Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Drain Spellblade. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Other then Bard what jobs do you have?

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Hedera Helix posted:

According to that, my team of Blue Mage/Thief/Beastmaster/Beastmaster was worth $7, even though I had less trouble with it than a previous White Mage/Summoner/Bard/Chemist fiesta it estimates is worth $15. :confused:

Chemist and Bard a very awesome jobs with powerful buffing skills. Blue Mage, while strong, is a lot trickier. In all honesty, Beastmaster should probably be worth more if paired with Blue Mage. He just needs to up the cost of both if you combine them!

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Have you landed the airship in the catapult again after beating Fork Tower?

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Safari Disco Lion posted:

No. Ugh, I have to do that first? I don't have a Reflect Ring for Omniscient, because I didn't have a Thief or the Thief Knife to steal any earlier, and I couldn't manage to kill them.

You can get the Theif Knife in Phantom Village, and steal Reflect Rings from Lemure in Phoenix Tower.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

It's possible to beat Neo Exdeath at low levels if you take out the parts that cast Algemest quickly, saving the back part to be Odin'd for last.

Of course, to do that requires Chemist or Bard to buff up your power.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Zombies' Downfall posted:

My only real unexpected observation so far is that Monk really isn't as good as I remember it being. Come to think of it, I guess I've never really used one past World 1. The damage output is lower than a double-gripping Knight with worse defenses and without the option to swap in a shield, though I guess having a secondary slot open for !White or !Blue is nice. Does the damage formula for martial arts just scale poorly into the lategame, or am I doing something wrong?

It does. But they figured that out and fixed it up a bit with the Kaiser Knuckles accessory.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Holy is probably the best spell period against single targets. And most bosses by the time you get it are single targets.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

There's also Drain Spellblade. :eng101:

Though that doesn't work against undead.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Evil Fluffy posted:

I didn't get this at all on my playthrough. I had never used much magic on past FF5 runs but when I got Flare and Holy my first thought was "gently caress yes time to NUKE everything" only to then see Flare do as much, or less than, a Bolt/Ice/Fire 3 buffed by a rod. Factor in a boss with a weakness and it wasn't even close.

With a Holy boosting piece of equipment worn. (Like the Sage Staff) Holy's power is 361. This makes it the single strongest spell in the game. In comparison, Flare's is 254 while a boosted Firaga/Thundaga/Blizzaga is 277. Finally Bahamut is 254. And there is very little that resists or absorbs the Holy element.

Dr Pepper fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jun 25, 2012

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

So a Berserker with Rune Axe does about as much damage as a Magus Rod boosted -ga spell.

That's pretty nice. If only I could aim with my Berserker.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

68k posted:

I've drawn Monk, Mystic Knight, Geomancer, and Dancer. I just made it past the Library; Garula and Liquid Flame guy were a bitch. I don't have the Earth crystal unlocked yet, but can I assume Dancer is going to be extremely difficult to win with? I've never beaten the game, but have played quite a bit of it, just never used that class at all.

Dancer's a gimmicky but fun class.

Equip the Chicken Knife and the Rainbow Dress and you have a 50% chance to do 9999 damage with Dance, easiest way to hit the damage cap at endgame.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Schwartzcough posted:

If it makes you feel any better, Red Mages are pretty awesome in FFXII IZJS- Not only do they get a good selection of magic from other class specialties (potentially including the top-tier black magic -aga spells), but they get their own line of "Arcane" magic, as well as the usual good equipment selection.

Sadly, you do not get awesome hats.

Red Mages are amazing in FFXII International. They're the only mage class that can equip shields. Their selection of magic is also fantastic. They can learn the -ga level Black and White Magick, and while the Time spells aren't the best they still learn Slow and Reflect.

And the Arcane Magick is amazing. The Dark Line of spells are pretty powerful the best source of Dark Damage.

Finally, they don't even have to worry about the problem that usually plagues the Red Mage, low Strength meaning melee damage isn't so hot. They uses maces, which use Magic Attack for damage rather then strength.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

And I'm done again. I just beat FFV two times in a row.

Ironically, I'd say this Hardmode Four Job Fiesta was harder then the low level game I finished before this. :v:

First job was Monk. Monk is a fairly nice job to start with. It hits hard and is easy to manage though the first world, it drops off in the second but manages to get a boost with the Kaiser Knuckles to make it good again by endgame. (1000 a Punch with just Attack is nothing to sneeze at.)

White Mage was the second job. Suddenly healing was never a problem again. White Magic is incredibly good. It may not have any fancy tricks like other jobs, but the simple healing and basic buffs are invaluable. Then you hit endgame and get Holy and suddenly it changes from pure support to primary damage dealer. So how good is White Magic healing? The only other group heal (baring stuff like Flame Ring abuse) is White Wind, which is tough to get on this challenge. And Holy, boosted by the Sage Staff, is the strongest attack spell in the game. Notice how I ended the Exdeath fight at full health while most people end it with half the party dead and critical HP.

Third was, well Berserker. And I didn't even sign up for Berserker risk! Luckily, I rather lucked out with Berserker. The primary times in the Four Job Fiesta the Berserker is a liability is when fighting the Sandworm, and trying to learn Blue Magic. I didn't have a Blue Mage so that was no problem. And since I had a White Mage, Sandworm was no problem. It was mostly there. Then I got the Rune Axe. While damage varied, it quite regularly did around 4000 damage a hit. In other words, it was matching a Boosted Holy. Half the boss fights in the Rift were me sitting back, healing occasionally and letting Lenna smash everything with that axe. :v:

While still not optimal, Berserker is at least usable in this game. And I admit I got good jobs to go with it.

Finally, Black Mage. Rather interesting, but still good. Black Mage is a powerful job. It's elemental spells boosted constantly wrecked things until Holy (Flare is sadly, unwheming). And the best part is that I could just stick White Magic on it and have two high magic healers! And Black Magic worked great on White Mage, giving it not only more magic and MP, but offensive options when no healing was needed. Finally, Black Magic let my Berserker use Rune Axe without any worry at all.

All in all a fairly strong team. It wasn't overpowering, if only because it is some of the simpler classes. 3 of the 4 are from the Wind Crystal, and one is Berserker. The jobs there (except the Blue Mage) are all simple classes meant to ease you into the game, and their abilities are simple to match. So while Black and White Magic are good, I didn't have dual casting to make things totally insane. No time magic for haste and Quick. Monk is good, but it really would have worked better with Ranger for Rapidfire, or Knight would have worked well. Equip Swords or Heavy Armor would have been fantastic on Monk. While Berserker would have liked had agility boosts from Thief and buffing opportunities from Bard.

So basically an ideal challenge for me. It was difficult, but not overly so. I had some strong jobs, but not the absolute strongest. And Berserker for comic relief!

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Schwartzcough posted:

Stealing is good for making money and unlocking stuff in the bazaar (and getting some good equipment off of rare game monsters).

Since Vaan, Fran, and Balthier know Steal by default, I pretty much always have one of them with an Enemy HP 100% > Steal gambit.

Dr Pepper fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Jun 28, 2012

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Hahaha Ranger, Mystic Knight, Knight, and Samurai. The only way that party could be better if instead of a Samurai you got a Chemist.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Edge is one of the best characters in The After Years so it's pretty viable, in all honesty.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

That's laaammme. It removes a ton of interesting stuff from it.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Is the balance in TAY a lot like normal FF4? Because one thing I always found funny is that other than maybe swapping out Rydia for Yang or Porom, the party they give you for the endgame actually is the best possible party you could make from the people in the game. This was kinda fun to realize in FF4A.

It's overall better balanced then FFIV. There's only one character I'd say is really not good. Some characters are better in pairs for their bands though.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Another tip: If you give someone a subjob they get bonuses from it. So a Blue Mage with !Summon 5 gets much stronger blue magic, since Summoners have the best Magic stat in the game.

Second best magic! :eng101:

Oracle has a higher magic stat. Of course, in the Four Job Fiesta and non GBA versions the Oracle isn't in the carts.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Happy Blue Cow posted:

Even then, Time Mage and Freelancer might be too good for this type of challenge lol.

Time Mage is in no way a weak job. Haste is the most powerful buff in the game. Slow is the best debuff (And very little isn't effected by it) and then in endgame and difficulty vanishes because you get Quick, the single best spell in the game.

It can use Rods and Staffs, so you can break rods and use the Healing Staff. It even gets two nice attack spells, Comet and Meteor.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

pw pw pw posted:

I always used to confuse which final fantasy was 4 and 5, because I feel like 5 looks like a step backward in terms of design.

....what?

How can anybody think 5 is a step back in design?

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Obviously do a Leonora solo :unsmigghh:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I don't think anybody would begrudge you using Palom for beating Palom's Tale and maybe getting some nice things from the Challenge Dungeon.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I liked the Challenge Dungeons so welp v:v:v

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I think it helped that I played the PSP version, which greatly increased the rate in which you get the good stuff in exchange for only being able to get one of each.

Fair trade off, I'd say.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Dual Wield on a Knight is pretty awesome though.

Or Equip Sword on a Ninja.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Mega64 posted:

Thinking about it, I always wanted to see a FF6 hack that limited spells to certain characters. Only Terra/Celes/Relm would get Firaga/Blizzaga/Thundaga, Locke, Shadow, and maybe another character or two would get the Slow/Haste spells, Sabin and Cyan would focus on buffs, Strago and Gau would get some of the odder spells, and so on. It'd keep characters distinct and would actually add some strategy in choosing your party. Then just rebalance some things (make SwordTech not suck, give Sabin more magic-boosting equipment, maybe lower the insane buffs Terra, Celes, and Edgar get from equipment, etc) to keep choices more interesting.

http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=4193.0

It's called "Final Fantasy VI Hardtype" But it eventually didn't turn out that much more difficult then the original game, even the guy who made the hack admits it and thinks he should probably change the name.

It also includes a few interesting bits of equipment changes.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

ImpAtom posted:

I am pretty sure most people did that, which is why the common perception of JRPGs is "grind to win" despite the fact that there are a billion non-grinding solutions even in something as basic as Final Fantasy

People, will, in general take the path of least resistance, even if it ends up being more work overall.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

ImpAtom posted:

There's actually a reason for the Cid thing but it's pretty dumb.

The CGI cutscenes were finished before everything else, and they were required to find a way to fit them into the plot. That is why Lightning has a gravity device (because she was supposed to have a gravity device in the early story design), it breaks as soon as they stop using it in CGI cutscenes, and then it fixes itself again for the big scene in Chapter 10 where Lightning is using it again. The entire reason for Cid being in that scene is that he was in the CGI cutscene and so they had to use him even though it no longer made sense.

Not a GOOD excuse, but that's why it happened. They had expensive CGI cutscenes they were required to implement and did a poo poo job of doing so.

Wow.

And here I thought that FFXIII's development could not be even more of a trainwreck.

And I liked the game.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Suaimhneas posted:

When I found out that the 100% ending is Tidus coming back I really felt sorry for anyone who put themselves through the frustration and tedium of getting it. That's not a reward, it's a punishment.

While I do like Tidus as a character I have to agree that the 100% ending to FFX2 just isn't right. It really doesn't fit with the theme of the game.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Bongo Bill posted:

I didn't really like XII either, but I don't know why. Maybe it was just the slow pacing. I think part of the problem was that I tried to keep all six party members evenly leveled and fully-equipped, and consequently spent all my time chaining mobs for gil and being underleveled and underpowered in the latest dungeon the plot had led me to.

Huh. I never really had a Gil problem and I raised everyone equally.

Then again, I made sure to pretty much steal from every enemy.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

To be exact, the classes I say should be mastered for every character to have the ultimate Freelancers and Mimes are:

Monk: Highest Strength and Stamina
Thief: Highest agility
Oracle: Highest magic in the GBA version.
Summoner: Highest magic in the SNES and PS1 versions.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

3, 12, and 13 are all also fun though. :smith:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Gammatron 64 posted:

Uhh... did they decrease the difficulty for FF5 GBA?

No, FF5 is just not a particularly difficult game. Once you learn the mechanics it's pretty easy to handle most everything.

Schwartzcough posted:

Thieves inherently have the ability that prevents back attacks, and Ninjas have the ability that increases the odds of a preemptive attack. Are those inherited by the Freelancer?

Yes. All passive abilities but the Berserker's Berserk and the Necromancer's Undead are inherited by Freelancer.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Gammatron 64 posted:

Shinryu did not live up to the hype. Omega and Shinryu have such a reputation for being SUPER INSANELY HARD, but like everything else in FF5, they were a walk in the park. Hell, I think FF5 might even be easier than FF7.

I'm thinking of maybe maxing out all my job levels for all characters off movers in the last dungeon, then maybe going to the new dungeon. Or maybe not, because I have everything I need - maxed magic skills, all spells, Ragnarok, great gear, Rapid Fire, Spellblade, Dual Wield, maxed Monk, Oracle, Thief on everyone.

The optional dungeon in FFVA is made with the assumption that you already broke the game inside and out. :getin:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Gammatron 64 posted:

Yay, I got FFXII International working on my PC! What jobs would you guys recommend I pick? Say, if Balthier picks BLM, can he still use guns?

Some characters start with licences by default. (For example, Vaan knows Steal no matter what). So while, Balthier will always be able to use his basic gun, he won't be able to learn how to use anymore if you don't pick a Job that uses guns (So Machinist and Shikari) .

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Mill Village posted:

The Time Mage is garbage, I'll let this FFXII IZJS veteran explain why:

Yes because I really want to farm items just to cast some spells.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Fister Roboto posted:

I went with the six classes from FF1 - knight, monk, white mage, black mage, red mage, and thief (hunter). So far I haven't had any issues, but I guess I'll be missing out on haste. Oh well.

You'll be really hard to kill though, since four of those jobs have access to healing magic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Fungah! posted:

People have beaten one-character runs of the game with every class including Berserker, so yes. I'd still stay away from Geomancer and Berserker, though, they're not very fun and they don't add a whole drat lot to your party.

Geomancer gives a nice free attack for mages to spam in random encounters.