Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Oxxidation posted:

Assuming the character models and voice acting don't make you want to sic an old priest and a young priest on your DS, that is

Too much N64 time makes one immune to that sort of thing, really. 4 is one my favorite Final Fantasies (along with 8 and 13/13-2, which is why I'm not allowed to voice my opinions on the series very much), and 4 DS was almost perfect because you still went through all the motions of the original, but they rebalanced the combat to actually be challenging. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Happy Blue Cow posted:

I just thought about it... I think my very first Final Fantasy was... Mystic Quest. :staredog:

There's not a drat thing wrong with that. :colbert: I am proud to say I started with that game.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

p.crestmont posted:

After VII the FF in game art started a Descent into Anime. It had reached a low at Seymour's awful hair and Tidus' pants-like apparatus in X, then XII almost started to dig out of it in a different direction, but XIII just rocketed back into the abyss.

Wait, what? 13's art was actually pretty good. I can't think of anyone who's wearing something as outlandish and retarded as Tidus's outfit. Maybe Vanille and Fang, but even then there's a good reason they're dressed like that, and Fang kind of makes it work.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
I think Caius's sword is hilarious because they could not have tried any harder to rip off Soul Edge, regardless of if it was intended or not.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

This Jacket Is Me posted:

It's part of the reason that I'm not so interested in FF13-2, because without decent character interactions, I really don't see how I can get through 80 hours of FF13.

Good news then, 13-2 is short as hell. I hosed around a considerable amount and still beat the game in about 35 hours.

E: VVV You could probably chop 5-10 hours off that total easily. If you ignore everything that's not the main plot, you can probably take it down to 20-25.

Artix fucked around with this message at 15:16 on May 22, 2012

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Winks posted:

If I remember right you don't even unlock the entire battle system until Pulse.

You unlock the ability to make everyone every job in Chapter 10 (the chapter before you go to Pulse) and you get the last Eidolons in Chapter 11 on Pulse. I'm not positive, but I think you get the whole "choose your own party" thing along with letting everyone be everything, but it's been a while since I've played 13. Regardless, yeah, it's either at or right before Pulse you have full access to everything in the battle system, though to be honest, once you get everyone's main three roles, you have as much of the battle system as you really need.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

p.crestmont posted:

This is an important point I am ignoring, sorry about that. Play XIII-2 maybe? I heard it's better than XIII? If not go ahead with XIII, wasting a few hours to decide it's terrible and trade it in isn't a big deal. I lived through it.

The opening scene of 13-2 is the final cutscene of 13, so that may not be the best idea if you haven't played 13. 13-2 is better in some ways, worse in other, but on the whole it is a general improvement.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Pesky Splinter posted:

And everytime someone says FFXIII had good moments, SE asks Yoko Taro to torch an animal shelter.

If his games are anything to go by, he doesn't need any encouragement. :v:

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Barudak posted:

I would have had zero problems with paradigm shifting if it had been automated. Instead, 90% of the battle functions are optimized and streamlined except one and its not exactly a thrill a minute to do. That and the game's stubborness towards letting you actually use that system for like 20 hours sours most people.

How could you possibly automate paradigm shifting? And furthermore, what would be the point? You'd almost need to set up a Gambit-like system, at which point you might as well be playing FF12 instead.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

PhilippAchtel posted:

Quite simply, you could make "auto-battle" happen on a loop. And why not? 95% of the gameplay in FFXIII is choosing the right roles at the right time. Playing manually by inputting commands is useful in certain circumstances, but not in the vast majority of situations.

Auto-battle has nothing to do with paradigm shifting, though? Autobattle is the game picking from a the list of available commands; Paradigm shifting is you telling the game which list it's allowed to pick from. You could (arguably should) automate the former. You can't possibly automate the latter without going into crazy gambit setups.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Pesky Splinter posted:

There's nothing wrong with enjoying the game, but there's also recognising where something fails or is lacking for the player playing it.

Yeah, it still boils down to opinion, but as long as the person can explain why it's flawed for them or why they enjoy it, that's all that matters.

That's fine too, but a lot of time I see people going "WHAT THE gently caress IS WRONG WITH YOU, FF13 IS SPAWNED FROM SATAN HIMSELF AND LIKING IT MEANS YOU ARE A TERRIBLE PERSON WHO HATES ALL GOOD VIDEOGAMES AND HERE'S WHY:" There's no problem with saying why you do/don't like a game, but at least be civil about it. Regardless of your personal opinion, FF13 is not the worst game ever made, it did not ruin Final Fantasy forever, or any other bullshit hyperbole you want to throw around.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

der juicen posted:

So I'm at the end of the airship thing with the Sanctum ruler on board. :suicide: Only tried it once, got him below half health, then he blew me up or whatever. So far it's been a pretty fun experience.

Also, a secret about that boss (if you haven't already beaten him). When he starts charging up that super attack, and every logical fiber in your body is screaming to heal up and get as many Sentinels as you can on the field? Ignore them, go :black101: on his rear end until you hear him grunt, and you'll literally reduce the damage of that attack by about half.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Winks posted:

FFVII PC has been rereleased. It's not in any way a remake, it's basically just the original PC release updated to work on modern hardware and OSes. It's :10bux: from now until Sept 12th.

NA: https://na.square-enix.com/finalfantasyvii
EU: https://store.eu.square-enix.com/emea_europe/pc-windows-download/FINAL-FANTASY-VII.php

So have we found anything really terrible like Ubi-style DRM, or is it just the original cleaned up a tiny bit? If there's nothing appalling about it, I'll probably pick it up. Worst case scenario, it can just be modded and fixed up a bit.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
So is it safe to assume that not much, if anything has changed under the hood from the original PC release? Like, existing mods should work more or less perfectly? How about fixing the minigame timing, do we know if that's been tinkered with?

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Vil posted:

While we're on a music kick, I feel obligated to mention that while Mystic Quest had gently caress-all going for it in many regards, it had some goddamn fantastic songs.

:hfive: Mystic Quest is my SNES guilty pleasure. I could listen to that poo poo all day.

E: For shame that you didn't link to the Lava Dome.

Artix fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Sep 11, 2012

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Is that a Black Mage Chocobo? :psyduck:

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Tempo 119 posted:

The Sazh and Lightning scenario things are pretty good minigames.
The Lightning one takes place after the main story, so beware spoilers.

Don't buy DLC clothes, you're better than that.

Take whatever coliseum characters you like the look of, but if you're not a power gamer keep in mind that they're all post-game strength (except maybe Lightning/Amodar).

I'll give one caveat to that, and that's you should buy Serah's White Mage outfit. It's a thousand times classier and better designed than just about everything they've put out for her. Also, Sazh's DLC is playing minigames over and over, but that's okay because Chronobind is seriously the best minigame I've seen in years.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

GoGoGadget posted:

Anyone know if the digital download of FFVII on the Square-Enix website has and improved translation or is it just "polished" graphics and achievements?

http://store.na.square-enix.com/store/sqenixus/en_US/pd/productID.250845500/categoryId.57606100/parentCategoryID.16256100#.UGSJjY3iZDF

It's the original PC version. Marginally better translation than the PSX version, but not by a whole lot.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Dr Snofeld posted:

Is FFIVDS actually an enjoyable version? It quite appeals to me but all I hear about it is how much harder it is, which I take with a grain of salt because FF games tend to be easy anyway aside from some ridiculous bosses, and FFIV already had Easytype.

It's my personal favorite version of the game, but it is indeed actually hard. If you're familiar with SMT-style difficulty (ie random encounters can wipe you if you're not careful, buffs/debuffs are basically required, etc) it's pretty similar to that. The Augment system basically lets you break the game in half by the end, but you'll basically need to follow a guide to get the most out of it.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Evil Fluffy posted:

A combat system like in Tales of Graces.

If you're going to cite a Tales game, at least cite the one with the best combat system.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Ross posted:

I have heard that FF13-2 is "good" yet it has an even lower score on Game Rankings than FF13. What should I make of this?

I really liked 13 so I'll probably pick it up for all of $20 regardless.

Nothing. 13-2's difficulty curve is pretty hosed (as in, it's really easy to get way ahead of it and make the entire game a joke going forward), and the plot is trying really hard (and failing) to be Chrono Trigger, but the battle system has been tuned up and you have a lot more freedom in what you do and where you can go at any given time. If you liked 13, definitely pick it up.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

TL posted:

Any idea why they didn't just put him in charge of XIV in the first place?

I believe the story was that the guy who was responsible for XIV 1.0 was taken off XI to make XIV in the first place, and the guy now in charge of XIV 2.0 was put on to XI at that time. XI suddenly became good and XIV was an absolute flop. So they took the new guy off of XI to make XIV 2.0, and gave XI back to the old guy who proceeded to gently caress it up again and eventually quit/get fired.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Johnny Cage posted:

I just finished XIII and absolutely loved it, maybe because I haven't played a JRPG in years and it brought back all sorts of good memories, and it probably had my favorite battle system of any of the FFs. I felt like some of the normal enemy fights in the last dungeon were harder than the last bosses themselves.

I started XIII-2 tonight and the intro has me a little... worried. The story seems like it's going to be a groaner but if the battle system/gameplay holds, that's fine.

Well, there's good and bad news. The good news is that the battle system is back with some enhancements (the stupid "We're changing paradigms!" scene the first time you change in battle is gone, and you can specify "cross" or "wide" versions of paradigms to have the team focus on one enemy or spread and and go with AoE attacks respectively), and if you're a fan of Numbers Going Up™ the monster system lets you break the game over your knee. The bad news is that as a direct consequence of the latter, it's very easy to get overleveled and plow through the game without much consequence, especially if you like doing optional areas as soon as possible.

Also, the story is dumb and can basically be ignored. Basically, Square is going for Chrono Trigger: Final Fantasy edition and it doesn't really work.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Zombies' Downfall posted:

He just said he finished XIII and loved it! I consider this a kind of apples to apples comparison.

I think the actual play of XIII-2 is much more fun. It feels like an actual videogame.

Uh...what? I don't get what you're getting at here. Regardless of what you felt about 13's story, 13-2's is definitely worse paced, a dumber pretense, the characters are worse, and the ending is a blatant cliffhanger compared to 13. He said the story was a concern, and I'm saying that it's worse.

I absolutely get what you guys are saying, but I feel like even having the possibility of that problem makes it a better game. FFXIII had a combat engine with great potential and a few good characters, and everything else about it was the distilled essence of why people claim to hate JRPGs: more cutscene than gameplay, linear without even offering the illusion of choice, and a lot of inexplicable story details despite 50+ hours of dialogue for clarification.

It feels like a quick-turnover sequel that was rushed to the market or something, except I know it was in development for ten thousand years.

The problem isn't that you can break 13-2's combat, the problem is that you can do it without even trying. I tamed a behemoth as soon as I got to the area where you could, because who the gently caress wouldn't? By the time I had one, I was ahead of the combat curve for the next two or three areas, easily. And then again when I started finding colored chocobos and at that point I cruised right through the end of the story without even trying.

Artix fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Dec 3, 2012

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

1st AD posted:

Has there ever been another game like this where they completely lifted the gameplay mechanics of a prominent JRPG? Even the look of the world map is exactly like FFX (i.e. linear paths with a map overlay, no open world to explore).

Admittedly it's taking the mechanics of a game from ~12 years before its time, but you'd be hard pressed to find a more faithful Chrono Trigger clone than Black Sigil: Blade of the Exiled. It's a shame, because by virtue of using Chrono Trigger's mechanics it played really well, and the plot was actually kind of interesting. It was glitchy as gently caress though, and the encounter rate was loving ridiculous so a lot of people hated it.

Artix fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Dec 4, 2012

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Johnny Cage posted:

So I'm a few hours into a XIII-2 and it's pretty much what I expected: solid gameplay with horrifically bad characters/story.

So Snow spends XIII being that ~*~*~MY GIRLFRIEND~*~*~ guy, but then just peaces out for a year to find Lightning for Serah? Alone. Yeah.

Also, not being able to see the Crystarium path is really annoying.

I'm still having fun with the game though.

The Crystarium path doesn't matter, it's a straight line around in the shape of your weapons, then you get a bonus, then you go back to the start. All that matters is choosing which job you want to level on which node.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Spermando posted:

Tacky as gently caress, but still better than whatever the hell she was wearing last time we saw her.

Goddammit Square, what the hell was wrong with her 13 outfit? :negative: Being better than the 13-2 outfit doesn't get you any brownie points.

Artix fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Dec 18, 2012

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

ImpAtom posted:

I am the bad person because if they sold "less stupid" outfits for video game characters I would buy them in a second.

I assume you bought Serah's White Mage outfit the second it showed up? God knows I did, though her "Style and Steel" outfit or whatever it was called wasn't too bad.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Moldy Taxes posted:

I would pay Actual Money if I could use her original XIII outfit.

It's sad that this is what we've been driven to, but I would absolutely be in this boat as well. :sigh::hf::sigh:

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

CottonWolf posted:

I guess I can understand that on some level. But while Lightning was definitely marketed as the main character, I can't help feeling that XIII was much more of an ensemble production than many of the games (arguably, any since VI)...

That's true to an extent, but the only other characters given any real "leading" roles in 13 are Fang and maybe Sazh. Light calls the shots more or less the entire way through, and she definitely has the clearest "claim" to main character status.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Terper posted:

She will also be voiced by Laura Bailey.

And will talk like Kainé. :getin:

Now that would be something magical. :allears:

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
I was under the impression that Crisis Core was permitted, but nothing else.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Twelve by Pies posted:

I finally picked up Theatrhythm today, it's kind of a neat game, but those arrow swipe things are touchy as hell and have screwed me out of good scores more than once. It seems like the game only registers them whenever it feels like it.

Some of those Dark Notes are ridiculous too. I only managed to beat the Seymour boss theme by equipping a Hi-Potion and leveling up to the point where I could miss a bunch of stuff and not die. That part with the barrage of hold/arrow notes in a row seems practically impossible to actually perform.

Make sure you're not flicking when you do swipes. You have to actually slide in the direction you're swiping for it to reliably register it. And don't worry about Dark Notes, or anything else that seems hard. If you stick with it long enough, eventually you'll go to play Ultimate scores and be bored because they're slower and easier than the Chaos Shrine. :shepface:

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Tell us more about how we're all wrong and FF13's music is actually completely awful and not one of the few things pretty much everyone agrees is good about the game. :allears:

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
You all better not be badmouthing Mystic Quest. That was my first real JPRG and I still fire it up to this day when I need a good palette cleansing game.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

If you stop expecting anything from XIII-3, it can't hurt you

Even 13-2 managed to poo poo out one acceptable (hell, good) outfit with Serah's White Mage outfit. Surely, with as many outfits as they're designing for Lightning here, they can match that. Just one outfit that isn't awful.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

fount of knowledge posted:

Most of the Fire Emblems also fall into that trap of including Cids in their game. The random stat allotment can mitigate that somewhat (or just as likely break the balance even more hilariously), but using certain characters *cough* practically breaks the game for you.

Of all the units to pick for that, you go with Guy? Guy lives or dies with his strength growth. Which is only 30%.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

fount of knowledge posted:

For some reason, Guy will almost immediately come to mind for me since he was the only swordmaster I've seen break 100% chance to crit without even trying. That being said, you guys are right that there are way better characters, and the fact that certain lords like Hector or Ike can clear entire maps by themselves proves the point way better than Guy.

No idea what version of FE7 you're playing, but it's impossible to break 100 crit. You can do it in FE6, but I believe the highest you can get in FE7 is 94 with a full set of +Crit supports, max Skill, a Wo Dao, and an S-rank in Swords.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
So basically we might actually get Time Cop Snow? With he and Light being buddy cops?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Red Bones posted:

I kind of want to play it now because everything that has come out so far about it looks really fun, but I'm afraid I might have to know what happened in 13-2 to understand anything and I really don't want to play 13-2.

The only thing important about 13-2 is you learn "Don't gently caress with the time stream" and Serah dies at the end. Now you can skip every cutscene and enjoy the enhanced battle system and actual RPG elements.

Artix fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jul 2, 2013