Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

jivjov posted:

Is there any good way to experience the story of FFXI without actually playing? Has anyone done a story-based Let's Play or something?

Someone seems to be doing a screen shot let's play of XI here: http://www.gamespite.net/talkingtime/showthread.php?t=12331

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Rasamune posted:

Four. The event starts midnight of the 17th, Tokyo time. That's Saturday at about 8:00 in the morning for me, here in the Pacific time zone.

Or even earlier, depending on when this guy finishes his playthrough:
http://www.letsplaying.com/FF5FF/rkrun.php

But then people went and voted him a Blue Mage with no Beastmaster (probably one of the most time-consuming jobs) and Berserker. So it may not be a quick run.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

I'm kinda regretting choosing hard mode now. Not because I think it'll be too hard (frankly, it might be easier- you have better odds of ending up with Wind Crystal jobs, which are almost all pretty useful), but because I haven't had as much experience messing around with later-game jobs and your odds of getting jobs from those crystals is significantly lower under hard mode. For example, the jobs from the last crystal- under regular, you're guaranteed one job, with each having a 25% chance. With hard mode, you're not guaranteed any of them and you only have a 5% chance of getting each. Oh well.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

p.crestmont posted:

I recommended X because it would be easy with one hand, and XIII is unplayable (until 25 hours in from what I hear.)

I try not to get into "XIII is the worst" considering the thread title, but I can't in good conscience let someone walk down that path if they ask about it.

Except you keep ignoring the fact that he doesn't have the consoles to play the other games nor money to procure them. Seriously, people, I'm sure he's picked up the general consensus that XIII is bad. Some people do enjoy it, though, so if he wants to play it (and he doesn't really have other options) let him make his own decisions.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

voltron lion force posted:

Magic isn't all that good in the vanilla version. Focus on getting the buff and healing spells but don't bother with attack magics or most debuffs. Better to just attack things.

Just want to say that this isn't really true. Unless you get the Nihopaloa ASAP, you WILL want debuff magic. Debuffs make a HUGE difference in XII. Also, while it's usually not wise to focus your entire party on offensive magic, having a dedicated offensive mage is a pretty good idea. With elemental boosting rods and hitting weaknesses, you'll be doing 9999 damage to a group of enemies while your heavy physical attackers are still doing 2000 per attack to one enemy. Also, AOE spells bounced off a team of reflected characters will DESTROY almost every boss. As an added bonus, later in the game you can clog up the spell queue with your own flashy spells, which can often result in bosses standing around doing nothing while your physical characters pound on them. However, the vanilla version gives you elemental gambits so late that you'll probably want to control the spellcaster yourself.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Has anyone had problems getting FF9 working on a playstation 2? I put Disc 3 in, and nothing loads. I tried a friends disc as well, and it didn't work either. Both of the discs are immaculately clean, they just dont read.

I played through FFIX on my PS2 about 2 years ago, so it's certainly not a universal problem.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

The White Dragon posted:

Incidentally Vagrant Story did have a really good localization, but as has been brought up before, SE specifically tells localizers these days to ham it up excessively to have extra appeal for some precocious demographic, and that isn't fun.

Where're you getting that from? Just curious.

They seem to have a method to their localization madness. In XII, for example, Vaan and Penelo don't talk in the "flowery language" so many people despise- but Ashe and Balthier often do. They clearly use the eloquence of speech to differentiate between characters who were well-born and educated against those without any formal education. But even the most eloquent of speakers in the game don't speak in anything approaching "Shakespearese" as some people claim, and it's all very straightforward and clear. Their sentence structure is just a bit more complex.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Ugh. I'd beaten FFV on my PS2 twice, but it always had this irritating problem where the save screen would turn into a jumbled mess. I'd read people say that was a problem with the game on PS2, along with freezing and other glitches- however, it was supposed to run great on the PS3. So just to be safe I start on the PS3, play a half hour to get to the wind shrine save point- and it freezes. Awesome. Now I don't know whether to do my FJF challenge on the PS2 or PS3.

Edit: Welp, I restarted and saved fine twice, then it froze again. Guess I'll be playing on the PS2 with its glitchy save graphics.

Schwartzcough fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Jun 15, 2012

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Princess Salsa...

homeless snail posted:

Nope, and you have to deal with the infuriating load times that all of those PSX SNES ports had.

The load times actually aren't too bad on FFV. It's a bit slow at the save screen, but there isn't any terrible load time going to the menu or before battles or anything.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

So I got

Knight (not bad!)

Mystic Knight (YEESSSSS!)

Berserker :negative:
There seem to be a LOT of Berserkers this year, even on hard mode with no Berserker Risk.

So hey, people with detailed mechanics knowledge- does 2-handed increase the damage of spellblade attacks?

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

W.T. Fits posted:

Yes.

Damage in this game is determined by (Attack - Defense) * Multiplier.

Two-Handed doubles your Multiplier, which for Swords is (Level*Strength)/128 + 2.

Spellblade does various things depending on the element you use and the target's weaknesses and resistances.

If you use Flare, it straight up adds 100 to your Attack, and quarters the target's defense (Attack+100 - Defense/4).

If you use an element the target Absorbs, their defense is treated as 0 and the attack heals them.

If you use an element they're immune to, the attack automatically misses.

If you use an element they take half damage from, your Multiplier is halved (M/2).

If you use an element they're weak to, it depends on the spell in question.

Fire, Ice, Bolt, and Venom doubles your Attack and treats their Defense as 0 (Attack*2 - 0).

Fire 2, Ice 2, and Bolt 2 triples your Attack and treats their Defense as 0 (Attack*3 - 0).

Fire 3, Ice 3, Bolt 3, Bio, and Holy will just straight up instantly kill the target if they're weak to it and not Heavy. If they're weak to it and have the Heavy type, then it quadruples the Attack power and treats their defense as 0 (Attack*4 - 0).

Cool, thanks. I wasn't sure if spellblade attacks were basically their own "spell" and didn't consider attack multipliers, since they seemed to miss against enemies immune to magic (like the Hand form of Liquid Flame, I think).

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Fister Roboto posted:

arrgghhhblll

That was painful.

But on the bright side, I skipped Necrophobe, so Gilgamesh is still alive out there... somewhere... :unsmith:

Can't verify you were using the right jobs. Do it again.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Polite Tim posted:

Remind me, can a PS3 slim play PSOne games or not?

I have a PAL copy of FF Origins and a hankering for playing V without having to buy it again through the PSN

It CAN, but be careful- is it the FF Anthologies version that came with FFVI? That version is known to freeze at the loading screen on PS3. I gave it a test run for this challenge and it froze 2 out of 4 times I tried to save, so I really wouldn't recommend it.

However, I think the version you can download off PSN for :10bux: works fine, and is the same as the PSOne version.

So my final team is Knight/Mystic Knight/Berserker/Thief. Clearly I did something to anger the Gilgabot after getting my second job...

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Fungah! posted:

You should always have steal by that point. Get thyself the Thief Knife.

And this is why Thief gets my vote as probably the most useless class. My berserker can at least put out big numbers, and I've had the Doom Axe insta-kill a surprising amount of bosses. A Thief's one gimmick of use is stealing, any anybody who can use a dagger can do that.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

ShadeofDante posted:

Well I hit the final wall.

My team of Blue/Berserk/Beast/Dragoon went relatively smoothly through the Void, skipped Necromorph because gently caress that, and then got my face stomped in hard by Neo Exdeath. His first form wasn't even a challenge, just able to keep everyone healed with White Wind while my Berserker/Dragoon do good damage.

But Ahgrest or whatever that move Neo Exdeath does... there's no real way to prepare for that outside of grinding isn't there? I'm sitting at L37 on everyone and felt that would've been fine for completing the challenge. :sigh:

Apparently the bottom part is the only one that casts Almagust (until there's only one part left, which can then cast anything), and the bottom part is vulnerable to petrification. The Back part casts Grand Cross, and is vulnerable to instant death. The Magic Lamp can do both (Shoat and Odin, respectively). Then you'll just have to wear the final two parts down roughly equally so you can finish them off together.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Trasson posted:

Since I figured my team of Berserkers and Knight would want Protect available, I decided to loot the Defender from Fork Tower. I'm currently "enjoying" Wall Ringing Omniscient out of his 30000 MP.

For my own information, does Spellblade count as magic for the Fork Tower, or am I also going to get to enjoy waiting out his 30,000 MP?

nene. posted:

http://www.justin.tv/cube89 I'm going to stream more FF5 Four Job Fiesta. My first job was Knight! What will my second job be... I hope to find out tonight.

This is supposed to be a challenge run. Knight/Mystic Knight/Ranger is NOT a challenge! You're fiesta-ing wrong!

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

FreezingInferno posted:

My final job setup is Blue Mage/Berserker/Knight/Monk. Boy they weren't kiddin' about hard mode. Blue Magic rocks though, so it helps offset the fact that my classes are all physical. Shame I can't get White Wind though... it would be nice to have some healing.

You can get it- it just requires using the Dancing Dagger and hoping for the confusion dance. I think you may have to wait until world 3 to get the right enemy, though.

Edit:

Xillah posted:

As a man of 5'9" I just want to say heh, I'm bigger than you Cloud :smug:

I can't be excited about this, it will probably be some steam port with a couple of tweaks. If it has an improved translation (with a less stereotypical Barret), or extra content I might be more keen.

Yeah, seems like a bare minimum-effort update of the PC version. Not particularly exciting.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

W.T. Fits posted:

I don't think this would ever happen. One of the major themes of the franchise is that when people die, they're dead for good. In fact, a lot of the plots of the games center around the various villains' attempts to cheat death in way or another.

Hence the rest of Xillah's post. It would keep themes consistent while being a delightful troll on players.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Harlock posted:

Is Berserker really that bad? I just got it to go with my Black Mage.

Fight random battles on Crescent island until you get a Doom Ax (or whatever it's called in your version). It's really powerful for that point in the game, and a lot of bosses are actually vulnerable to instant death.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

MrAristocrates posted:

How in the world am I supposed to beat Liquid Flame with Thief/Berserker?

Another option: kill your berserker before the fight and go in with 3 thieves. Hit LF until it changes to the tornado form (where it only uses spells to heal itself). Wait until it runs out of MP (shouldn't take long). Now whenever it changes back to the tornado, use that time to heal up since it'll just sit there not doing anything. Bring lots of potions.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Oh yeah scrolls! Forgot about those. I think that's actually a really easy party once you get Ninjas. Counts as magic damage too right? So I can grab holy without too much grief.

How about dancer - does swords dance work with dual wield? Dunno how much of that equipment you can get without a thief anyway. Rainbow dress/haste boots/ribbon would be pretty good if you can rely on a good sword dance.

Yeah, pretty sure sword dance and two swords work just fine. Also, you can get all the dancer equipment using a thief knife; it'll just take a little longer. Also, I think most of it can be found in the Rift, if you're willing to wait that long.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

TurnipFritter posted:

I'm trying to decide if I really want Holy and Flare or not. I'm not even sure how I'd have to go about fighting Omniscient with Thief/Mystic Knight/Geomancer/Samurai. Like... !Gaia and hope for the best? Constant Dark Lamp deployment? Wait until he runs out of MP and then use physical attacks?

Supposedly you can Mute Sword Omniscient no problem. It should then be a simple matter of clubbing his face in with Mute Sword. I'm really looking forward to getting an all-purpose useful offensive sword Magic in Flare (although I see myself continuing to use Drain Sword more often).

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

My Knight/Mystic Knight/Berserker/Thief team have made it to the third world. Despite farming 4 Wall Rings, Exdeath gave me a hell of a time. He always used reverse polarity to switch my rows, screwing up my Berserker. I eventually learned to start people in the back row so by the time I was done with setup moves he'd switched everybody to the front row. I put Drain Blade on everyone but my 'zerker, but they all seemed to miss at least half the time. Then he'd spam non-reflectable moves like Earth Shaker, Blaze, Zombie-Breath, Vacuum Wave, etc. until everyone fell down. Once I got past his initial phase and he started using the -aga spells, it was easy town, but that took a good 4 or 5 tries.

I hate the Pyramid in general, but it was satisfying to insta-kill the Mechaheads with Thundaga Sword.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

FreezingInferno posted:

Get the Dancing Dagger in world 2, equip it to whoever, pray you get Tempting Tango when you attack and then pray that the enemy uses whatever magic you're looking for.

It can take a while but White Wind and Mighty Guard are so worth it. Better bring your Berserker in dead though.

He has an actual Dancer, though, so he doesn't have to wait for the dagger. Just Dance! It's not as effective as !Control, since some enemies will never use their skills even when confused, but it's better than nothing.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

TiltedAtWindmills posted:

Do you get a damage boost from casting an elemental spell if you have equipment of the same element equipped in FFV? Example: Casting Aeroga while equipped with an Air Knife.

Well, specifically the item has to BOOST that element. The Air Knife does boost air damage; however, the Fire Sword does not boost fire damage (to my knowledge).

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Moldy Taxes posted:

White Mage, Berserker, and Dragoon.

I imagine you're giving everyone White Magic secondary, and having your White Mage spam healing while the rest put up Shell, followed by Protect (probably ignoring the character with Condemned since they're a goner anyway)? But yeah, that fight's a bitch.

So it's sort of interesting using the Job Fair values to give a numerical ranking to teams. My previous team of Blue Mage/Red Mage/Geomancer/Dancer ranks in at $11, while my current team of Knight/Mystic Knight/Berserker/Thief gets a rather middling $9...

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Ugh, I'm not having nearly as much luck. First time ExDeath used Meteo to kill off two characters and leave a third almost dead just before my Berserker (who was fine, by the way!) landed the killing blow. NeoExdeath finished me off in seconds. After that, I've just been having terrible luck with Grandcross. This last time, it killed two people outright and left my Thief confused to keep hitting my Berserker (who was fine, by the way! Actually she was poisoned). Then Exdeath killed my thief and that was that. Or the time it condemned everybody but one, then he double Vac-Waved that person when everyone else's counter was at 01. What a dick. The one time I left the bottom portion alive for petrifying last, it used Almagest for a total party wipe from full health, and this is with hearty jobs like Berserker and Knight at level 34. 1600+ damage to everyone. gently caress.

Schwartzcough fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Jun 23, 2012

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Kyrosiris posted:

Yeah, unless you have access to Shell, Almagest will hit between 1580 and 1818 damage (doubled if you're wearing Bone Mail), meaning if you want enough wiggle room to throw an Elixir before the HP Leak kills you, you basically need like 1900+ HP on everyone.

That's absurd. I know teams at lower levels with substantially less base HP tank their way through that fight, and doesn't shell only block 1/3 of damage or so? That'd still be 1053-1212 damage or so. Cripes, I don't wanna go grind 15 levels...

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Wow, half? Man, I wish I had me some of that. No, I don't think I have any way of getting that, with Knight/Mystic Knight/Berserker/Thief. Mystic Knights get the Magic Wall at critical health, but that's too hard to set up reliably and I'm not wasting my secondary slots on it.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

HA, suck it!

Fungah! posted:

Break Blade away the Almagest portion first, then focus-fire down the Grand Cross section with Flare Blade. Keep the undead section in the back alive until last and kill him with Odin. The undead section's kind of scary but not nearly as bad as Almagest and Grand Cross can be. The physical section shouldn't be a problem, everyone except the thief can take a hit or two. Good luck!

e: considering that's probably what you're doing already, thought about switching up gear a bit? Hermes Sandals can help you burn down the Grand Cross piece faster, and everything after that should go a lot smoother. Might as well not focus on healing, just burn the bastard down as fast as possible

Yeah, I realized last night that the back portion didn't actually do anything all that threatening, and it was best to leave it for last. I think the biggest change, though, was changing my strategy from offense to defense. Originally I had given the Chicken Knife to my Thief, and just an Enchanter sword to my Mystic Knight, so they could both contribute to damage. Both my Mystic Knight and Berserker had 2-Handed, and my Thief had no shield. Everyone had the haste boots on. But NeoExdeath has too much health to just tear down quickly, especially since only my Mystic Knight could use Flare Sword.

So my new strategy was to go defense in hopes of outlasting hiim. I relegated my Thief to nothing but item use, so she got the attack-blocking dagger, EquipShield, and a Wall Ring (I had read the Delta Attack from the back section was reflectable and could kill any portion of Neo, but I don't know if that's true, since it seemed to hit a dummy target when I reflected it). My Berserker was also given a Wall Ring, and the Earth Hammer and Thornlet for the magic underflow bug Trasson had mentioned (even though she only ended up using the Eartquake attack maybe twice, and spent the rest of the time hitting dummy targets or missing). My Knight and Mystic Knight both got shields and haste shoes, and my Mystic Knight got the Chicken Knife with !Mug. All the extra shields really made a huge difference, and the Wall Rings ended up reflecting several Flares and Holies. So with Hasted Flare Chicken-Blades focused on the top section, I managed to shut it down after only one Grand Cross and all was well after that.

Now, whether to re-reg...

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

PirateNipple posted:

I've never finished FF5 (furthest I've ever reached was either the 3rd or 4th crystal, and that was like 10 years ago) but I just started a run for this Fiesta thing. I might even stream some of it or something!

I rolled Thief. When can I buy some daggers :sigh:

And you can steal Mythril Daggers from the Wyverns in the Water Tower, when you get there. You'll probably need them.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Happy Blue Cow posted:

So I finally got some free time to spend on the Fiesta, and I've ended up with...

:negative:

Does anyone want to give some advice as to how to assign sub commands for this team?

Is DblGrip better than Dual-Wield on these physical attackers? Should I go for DblGrip Axe Berserkers or Dual-Wield Axe Berserkers? Should I be giving EquipAxe/Sword to my Ninja? or EquipSword to my Berserkers instead of using Axes/Hammers? Or something else all together?

I'm really unsure on these types of fine details on which weapon is more ideal. I've never really had to deal with so many physical attackers all at once.

DblGrip is probably better on the Knight, at least later on, since good swords are pretty rare. If you're willing to grind for them in world 1, a pair of Berserkers with 2 Doom Axes each have a pretty good chance of quickly killing anything vulnerable to instant death. Late-game, I guess you could give one Berserker the back-row friendly weapons (Earth Hammer and Thor's Hammer), and give the other one the Rune Ax with DblGrip or something.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

I decided to re-register on normal mode, hoping for something sort of easy and jobfairing to get something different than my past runs. Not that I needed to, because I rolled Black Mage/Summoner/Ninja/Chemist. Talk about loving overpowered, and none of them are jobs I've had before.

And I STILL ground out the money to buy 4 Fire Rings in the first world while doing other stuff today... oh god.

Well, maybe I'll use this team to take down Shinryu and Omega for fun.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Zombies' Downfall posted:

EDIT: And yeah, Tactics is an incredible game as a whole, but I think the job system is actually more imbalanced and hosed up than FF5's. There's also not a lot of reason to bother with it later in the game, because the protagonist and the plot-important NPCs you recruit have incredibly powerful custom classes that make grinding other ones feel like a waste of time.

The special jobs ARE pretty awesome, and certainly beat the Squire class they replace. However, for true game breakage you'll be relying almost entirely on generic classes and their abilities. Mediator Brave/Faith manipulation, Blade Grasp, Two Swords, Draw Out Wizards, Sunken State Dancers, the general brokeness that is Math Skill... sure, you can win the game with Orlandu, but if you want to truly make it cry you'll be using generic jobs.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Wheresmy5bucks posted:

I've always thought that World of Warcraft's Enhancement Shaman is pretty much how a Red Mage should play in an MMO. Short Explanation: Primarily a melee class that is competent at throwing out heals and nukes. Gets an ability that lets them instant cast nuke and heal spells fairly regularly.

Maybe allow casting while meleeing to make it feel more like a melee/magic hybrid and more of an even break to make it feel more red magey.

The Red Mage is pretty much my personal favorite Final Fantasy class and it kind of annoys me how often it gets shafted. The kneejerk reaction to balance is jack of all trades, master of none - but not being a master doesn't mean you gotta suck.

In FF1, it was overpowered to a degree, but it had the fundamentals of proper balance. It was pretty good at melee damage(about 70% of a Fighter), and Lv7 White/Black magic let them be about 70% a mage, given they miss out on some important spells, mostly from the White list. If some of the game's numbers worked right, like Intellect boosting magic, it'd probably be perfectly balanced with white/black/fighter. As is, it's probably the #2 Class after the unstoppable juggernaut that is the fighter.

FF3 nerfs them into the ground by capping their spells at Lv5 out of 8. Their melee doesn't keep up. Useless when you leave the floating continent.

FF5 it's basically a glorified chore job to grind 999 ABP for Dualcast. It's awesome in use for World 1, but is quickly obsolete in a game that's pretty good about not obsoleting classes otherwise.

I played one for a bit in FFXI, never got far, but the plight of the FFXI Red Mage is already well documented.

Alas, Square balances around the awesome hat and they always end up sucking.

If it makes you feel any better, Red Mages are pretty awesome in FFXII IZJS- Not only do they get a good selection of magic from other class specialties (potentially including the top-tier black magic -aga spells), but they get their own line of "Arcane" magic, as well as the usual good equipment selection.

Sadly, you do not get awesome hats.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Vil posted:

Registered for a second run through hard mode, up to Bal Castle in world 2. Gilgabot is suspiciously kind to me: Blue Mage/Knight/Ranger/Chemist. Two overpowered teams in a row is nice, though I was kinda hoping for a bit more challenge this time.

Since I'll actually be able to use both, any thoughts on Brave Blade vs. Chicken Knife with this team?

I'd say Chicken Knife, since you have X-Fight. I just HATE not being able to run away, since many random battles in, for example, the Void, are way more trouble than they're worth.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Berk Berkly posted:

I know most people are doing Fiesta but I wanted to ask about FFXII Zodiac edition, as in has anyone had extensive time playing it?

I know its basically Buy The Strategy Guide: The game, and I can always reference gamefaqs but I want ask goons who know their poo poo whats up.

Right now I'm playing with Breaker, Knight for tanks, White, Black, Red, and Time mages to fill out the rest. I figure that covers all my healing/buff/debuff bases. All the other 'classes' in the zodiac seem to just be various melee/range attackers with little utility.

Stealing seems to be kind of a waste of time. Ditto for Poaching.

Are you just asking for a team rating? That's a pretty good team. Probably a bit light on good item users and Techniques, but most techniques are still pretty terrible so that's fine. So-so physical ranged damage, but you have crossbows with your Time Mage and handbombs with your Breaker. And it doesn't matter since your Black Mage can nuke almost anything. No team can do everything well, which is part of the fun and challenge of adding a job system.

Stealing is good for making money and unlocking stuff in the bazaar (and getting some good equipment off of rare game monsters).

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Yeah I'm honestly not a fan of the Brave Blade, I passed it up with a Knight too in my hard run this year. Knights get a great legendary weapon anyway (+5 Str, holy damage) and Chicken Knife is a good Rapidfire or even Goblin Punch weapon.

There are a lot of ways to use the Chicken Knife. Rapidfire, as you mentioned. Other options: Focus, Mug, Jump, Dance, and with 2-swords when your top weapon is a Double Lance. Probably some I'm forgetting, too.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Berk Berkly posted:

Does getting the "Increases Magic Potency" have any effect on debuffs/buffs like slow or haste?

Are you talking about Magic Lores, or stuff like Serenity? Magic Lores just give you +1 to your magic attack stat, which has a very minor affect on success rates and matter more for damage/healing. Things like Serenity have a much larger effect on success rates (as long as you meet the condition for them to kick in). Things like Haste and Protect never miss, but it matters for negative status spells (and for Lure, which has an annoying tendency to miss).

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

So Chemist: They have a lot of powerful mixes which can come in handy for drawn-out battles, this is true. However, what do people do with them for the rest of the game? With any luck, most random battles can be finished in two or three turns, and it's hard to justify spending even one turn and the necessary items for a protective buff on one character that might not get hit by what you're protecting against. Even many boss battles can be finished in a few turns, and it would take multiple turns to buff your whole team with even one Mix, unless you put Mix on everyone and severely limit your options.

So how do people use their chemists when they're not powering up for Neo-Exdeath?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Kyrosiris posted:

Healing Staff babysitter, personally.

Yeah, this is what I'm doing. Chemist is touted as a game-breaker, but in execution it seems entirely too situational. Like, it would be powerful if you were soloing everything and were willing to have every fight take a long time, but when you're dealing with a whole team it rarely seems worth using. Random battles are over too quickly and most bosses don't give you a ton of turns to buff up. Enemy level manipulation isn't useful without a Blue Mage. So far (about to head to Moore forest in world 2) I've used mine to apply Float once or twice, hold the healing staff, and buff my Ninja +20 levels (and then he proceeded to miss for the rest of the battle, making it pointless).

It'll be great for NeoExdeath, but so is a Bard, and Bards can also slaughter undead. Ah well, I guess as enemies get tougher their healing mixes will get more useful.