Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Lastdancer posted:

I'm replaying FF6 and had a question about Espers: Is doing this swap in/out of certain Espers as characters are about to level up to gain more of a stat actually necessary for anything like supperbosses?

I don't remember doing any of this last time and I feel like I got by just fine, but I decided to read up on Espers this time around and... why??

The stats don't matter. Like, they're technically in the battle formula, but level is too and it's probably more important. I've hit the damage cap numerous times without looking at esper stat growth, and I've beaten the game sub level 20 without caring about stat growth, so you can get by fine without. There are no super bosses outside of the GBA version which I don't really know about because they're bad additions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

aegof posted:

Is Doomtrain in 14 yet? there might still be time

Phantom Train is. One of last tier's raid bosses. Plays the FF6 boss theme remixed.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
The new FFVI sprites are ugly as gently caress and the perspective change on them is bad. Now they're all these rigid-armed, giant-headed pastel smears with enormous shoulders. Their walking frames have their hands past their knees like they're chimpanzees or something. Maybe the proportions are similar to the to the original release, but a 24x16 sprite is a hell of a lot different than something double the size with even less shading.

Yeah, the maps and monsters look fine, but god drat that is some garbage character sprite work.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Me and two separate groups of friends playing the game independently thought Ramza's last name was belouve and not beoulve. It wasn't until an LP I saw recently started pronouncing his name all weird until I looked at it and saw how it was actually spelled.

I pronounce Ivalice wrong too but I will die on that hill.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
4 is a textbook 90's era JRPG, and it wrote that book. It's got some issues, but it's still got gameplay and story that mostly holds up.

The job system is pretty awesome in 5, but despite multiple attempts on multiple releases I couldn't ever get into the game.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Due to 4's rigidity, I also think it has the strongest 'character development through gameplay mechanics' than the rest of the series. A lot of the details in 4 wouldn't work in something open like 1, or as flexible as 5.

spoilers, of course, for examples

Cecil's overcoming his darkness through defence and pacifism
Telah being a decrepit old sage, regaining his spell casting ability while being too frail to use it properly, and finally exerting himself to death in his quest for vengeance
Palom and Porum getting stoned
Rosa's entire class and basically the entirety of her development from her devotion to Cecil
None of these would work if their classes were substantially different.

It doesn't make something you're going to come back to, but it's still a game you can appreciate on its own merit, and then move on from.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Was there ever a good translation for the original FF4 hardtype release? I know there was one put out for it long ago, but it was absolute trash and worse than the janky as hell NA release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
What gets me are their perfectly rigid gorilla arms and their World of Warcraft shoulderpads. And their colour palettes that don't match the game.