Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

QuantaStarFire posted:

Also, when will SE try their hand at making an open-world sandbox Final Fantasy ala Elder Scrolls? I want to run around as a Moogle Black Mage with a 10-foot sword. :(

I've been thinking about something like that. We haven't had an Ivalice Alliance game in a while, so just drop it there and watch the people throw their money at Square.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

fount of knowledge posted:

gently caress YES, Blitzball

This person knows whats up. :hfive:

I still say Square should have released the various marquee minigames from the different FF's onto PSN/Live. I would buy the poo poo out of two player Blitzball or Triple Triad.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Momomo posted:

I don't know, I'm fully expecting the game to just never come out. Square's godawful development strategies seem to be catching up to them. It's probably better for everyone to just pretend they canceled it. If they end up releasing it, that could be a fun surprise rather than something we waited over half a decade for.

I still love hearing stories about how far SE got into developing FF13 before realizing they forgot the actual "Gameplay" part of the game.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

The key to enjoying the story in 8 is to have a group of friends nearby to act out the lines in the most over the top dramatic fashion.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

I've seen a bunch of those tumblrs. They take quotes from Texts from Last night or something and slap them on screenshots. Some of them are clever but most are pretty "Ehhh."

Edit: Here it is https://www.textsfromlastnight.com

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Azure_Horizon posted:

While LPing the game, I repeated the line, "I don't want anyone talking about me in the past tense!", laughed for about five minutes, then marked it down as the worst FF dialogue line ever.

Yeah, the NES/SNES translations hold way, way more no matter how hard you hate 8.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

It's like watching a brick wall post sometimes I swear.

Azure_Horizon posted:

The atmosphere of Japan may not have been "Blade Runnerish", but I think those two characters are heavily influenced by the Replicants of Blade Runner/Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? far more than something like Frankenstein or the Japanese interest in robotics.

I mean you put it right there even.

The GIG fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Oct 18, 2012

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

xSousuke posted:

This is probably the best description of why clouds development is favored so much. Most of the characters in the final fantasy games don't really have a whole lot of background that it takes a 2nd playthrough to really notice just whats going on, particularly in his head. For years I used to think it was Sephiroth sticking his proverbial hands in clouds head.

On the other hand squall has 0 development, zidane only has a temporary bsod, tidus is still just as annoying he just gets over his father issues...kind of.

And back to the first hand, The Compilation basically hosed all that up and showed why pandering to fanficcers is The Worst Idea. I used to hate Cloud because of his every other appearance in SE's games meaning "Angst for no reason time", and then I played FF7 and got confused with how he wasn't moaning and groaning every four seconds.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Pasteurized Milk posted:

Considering the pedigree, you would think that Blitzball would actually be good.

That's because it was and I will throw punches at anyone who says otherwise. :colbert:

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Johnny Cage posted:

In XIII-2, is there any reason I shouldn't be using "Potent" monster materials over Power/Vitality/Mana ones? At this point in the game (Ch. 3), the potent materials cost the exact same as the power/vitality/mana ones, and give all the benefits of each. Am I missing something here? I understand that there's not too much of a point in upgrading my Cait Sith's strength, but is there any added advantage to using a mana droplet in this case over a potent one?

The only reason I can think of is later in the game, higher-rank potent materials get expensive/rare.

You get a boost to the stat the material goes to which is great for focusing on it's classes strengths, and when you hit the big bubbles you get a way bigger boost to the stat of your choice.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Pesky Splinter posted:

The two loving last costumes...gently caress you designers. gently caress you.

The last one and the first one are the same costume. Your outfit starts losing pieces as you take damage.

I'm pretty sure no other Square lady has been perved on by the makers like Aya has.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Krad posted:

What about X-2's massage scene, huh smartguy? :colbert:

That was more funny than anything else. And Aya had like a five year head start on Not-Jesse-From-Team-Rocket. :colbert:

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Sex_Ferguson posted:

I kind of want to try Parasite Eve a bit less after that.

Good thing that's The 3rd Birthday, which I'm pretty sure is just some AU fanfic Square swiped off the net and made a game.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Azure_Horizon posted:

And that was terrible. There's nothing that proves that Lightning Returns will be at all similar.

Nobody said that, we're just bashing T3B and making fun of Lightning's dumb outfit. Cool your jets.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

voltron lion force posted:

For a second I thought they were gonna retract Adam Jenson style.

Reading this made me think of a Dissidia with all the SE properties and now I'm sad we will never get that.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

quote:

Kitase guarantees you’ll be satisfied by the outcome of previous games’ characters’ stories.

If it's "Everyone died on the way to their home planet except for Sazh and Fang" then count me in.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Azure_Horizon posted:

People liked the protagonist and storyline? There's absolutely nothing to like about any of it. Disc 1 is tolerable, but after that point you might as well tune every single bit of it out.

It's flashy set piece after flashy set piece with no substance; it's basically Michael Bay the jRPG.

I know man, I thought same. 13 was really terrible like that.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Sound logic and 13 being mentioned in the same post is the most hilarious thing I read all day.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

The few things I'll give 13 is that it's battle system worked really well when the solution the the battle you were in wasn't "Get three COM's, slam face on auto-battle until win music plays", some of the characters were pretty good (Sazh mostly, Lightning and Fang depending on the scene), and the graphics and music deserved a better game.

Everything else just felt like crap: The story was very badly done (The major offender being the fact EXTREMELY VITAL pieces of the story were shoved into very much optional battles and missions), the antagonists felt like after thoughts, the setting just felt "there" and a lot of locations seemed to only have "Looks very pretty" going for them, and the biggest problem is that it started a series that led to whatever the gently caress Lightning is wearing in 13-3 and really that's just something unforgivable. :colbert:

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Terper posted:

Every game is the worst game/best game in the series.

Final Fantasy (8) Megathread.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Except Tactics Advanced.

It's just the worst :colbert:.

I will fight a motherfucker over this. You and me by the flag pole after the bell!

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Me too!

13-2, for a sequel to the world's worst final fantasy game actually does a lot of things right that 13 did wrong.

It's no Xenoblade, but this is pretty much what I thought of 13-2

Weird thing with me too, I don't really like most of the Main series except for 12 and mostly stick to stuff like tactics and Dissidia, but I really liked the sequels 13-2 and 10-2. I liked 13-2 because while the story is still poo poo, the gameplay and monster collecting was so fun and each area having it's own story and significance was great, it made me ignore the bad and just have fun. 10-2 was great because once you got past the cheesecake the Dressphere system was fun as hell to work and experiment with and like with 13-2 each area had a story and something going on in them from chapter to chapter.

The only thing I don't like about 10-2 and 13-2 is the lack of good minigames (Give me back my old blitzball, what the gently caress is this management sim bullshit :argh: )

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Okay if this isn't the greatest argument for buying 14 then I don't know what to say to you:

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/01/01/final-fantasy-xiv-a-realm-reborn-has-baby-behemoths/

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

She's Sazh's afro chocobo who got lost in time after Sazh and his son got stuck in a time parodox who asked Etro or someone for help and decided to use the body she got out of the deal to help the time travelers.

It's silly but at least they kinda explain it (if through Datalogs and DLC).

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Aureon posted:

What?
I'm still to beat Ozma without the friendly animals and without excessive grinding.

That's not challenge though, that's Standard JRPG Bullshit.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Aureon posted:

gently caress keeping track of every goddamn single friendly animal i have met or not, and gently caress spending an hour on each of the 12 or so.

Gotta love obtuse crap to make things less obtuse.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

The only good Final Fantasy song is Crazy Chocobo, nothing else comes close.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

However, III gave us Onion Knight in Dissidia and he kicks so much rear end.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Wow look at all you wrong people. Here's the best battle music in any game hands down:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvnGT0LQ1iA

I am only half sarcastic.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Shaezerus posted:

I think part of it is they're still trying to pick up the pieces from 14's catastrophe of a launch, it shook consumer confidence pretty bad.

I read somewhere it set back a lot of things in development for Square

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Shaezerus posted:

They had to go back and rebuild the game almost entirely from scratch for A Realm Reborn, which doubtless pulled personnel from other projects to get it ready this fast, yeah.

Yeah, I heard it was literally all hands on deck across Square to get it done. Seeing how quickly it seems to have come together, I wouldn't be surprised.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I thought I had transferred my Dissidia save to the Vita but apparently I didn't. What do I miss out in Duodecim by not transferring?

All the gear, money, and levels you had on your original file. There should be an option to try again in the options menu.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

victrix posted:

Depends on how well it sold, I haven't heard anything about it. I believe the people behind it are pretty busy with other FF stuff right now though.

I think the devs said they are done with Dissidia in that form. I would love to have another game that plays like Dissidia though.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

victrix posted:

I think its a pretty impressive achievement actually - the combat is remarkably deep for what amounts to a 3d action fighting game, and on the PSP no less. It does give me some hope that they have a clue when it comes to the action rpg turn that FF seems to be taking.

I'd love to see what they could do with a Dissidia game on a home console.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Arrrthritis posted:

I would play the gently caress outta that game, no lie.

Another quick question- Is there any way to change the day of the week I get my benefits on?

Yeah, it in Data Config in the main menu, but the change doesn't take until the next week.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Play hours and hours of Blitzball and actually win (Wakka)

This was easy once you get Jecht Shot at the beginning and a Goalie to take over for Keepa once he gets a cannon for his leg. Not to mention getting good crippling skills for defense (Wither and Sleep tackle/pass :syoon: ).

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

I did get it but it took a pretty long time. You have to get every Wakka Limit Break, then you have a chance at the Sigil and the prizes are semi-random anyway.

I guess I never noticed because I log a lot of Blitzball time for fun.

Yes, I am "that" guy.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

chumbler posted:

and I could probably write quite a bit about how I'd do it, but I know that's never going to happen since it's kind of a black sheep, at least outside of Japan.

I'd love to hear about it anyway. I kinda like what 8 tried to do, and I'd like to hear more from people that isn't "Kill everyone involved and salt the earth".

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Dross posted:

Okay, next question. Is there a good reason to have a Monk in my party as opposed to a second Warrior or other physical damage dealer?

Back up white magic and being pretty good at it, not to mention punching people and hitting them with sticks is far more entertaining than some boring sword swinging.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

My second point still stands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Ross posted:

I should have guessed that, it's been a popular strategy of Square's over the years.

Not to mention it was part of that Fabula Nova Crystallis project that Type-0 and 13 was part of that I'm pretty sure is Latin for "We don't know how HD development works."