Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Camel Pimp posted:

The best FF villain is the emperor from FF2, because he's the one who essentially wins. I mean, you kill him in the end, but after he's literally killed off half the population.

Kefka did that and actually disfigured the planet and turned it into a barren wasteland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

NikkolasKing posted:

Hojo > Sephiroth

I'm liking this. S-Alpha brought up how effectively the game's writing makes you fear Sephiroth. I didn't fear Hojo, but I loving hated him. I hated his crazy guts.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

NikkolasKing posted:

Wait, mentioning Sephiroth was the first villain we saw become a villain made me realize...what bad guys have we actually seen turning bad? The only one I can think of is Seifer and even then it's more like he got a evil talking to and then turned up later as an antagonist. The full "descent to villainy" we get in the Kalm flashback is almost unique for this series.

Seifer was seduced by his headmaster's wife who was controlled by an evil witch from the future.

In other news, this is a special kind of Hell :suicide::

EDIT: Or was she controlled by a beefcake witch in space who was being controlled by an evil witch from the future?

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Mar 10, 2014

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Excels posted:

I believe the Dragon will also only go after Young Cloud, and depending on ATB timing you will almost always die before each turn. Also worth noting that Seph will try to revive you at least twice, after that I think he just ignores you and kills the dragon to end the battle.

e: also if you touch his equipment, a little window pops up of him going "..."

The dragon's AI is no different from the normal ones you find in Mt. Nibel seven years later, aside from using only its fire attack. It can target Sephiroth, hitting for 0HP of damage, and sometimes completely ignores Cloud.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I'm trying to get Strago into the Fiend battle at the top of Kefka's Tower so he can learn Force Field and I keep messing it up. Every time I make an attempt I end up sending the wrong party through the corridor, but I can't at all pinpoint where I went wrong in the big switch puzzle room :psyduck:

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

This was a couple days ago but:

You should probably just post this in the thread.

Seconding this!

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Majorian posted:

I've done that before. The way I remember it is basically, "Strago goes in Party 1, Party 1 stays to the left."

That did it, thanks!

Now time to attempt Goddess :gonk:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Majorian posted:

If you want her to be literally no challenge whatsoever, do the Setzer + Fixed Dice + Master Scroll trick with her. It bypasses Overture.

I wasn't aware of that! Instead I gave someone a death-resistant relic (apparently zombie resistance doesn't work...) and just muscled through it. I also used the Debilitator and it made her weak against Holy, which was insanely helpful :allears:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Endorph posted:

You can download a mod to fix that, though.

That mod has been made official and the Steam version is downloaded with it installed IIRC. The original PC version of FFVII was a pile of garbage, but the 2012 version is really good.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Barudak posted:

Auron is awesome.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Fungah! posted:

Wakka's voice acting's always going to hold a special place in my heart just because of how hard John DiMaggio was phoning it in. I mean, god drat. Also because he was generally a fun goofball in a game that pretty desperately needed one.

John Bender Bending Marcus Jake the Dog Phoenix Rodriguez DiMaggio was doing that goofy rear end faux Carribean accent? :psyduck:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Jesus Christ the bonus dungeon in FFVI Advance is insanely painful :gonk:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

ImpAtom posted:

Do Kain's sidequest ASAP. The weapon you get from it is literally broken. It can randomly cast Tornado and it works on pretty much every enemy, including bosses.

:ssh: Wrong game.

I keep getting mowed down by the Ice Dragon(s) (the first fixed encounter in the dungeon). I thought I could just muscle through it, but I guess I'll actually have to be smart with my equipment for the second time in this playthrough.* Good thing I have enough Ice and Flame shields to throw around, and I'm guessing Phantom and/or Golem will make an appearance too.

* The first time was climbing the Fanatic's Tower :v:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

ImpAtom posted:

Boy, I can't read today. In that case, get Gau's Rafflesia rage instead. Same kind of broken, different game!

Oh right. I forgot about those things. I spent quite a bit of time on the Veldt trying to get them and the only time they appeared was while Gau was absent :argh:. I've just been Cat Scratching my way through things with him so far.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Majorian posted:

Those help, but apart from that, only attack one image of the Ice Dragon at a time.

Decided to switch up my party for another attempt. Mighty Guard helped a ton.

Another question about the Den: Is it just me, or do enemies not provide any AP in there? :(

EDIT: Does the Growth Egg relic's effect stack when a character has two of them equipped?

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Mar 16, 2014

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Potato Jones posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=486TVhJb6Rw

The greatest has already been made, though.

I was expecting another hard rock/metal version (not that it's a bad thing, it just gets tiring), so this was a nice surprise.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Mar 16, 2014

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I've never played X-2. In what way are you penalized for skipping cutscenes? It sounds like a loving dumb idea, regardless.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

So I started playing Final Fantasy Tactics. Everyone I know who loves the game tells me how piss easy it is, but I'm finding it beyond relentless.

I got myself trapped in the Wiegraf/Belias battles and I could really use some tips on how to beat that fucker. I know he's vulnerable to Silence and Blind, which is a huge help, but I still end up getting pulverized by his army of demons if I manage to hit him with status effects.

The last time I forgot to keep my alt saves up to date was just before the previous Lucavi battle. Why do I keep doing this to myself :argh:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

TARDISman posted:

Yup, you get a gold chocobo for killing Ruby, and yes it's very possible to beat Ruby without KotR, but the easiest method will require just a little bit of Chocobo breeding, just to get a Green one. Green chocobos can give you access to the Mime materia, which you can use to chain Hades/BahamutZERO if you've grinded out a W Summon from Battle Square.

What's your strategy for getting past Wiegraf vs Ramza?

Plays out like this:
  • Run away.
  • Wiegraf follows as far as he can and attacks with Shockwave for piddly damage.
  • Get up in his face and attack him.
This ends the battle if he hits successfully twice (Ramza is a Ninja dual-wielding Ninja Longblades). Wiegraf always follows up with a counterattack, but Ramza's evade is pretty high so it only should hit him sometimes. I've never seen it miss in any of my attempts so far though, if I remember right. When the counter does connect, Ramza starts the next battle in critical condition.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

AngryRobotsInc posted:

If you want the absolute cheesiest way out of that fight, and don't have yourself locked in by save, go to Lesalia and buy Ramza a Chameleon Robe. Make Ramza any job that can equip the robe, and make his secondary skill set the Squire set. It wouldn't hurt to also have Auto-Potion on, if you have it.

Then in the solo battle, run away while spamming Yell/Tailwind (not sure which version you're playing), until you get about two turns for every one of Wiegraf's, then start spamming Accumulate/Focus, until you feel confident in your face punching abilities. Then stroll over and smack Wiegraf one. The accumulated stats carry over to the Belias fight, and you can speed Ramza over and oneshot it before the battle even really gets going.

I was save-locked in it. I just managed to beat him, though, if not only because I was lucky. Ramza avoided Wiegraf's counter and I added another ninja. That was enough to get me an edge, especially after silencing him and killing off his demon posse.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I know there was a brief discussion about it a way back on like page 275 or something, but I'm wondering if anyone has any more opinions on Final Fantasy IX Unleashed. I decided to give it a shot but this game takes forever to gain traction so it's hard to tell if the mod is at all worth playing, and I probably won't until near the end of disc 1 if I can get that far. I see already that the steal success rate has been modified (it seems way easier, but I could be misremembering the original rates), everyone starts with an extra ability, and the equipment abilities have been shuffled around.

So far I like the changes, but right now I'm still in the Evil Forest because I got kind of burnt out after going through that droning introductory sequence for the 100th time. I have a feeling I'll run into my first snag with Black Waltz 1 and the Abominable Snow Walrus in an hour or so. Wish me luck! :v:

Have any of you ever beaten it? Any tips to provide? I tend to avoid ROM hacks because they tend to be made by people who are criminally insane and targeted toward masochists, but I've played through FFIX more times than I can count and did the whole deal (completed chocobo quests, got all Blue Magic, killed Ozma, Hades, and that library book fucker, etc.) a million times over. The only thing I have never done in that game is do the pointless and totally non-rewarding minigame garbage, like the jump ropes and Tetra Master.

Considering that, I think I might be able to take on the task, but it's hard to gauge because vanilla FFIX is such a ridiculous easy game if you plan on ignoring the early Fairy Flute, which I'm pretty sure everyone does anyway. On the other hand, I thought I was Really Good™ at Super Metroid until Redesign absolutely ruined me :ohdear:*

* EDIT: I guess that isn't really an apt comparison because Redesign is basically a completely different game at its core and you can't grind in Super Metroid.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jul 1, 2014

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Artix posted:

Not that it really matters to your main point, but Uematsu hasn't had anything to do with FF soundtracks since IX. X was Masashi Hamauzu (who would later go on to do the soundtrack for the XIII series) and Junya Nakano.

Incorrect.

Take a look at the FFX soundtrack. See all of the notable, good tracks? Guess who wrote them! :haw:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

CeallaSo posted:

I felt particularly that Sakimoto was more suited for epic war compositions (like that for Tactics) than for a mainstream Final Fantasy.

He sure likes his string/brass ensembles, which lend themselves well to epic battle tracks.

EDIT:
Unrelated: Jesus FFIX Unleashed is insane. The author did an almost complete (very well-deserved, in my opinion) overhaul of the Blue Magic list.

Quina can now cast* Flare Star. I have yet to enter Gizamaluke's Grotto :stare:

* EDIT 2: I guess "now cast" is a bit generous, considering Quina only has 70% of the MP required for it right now :v:

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jul 5, 2014

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

The White Dragon posted:

Unless the patch also changes the formula, Flare Star probably won't be that great once you actually have the MP to cast it because enemies' HP will have outstripped its (x * level) damage. Sounds like a lovely deal for something with that high of a price unless he changed that, too, since Quina always has kind of abysmal MP for a caster.

Yeah, I did a few calculations and it looks like Pyro does more damage than Flare Star would. Of course a major difference is that Flare Star attacks all targets and bypasses Reflect (and Shell?).

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Flare Star - 80 mp cost, damage = target's level * 65

Yeah, it's not spectacular, but it's about as strong as a multi-target spell gets unless you count summon attacks isn't it? :shrug:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

There are a number of downsides to Arithmeticians. They can only use spells they had already learned, they have a pretty poor Magic stat so their attacks end up being pretty wimpy, their attacks strike all targets, and most of all their speed is absolutely atrocious. Seriously it's about half that of the average-speed classes.

The first two problems are pretty easy to rectify. Mage skill is needed to even have access to Arithmeticians anyway and you should always be using Black Mages to run calculations (ditto for Iado/Draw Out) for maximum impact. That takes care of the first two issues. Getting over the targeting everything issue is just a matter of knowing the game mechanics. Not everyone thinks about casting Holy while all of your team are wearing Holy-absorbing equipment. Hell, I still don't know what equipment that is :shrug:. Barring that, learning all the variables and divisors means you have a lot to play with and you're bound to find something that hits anything but your own dudes.

The biggest hurdle is getting them JP, which can be annoying because of their abysmal speed stat. But again, knowing the mechanics helps, because apparently all you need is enough to learn CT/5 and then change them back to Black Mage, manipulate their speed to 10, and then watch everything die with the aforementioned Holy-absorbing equipment :v:

EDIT: Oh, and it's not like you, the player, needs to do any calculating yourself to see who will and won't be hit by the spells. All would-be targets are highlighted when you select the spell before confirming to cast it.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jul 9, 2014

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

The Unleashed hack adds an Excalibur II you can gank from Ozma.

I always synthed the pieces to form a full Pumice, but I might have to try something else this time around.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Fister Roboto posted:

AND doing all missable sidequests (including the super long one that was discovered only recently)

What's this now?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Regalingualius posted:

I think they mean a complete set of Mastered Materia. :gonk:

While it seems daunting, it isn't that difficult to get a complete set of master materia. The only real time-consuming part of it is mastering Full-Cure, Ultima, Contain, Mime, KotR, and Bahamut Zero, and even then most of that can be done in a single Weapon battle with a 3x growth weapon :v:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

It took four attempts to beat Hilgigars in FFIX Unleashed. On my fourth battle I ganked the Fairy Flute on the first attempt and managed to kill him. That certainly was interesting :allears:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Eggie posted:

You're a greater man than I. Or a crazy person. After struggling through the first two discs, I gave up at the beginning of Disc 3 when I played FF9 Unleashed. There are bad aspects to FF9's combat that are only apparent when you're presented with a challenge level that vanilla FF9 never provides, like ATB meters filling up during long attacks and enemies queueing up attacks while you're selecting yours. Maybe you'll like Unleashed but I can't see many people enjoying it. It's way too hard.

I'm loving it! Vanilla Final Fantasy IX was just way, way too easy, and this is a nice change. Some battles are bullshit tough and it took a long time for Vivi to resist getting instagibbed when coughed on. The Magician's Robe was a big help there (I cannot imagine playing this without Chocobo H&C rewards), but really it was the fault of my own carelessness. You really need to be aware of things you never gave a second thought about in Vanilla, such as using Cover and Protect Girls and swapping up equipment based on the spells used in some areas (enemies on the Conde Petie Mountain Path are fond of Blizara, for example, which you can defend yourself against with the Madain's Ring you can synth in Black Mage Village). Something the game does not tell you is that some equipment gives you elemental weaknesses (e.g. Cotton Robes make you weak to fire), which is bullshit but not really important in the vanilla game. It's the main reason why Vivi was so die-happy in the early game as a lot of enemies like to use fire.

As for the ATB system, you are almost in complete control of it as long as it's set to Wait. As soon as someone's turn comes up, open the skill or items menu or whatever. Game time, including enemy ATB, grinds to a halt as long as you're in the middle of making a command. It gives you time to think and/or wait out long attacks so you don't have to leave any party members waiting unless you're strategically keeping them on standby for defense purposes. Playing this with the ATB set to Active is just asking for trouble.

Oh, and if you're not willing to take the time to learn Blue Magic, then Quina-mandatory segments will be incredibly hard for you. Magic Hammer, White Wind, and Pyro (replaces Limit Glove in Unleashed) got me out of many tricky spots, especially during the Burmecia/Cleyra plot where recruiting Quina is optional. If you have no patience for learning Blue Magic, you should consider at least learning the three aforementioned.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jul 29, 2014

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Ugh. I just hit my first "This really needs to be changed" gripe about FFIX: Unleashed. The Zidane vs. Amarant fight. The only way to keep up with the damage dealt to you is with an Auto-Potion + Hi-Potion combination, and then it just becomes an endurance game where the only measure of "endurance" is how many Hi-Potions you have in stock.

It took two Trances (five Scoop Arts)*, FORTY Hi-Potions, and countless attacks in between to finally take him down. I wish I timed it. :shepicide:

* EDIT: I did not have High Tide equipped.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jul 30, 2014

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Ugh I just reached the "Beatrix and Steiner" scene in FFIX: Unleashed and I think this is where I might have to quit. This is loving brutal :smithicide:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

FF9 Unleashed trip report: Just powered through the Desert Palace.

Oeilvert was tough, but not bullshit tough like the Alexandria assault. I managed to down Ark on my first attempt though I was about running out of steam by the time I sunk it. The Desert Palace, as usual, was a breeze. The battles were a bit tougher than normal, as some enemy levels were changed making it impossible to just cheese your way through it by spamming Lv5 Death. I can't say the same for the boss, though. No mod can make Valia Pira a challenging battle as long as you use the Quina/Vivi/Eiko power trio :allears:.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

WickedHate posted:

So are they just ignoring that Malboro is a dig at the cigarettes?

Has that ever been confirmed? I always thought the connection with Marlboro cigarettes is coincidental. FFWiki claims the name comes from the Latin "malum" ("bad," the origin of the English prefix 'mal-') and Greek "boros." The wiki says "boros" means "breath" but all sources I find says it means "eating," so that's probably not the right origin either.

The Japanese name Moruboru sounds like it's just onomatopoeia, but I guess it's possible the English localization people saw the similarities between that and the Marlboro name and just rolled with that for localization.

I think the inspiration for FFVI's Evil Oscar is pretty clear, though :v:

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Aug 13, 2014

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Lessail posted:

edit: also i don't really like however the battle system/battles ended up in 9?

How so? FF9 has a really quirky ATB system that is active at all times, unlike in previous games where it paused while attacks were being executed. The only thing the Wait setting does in the config menu is make it pause while selecting commands. It's really easy to exploit this to your advantage. All you have to do is select a command (open an Item or ability menu or select Attack and let the finger wait on the enemy target, or whatever). ATB is not active during this. When you're ready to let time move again, confirm the command.

Here's the simple version:
  • Pause ATB while members of your party are executing any action. Only confirm it after the character returns to their idle position and stance. This applies for characters attacking, countering, using items, Auto-Potion, etc. You do this because you do not want to let enemies' gauges fill if any of your characters are waiting to move.
  • Let time go as normal while enemies are executing their actions.

In reality it's a bit more complicated than that as the above strategy is contingent on how many enemies there are, how many characters you have waiting for input, how much of the ATB bars are filled, etc. I never needed to make use of that in vanilla, but it's saved my rear end many times in the Unleashed hack.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Sunning posted:

Didn't they fix the line on the PC version?

They did. PC FF7 was my first Final Fantasy game (:suicide:) and the meme went over my head for years.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Endorph posted:

(they're gonna kill a plantman)

They even made the dialog boxes look pretty :v:

How does it compare to the GBA port? I can't remember if that version had a decent translation or not...

I've only ever played through Breath of Fire IV. BoF2 is one I've always wanted to play, but just never got around to it. I'd be more interested if the translation made a lick of sense for a change, but until they reduce the insane battle encounter rate I'll probably just continue to ignore it.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

maou shoujo posted:

I can't believe the FFVII hacker is complaining about Cait Sith but not Red XIII. Both or neither! Be consistent!

Replace Cait Sith and Red XIII with Rude and Reno respectively.

Oxxidation posted:

It's worth noting that the BoF2 rewrite initially caught flak because there were a ton of raunchy sexual jokes written into the script, and then it turned out, welp, that was all in the original as well. Breath of Fire is a weird loving series.

Kanfy posted:

I'm pretty sure Japan has always been a fan of sexual jokes in games, it didn't really fly as well in the west back in the day.

BoF4 had a scene where (though you don't see anything) some nasty toad merchant rapes Nina. They kept that in the localization but cut a bathhouse scene, an accidental boob grope, and a pants-dropping dare. They also cut a beheading scene, though not really related to the sexual content of the previous scenes. The game was still released well into the "Playstation Games Are Edgy" era. The localization team decided to do all of that instead of take the time to translate a whole bunch of text (including the end credits), which were either left in Japanese or cut entirely. :v:

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Aug 13, 2014

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Endorph posted:

I don't think it was literal rape, I think he just felt her up a bit and leered a lot.

Yeah, it's possible that I had a more cynical interpretation of it. Regardless, some sort of sexual assault happened and the localization team left it in.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Lessail posted:

I don't really like that since it is more difficult to suss out what is a counterattack and what is simply an enemy's action.

Let time flow during all enemy actions. Pause time during all player actions. It kind of works both ways, though, as status ailments are affected by the ATB timer. Both Regen and Poison, for example, are made near useless when using my strategy, and both buffs and debuffs last longer because you're pausing their countdown timers willy-nilly.

Lessail posted:

It's ok for trash mobs but for bosses where you want to get healing off where it become a hassle. It feels like I'm punished for picking an action. I don't know maybe I just don't like atb anymore?

ATB was a nice gimmick when it was first implemented, as it was pretty much unseen in RPGs before, but it added an aspect of randomness that people were okay with at first and eventually started to piss off players without them even realizing it by the time FFIX came around. When it was announced that FFX dropped the ATB system and introduced an updating turn list right in the battle HUD, there was actually a lot of flak from fans with worries that it would make battles slow and uninteresting and make the game too easy. That is, until people played it and realized how refreshing it is to be able to strategically plan your battles again.

FFXIII and its sister games updated the ATB system. I thought it was great myself (Disclaimer: I've yet to play FFX-2), but a lot of people weren't happy about it.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Aug 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Lessail posted:

great system

It's normally not necessary to use at all, but you said you were having issues with the final battles and aside from grinding abilities (grinding EXP probably won't be helpful for you at this point) it's all the advice I can give you :shrug:. Giving everyone Auto-Haste (especially coupled with Auto-Regen/Life), HP/MP+ 10/20%, and some status resistances will probably make the fights comparatively trivial.

Lessail posted:

everything else about ff9 is neat and good but the battles are just something I've grown tired of doing

This I can understand. I'm feeling the same now, and I'm still getting through Disc 3.