Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xomocekc
Aug 1, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

jivjov posted:

I haven't spent much time with it, but I can confirm it works fine. Its a bitch and a half to install though.

I'm 50 hours into the game (Balfonheim) and there are no major issues at all. The gambit menu is hosed because it was made for japanese text so it's narrower now and the text overlaps, but it's in no way gamebreaking.

IZJS itself is kind of weird though. Because of the changes it's a very unbalanced game. You will either dominate over everything or die in 15 seconds. It's because you can now use Quickenings without depleting your MP so boss battles are easier but healing can be problematic because only White Mages get the best healing magic and they don't get many HP licences. It's also worth noting that some spells are now only found in the field, it's possible to completely miss out on essential stuff like Dispel if you're unlucky.

But overall it's a really fun game, especially if you already beat the original once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xomocekc
Aug 1, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Leovinus posted:

Great! Thanks.

I actually love the Job system from what I've seen so far, although twelve different jobs seems a bit much seeing as how I'll only be using three characters at once. There's no mixing and matching, right?

Actually... you may need to switch out characters for some battles. Only White Mages can get top tier healing magics (other classes can too, but only via special isolated licences which are accessed through esper licences that serve as "bridges") but you may not want a white mage around all time when dispatching mobs because their attack is low and they have low HP. When encountering a flying monster you will need a Machinist or a Hunter or a Black Mage. You will want a black mage, probably at all times. But various jobs have access to various technicks and kinds of magick. I found it that it was necessary to switch out characters. And for me personally it was fun.

However if you want to just use three people then you will absolutely need one white and one black mage and a Knight. You will miss out on Time Magick (no Haste for you) and ranged offensive capabilities, and you will need a big stack of Ethers at all times.

Also keep in mind that once you set a class for someone, they are stuck with it for the rest of the game. There's no way to change.

xomocekc
Aug 1, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Schwartzcough posted:

What? Almost everything you said here is wrong. At the very least, spears, bows, guns, crossbows, handbombs, poles, and rods can all hit flying monsters. Really, the only job that should have trouble hitting flyers is Knight.

Bows and crossbows are Hunters. And guns are Machinists. I guess I could have said Uhlans are also useful. Bombs are isolated licences for the Black Mage. I don't count isolated licences because they require Espers.

Furthermore I was using that example as an illustration of why you need to switch out characters. I wasn't implying only Hunters and Machinists can hit flying mobs, (I guess I actually was but whatever, I'm not a strategy guide) but they were the only ones that could in my playthrough along with the Black Mages' magick of course.

The point I was making is that you need to switch out characters because they're limited in what they can do and you will need different abilities for different encounters.