Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Terper posted:

e: That said, if someone told me about MGSV's story ahead of time I'd be like "nah fam" so hey anything's possible

This happened about a week before release, right down to the Ahab stuff and I thought it was the fakest, stupidest plot ever and there was no way it could be real.

Funny how things work out sometimes...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

The fact that he's apparently supposed to be some sort of rival to Squall for Rinoa's affection is still a head scratcher to me. Do the two even share a single scene in the game together?

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

She also said she didn't mind making all the weird noises during the battle quotes (cause she's making sounds all the time anyway), so people just get a lot wrong about her in general.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

I think at that point you could just overdrive everything and there wouldn't be a boss fight at all.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Jack Trades posted:

Thanks for the recommendations everyone. It seems like most of you are saying to start with FFX so I'll do just that and then maybe check out FFV and FFXII later.

Are there any common "I wish I knew this before I started" tips for FFX?

Each of the trials has a special item called the Destruction Sphere that's part of the dungeon, but isn't actually required to complete it. If you're interested in getting a pretty important upgrade lategame (along with some plot), make sure you go through the extra effort and use the destruction sphere, along with getting the item it gives you in each trial for using it. Technically you can do this at endgame, but you get a pretty huge punishment for not doing it the first time you're there.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

I'm watching a different LP, but Prompto's main problem is mostly that he never stops talking. Like, every time they go into a dungeon he just never shuts up. His lines aren't particularly bad but christ dude, take a chill pill.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

bloodychill posted:

Like sometimes maybe Goof should take poo poo seriously and pay attention.

Ironically Goofy is the smart one of the group and is constantly trying to keep things on track.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

I used Eiko over Garnet, but I really have to wonder why they felt having two White Mage/Summoners was necessary.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Drakengard 3 had a lot of problems, but it was nowhere near as terrible as 2. Haven't played 1, but if it's anything close to 2, it's also as bad.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

The funny thing about XIII is that it isn't even hard from a design perspective, people were just terrible with it because it was so different. Vanille's English voice actor played a fairly large chunk of the game and was able to learn how switching paradigms quickly was important.

It's still one of the best systems the series has given us though. Shame about the rest of the game.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Mega64 posted:

I still don’t know whether the tutorials were bad or if players were idiots, maybe a mix of both? The game does actually tell you how to do pretty much everything, but I know I managed to miss half of the details and to find the rest out online. Maybe more interactive tutorials, but then the game gets kinda bogged down in the messages to begin with.

It’s the FF7 conundrum. Is it the game’s fault for telling its story so incoherently, or the player’s fault for not paying any loving attention? I’m happy to say it’s half of both, same with FF13’s gameplay, but it’s also something I could easily change my mind one way or the other.

I think it's a conditioning thing. For instance, they teach you how to select skills in the menu in XIII, but playing the intended way means you almost never do that and just use auto battle. I think it's similar to VIII in that some people apparently didn't understand junctions essentially being the equipment system because the idea of using magic for that is so strange.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Serah's White Mage outfit looked really nice, might as well have been her default outfit:

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Barudak posted:

Cid dies about 2/3rd through the game. He is suddenly alive again with no explanation until you unlock some codex entries about 4/5 of the way through the game only to immediately die in the same cutscene.

Its phenomenal.

I'm pretty sure they do explain it away in a cutscene shortly before he gets killed again. Considering when he "died" he just turned to crystal, it's not really that strange to bring him back, but like everything else in that game his character was bad from start to finish anyway so it doesn't really matter.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

The problem with VIII is that it fully committed itself as being about Squall and Rinoa and then forgetting to make the player actually care about their relationship. I remember being baffled at the idea that Squall and Seifer were supposed to be rivals for Rinoa's affection, considering she and Seifer don't share a single scene together until literally the end of the game.

Seifer in general was hard to take seriously since he never accomplished anything and did nothing but lose to Squall the entire game.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

morallyobjected posted:

I mean, there are people who said that the Junction System was hard to figure out but that's not the game's fault

Yeah but XIII spent a lot of time teaching you what your health bar was and how to select abilities (which you almost never want to actually do), it never really drills the idea that switching paradigms is almost the entirety of the battle system. Like, it teaches you how to do it sure, but not that switching them quickly is how you are meant to play the game.

Also it implies Rav/Rav/Com is the way to go when that's a surefire way to take as long as possible.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

The game makes you think pressing auto is the most important part of the battle system, when it is actually changing paradigms. It's actually similar to 12 in that preparation is in some ways more important than the execution, since paradigm makeup entirely determines how your guys act.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Do not use that combo, what you should be using is Rav/Rav/Sab, since Sab does the same thing as both Com and Rav at a lesser rate. You probably want to control the Sab though, because the ai will stop applying the debuffs once they actually stick.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

I've always been a bit weary about that. Since the animation for switching takes time anyway it doesn't feel like you're going much faster.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Barudak posted:

Only the first time in the fight, where time pauses, after that they just do a quick wiggle and move on their merry way. that mandatory paradigm shift cutscene every time you switch for the first time in a battle was a terrrrrrrrrible idea.
The first time sure, but even after that there's a fairly long transition. It's not like say, Lightning Returns where you can actively take advantage of switching mid combo.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

The game spends twenty hours "teaching" you how to play, but doesn't focus on the most important aspects of the battle system. It really feels like it ended up being good entirely by accident.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

BrightWing posted:

Ff 13 replay comment: It's funny just how much better Sazh is in human control. I know blitz spam is op but shredding enemies with it never gets old.

Also i'm forcing myself to not use Light/Fang/Hope like i always do and i think i'm having the easiest time I've ever had. Snow is unkillable effectivly, Vannile has her wonderful debuff access, and Sazh with strength investment and keeping him out of ravager lets him shred foes. I'm enjoying this!

This is the same team I used and I feel like it was much better than the alternative. All three of them are offensive as opposed to the defensive team of Light/Fang/Hope, so you end up killing things a lot faster. Only having one healer wasn't even an issue.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

BrightWing posted:

I would go so far as to say Light/Fang/Hope is the "meta" team. Its got the three highest offensive stat peeps, access to all the roles, all three characters have good animations for what they want to do so no jankiness there (SAZH!!!), it has Fang period, two medics (that's a personal pref thing I know). There's really no reason to NOT use this party. I'm just being stubborn. My biggest surprise right now with my usual bench warmers is how good Snow actually is. His animations are super super fast, so fast he can get ahead of other characters because hes already done with his last attacks and already charging his next ones.

If you're talking during the main game, then you'd use the inverse because Sazh gets haste for one, and his other buffs are offensive. Vanille is your only healer, but her debuffs make the enemy's defenses lower, which means you have double the effect. Snow's... well, his main thing from what I remember was having both Commando and Ravager so he was always useful. Light/Fang/Hope was just really slow and reliable rather than quick and risky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Brother is a creep but to be completely fair to him he doesn't start hitting on Yuna until X-2 which is like 2 years after X. She's 17 in the first game and 19 in the second. Brother hasn't ever been given an official age.

I think the fact that he's hitting on his cousin still makes him a creep