Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Mr. Locke posted:

there isn't really a 'natural' way to gain power in FF8- you have to do something janky and unnatural in order to get stronger characters.

Honestly, this is one thing I really like about that game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

seiferguy posted:

Also, why wouldn't you convert the Ragnarok into a sword? The paladin shield gives you access to Ultima anyways.

You might be playing a version where you can have both, because you can keep what you steal from the final boss.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It's a species of mantis shrimp.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Shoenin posted:

whats the exact name of it?

Really curious, this shrimp sounds metal as gently caress

All kinds of mantis shrimp, of which there are over 400, have extreme close-range combat abilities. There are two main types: "Spearers" that stab with long, pointy claws, and "Smashers" that have a heavy, club-like claw. Both types move their claw so fast that it creates a bubble of vapor, whose collapse effectively causes their prey to be punched twice. Smashers use it to crack open shelled animals in order to get at their insides.

There's also the pistol shrimp, which has a single huge claw that it smacks into the other one in order to create a cavitation bubble whose powerful shockwave can stun or kill nearby prey, but doesn't actually hit other animals with it.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Here's a video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ti2Uoc1RXuQ

Should be able to find a pistol shrimp one as well.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Kingtheninja posted:

Any good job tips for V? Like any abilities I should go after right away etc.

Always be getting blue magic.

There's a point of no return that can lock you out of the last Bard song, I think?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Sabin wants magic, because half of his Blitzes including the most powerful one are magical, not physical.

You can still learn Ultima without the Ragnarok magicite; the Paladin Shield teaches it.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

What odds will you give me that Final Fantasy XVI is announced before the end of the year?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Covok posted:

I don't remember there being a job change system in Blue Dragon. As matter fact I am 90% sure there isn't.

There is, but it doesn't change the characters' costumes so it doesn't really count.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Put exactly one party member in the front row with no armor of any kind. This is your tank.

The way you increase your stats is by using them. That means the way to increase evasion is by evading. Armor reduces evasion chance. Evasion is preferable to defense.

Instant-death spells like Banish and Toad are actually useful, though they need to be high enough in level in order to be effective.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Bruceski posted:

Kweh is for chocos west of the Mississippi river, wark is what they say east of it.

I like this joke.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

If they're gonna make Final Fantasies action games, they should be better action games than they have been.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

CodfishCartographer posted:

1) What sequels should I go through, which ones would you guys consider "mainline" titles. Just the numbered ones, like FFX-2 or FFXIII-2?

2) How about the less "mainline" sequels, like Revenant Wings and The After Years?

Crisis Core, X-2, and XIII-3 are the best of the direct sequels. Tactics Advance is a spinoff of XII and I like it.

3) What about the pseudo mainline spinoffs, like Tactics and Type 0?

You'll never find a shortage of Tactics likers. I will go to bat for The 4 Heroes of Light even though it's not that good. Theatrhythm, World of Final Fantasy, and Crystal Chronicles are worth looking into. Consider also: Lost Odyssey, The Last Story, Bravely Default and Bravely Second. There are probably others I'm forgetting. Avoid everything that is gacha.

4) What's the "best" way to play 1, 2, 3, and 5? I know 4 and 6 have pretty easy to access / emulate games, but the others are a little more obscure. Should I play remakes? English patched emulations? Something else??

For 2, just use whichever's the most recent.

1, 3, and 4 have all been remade in forms that are significant mechanical departures, so make sure you know what you're getting into:

The PS1 remake of 1 is very faithful to the original except it has bugfixes. I prefer it for that reason, since the GBA/PSP/iOS remake reduces the difficulty a lot, but it's kind of a toss-up.

The DS/PC remake of 3 is just lousy and you're better off with a fan translation of the NES version.

The GBA/PSP remakes of 4 are extremely faithful, whereas the DS/PC remake of 4 is a pretty radical departure mechanically and is pretty challenging.

GBA version of 5 is the best available in English. The iOS/PC versions of 5 and 6 have virtually identical content to the GBA versions, except that they're ugly. There's not much gameplay difference between the GBA and SNES versions - it really does just come down to the script and some tacked-on bonus areas.

The main goal of the project is to examine how the core game design and mechanics change over time, how game mechanics build off of those in the previous games, and how they effect future games. I feel like mainline sequels like FFX-2 and the XIII series definitely had an effect on future designs, but I'm less confident on Revenant Wings and The After Years. Tactics feels like it was definitely influenced by the design of previous games like 5, but I'm not sure how much it effected future games. I haven't played Type 0 so I dunno how much or little it's effected by tiger titles.

While you're going through it, make note of the producer and director of each game, and consider them in light of other games they worked on that weren't Final Fantasy.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Hah, good to know. Which version fixes these issues without also significantly changing the core gameplay?

PS1 only.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

For FF6, I'd like to see a FF4DS-style gameplay overhaul aimed at increasing the difficulty and complexity of battle. More interactions among the cast or scenarios would be nice too, but only if there's a point to it.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The filter is not a screen filter, by the way. They filtered each individual sprite graphic, or possibly the texture files. So in addition to being a blurry mess where UI elements didn't have matching resolution, there were visible tiling seams all over the place.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Open Marriage Night posted:

Thinking about playing FF6 for the first time by myself. Any good guides on strategies, missable stuff, etc;?

The game's really easy, and I can't think of anything missable that's worth mentioning. There is a certain point in about the middle of the game that, depending on how you want to approach it, you might prefer to not be spoiled about over making the "right" decision. I will be circumspect: A character will tell you to wait for them. There will be a timer. Leaving early counts as not waiting.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Biggs and Wedge

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I call fake.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Don't do the superbosses.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Being in Ivalice is only hurting Mewt, and all of his other friends are having too much fun there to notice, at least at first. That's the story.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I went through the combat tutorial in FFXV but it didn't really click. I felt like I was fighting against the interface as much as the enemy, and didn't really understand why I might want to prefer any of my options over the others.

The road trip aesthetic was amazing and I loved it, but the hunts didn't really appeal to me. A checklist of things to kill is a good activity for later in a game like this, but right at the start I want to get a feel for the general structure of the game, and I didn't know what deciding to ignore the hunts altogether would entail. I'd have liked it if it had dragged me along a bit more linear plot before letting me cut loose with open-ended tasks like that.

The result of all this was that I found it easy to get distracted and play something else instead.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Time limits are fine as long as they make the mitigation extremely obvious and clarify exactly what you stand to lose. Majora's Mask worked because the cycle was so short and because you're required to let it run out at least once.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

LR has that too with NG+.

The game doesn't tell you what's at stake if the timer expires. New Game + usually means doing everything all over again, except while overleveled.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Sometimes a timer is a way to travel through time and interact with events that happen at certain times the way you might move around to interact with events that happen in different places, and that's good. Sometimes a timer just means you have to play faster or lose, and the possibility of losing an RPG is weird.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The trouble with voluntarily grinding is that some games are balanced so that if you decide to opt out of the really narrow margins of victory by trading time for power, you can't go back to the more intense difficulty because you tend to stay overleveled.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Somewhere along the line they got the idea that the thing that was wrong with these games was picking commands from a menu, but now it's clear that picking commands from a menu was the thing most right about them.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Bravely Default is good; Bravely Second is better.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It's because they're teens.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Kingdom Hearts isn't for me, but within their aesthetic paradigm there's nothing particularly wrong with them or their production.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Barudak posted:

Nobody has a job in 7.

This is also literally true, I think

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

LadyPictureShow posted:

Terrorist doesn't count as a job?

Does it pay?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Five out of six in 8 are professional mercenaries.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

why are you spelling her name like that

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It is understandable that the world at large hates and fears Sorceresses.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

gigglefeimer posted:

Engaging in forever war only serves to radicalize a population, leading some to lash out and in turn provide more perceived justification for further oppression.

Four individuals isn't much of a population.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Marche was right.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Does the Switch version fix the problem where the ATB is still way too slow even if you set it to max speed and hold down the fast forward button constantly?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Optimizing stat gains from espers is highly unnecessary. The game approaches a reasonable challenge if you refrain from getting any esper stat boosts at all. FF6 is not very demanding in terms of numbers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Abilities come from GFs. If you remove a GF, it also removes all the abilities you had junctioned from them. So when you junction a GF, the next thing you should do is junction abilities. How are you supposed to know that you need to junction abilities? The junction tutorial.

If you're reading a walkthrough that's telling you to draw a shitload of magic from enemies, you're reading a bad walkthrough. That's the boring way to break the game. Try going a while without trying to break the game, and then come back and ask us about cards.