Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

p.crestmont
Feb 17, 2012

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

A lot of my friends were rpg nerds too, we got a kick out of seeing which classes we all thought the others applied to. It wasn't about virtual hangouts, but the idea of charging onto the frontlines with those you trust. (And by the end of the game, replacing their sorry asses with Mustadio and TG Cid.)

Me and my friends did that too, it's funny thinking back on that. You'd get stuff like "What the hell, you made me Gau? How am I Gau?" or "Agh Mike you missed again you suck". It definitely made the games more fun though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

p.crestmont
Feb 17, 2012

Rueish posted:

I have a weird thing about RPGS where it's turn-based AND first-person. It just puts me off entirely, which is why I couldn't play old DQ games. For some reason I just can't enjoy them, at least I couldn't the last time I tried. Could be different now but back when I tried Earthbound, discovering it had such a system, I just put it down.

I know it's weird.

That was always a kind of barrier for me too.

p.crestmont
Feb 17, 2012
I can't remember much of IX's music and I played it pretty recently. I remember liking the music, but I'd agree that it doesnt "click" like some of the other games in the series.

Also the characters were great, some parts with Steiner can still make me laugh out loud and stuff with Vivi's and Zidane's storylines can still bring a tear to my eye.

p.crestmont
Feb 17, 2012

Tempo 119 posted:

I hope I'm not the only one reading this music discussion and having to look up almost every song on Youtube. I know them when I hear them but the names just fall right out of my head.

I don't know any of the names either, you've got to do some research beyond just playing the games (i.e. looking up every song on Youtube.)

p.crestmont
Feb 17, 2012

Stoat posted:

If you've never done a 'Call every single character Sephiroth' run of FF7 you are missing out (on hours of nonsense conversations and confusing plot twists)

Having enough rename cards to name everyone KEFKA for his final speech in FFVI is pretty good too.

I could see FFVII's story making about the same amount of sense with everyone named Sephiroth...

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

I'm aware of that, and... it's fluff. If Shulk from Xenoblade is an Aquarius, that still doesn't tell me anything about Shulk because blood types and astrological signs are fluff.

I heard it's more serious there, like employment discrimination for "lazy" blood types serious.

p.crestmont
Feb 17, 2012

Barudak posted:

The guy in charge is who "saved" FFXI and turned it around into a fun game. After FFXIV was garbage they brought him off of FFXI and put the guy whose messes he kept fixing back on FFXI. As if by magic FFXI started to turn to poo poo again and FFXIV started to get way better. Thankfully the guy who made two bad MMOs is now gone from the company and I would in no way mind if the guy who currently runs FFXIV gets a crack at a single player FF game.

Its a feel good story where the good guy wins. And then lets you become a summoner.

This has got me pretty excited for XIV. Even if it's just salvaged to a "pretty good" MMO, I think with the FF atmosphere and classes attached I could really get in to this.

p.crestmont
Feb 17, 2012

Ross posted:

What does the Speed stat affect in FF6? Does it speed up the ATB gauge? What will max Speed do for me?

Yes it speeds up ATB. And it makes a pretty big difference especially when stacking auto haste on top of it, I recommend speed gouging Locke or Shadow.

p.crestmont
Feb 17, 2012

Bongo Bill posted:

An interview with Hiroyuki Ito, designer of the combat systems for Final Fantasy I, IV, V, VI, IX, XII, and Tactics.

Nerds everywhere cry out in anguish at the revelation that Final Fantasy was inspired by football all along.

Final Fantasies were actually Football and Racing games all along :shrug:

p.crestmont
Feb 17, 2012
Any current news on the release date for FF 14 on PS3? I'm seeing stuff from the Summer saying October-December 2012, but nothing solid and we're halfway through that timeframe...

p.crestmont
Feb 17, 2012

The Gunslinger posted:

I am not going to min max Secret of Mana co-op, haha jesus.

But you can stun lock enemies and bosses for BIG numbers!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

p.crestmont
Feb 17, 2012
Looks like what finally causes me to break down and get a smart phone will be Yoshitaka Amano's amazing character artwork. Somehow I feel I should've known...