Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grope-A-Matic
Nov 16, 2008

sigh... you really suck at hand
to hand combat i wont lie and
this is way more challenging
then i thought it would be. to
teach you hand to hand combat,
alright i will try to teach you
some more hand to hand combat

Nahxela posted:

The first FF I legitimately played all the way through was the Gamecube Crystal Chronicles game. I've played some of the other FF games since then, but I think I enjoy Crystal Chroniles the most.

Same here. FF:CC had great graphics for a Gamecube game, and unlike most Final Fantasy games, it actually allowed for co-op multiplayer. Sure, having to use the GC-GBA connector set-up was a pain in the rear end, but it was still a blast. I was lucky in that one of my best friends also had a GBA and the connector cable. We've spent so much playing time on that game :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grope-A-Matic
Nov 16, 2008

I can never truly hate the man who gave the world Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles. That was one of my favorite games for the Gamecube, and I still play it with my buddy every now and again.

Grope-A-Matic
Nov 16, 2008

TurnipFritter posted:

Yeah on a second watch I saw some scenes that looked more indicative of "normal" gameplay amidst all the set pieces.

If they could find the right mix between traditional action-RPG gameplay and those humongous set pieces, I think it'd make for a fantastic game. Now I see why everyone has been waiting for this game for 7 years.

Grope-A-Matic
Nov 16, 2008

1st AD posted:

Honestly I think it's time for an action-RPG Final Fantasy. I think a game like Mass Effect 3 is a very good example of a shooter that has well integrated magic mechanics and while it's easy enough to pick up for the casual player who uses no powers, it really rewards players who can exploit magic and specific strategies. Plus the gameplay is very fluid and the AI (in multiplayer at least) is pretty smart and keeps gameplay challenging.

No love for Crystal Chronicles :qq:

Grope-A-Matic
Nov 16, 2008

Just remember that the character designs in DQ are done by Akira Toriyama, aka the patron saint of Japanese puns.

Grope-A-Matic
Nov 16, 2008

Mr. Maltose posted:

It's obviously a comment on the inferiority of Courtly Love to hot makeouts. A good message, a message for the ages.

I misread that as Courtney Love and was incredibly confused. But seeing as we're talking about FF8, I figured it might make sense if you had played the game.

Grope-A-Matic
Nov 16, 2008

It's a bit different because it's an MMORPG, but Guild Wars 2 has a level scaling system that I think works pretty well. You have your true level which makes you stronger as you advance further into the game. When you go back to an earlier area, though, your level scales down to fit the surroundings. So when a level 80 character goes back to the level 1-15 area, they will be scaled down to around a level 15 character. This prevents you from coming in and one-shotting all the enemies, but it's still easier than if you were level 5. I certainly think it works better than a FF8-esque system where enemy strength scales with your level and you never really feel stronger.

Grope-A-Matic
Nov 16, 2008

Is anyone else playing Terra Battle? At first blush, it seems pretty cool. I'm not exactly well-versed in tactical RPGs, but it seems like a fun little time waster. The forced-waiting mechanic doesn't seem overly crappy right now, but I'm sure the further you go in, the more onerous it becomes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grope-A-Matic
Nov 16, 2008

Okay, really dumb and probably obvious question for Record Keeper--do the Mastery Rewards repeat when you beat dungeons again?