, Doomsday is either nulled or a OHKO, Holy and Flare just deal way too much damage, and Flare Star is easier to get through if it's only dealing 50 instead of 4950.

The only advantages you get from being level 99 is that getting Berserked doesn't make Zidane nigh useless and that things like Eiko's Holy isn't just bait for the Curaga counter.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Gologle posted:

Is it true that at level 1 you can only beat certain bosses with specific teams? I don't remember where I heard it, but I heard that some bosses were impossible unless you had Freya and Eiko on your party.

Zidane, Freya, and Quina have attacks that can deal a fixed 9,999 damage regardless of level, and are all but essential once you get them going. Eiko is the preferred 4th member as Rebirth Flame can save you from an unlucky wipe but isn't strictly mandatory, but really who else are you going to use?

Let's see, every point where you have control over the party's composition...

The return to the Iifa Tree at the end of disc 2 requires Vivi to Stop the Mistodons and Amarant's Chakra is drat useful for trying that so it's mostly which white mage sits out. You take a mage, probably Dagger since she really can't cast anyway, to Oeilvert as with the Light Robe's sheer defense they can become unkillable against Ark. You're forced to have Vivi for Meltigemini (and he can handle the Red Dragons relatively well anyway) so you take Freya and Quina to win ASAP as Viral Smoke one-shots your party.

It's funny because your response to Eiko being captured is to become zombies then murder some dragons then go and rescue her.

After that it's Zindane/Freya/Quina as they are your only real sources of damage that keep up with enemy HP and Eiko is the only remaining character with utility besides flinging phoenix downs and ethers with her pinions/256 chance of avoiding a game over.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
FF12 should've had not stolen from, pailing, and magick barrier gambits.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Sakurazuka posted:

Non-story missions in FFT scale to your level but I didn't think story ones did.

Some story ones do iirc, but they're the filler wild monster battles. The ones with human opponents don't scale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Artix posted:

I don't think the True Ending tells you anything that the Lightning DLC doesn't, really. And it doesn't even matter honestly, because LR picks up from the normal ending.

I didn't try to get the true ending but I presume it's Caius saying the word "chaos" a lot and maybe "time" or "Yeul"