Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

the_steve posted:

X2 - I tried to enjoy this game for what it was. Got pissed off and quit when I realized I missed 1% from a previous level somewhere I couldn't get back to and wouldn't be able to get 100%

Frankly the default ending is far better then the 100% one so I'd say the game saved you some trouble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

PhilippAchtel posted:

I don't know who I'm mad at more, Nomura for driving my favorite series into the ground in his quest to take the RPG out of Final Fantasy

You do know that Nomura had nothing to do with the gameplay or story of FF13. He just did the character designs.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

And that's why I will defend Lulu's character design till the day I die because it was done just to mess with the CG artists.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

p.crestmont posted:

Amano added more character to Final Fantasy games with just the character profile pics on the status screen in FFIV and FFVI than all the combined in game artwork of everything after VI.

Except the character art on said portraits is pretty ridiculous and doesn't at all resemble their sprites. Frankly if they were going to give them portraits they should at least have made new ones that matched their sprites.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

You know what I'm just going to say it. While Amano may be a better artist. Nomura is a better character designer. His designs work better as video game characters, while pictures Amano's are very beautiful and interesting looking. They're not so great as pure character design. Good character design should tell you about a character just from looking at it.

To use Cloud, probably the most famous character he's done, as an example.

You can quickly tell a lot about Cloud just from looking at him. He's a strong, serious guy. The blonde hair contrasts with the dark clothing and makes him stand out.

Finally, Cloud has a very strong silhouette. A good character design should allow you to instantly identify the character just from seeing that.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Basically Nomura has two ways to design characters. There's his mostly "Modern day styles with an occasional twist" from TWEWY, FF7, and FF13 etc that most people seem to like. Then there's his "fantastic fantasy outfits" from FFX, Kingdom Hearts, etc that people don't like.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Like everything else in DoC I'm pretty sure Nomura was phoning it in.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

ImpAtom posted:

Tifa, on the other hand, is awful. She's supposed to be a girl-next-door type who is also a kung-fu fighter and her design just... doesn't communicate that at all. Her design is like they came up with "fanservice" first and never really altered it. Her AC design isn't exactly fantastic but it communicates the character a lot better. It doesn't matter that her first is simple because it's not very good at communicating the character.

Actualy Tifa and Aerith's designs are kind of interesting because in many ways they give you expectations that they're different archetypes then they really are. It actually fits pretty well with how Cloud presents himself as a tough soldier type when he's really kind of an insecure dork.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

pw pw pw posted:

His character designs are just 'blonde gackt', or sometimes just 'gackt'.

If you looked at a naked tidus next to a naked vaan, you would have absolutely no way of knowing which was which.

Hair color, facial structure, height, hair style, skin color. Tidue is also a lot more muscular then Vaan who's kind of a scrawny kid. Also Nomura didn't design Vaan fyi

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

It doesn't look that bad in game. I mean, it looked like a white blouse with a skirt. Then you see the CG renders and realize that there's barely enough cloth on her to be able to be called clothing.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

pw pw pw posted:

Ah, that's news to me! That does explain why the people in XII didn't look quite as lovely. Well, then I just want to direct a little hate toward whatever executive decided to shoehorn vaan in there.

Though I believe my rationale for skipping XII was having recently played tactics advance, and not wanting to support the rape of ivalice.

Don't use rape to describe video game using plot elements you don't like.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

You do realize that FFTA and FF12 (Well, most of it) were made by Matsuno.

Also Bangaa own.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

So is there any word on if the "Heroes of Light and Darkness" game is actually going to come out in english? Because I need a new Job System Final Fantasy like I need food and water.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

The hack didn't switch which enemies give the Dark Arts. It's just that multiple enemies can give the same Dark Art.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

For every 10$ donated to Child's Play, Gilgabot will automatically give anybody who tweets that Berserker

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

TurnipFritter posted:

And yet at the same time:

What does it say about me that this is what I'm most interested in out of all of what Squares shown at E3

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

10 is really the darkest game in the series.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Mega64 posted:

Though I'm not a fan of the DS's changes that much, they actually did rebalance all the classes so that even the earlier jobs have their use (Black/White Mages can make better use of lower-level spells than their upgraded counterparts, though why the hell you'd use those late in the game is a mystery).

For White Mage being able to spam Cure every round is actually rather useful.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I want a single player FFXI so I can enjoy the really nice job system and storyline once the game inevitably fades away. :v:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

FF4DS is fantastic. I'll also defend the way you get Aguments with my dying breath because basically it's only "counter intuitive" to people who are metagaming based off playing previous versions. Would you have rather had people get nothing for giving abiltiies to party members who leave?

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Final Fantasy V is a game in which "Attack" is one of the weakest options you have. Pretty much every skill in the game can do more damage or at least have some extra effect. Berserkers can do nothing but Attack. You can't control them and this often makes them a liability. To top it off they're the slowest class in the game.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

voltron lion force posted:

Problem with giving it pass because of age is that they made a perfectly good game right before it. 2 is awful in a lot of ways but mainly people hate it because of how much worse it was compared to 1. 8 and 13 at least had some redeeming qualities. I'm struggling to think of any for 2.

I give 2 a pass for being an experiment that didn't quite work out right. Like, it has good ideas, they just weren't executed well.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

If FFXII is one of the worst games you've ever put into a game console you must have put the most awesome games ever printed to disc into it beforehand.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

But that's lame ignoring half the party members. Plus, in the International version that means you can only use three of the classes!

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

N-Zone sounds like a 90s era ad campaign for Nintendo.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I don't know if its even possible to beat the bonus contentnin the gba version with just four jobs. Maybe if you luck out on hard mode and get White Mage, Red Mage, Time Mage, and Beastmaster.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Fister Roboto posted:

FJF Ultra Hard Mode: Berserker/Mime/Oracle/Necromancer

Assuming cheating to bonus jobs early this wouldnt be that hard. Oath wipes out early game while once you start getting Dark Arts you can cast them off Oracles massive Magic Stat. Mime just casts all the spells while Berserker, as always, pretends to contribute.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Got Monk!

Dang, I got that last year. Oh well, let's see what I get next.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Frankly, I'm surprised Berseker isn't free.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

White Mage for second job! :toot:

Kung Fu Healers here I come.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Spellblade dos 4 things.

If its an elemental attack and the enemy is weak to that element, it reduces the enemy's defense (with high tier spells, it reduces it to zero).

Drain/osmose just do their effects while you do damage.

If its a status it just automatically hits with said status when hit.

And flare increases attack by 200 and reduces defense by 3/4 so.

So yeah two handed does increase the power of spellblade attacks.

Edit: beaten like Exdeath

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Evil Eagle posted:

Final team:

Blue Mage/Mystic Knight/Geomancer/Samurai. I have absolutely zero healing and no way to learn White Wind.

Kind of sadly Samurais katanas don't work with spell blade for some dumb reason. Vampire is a decent healing spell with Blue Magic and Drain spell blade can be used too.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Gaia is actually a really handy skill to have.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Noooo Berserker! :suicide:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Trasson posted:

So I just beat Archeoavis. I get the Earth Crystal jobs, and my final job is...

what

@Trasson_Catols can now use the Water Job 'Berserker'. HAHAHAHAHAHA

A Knight and three Berserkers. This is what I have to work with for the rest of the game. Well, it's better than Thief. Should be quite amusing.

Getting Berserker with Water crystal on Hard Mode is a 1 in 11 chance.

Getting it with the Fire Crystal is a 1 in 16 chance

Then, finally, getting it with the Earth Crystal is a 1 in 20 chance

Congrats on winning the suffering lottery, I guess!

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Fister Roboto posted:

HOWEVER! Once you get all but one parts down, the last part standing will start taking double turns AND will be able to do everything that the other parts can.

That's why you save the back partfor last and use Magic Lamp Odin to kill it instantly.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I finally got all four jobs.

Monk, White Mate, Berserker, Black Maye. Fairly nice. Decently powerful without being absurd.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Shinryu is really easy with pretty much any job if you Berserk him right away. Every attack he makes kills a target, but you have 4 guys so you can revive them faster than he kills them :v: don't even have to heal, just phoenix down them and leave them near death since it's one hit anyway.

It really is hilarious to beat Shinryu without taking a single point of damage.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

What jobs do you have?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Trasson posted:

Alrighty guys, it's time for me to take on Exdeath.

My final setup:

You are a braver man then I. A true Hero of the Fiesta. :patriot: