Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Question: when people complain about Nomura's character designs looking terrible, are they thinking of the actual characters or the costumes the characters are wearing?

Because I agree with Dr. Pepper; Nomura's character designs are fine. It's his costume designs post-PS1 that are terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Zombies' Downfall posted:

The costumes are a big part of the character design, though; most of the characters in these games spend 90% of the time in the same outfit and good character designers often use a character's clothing to communicate something about their personality. For a simple example from Nomura's own work, look at the difference in Reno and Rude.

Are you talking about the writing or something? Does he even have anything to do with that?

No, I mean the actual design of like the face, build, posture, hair, etc. Like Dr. Pepper was saying earlier, even though Tidus's outfit is horrible to look at, if you were to see the character in silhouette, you'd still be able to look at it and go, "Oh yeah, that's Tidus from FFX."

Though in some cases, his hair designs are just as terrible as his costume designs. Case in point, Seymour.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

pw pw pw posted:

His character designs are just 'blonde gackt', or sometimes just 'gackt'.

If you looked at a naked tidus next to a naked vaan, you would have absolutely no way of knowing which was which.

Well, for starters, I could look at their faces, which are pretty distinct from each other, even accounting for that weird racial shift Tidus goes through in FFX when the game transitions from in-game models to FMV land. (Also, Vaan wasn't a Tetsuya Nomura design, for what it's worth.)

e: f, b on the Vaan not being a Nomura design thing.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

I still can't wrap my mind around the argument of:

Squall takes a severe wound from a magical attack in a world where magic is a real thing and the only possible explanation for him suddenly magically being healed with no signs of a wound is, "HE'S REALLY SLOWLY BLEEDING OUT AND EVERYTHING FROM THAT POINT ON IS A HALLUCINATION HIS DYING MIND MAKES UP BECAUSE SQUARESOFT WAS TOTALLY REFERENCING SOME SHORT STORY I ONCE READ IN MIDDLE SCHOOL AND IT'S MORE SYMBOLIC AND DEEP AND MEANINGFUL THAN THE STUPID ORPHANAGE PLOT TWIST AAAAAAHHHHHHH" :byodood:

No. Just no. He was injured, then healed magically offscreen. It wasn't ever shown in-game because the people making the game more than likely assumed the audience would be smart enough to remember, "Oh, right, healing magic," and move on from there.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Azure_Horizon posted:

Except nowhere is it shown where he was healed

And it shouldn't have to be if you can be assed to remember that magic healing exists and logical enough to extrapolate that conclusion on your own. I would rather have the game developers assume I'm smart enough to draw a simple logical conclusion than have them assume I'm dumb enough to need every minor plot detail explained away because otherwise "OH MY GOD THIS MAKES NO SENSE".

The game's pacing is already atrocious. Do you really need an extra five to ten minute scene of Edea monologuing as she or one of her goons casts Curaga on Squall before cuffing his unconscious rear end and dragging him off to prison?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Azure_Horizon posted:

It would take all of two seconds, which is how long it took for Selphie to heal a Moomba following the scene. It would have been better than Squall having a ridiculous dumb-sounding inner monologue about his wound... no wound... ?!!

Or you could, you know, use your brain to figure out that someone must have healed him off camera. Maybe even use in-game evidence to support that it's possible for people to be healed by magic outside of combat. Like, say, by a two-second scene of Selphie using Cure to heal a Moomba.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Azure_Horizon posted:

Like someone else pointed out, if Squall can't even figure out how he got healed, then why should we infer anything?

Because then your laziness just makes you come across as being stupider than Squall. He didn't think of it because it wasn't important. You're deliberately choosing not to think of it because he didn't.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Azure_Horizon posted:

Because a character in-game should be able to recognize some semblance of the universe's logic, ESPECIALLY when another character proceeds to Cure someone else five minutes later.

It's not important for Squall to recognize it, as long as the player understands it. They choose to convey the information by having Selphie heal the Moomba because it gives her something to do in the next scene while Quistis and Zell are talking about other poo poo. That way, the player gets both an explanation for why Squall's not dead at the same they get exposition about other stuff that's happening.

In other words, they used a storytelling technique ("show, don't tell") to fill in the plot hole you think is there, but you're just too hellbent on hating on the game to recognize it. Did they do a poor job of utilizing this particular technique? Of course they did, they utilized poor storytelling techniques throughout the game. That doesn't invalidate the fact that they conveyed the loving information required for you to figure out how Squall survived, and if you continue to choose not to recognize that, then you're just being willfully obtuse out of spite for the game.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Pesky Splinter posted:

How else did they manage to poo poo out XIII-2 in 18 months?

I honestly think FF XIII-2 is Motomu Toriyama trolling the gently caress out of everyone who complained about FF XIII's linarity and railroading.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Himuro posted:

Fellow Final Fantasy XII fans:

Fake or not fake?

Interesting if true. Where'd you find this?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Schwartzcough posted:

I forget; did the game explain why she wanted PINK hair (or dyed it pink) instead of something normal like, I dunno, black or brown, or since we're talking Ivalice, blonde? If you're trying to cover the shame of your weird hair color, I don't think dying it hot pink is the way to avoid attention.

I think it was meant to be red, and it just ended up looking pink in the game due to the color palette used.

Alternately it's pink because her hair is naturally white, and she dyes it red, so white + red = pink.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Krysmphoenix posted:

Back to the Four Job Fiesta thing, I have a question on the rules. Can you (and I assume you're supposed to) use abilities you've mastered in one job and attach them to another job? Or whoever you assign to your available jobs has to be "pure" and can't take any unusual abilities.

Yes, you can give your Berserker Equip Harps so that he can unleash the power of rock with his Rune Axe more effectively.

Shaezerus posted:

Equip Harps lends to you the power of rock.

So if you give that to a Berserker, but not actually give it a harp...

I think I get it now.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Nope, no level cap.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Since this is pretty much my normal way of playing FF5 anyway, I went ahead and signed up for hard mode.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

if you give a character Barehanded not only are his punches as strong as a Monk's, but he gets a monk's attack and defense stats as well. If your stats are already higher it doesn't give you anything though.

Barehanded only passes along the Monk's Strength stat. Doesn't pass along any defensive bonuses.

My past experience with the Four Job Fiesta games:

Knight/Summoner/Ninja/Samurai: I lucked out my first time through and basically got Team Easy Mode. Knights were more than adequate to make it to the Water Crystal, and after that, Summoner, Ninja, and Samurai just steamrolled everything with massive multi-target damage. First time I ever beat FFV was with this team.

Black Mage/Time Mage/Ranger/Dragoon: Team No Healing. Really only had trouble towards the end against Neo Exdeath and even then I managed come up with a strategy that let me take him down easily. (And then was later informed that I could have made things much easier on myself than I did. Oops.)

Monk/Time Mage/Ranger/Chemist: Team Curbstomp. Did this combination after someone in the previous megathread mentioned giving up on the Fiesta partway through Galuf's World with this combination because it wasn't doing enough damage or something. Beat Neo Exdeath with no problems. Mix is your friend.

Blue Mage/Mystic Knight/Beastmaster/Dancer: Just wanted to try these classes out, didn't actually roll for them. Pretty fun though. Haven't finished the game with this group yet.

White Mage/Time Mage/Bard/Chemist: Team Squishy, as I initially dubbed them due to their light armor, was far less squishy than initially anticipated. They have minimal offense (Holy, Comet, Meteo, and Requiem against undead), but good god are they tough to kill. Haven't finished the game with this group yet.

Thief/Berserker/Geomancer/Dancer: Team No Magic. And yes, that's taking into account the Geomancer since !Gaia doesn't work against Omniscient. (For those who are curious, it takes around 6 hours or so for Omniscient to work through his 30k MP.) Currently at Neo Exdeath, but haven't been able to finish him off yet. Need a few more levels so my Thief and Geomancer can live through an Almagest long enough to get the Dancer back on her feet.

Also, I have to give the Berserker some credit. It's really not that bad of a job overall. It's just easily outshone by practically any other melee-based job in the game.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Yep. If you go to the site's Help page and click on "Example" it mentions it there.

quote:

A character need not remain one class exclusively. For example, if Bartz is the Berserker and Krile the Beastmaster, you can swap Bartz to the Beastmaster and Krile to the Berserker at any time. Unlocked sub-skills can be used with any other job.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Hedera Helix posted:

But... Time Mages can cast Regen, and Dragoons can use Lancer. They're not ideal methods of healing, but they're still methods of healing. :confused:

Eh, I just consider them too inefficient in terms of healing power. Much easier to just kill everything as quickly as possible so that I don't have to worry about healing in battle.

And that team was very, very good at killing things quickly. So it wasn't so much "Team No Healing because my healing options suck" as it was "Team No Healing because stuff dies too fast for it to matter".

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

That last one looks like a pain in the rear end and I never would have finished it

Actually would have beaten it earlier today if I had paid a bit more attention to how much damage I'd already done to the last two of Neo Exdeath's sections and gotten them both down together. Otherwise, the fight went pretty smoothly for the most part.

Even ran into an odd bit of luck while burning through the Magic Lamp to try and get Golem up after using Odin to eliminate the back section. Shoat popped up, I expected him to disappear with no effect, but nope! Demon Eye goes off and suddenly Neo Exdeath's sprite turns grey for a moment. I go to attack him, and he's down to only two sections remaining instead of three.

Turns out that Neo-Exdeath's lower front section (the part that casts Almagest) is vulnerable to petrification.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Bargain bin Laden posted:

I completely forgot about the rod, thanks a ton. Now to actually go beat him.

Edit: And yes, Galura counters everything but he does his Rush attack which drains health until death far too often.

Edit 2: My rolling a die method has netted me Berserker, wooo

Wooo indeed. That's actually a pretty good combination for the end-game. The Rune Axe does more damage with a high Strength and a high Magic stat. Berserkers are third behind Monks and Knights for Strength, and Black Mages are right behind Summoners for highest Magic. (I'm not counting the GBA exclusive jobs since those aren't used in the Fiesta.)

Give your end-game Berserker the Rune Axe, !Black Lv. 6, and watch the :black101: unfold.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Soylent Heliotrope posted:

I just beat 6 again after not playing it for a couple years, and I actually completed all of the endgame sidequests for the first time. Most of the game was a lot more fun than I remembered, but part of this playthrough involved actually doing the Cultists' Tower without using the Moogle Charm to get around all the random encounters. That place is a horrible slog of a dungeon and I can't imagine who thought it would be fun to play. First off, there are no save points, even though the random battles are dangerous (enemies can cast Meteor and Quake on your party) and take forever if you decided to tackle the dungeon without Ultima. Second, its level design reeks of :effort:. Going through the same screen repeated over and over again- especially when you have to do the trek twice- is dull as hell and is exactly what soured me on 8. Third, restricting the player to only magic is uninteresting game design if it comes at a point in the game where all of your characters (and especially the mage-oriented ones) aren't going to have a lot of differences between their spell pools.

Really though I'm just frustrated that that dungeon took me an hour longer to beat than Kefka's Tower did. :smith:

Take Umaro with you the next time you run the Fanatics' Tower. Umaro gives no fucks about the "magic only" rule. Granted, it's not like he's insanely overpowered/broken in there, but it's still nice to be able to give that dungeon the finger by ignoring its gimmick on at least one character. v:shobon:v

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Can't wait for the Four Job Fiesta to begin. Just made another attempt on Neo Exdeath with my Thief/Berserker/Geomancer/Dancer team.

I think I'm about as ready for Hard Mode as I can be.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Barudak posted:

Want to ride an airship? That'll be about 1 million gil in a game where 200k could buy really, really nice equipment.

Why would you pay that much when you could just get some friends together and blast through the Rank 4 mission for your nation and get a free airship pass?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Schwartzcough posted:

Or even earlier, depending on when this guy finishes his playthrough:
http://www.letsplaying.com/FF5FF/rkrun.php

But then people went and voted him a Blue Mage with no Beastmaster (probably one of the most time-consuming jobs) and Berserker. So it may not be a quick run.

Could be worse. At the moment he's got Blue Mage/Berserker/Ranger/Dragoon. Back when things were just starting up it looked like he was gonna be stuck with Thief/Red Mage/Bard/Dancer.

Dragonatrix posted:

Speaking of Berserkers, I just compared the amount of money raised thus far to the amount of players under "Berserker Risk." Everyone under that is guaranteed at least one already, and 4 particularly unlucky individuals are granted 2 of them. I can't say I'm particularly envious of those people.

What's the donation count at? Last few times I've visited the main site, the Chip In bar only said $502, and there's 69 people doing Berserker risk.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Hedera Helix posted:

So what happens if someone gets four Berserkers, say through a combination of hard mode and Berserker risk?

The way the challenge is set up, even with Berserker Risk, you still get at least 1 Wind Crystal job. So at most, you'd wind up with only 3 Berserkers.

That said, if anyone actually winds up with 3 Berserkers, I pity them greatly. 1 Berserker is tough, but manageable. I don't even want to imagine the hell of having 3 Berserkers. Especially if you wind up with something like Thief as your Wind Job.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

axes ignore enemy defense

Not entirely, but they do ignore 3/4 of it, which is still pretty good assuming you hit.

divide by zero posted:

Second, it's stat modifier for strength isn't anywhere near as high as it should be, for a class that only hits things. Next is axes, something rather unique to the class, which are inaccurate and I believe have a large fluctuation of damage, like 70%-130% variation.

50% to 150%, actually. And Berserkers actually have the third highest Strength in the game (Knights are second place, and Monks and Gladiators from the GBA bonus stuff are tied for first). But Bersekers also get a 1.5 boost to their weapon's attack stat before the damage multiplier is applied.

I'd show off how the math involved works, but I doubt anyone here is interested in a post that :goonsay:.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Evil Fluffy posted:

Someone willing to sign me up for the fiesta (hard mode)? I'd setup a twitter account for it but :effort: as I wouldn't make any other use of it.

Honestly, it doesn't take long to set up a Twitter account for this, and I'm not planning on using mine for anything beyond this either.

But if you're really not feeling it, you could always just use Random.org to roll randomly for your jobs using the following list:

1. Knight
2. Monk
3. Thief
4. White Mage
5. Black Mage
6. Blue Mage
7. Mystic Knight
8. Red Mage
9. Berserker
10. Summoner
11. Time Mage
12. Beastmaster
13. Ranger
14. Geomancer
15. Bard
16. Ninja
17. Samurai
18. Dragoon
19. Dancer
20. Chemist

Just roll 1-6 for the Wind Crystal, 1-11 for Water, 1-16 for Fire, and 1-20 for Earth. (I tested it a minute ago and it came up with 4, 8, 9, and 5 in that order. Now that would be an interesting challenge.)

For those who want to just do a regular mode run, just do 1-6 for the Wind jobs, 7-11 for Water, 12-16 for Fire, and 17-20 for Earth.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Looking at the current votes for his jobs, he's stuck with Blue Mage/Berserker/Geomancer/Dragoon at the moment. Ranger was in the lead for awhile there, but someone out there apparently decided to be a jerk and give Geomancer a push.

So much for any chance of everyone getting to start early. :sigh:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Four Job Fiesta begins in about 17 hours, 12 minutes.

RK's current progress: he's on the Big Bridge after escaping Castle Exdeath at the start of Galuf's World.

Party composition: Blue Mage/Berserker/Bard/Dancer

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Happy Blue Cow posted:

EDIT: speaking of despair from RevenantKioku's stream (Blue Mage/Berserker/Bard/Dancer)...

"Trying to learn White Wind [Blue Magic] so they used Pond Chorus [Frog Song] on the berserker to stop him from killing the enemy. Death Sickle Axe's instant death proc activates when the frog'd Berserker attacks. Thats got to be a run highlight."

:allears:

I was watching the stream when that happened. poo poo was hilarious.

Wheresmy5bucks posted:

Is it forbidden to stab your beserker to death midfight?

I know it's in spirit to keep them alive and at full health, but 3 on 1 beatdown to stop him not allowed?

I don't think anyone would begrudge you if you were trying to learn a given Blue Magic spell, since that's what RK ended up having to do to learn White Wind.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Winks posted:

What is considered the best version(s) of FFV anyway?

The GBA version is considered the best version.

The PSX version suffers from assorted bugs depending on what you're trying to play it on, has a poorly translated script (Wyvern translated as Y-Burn being one of the most egregious examples), and annoying load times every time a random encounter starts up.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Evil Fluffy posted:

So the only advantage for the GBA version is the translation? Wasn't there a patch that gives the GBA version the SNES version's sound/music, so you had the good translation and good music or would that stuff fall under :filez: even if it's to avoid having to get out a PSX CD for this?

Having fun watching the stream and have no idea what's going on since I can't read Japanese. :japan:

He just got the key item you need to get into the Forest of Moore, which is the second to last dungeon in the second world.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Gilgabot posted:

@WT_Fits can now use the Wind Job 'Blue Mage'. Time to fight a whole lot!

Sweet. Time to go get beat up by monsters!

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

For those of you getting stuck with Thief, don't despair! Granted, you have a slow start, but once you get to the Fire Ship, you can farm Hi-Potions by stealing them from Poltergeists. The rest of us have to wait until the second world to buy 'em.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Gilgabot posted:

@WT_Fits can now use the Water Job 'Summoner'. Side quest time!

Looks like I have a date with a lady back in Walse Castle. :smug:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Attitude Indicator posted:

Jesus Christ, you guys are fast. This challenge is going to take me months. Speaking of which, what's the time limit on this thing?
Also, I got Blue Mage. Could be worse I guess.

You have until the end of August.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Gilgabot posted:

@WT_Fits can now use the Fire Job 'Ninja'. Now everyone has two weapons!

3/3 on actually getting jobs from each Crystal despite Hard Mode. Wonder if I can actually get an Earth job from the Earth Crystal?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Also, there is a monster that you can steal Elf Mantles from.

But it's in the Phoenix Tower, after the worlds merge. And it's a rare steal, too.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Attention those who are unhappy with their jobs!

You can now use Gilgabot's Job Fair to change your jobs to something less painful!

But to use this service, you gotta donate money based on which jobs you're switching to.

quote:

If you would like custom job sets or just want to get rid of monk who you have started with every, single, fiesta, this is for you! We do ask that Hard Mode players not use the Job Fair. Feel free to use the jobs once you change them, but do be aware that not donating would be really, really uncool. The official player page will not be updated until your donation is confirmed. We appreciate your help and donations. Why ask for donations to change jobs? Well, the spirit of the fiesta is to have the job sets be random. But we also want you to have fun. If Thief/Berserker is really stopping you from enjoying the fiesta, a small donation to change it up isn't all that terrible, right? Remember, it's all for Child's Play!

REMEMBER: You can only use those four jobs. That includes skill. If you used White Mage but changed it to Blue Mage you cannot use any skills from the White Mage job.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Gilgabot posted:

@WT_Fits can now use the Wind Job 'Thief'. No passage will remain hidden!

So much for my dream of potentially getting one job from each Crystal. :negative:

... on the other hand, Twin Lances and Genji Gear! :woop:

Final team:

Blue Mage/Summoner/Ninja/Thief

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Schwartzcough posted:

So I got

Knight (not bad!)

Mystic Knight (YEESSSSS!)

Berserker :negative:
There seem to be a LOT of Berserkers this year, even on hard mode with no Berserker Risk.

So hey, people with detailed mechanics knowledge- does 2-handed increase the damage of spellblade attacks?

Yes.

Damage in this game is determined by (Attack - Defense) * Multiplier.

Two-Handed doubles your Multiplier, which for Swords is (Level*Strength)/128 + 2.

Spellblade does various things depending on the element you use and the target's weaknesses and resistances.

If you use Flare, it straight up adds 100 to your Attack, and quarters the target's defense (Attack+100 - Defense/4).

If you use an element the target Absorbs, their defense is treated as 0 and the attack heals them.

If you use an element they're immune to, the attack automatically misses.

If you use an element they take half damage from, your Multiplier is halved (M/2).

If you use an element they're weak to, it depends on the spell in question.

Fire, Ice, Bolt, and Venom doubles your Attack and treats their Defense as 0 (Attack*2 - 0).

Fire 2, Ice 2, and Bolt 2 triples your Attack and treats their Defense as 0 (Attack*3 - 0).

Fire 3, Ice 3, Bolt 3, Bio, and Holy will just straight up instantly kill the target if they're weak to it and not Heavy. If they're weak to it and have the Heavy type, then it quadruples the Attack power and treats their defense as 0 (Attack*4 - 0).