Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
FFVII has definitely lost a lot of value for the fact that it has aged terribly. More than probably any other FF outside of the first three.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
AHhhh what FFV is now on sale on Android what aaaaaaahhhh *buys it*

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Momomo posted:

The characters act like they're going against fate though, by fighting Bart, when it is literally exactly what he wanted. I still feel like I've missed something there, but I don't think I have, the game really does have the party destroy the world just because.

The "fighting fate" is that they don't destroy Cocoon. The idea only comes to fruition at the very, very end of the game, when Fang and Vanille resist their Focus (the two of them being the real main characters of FFXIII) and save Cocoon instead.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Momomo posted:

That's the problem, their "Fighting fate" is something they had no idea would happen. The team really just went in and destroyed it without any kind of plan, you can't really say that's fighting fate, that's getting lucky.

That isn't them getting lucky. It's pretty heavily foreshadowed that Vanille and Fang were going to truly fight their Focus from the moment you find out that they were Ragnarok at one point.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Momomo posted:

They fought their focus by doing exactly what the bad guy wanted and then risking everyone's lives by holding up Cocoon. It just seems very haphazard when they don't even really know how Ragnarok works.

Also, if Fang and Vanille had this plan, Lightning and the rest certainly didn't.

They all know how Ragnarok works; it's written in history. They just didn't know they were literally traveling with Ragnarok since moment one. The visions they see from Anima are basically what would happen if they did fulfill their Focus -- and destroy Cocoon. In the very end, though, through a combination of Etro's interference and Vanille/Fang's willpower (and, also, the whole power of friendship thing Final Fantasy games typically have), they use Ragnarok to save what it was originally intended to destroy.

And I think it's pretty obvious that Fang/Vanille were on their own track that just happened to coincide with the other four characters. Their purpose, ultimately, was to get Fang/Vanille to that final moment with Orphan, to see if history would repeat itself. Instead, fate was challenged, and Cocoon was saved... at least at first. Cue XIII-2.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Defiance Industries posted:

Except that nobody knows that Etro even exists at that point, so again, the plan is just them bullshitting their way through things. "You went crazy last time but this time you won't because :downs:"

Barthandelus mentions Etro in Chapter 12, and her Gate is omnipresent during the final battle with Orphan.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

You mean the gate that most people don't notice because it's easily confused with being part of the boss, and none of the characters bother to point out? Making that a key part of the story is just another sign that the people who cooked up all this bullshit don't have a loving clue what they're doing.
Barthandelus talks about opening her Gate over and over again. You even see the gate in the final FMV where it briefly closes. They basically hammer it in that it's there.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
Red XIII's multi-hitter is level 2, and it's really weak. The damage multipliers on it are low (5/8th regular damage per hit).

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

The White Dragon posted:

Oh yeah, it's absolutely cool to see. Once, and then never again. And never against bosses.

Nah, Stardust blows. I meant his 3-2, which is basically the same as Yuffie's 3-2.

I think it's because Yuffie's hits 15 times, and at max strength she can do more total damage than Red XIII's Earth Rave which is five hits at double damage, since the cap is 9999.

At max strength, Stardust Ray would do more total damage as well, since it's 10 hits. It's still nothing on Doom of the Living.

Azure_Horizon fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Sep 26, 2013

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
Secretly, life is just made up.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
All this CC talk makes me want to replay it again. loving love that game.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

As much as people didn't like him, I actually loved playing as Lynx. He just looked awesome. As for "the game being a chore to play." What? CC has competent gameplay, and a fine battle system. Say what you will about the story, but it has no problems anywhere else.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

This would be confusing coming from anyone other than the thread's biggest FF XIII apologist. Never stop.

Ah, yes, what a clever rebuttal.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Sorry, everyone loved the gently caress out of Chrono Cross when it came out. It got universally awesome scores across the board. You of all people, who believes FF7 is the best Final Fantasy, should understand that.

I would typically use this defense, but FF8 also received the same treatment upon its release and that game is hot garbage.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Schwartzcough posted:

Yeah, I gotta agree that CC is perfectly playable. It did a lot to streamline gameplay in smart ways, like letting you avoid random encounters pretty easily (generally easier than in even CT), and letting you automatically use healing magic/items after battle to minimize menu crap between battles. Plus, the battle system was a pretty cleverly constructed system encouraging variety between physical and magical attacks, different KINDS of magical attacks (based on varied character elements and the bonuses they got to corresponding magic elements), and even different spell strengths (since you could generally only cast each element once per battle, you couldn't just keep spamming your best spells).

Yeah, the storyline and pacing are a mess in spots, but the visuals, gameplay, and especially music are phenomenal. It's very playable.

Exactly. It's a really accessible game in pretty much all ways and it's weird how little its (at the time) revolutionary gameplay elements have been used since. While FF8 would be its direct contender at the time in terms of big releases from Square, FF8's gameplay was boring and altogether way too easy to break. CC keeps you at a pretty decent level of challenge and I enjoyed its level-capping feature.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

I don't remember this, but I only have my circle of friends to compare this to. Everyone I knew was confused by it. It was an awful followup to Chrono Trigger, and many of them didn't bother completing the game. Perhaps it's just me that considers the gameplay flawed, but I don't know a single person who loved the gently caress out of it.

It was one of the first games to get a 10.0 from Gamespot, and holds a 94 on Metacritic. As for people that I knew, I only really gamed with my best friend at the time and we both played Chrono Cross over and over again.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
We're not discussing how CC was received a significant time after its release; we were discussing how it was received at the time of its release, and CC was almost unanimously praised.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

NewtGoongrich posted:

I just loaded up CC earlier today. Holy poo poo. It still looks beautiful. I can't say that about many games of the PS1 era.

I would say CC, FFIX, and Legend of Mana are the three pillars for most beautiful games on the PSX. CC in particular is just consistently vibrant and gorgeous.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
Are you referring to this cutscene when talking about the Crystarium shackles? A bit of a stretch, but I can see how you'd think that.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
They're not. 13-2 is a much easier game overall, though it still has a few tricky fights available in the post-game, and the DLC fights are harder than anything in FF13.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Barudak posted:

I thought it was beating Orphans final form with 5 stars. Its doable without grinding but you need the right party setup otherwise you can come back.

FFXIII's post game is loving abysmal and insultingly badly designed. By the time you're strong enough to unlock the things which make grinding easier and faster you've already done most of the grinding the game requires of you. I want to like you FFXIII but you're being a total turd about it.

However, Vercengentorix is probably the best boss battle in the entire game.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
I'm really wanting to put some time into FFV Android, but the framerate is hiccuping all over the place, and straight up freezing sometimes. I think I'll wait 'till S-E patches it.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

1st AD posted:

What device do you have? Frame rate is consistent on my 2013 Nexus 7 running 4.3

2011 Nexus S with Android 4.2. I thought the FFV problems only existed with the newest versions. I can run FF: D just fine.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
They fixed nearly all the bugs present in FF1 with the PSX release.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
It is. I don't really know if that's a bug. It feels like it was intended. Or perhaps it wasn't intended, but they left it in because it's neat.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
You say that now, but when you get one of the alternate endings, you'll love Snow.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
It wasn't so much that, but if you wanted any good Esper abilities you did have to grind some serious AP out on Cactuars and poo poo.

Anything to get rid of that would be welcome.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
This is what happens when you eat too many mushrooms.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Barudak posted:

Its from FF8 and yes, they do spell it Kompression because the game has 3 sequential main villains so they ran out of time to give the final boss any sort of interesting character traits and just instead had her have a thick "accent."

Ultimecia was just the worst.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Pesky Splinter posted:

The concept behind Ultimecia and the time travel stuff is okay, I find, it's just not executed very well at all.

No game has done time travel correctly or interestingly since Chrono Trigger, I could easily argue. FF8 breaks its own logic and subverts its own rules of time travel and the Ultimecia business over and over again and just shoots its own plot in the foot.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

It's just an objectively bad idea. It seems like the kind of thing people who write lovely self-insert fanfic do, not people who get paid to do that poo poo. It gives the impression that the writers were threatened by the idea a player might actually like a character more than they do Squall so they wanted to prevent that at all costs.

That was more or less the design philosophy of the characters, actually. Nomura mentioned something about specifically designing Squall and Rinoa to overshadow the rest of the characters.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Crabtree posted:

Sorry to interrupt the redeeming part of FFX chat, but what are the chances SE just coming clean with whatever monster they're currently calling FFXV and release actual hard information about the game in the remainder of this year?

We probably won't see FFXV until 2015 at the earliest. It's going to be one of the longest-developed videogames of all time at this rate.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

HitmanAndQuitIt posted:

Finally up to the "Open" part of FFXIII - is it just me or are the battles now taking even longer than they did already (And that was already too long)?

Or am I just bad :(

Train on the fairy types in the SW portion of the Steppe before moving onto the Behemoth fighting the dog-beast on your way to the next plot point. That'll catch you up to speed, but large chunks of the Steppe will still be too difficult even with capped Crystarium.

Aside: Totally didn't realize Lightning Return's first boss theme is in 11/8 meter. So rare: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zmADlntFoo

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Tempo 119 posted:

I dunno guys, the first one's as gross as you'd expect but after that it's just vaguely-gothic coats and FF references. She's standing in a vaguely-gothic city in an FF game, go figure.

Nah, they're clearly all poo poo for no real reason.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
Yeah, Spirits Within is a huge factor of why VG development has been sloppy at S-E for a decade. I personally still think the film is a massive graphical achievement and still looks great today, but I'm perplexed as to the entire direction they wanted to take with what was clearly supposed to be a Final Fantasy movie. I watched it with family and even they said, "Why isn't this like those games you play?"

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
He really tried to make the FF6 characters as absolutely generic as possible, though.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Zombies' Downfall posted:

I legitimately can't tell who the person standing front and center is even supposed to be. I thought it was Locke, but Locke is above and to the left of him.

It's thought that the character in the middle was cut from the official release of FFVI. There's just no other explanation for who it is.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
Someone took the horribly unfunny The Big Bang Theory and replaced its laugh track with the equally horrid laughter of Tidus in FFX. It works really well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
Every new LR track I hear is phenomenal: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqKRr3RdcPc

Sounds like a classical version of Serpent's Trench from FFVI.