Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Technically my first was *probably* one of the NES or SNES games, but I was too young to make head or tail out of them.

So the first I actually played and remember was (surprise) VII, I never owned it though and played it over with a buddy. Good times were had, even if we never finished it (mostly dicked around with minigames).

Good experience all in all, oblivious as I was of the shitstorm brewing on the internet, dependent for a long time as I was on 56k modem.

I had a pretty positive outlook on Final Fantasy after that, ranking it up there with Vandal Hearts.

Then my buddy bought the next game in the series and things got... weird.
Now to explain, he started it and played up to some train section with the president I think so from the start I got a rather skewed perspective on things.
The opening section with the beach assault, the military school setting. Alright, it's different from VII but I can dig it.

Now, I only participated in parts, as he played through it when I wasn't around so my exposure to the plot got... jumpy.

A Witch walking in from a Disney set as the main baddy? Oookay? Cool, I guess.

Then; Hot dog speech :iia:

And things kinda went downhill from there, the Orphanage (:stare:) and Lunar sections (:suspense:) coming out of nowhere (even more so than for someone actually playing the game!) was something straight out of a David Lynch movie from my limited perspective.

Understandably I had... mixed feelings about VIII. Having watched/read a few LPs of it since then things have kinda come together but for a long time I was rather put off by Final Fantasy in general, well until I started playing the older pre-3D games.

IV, V and VI were all pretty awesome (especially VI). The "punkish" settings of VII and VI are some of my favourites.

I've never actually finished any final fantasy game, despite repeated attempts, either from technical problems or more often, the plot taking a turn for the deep end as it is wont to do in FF games.

Luckily for me there's no end of Let's Plays of the series (gotta be a record of ongoing FF LPs right now).

All in all a rather love-hate relationship with the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU