Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Gologle posted:

Just know that the core theme of the game is about having fun with your best friends and that at the end of the day they are the ones who Stand By Me(the player character). It's the only game I can think of where the point of the game has nothing to do with the plot of the game.

I hate these friends and I want them to go stand somewhere else. Is there an option to tell them all to gently caress right off and instead have a road trip with Iris? She's the only enjoyable character so far.

Also, what you've just described can also be considered true of Persona 4, and that does it way better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Oxxidation posted:

you're trying extremely hard to continue playing something that you clearly don't like

it's not going to improve and will in fact get considerably worse

Correction: I'm enjoying the game, I'm just not enjoying the point of the game. These bros are not compelling or enjoyable characters, they talk too much, and Prompto especially is bringing the game down.

The down point I remember people always talking about is the chapter where you're playing Noctis alone with a ring as a weapon (I think it's chapter 13?), and I'm gonna be honest, that sounds like heaven right now.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Help Im Alive posted:

I think the boys friendship is like the one thing everyone likes about XV

e: i love everything about it it's a good game

Why!? Ignis is the only one that's remotely tolerable, and that's mostly because he's quiet and useful.

I'm standing by my call that XV's party is a whole party of the boring characters that I ignore in Persona games. That includes Noctis, but at least I can customize his appearance and he's kinda fun to play.

Barudak posted:

I liked warp striking birds, lighting my friends on fire, being encouraged to have a royal sidepiece by my bodygaurd.

I haven't gotten to that third part, but your general point of 'it's fun to actually play the game' holds true.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
It really doesn't, though. It forgets the important part of likeable party members, which is to actually get you to like them. The real, singular faltering point to me (other than Prompto being annoying and talking too much) is that you don't really meet them to learn and get to know them, because game starts off with everyone already being friends. That means that it never really puts forth the effort to make you like them, because internal to the game's logic and structure that's not needed, since everyone already knows each other. I presume that's all in the anime.

At this point, the character I feel the most connection with and interest in is Iris, and that's because they actually did bother to give a scene up to getting to know her right off the bat. Runner-up is Lunafreya, because her scenes have given me a whole lot of understanding of why she's important, they just haven't really remembered to make her an interesting person in them.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Epi Lepi posted:

Prompto is the best boy, sorry you have bad opinions.

I forget exactly how to trigger the cutscene but go stay in all the motels in the, I want to say, bottom part of the map and after you trigger it tell me you don’t love Prompto.

Oh, I got that cutscene. It's just, at best, too little too late. And doesn't really make him any better.

So, yeah. I got that cutscene, and I still want Prompto to go drown.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Tired Moritz posted:

if you gotta hate someone, why not Gladio

Gladio doesn't talk as much, and during normal gameplay is kinda just in the background; his survivalism thing doesn't force attention to it unlike the cooking and photography. He's neither annoying nor interesting, he's just sorta there, at least until the game decides to highlight that he's a ladies' man, which is my least favorite part of him.

If the FFXV party were in an RPG with a larger cast, like an FFVI or Persona or something, I wouldn't actively avoid Gladio. I'd just always have better things to do than pursue his storyline. Prompto I would actively avoid.

Don't get me wrong, I hate the whole party. I just hate Prompto the most.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Amppelix posted:

It is, in fact, what started the XV discussion this time around.

Although nobody probably watched it. I know I didn't.

It actually didn't, because I started this discussion! I brought up FFXV because I'm actually playing it and getting legit baffled by some of its problems!

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Relax Or DIE posted:

I liked FFXV but I'll admit the Final Fantasy Americana aesthetic hits me just right so I'll overlook a number of problems for it.

There's something really good to be said about how Final Fantasy has made legitimately interesting and non-hackneyed fantasy settings out of so many different origins. It started off with conventional European medieval fantasy, but 6 made sort of an Industrial Revolution fantasy setting, 7 managed to pull high fantasy out of grungy cyberpunk and The Thing, 9 borrowed a lot from Southeast Asia to my understanding, 10 was the Polynesian Post-Apocalypse, the Ivalice games have a Renaissance feel to them, and XV somehow gave a high fantasy jolt to generally modern American countryside, which is interesting, if nothing else.

Sometimes you can definitely feel that they can do better--I think FFXV struggles a bit from a dissonance between the 'fantasy' and 'modern' parts of the setting, like it's just regular-rear end American roads, motels and cars dropped into a Final Fantasy landscape, they could've done better to fantasy-up some of that. But it's not like you can point at someone else and say they were doing it better, because they pick some real off the beaten path aesthetics to take one hell of a swing at.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Oct 2, 2018

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Lessail posted:

let people play the "boring as poo poo" style if that's what they want imo

There's a lot of people who rate games poorly because they go for the boring as poo poo style and it turns out that it's boring as poo poo. So yeah, maybe nudge them towards your intended playstyle if your game's supposed to have one. I know my experience in games with rating systems tends to get improved when I actually go for the playstyle they encourage.

If your game's not supposed to have one, that's an entirely different problem to solve.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
The idea that people even hit the deadlines in Personas 4 and 5 without completing the dungeons is ridiculous to me. I don't even know what kind of playstyle would lead to that. Did people just assume the real endgame was beef bowls?

You don't even need to grind in those games.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
A massive amount of Final Fantasy games have a problem with not really providing feedback that debuffs and status ailments even affectan enemy, much less how much it's doing. Some of them tint enemies a little, but not all of them.

Only in this year's Four Job Fiesta did I learn that Slow was actually a spell worth casting in V, and I never figured out how long it last.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

NikkolasKing posted:

All this talk of buffs and debuffs just makes me think of SMT. The fact i'm playing an SMT game also probably helps.

Is there an FF equivalent to Matador AKA "this is how you play the game and if you don't realize it, you lose"?

(fuckin' love that fight. Everything about it is great from the cutscene beforehand to the fight itself to the fight's music)

XV has that first Magitech walker, the one that ends chapter 2. The first fight that's got enough terrain, reinforcements, and with an enemy with enough targets on it that you REALLY need to start learning how to use the warp strike for maneuverability.

You could argue that the 'wait until they're not defending themselves anymore' from FFs IV-VII count (Mist Dragon, Wing Raptor, Ymir and the Scorpion Tank), but they never really use those mechanics in the game, you're rarely waiting to execute moves in those. That same boss exists in Chrono Trigger where that actually is a big part of the combat, though, if that counts.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

cock hero flux posted:

I don't know who thought it was a good idea for losing all your hp to just put you in an injured state that you can instantly potion out of. It killed the game's whole challenge.

There's a lot of things that 'kill FFXV's whole challenge'. It's a game that could be hard, and is terrified of that and so goes to absurd lengths to prevent it.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

WaltherFeng posted:

I was looking at my old videos and this kinda made want to play FFXV again

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=w222wGt3-Bs

Why couldnt the whole game be more like this

The game's at its best when it's mobile and fast, it only makes sense that it's even better when the enemies are too.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

WaltherFeng posted:

I was looking at my old videos and this kinda made want to play FFXV again

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=w222wGt3-Bs

Why couldnt the whole game be more like this

So, funnily enough, I'm now hitting a consistent crash in this exact quest. The part before it, when you're doing a stealth mission while following around a slow, grumbling rear end in a top hat.

It turns out that the new online functionality on PC crashes that mission. Every single time, for basically everybody. Not sure why, it just does!

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Oxxidation posted:

is there a workaround or is everyone on pc just effed now

You just play that one quest offline, and then re-enable the functionality.

It does mean that nobody's custom avatar can fight Aranea, though, so that's sad.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Bongo Bill posted:

Bravely Default is good; Bravely Second is better.

Second has less interesting optional side-content and superbosses, and I don't like the direction it went with the Celestial Realm (although honestly, elaborating on it at all was gonna ring bad), but other than that it's great.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Renoistic posted:

The games' been as finished as it's ever going to be for a long time, Jesus you guys. The new DLC is only being made because the first three were successful. Just play it if you're interested.

The PC version got new free gameplay additions last month. Sorry.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Dross posted:

Welcome to FFXV's interpretation of random encounters.

See, I considered it as less 'random encounters' because they are very telegraphed, and more like literally the worst possible interpretation of something like Skyrim's dragons.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Kanfy posted:

I'd say the worst possible interpretation of Skyrim's dragons are Skyrim's dragons.

Eh, you can usually see them from some level of distance which means they're theoretically more avoidable. They also turn up way less often, and fights against dragons occasionally approach being engaging fights.

They're both terrible, but I'd say FFXV barely ekes out a 'win' in this one just by being more annoying.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Mega64 posted:

e2: Ahaha one of the spinoffs has the loving Necronomicon as a weapon.

And it's not even the strongest book, which is amazing.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
Well, at least I don't have to boot up that garbage heap again. Aranea died so that we may live, and that's better than we deserve.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Cancel episode Ardyn make episode Aranea you chumps!!!!!

Nope. You're gonna play as a sentient pile of laundry and you're gonna like it.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
If FFX has a singular antagonist, it's the entire religion of Yevonism, and Seymour is the most human face of it; an individual cog in the machine, who knows what he wants and how to exploit the system to get it. I wouldn't say he's corrupt, because the whole system is rotten and deceitful to the core, right back to its inception; he's not even the only guy we see who's using it for their own ends. He's just the one doing that that's targeting our party.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
So it turns out Dissidia NT is actually a pretty fun game, and nobody told me. The only real problem is that match wait times are a bit long and you can't do anything during them, but that's no worse than MOBAs I've played, and the in-game lag is probably roughly on par with Smash Bros.

There's a few at-launch stability issues for the Steam version that I hope get resolved (mine wouldn't start until I reinstalled some C++ redistributables) but otherwise this game's way better than its reputation suggests.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

lobster22221 posted:

I don't know what Black the Black is, but googling it + Tetsuya Nomura found this batman variant designed by him.

He did designs for a few Batman character figures; Batman, The Joker, Harley Quinn and Catwoman. They aren't tremendously fitting for the characters themselves, but they're pretty great designs on their own merits.

The best one is probably The Joker. He's got a crazy amount of variation in his figure, and most of them don't look like The Joker at all, but it would altogether make for a great 'evil scientist main villain in a Final Fantasy game' design.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Mar 17, 2019

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Rirse posted:

Were any of the FFXV episodes any good and what time should I play them during the main game?

I'd personally recommend skipping them unless you really like the characters (if you do, I don't understand how), but there's a bit near the end that they added later that kinda majorly fucks you if you go that angle.

There's three bosses in that last chapter that now force you to play as each of your teammates, so if you didn't play their DLCs you literally have no concept of what you're supposed to do with them outside of a tutorial message dump. There might be a lot of worse design choices in FFXV, but that's probably the part I hate the most because it's so very directly 'making the game worse, after the fact'.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
So far in my time playing Dissidia NT on Steam, I've learned that Snow is apparently the designated 'flex that you have the Deluxe Edition' character. I've been pretty consistently getting online matches and seeing a decent selection (admittedly skewed towards the currently-free characters), except that if I ever see a DLC character it's Snow, without fail.

Also, apparently they added DLC characters into the story mode throughout already-existing branches, which is interesting. I didn't expect to fight Kam'lanaut basically right out the gates.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
I respect FFVIII a lot for trying something weird and new, even if it isn't really to my tastes (a game's not fun to break if it's THAT breakable), because I've always felt that an experimental failure is far more interesting than a boring success. It's something I like about Final Fantasy in general, really; taking weird gambles is part of the series DNA, going right back to the NES.

Hell, I'd say that my least favorite installment in the series, XV, gets that spot because it wasn't trying anything new or weird. It was a bog-standard blending of trends that were proven successes elsewhere, that weren't implemented very well.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Whalley posted:

I mean the cool thing about breaking FF8 is that like, frankly it's kinda boring to do. Contrast with, like, FF12, or for an even earlier game example, FF6, where you 'break the game' by just leaving the console on overnight. I don't know which one's more egregious actually - in FF12, you've gotta get through most of the game, but once you have enough gambits you can set up a little algorithm near a strong mob that spawns smaller things and go to sleep and wake up max level. FF6's easiest 'break' point comes from the river rafting scene before Ultros. Just set cursor to 'memory' and use a controller with a turbo button; you'll be max level next morning.

Eh, grinding isn't 'breaking the game', really, even if you can automate it. That's more just overpowering it, it's way more fun to find a weird quirk of the engine or some combination of moves that cracks it all open. Clever use of tools, rather than dogged persistence.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
For what it's worth, the way they built the current FFVI version means that the Steam release is actually extremely moddable; under the hood it's essentially the Game Boy Advance ROM, and people pretty quickly learned how to work with that. I know you can replace all the character sprites with their SNES versions, and likely more, without too much trouble.

Apparently FFV's release is theoretically capable of the same, but I can't find if anyone's actually done an original sprite mod. Which is a shame, but if one of those two games had to take that hit it's better that it be V; its tone holds together better in that artstyle than VI's, and some of its job sprites actually look better, while VI's is basically a straight downgrade across the board.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
Play any post-GBA version of 2. It's fun, relatively short, and tries interesting things.

It also has Minwu, who's the coolest white mage in the series.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Blockhouse posted:

nothing could have been a more perfect capstone to the massive disappointment that is Dissidia NT than the last DLC character being Snow

People playing Dissidia NT on PC love playing as Snow for some reason. I see no other DLC characters, not even Locke who's just a murder machine, just Snow. So I assume he's popular.

Making him XIII's villain rep and using his Lightning Returns design was an inspired choice, though, I give that a thumbs up.

Seriously, people, give Dissidia NT a swing if you get a chance. Better than Bandai Namco's arena brawlers, at least.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Blockhouse posted:

I mean if we're counting the Gundam Versus series under that banner it's a bit of a spicy take

I haven't played Gundam Versus (sadly I know barely any Gundam, but I would like to, it's up my alley), but it's definitely a lot more engaging and better-designed than Xenoverse and Jump Force. I think part of that might be that with a comparatively small cast, and a wealth of mechanical inspiration, they can come up with a lot of ways to make characters distinct from each other and faithful to their source material.

Also, shout out to the story mode for having the running theme of 'nobody giving enough of a poo poo about Noctis to explain literally anything to him'. There's a few surprisingly nice character moments and interpretations in that story mode, but taking probably the FF protagonist most defined by their in-universe position, replationships and reputation and then dumping him in a world where nobody cares is actually pretty refreshing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
Worst villain is Aldyn.

For all the other weak villains, the flaws come from outside of themselves. Xande has to struggle against essentially being ahead of what tech and Square's writing could deliver at the time. Vayne has to share the spotlight with the rest of FFXII's kinda overstuffed story. Lord Zenos is painted into a corner by the structure and planning meaning he can't actually do anything interesting for most of his screentime.

Aldyn has all the opportunity in the world to be compelling in any number of ways, and squanders all of them.