Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
Registered for this year's Four Job Fiesta with hard mode and berserker risk, since I finished it last year. Team was Blue Mage, Mystic Knight, Ninja, and Dragoon, which was some fun synergy. Almagest is still a pain, though.

Feel sorry for anyone who manages to get three berserkers, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

First was 7, favourite is 6, and I still have a soft spot for 3.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

I can't even imagine doing the Cloud of Darkness fight without a Devout. Those attacks take a nasty chunk out of your HP.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Got my last job. Team is White Mage/Red Mage/Geomancer/Berserker. Only major hiccups I've had so far are Garula, although mainly for how tedious the fight is, and Archeoaevis, since as soon as it resurrected, I was stuck doing about 400 damage a turn, along with having to spam Cura.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

And that's that. Talk about skin of my teeth. Berserkers really screw up battles where you have to keep multiple targets at roughly the same health.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

It's just a shame that X-2 is pretty much physically impossible to 100% without a guide of some sort. (I'm looking at you, Chapter 4 commsphere watchathon.)

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

I thought a solo Cecil run of FF4 was impossible unless you grinded to high heaven, due to the Trap Doors? Then again, maybe I'm wrong.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Mr. Fortitude posted:

No X-2 sidequest is as annoying and crappy as lightning dodging or chocobo racing in X.

Via Infinito. :colbert:

Honestly, I can't imagine getting through that place with the Cat Nip nerf they implemented in the re-release.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Finally got around to this. Needless to say, Blink is a godsend there.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Whilst I enjoyed the XII OST, the only song I can honestly remember from it is Ozmone Plains, excluding the remixes of Clash/Prologue, etc. It's ambient, but not at all memorable.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Fungah! posted:

Doesn't matter too much, Chemist and one of your attackers for the magic tower and the other two for the physical tower. e:Minotaur's a joke and as long as you mix a Bacchus' Wine or a Blessed Kiss on Omniscient, so's he.

It's also worth noting that Silence Spellblade works perfectly on Omniscient.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

LoudLoudNoise posted:

Thanks for all of the suggestions! I'm too exhausted to do it in time for the event completion, but I'll give it another go this weekend just to say I did it.

You're in luck! Judging by the main site, the fiesta has been extended by a week.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

THE PWNER posted:

Glitching those games without trying is pretty difficult. I don't think I ever ran into any bugs at all in the original R/B.

You may not have noticed them, but you almost certainly encountered them. Such as Focus Energy either doing nothing if the user was faster than its opponent, or reducing your chance of a critical hit if the user was slower.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Evil Fluffy posted:

I spent a bunch of time getting a Gengar trained up as a counter to my friend's alakazam only to find out psychic pokemon were faster and ghosts were weak to psychic attacks. You lied to me seizure-causing cartoon. :argh:

It's actually because all 3 ghosts in Gen I are part Poison, which is weak to Psychic for... no good reason, I guess. And there are no Ghost moves that do non-fixed damage. It's part of why Psychics in Gen I are so powerful, since their other counter is Bug types, which were useless back then.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

I've not played FFVIII in forever, so I can't really comment on its difficulty, but aside from that, I'd personally say VI is the easiest of the games, closely followed by either VII or V (although V does have a couple of tricky moments, Archeoaevis and Neo Exdeath coming to mind.)

Hardest is a bit more difficult to come up with, though. FFI had some ridiculous enemy setups, and FFIII had stuff like Garuda and the Crystal Tower, but it's a lot closer.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

FFX's first boss is Sinspawn Ammes, to teach you about overdrives. Which can't actually kill you, since it only uses Demi.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Pollyanna posted:

Aahhhh nothing says Final Fantasy like dying to Cloud of Darkness right after that rear end in a top hat boss rush and final dungeon. :unsmigghh:

edit: I'm running Ninja/Knight/Devout/Black Belt, is that somehow underpowered orrrr

Whilst my team for that fight was Devout/Geomancer/Dragoon/Knight, so I can't really say much about underpowered teams, it might be recommendable to bring two devouts, due to how much damage the Cloud dishes out.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

Hey guys, totally random change-of-topic, but I've been playing through Jeff Ludwig's rebalance of FFI Dawn of Souls.

It's a ton of fun and changes the face of the game. The difficulty curve is much closer to the original (without all of the punishing bugs and pain-in-the-rear end interface). In fact, I'd say the whole mod is a love letter to the feeling of playing the original game.

I'll second this. I used the 2.2 version when I was doing my White Mage only run of FFI, and it's definitely trickier than DoS was (not that that's a high bar in the first place). There are a couple of odd changes, like Masamune only being available to promoted classes, and Giant's Gloves now being a damage dealing item, but it's nothing too drastic. And if nothing else, it means Chaos is actually a threat now.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

ConanThe3rd posted:

It's a wonder someone never took hexedit (or whatever they use to edit hack GBA Roms) to the game to remove the whole stupid to-do.

They did.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Equipping magic abilities on certain classes can boost their MP significantly too. Such as sticking !White on a physical class (something I happened to do with Krile during the last Four Job Fiesta, since it let me give her a nice pool of MP to let her act as a field healer, and to power the Rune Axe). And of course, there's the passive abilities for each class, but those are mostly useful for Freelancers and Mimes.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

On the note of gimmick runs, I just completed a solo Cecil run of FFIV DS. It was interesting, but not exactly something I would hasten to do again.

The main 3 sticking points were:
A) Baigan, since Cecil spends most of the battle blinded, paralysed, or both, and Baigan hits pretty hard. Not to mention the self destructing arms.
B) Barbariccia, since Cecil flat out can't harm her without the magic items, and it's pretty much based on getting lucky with the order she chooses to use her moves in, since if she chains Tornado and Lightning at the wrong time, you're pretty much screwed completely.
C) Lugae, purely because he can hit for around 2k with Restore, and around 1.5k with Beam.

The Demon Wall came down to the skin of my teeth, since even with it slowed and its defense lowered, and Cecil berserked and hasted, I only just managed to eke out enough damage to kill it.

Zeromus himself was pretty much a case of Brace -> Heal -> Attack, rinse and repeat, and then slowing him and hasting Cecil when he moved into the Meteor phase. Although Meteor hitting for 3.5k was still pretty horrifying.

But yeah, it was fun enough. Aside from the prevalence of things in FFIV that can inflict petrify.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

At least in the DS version, the Aegis shield negates Death, which kinda defangs them entirely. Not sure if it stops anything but Petrify in the older versions, though.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

I would personally say VI is the easiest game in the series, closely followed by either VII or VIII (depending on how much you break the latter).

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Grawl posted:

I need help in FFV. I'm at the Fork Tower in World 3 and the boss is kicking my rear end, because I have no reflect rings. I can't fight Leviathan yet and hope to find one. Is there any way for me to get one at this point?

To defeat Omniscient, you can just use Silence spellblade on a Mystic Knight. You can get Reflect Rings from the Lemures in Phoenix Tower, and there's one in Istory Falls, too.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

To get to the Phoenix Tower, you'll need to grab the Black Chocobo from the Phantom Village, which is in a small forest on the large crescent at the bottom of the map. The tower itself is in the desert to the northeast.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Honestly, whilst the music in FFXIII wasn't bad, I have the same issue with it that I do with FFXII, namely that I can't remember most of it. There's Sunleth Waterscape, Blinded by Light, and the music that makes Pulse into the world's largest elevator, but that's about it. Oh, and Barthandelus's and Orphan's themes.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Not quite, it hasn't been ported to programming calculators yet.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Krad posted:

So the rumor about Versus being a PS4 title wasn't true. Or was it? Screw you and your trolling, SE. Just give us Versus so I can stop buying games from you. :mad:

Oh, they'll inevitably publish something else that's great after Versus XIII. (See: Sleeping Dogs, Deus Ex)

Saigyouji fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Feb 21, 2013

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Last Emperor posted:

Speaking of non-FF RPGs do people generally hold favourable thoughts of DQ VIII? I've never played any of the series before and it's the only one I came to own after my uncle passed off all of his old PS2 games on to me since he sticks to PS3 now.

There's actually a Dragon Quest thread here.

But yeah, DQVIII is pretty well regarded. Just be aware that the series can get a little grindy at times, since they're very traditional JRPGs. Although there are means to offset that.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Duodecim at least has the advantage of being an actual word rather than a ridiculous portmanteau.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

ProfessorProf posted:

All right, back to one of the biggest stumbling blocks on my latest playthrough of FFIII: The Ancient Ruins.

Seriously, what the drat hell am I supposed to do about the stupid splitting enemies? Is there any concievable way to stop them once there are more than 2 on the field, or should I just be running away from every encounter?

Use dark blades to stop them from splitting. Not that I'm sure the game ever tells you that.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

TheWorldIsSquare posted:

I'm gonna sperg out here, but... I consider a true tactical RPG to like chess, where it's more about strategically moving your units and trying to decide later moves rather than min-maxing your characters. Obviously a level system is present, but it shouldn't really be the main focus like it is in FFT

I'll be honest here, I'm not seeing why these two things are necessarily mutually exclusive. Take the Super Robot Wars series: Later games in the series introduce the "Battle Mastery" mechanic, optional objectives present in each mission. Some of these require a significant amount of advance planning to accomplish. However, the SRW games also have a heavy focus on stats, on pilots, mechs, and weapons. In the end, it works out pretty well.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

fount of knowledge posted:

A lot of the Fire Emblems I've played also fall into that trap of including Orlandus in their game. The random stat allotment can mitigate that somewhat (or just as likely break the balance even more hilariously), but using certain characters *cough* practically breaks the game for you.

Man, you mention Guy instead of Seth? The guy can solo the entire game without breaking a sweat.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Krad posted:

SE made their first mistake the moment they merged with Enix.

Without the merger, there almost certainly wouldn't be a Square around anymore.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Well, there's always Doublecast to deal with Dmg2. Of course, that takes forever to master.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Johnny Aztec posted:

How many versions of FF4 are there?
I was probably just going to play it on Zsnes with the translated Japan rom. The one where Cecil has the Dark Attack.

There's the original, Easy Type, the NA release, the PS1 release, which is based on the original, the GBA release, the DS release, the PSP release, which is based on the GBA release, and the iOS release, which is based on the DS release.

Saigyouji fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Apr 14, 2013

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Suaimhneas posted:

Not to mention it being literally impossible if you're playing the 50Hz PAL version of the game :suicide:

It's difficult (well, even more so than usual, that is), but it's been done. The issue is that in the PAL version, you have to get there in 10 hours rather than 12.

Saigyouji fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Apr 26, 2013

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

From what I know, the "No 2D games" thing was exclusively a SCEA thing, and was all due to the influence of Bernie Stolar (infamous for enacting the "5 Star Policy" for the Sega Saturn after he became President of Sega of America.) He left Sony in 1996, though.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Xavier434 posted:

This works consistently for me on everything except when I use a green chocobo (or maybe it was blue...I forgot). For some reason, their ability to sprint at the end half just doesn't work out as well. It might be my perception, but it also seems that certain chocobos will experience some sort of resistance while sprinting during that segment at the end which looks like some sort of space wind tunnel. That is what makes it hard for me. Otherwise, your strat works and I still use it while just hoping for the best.

Yeah, the space segment slows down most chocobos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

I can't even imagine doing FFX without the sphere grid without pre-planning it, if only because of stuff like Extractor.

Saigyouji fucked around with this message at 17:55 on May 28, 2013