Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
In KH1 it was almost certainly Aerith he was looking for, given the little scene they had in the ending sequence of the game. I guess they retconned it later after they got the memo that Cloud/Tifa was the official pairing. Or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Leal posted:

Wow, I didn't realize FFXIV was really that bad. I mean, how bad does a game have to be for a company to turn around and completely change it? I'd expect in today's industry they'd go "Oh it sucks? Well deal with it, thanks for the money suckers, be sure to buy FFXV!"

Yeah, the 'thanks for the money suckers' bit doesn't work so well with MMOs.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

What the hell was wrong with a sleeveless vest and skirt over shorts? Why did they have to change it twice into... whatever the hell this is.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Because there are a thousand and one 'stoic mysterious badass mentors that refuse to tell the protagonist anything straight' whereas goofballs like Tidus are hard to come by.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

Well for one, encyclopedias might have an intrinsic reward, but no extrinsic relevance to the gameplay. It's the presentation, too: worldbuilding sidequests are vignettes while encyclopedias are paragraphs with maybe an accompanying picture. This is a difference in design philosophy, but you say it yourself. If they aren't different, why is the more active one frowned upon? Is it because people are using the encyclopedias as surrogates for books so they can tell themselves they totally read something today? Reading imaginary nintendo encyclopedias has always perplexed me because as a medium, its canvas is so encompassing.

While both may be different kinds of flavour, one kind doesn't force me to mash buttons for a jump rope minigame.

(It forces me to spend three hours in the same location to get that last stupid bestiary/item drop entry instead. :shepface:)

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

That is the dumbest shield.

Actually it's the dumbest everything. But that shield... Man.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

A large organization staffed with people who you would expect to be personally loyal to the organization and therefore wiling to fight to protect it coupled with a ready explanation for incredibly powerful supernatural beings that you would expect to face in the endgame.

Religions are practically tailor-made to be fantasy jRPG badguys.

Pureauthor fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Jan 29, 2013

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Or, you know, Maoyuu RPG. Since it's actually based on a jRPG setting as is.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

A Noctis... perfume.

All right, that's it. Stop the car. I'm getting off.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

3 will be chosen at random and will become the canon story of FF13VS to reduce development time

It will still end up with a more coherent and better-written plot than the Kingdom Hearts series.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Krad posted:

So the rumor about Versus being a PS4 title wasn't true. Or was it? Screw you and your trolling, SE. Just give us Versus so I can stop buying games from you. :mad:

Hasn't history proven rather conclusively that Development Hell games have a higher chance of sucking that not?

Pureauthor fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Feb 21, 2013

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

No, Sonic fans usually had the glimmer of hope because each new game promised a 'return to form' before the inevitable deluge of poo poo came in.

Also Sonic fans had Colors and Genrations which were legitimately good games to pull Sonic back up.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

I've been saying for the longest time that I want to see FFVII, VIII and IX remade to look like a SNES game.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Cecil screaming about the Summoner Village being blown up was hilarious, though.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

So do we talk about the fact that Bravely Default is definitely getting localized for Europe and NA here or somewhere else?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Paperhouse posted:

Speaking of TWEWY, how many of you actually managed to use both screens properly whilst in battle? I've got all the way up to Beat's chapter and I pretty much ignored the top screen the whole way, I found it loving impossible to actually co-ordinate doing both screens and passing the light puck appropriately.

Just follow the Light Puck and you'll do fine for both screens.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

SlenderWhore posted:

Also, don't listen to what everyone says about XIII being horrible because it's linear. Yes, it is linear and this is a flaw, but it is still leaps and bounds better than most games are these days. If it didn't have the name "Final Fantasy" attached to it and was developed by someone else, it'd probably be considered an instant classic.

Whoa whoa whoa. It's not bad because it's linear, it's bad because the linearity is badly done, along with a whole host of other flaws.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Pesky Splinter posted:

From what I remember, the only other recolours in IX (outside of the friendly enemies) are the crystal enemies in the very last area. Other than that, they're all unique - even the Earth Guardian boss compared to the Lich, has major visual differences:

FFIX is such a good game.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

This sounds to me like a sad acknowledgment that they don't have the ability to create two big games at once, and frankly feels more like an admission of defeat than anything else.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

I imagine once they finally introduce Nomura to their foot and then to the door we'll see less lovely hair styles.

Ahahahaha, Nomura is literally the best thing SE has going for them now. In the Eastern section of the company anyway.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Terper posted:

Crossing Those Hills from FF9 got remixed in E3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yc47m029HtE

I want a FFIX remake so bad.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Riviera gave you a total of sixteen item slots for every single thing you had. Medicine, weapons, Key items, etc. Use it or toss it, suckers.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Remake IX in HD you dicks.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Also I think they gave Ultimecia some of Rinoa's weapons to equip in Dissidia.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Elec posted:

After starting 12 for the first time last night, something about the overall design reminded me of something but I couldn't put my finger on it. Now I realize it looks a lot like Star Wars Phantom Menace.

The entire game draws pretty strong influences from Star Wars as a whole. You'll probably notice a lot more of it as you play more.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

I don't think there's been a grindy DQ game since 2.

Or the Monster series, if you count obsessively fusing new monsters as grinding.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

FFIV and FFVIII come to mind. With IV you beat the humanoid Zemus but OH HO the hatred inside of Zemus was so great and influential that it has borne unto itself a physical embodiment named Zeromus

Technically the PCs never fight Zemus. FuSoYa and Tin Can beat him for you.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

It probably helps that it's Shibuya, not a Disney movieland, that TWEWY is set in, and it's probably stranger if you're a teenager there that's not covered head to toe in pointless designer toggery.

(Joshua and Beat dress conservatively enough, though.)

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

So basically FFVI for mobile phones.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

There was that weird LotR RPG that could pretty much pass as a FFX reskin.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

The Card is actually the hardest of the three rewards to get via other means, but of course it has the least impact on actual gameplay.

The Coral Ring is undoubtedly the most useful, especially if you plan on farming Grand Dragons.

Zidane's prize is stuck in the weird limbo of not actually mattering much one way or another.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

I'm pretty sure that stuff like that serves as a big ingame flag that you're not being nearly aggressive enough.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Barudak posted:

The Man with No Namaka

It's Nakama, not Namaka, you baka gaijin

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

You guys have never heard of Inazuma Eleven, I take it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inazuma_Eleven

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Barudak posted:

Wait, why did anyone stop him? Les Miserables: The RPG would have been absolutely incredible. I mean I'm sure you could Final Fantasy up the story but imagine how many people you'd get posting that they cried when Fantine died and if there is any secret way to resurrect her because she appears in the ending.

Yes I know Les Miserables: The Fighting exists and the fact that its amusing and fun as a rough concept only proves my point.

Because the game was already seven years in development.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Romeo and Juliet is right up there with the worst of jRPG protag whininess and angsting.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Where the hell is my FFV remake you stupids

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Man that costume (and that victory pose) looks incredibly screamingly out-of-place.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

There was more chemistry between Lightning and Snow in that thrown-together Steelguard scene than the entirety of FFXIII proper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Billy Zane as Ansem is still the best casting decision in the history of Square.