Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Donnor
Aug 24, 2012

AnInsomniac posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zks5W-XlghU

I'm sure this is not confirmed at all. But boy do I want to believe.

The official website for the tech demo did/ does have a survey asking people what they thought about it, but there wasn't any confirmation at all that they're thinking "FFXV" with this. If it's at all indicative of what they're thinking of doing with XV though, that could be pretty cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Donnor
Aug 24, 2012
Speaking of Final Fantasy games released as episodic content, is The After Years actually worth playing? I've hear bad things about it.

Himuro posted:

Blue Dragon steamrolls the gently caress out of Lost Odyssey, though Lost Odyssey is great too.

I just don't get the appeal of Blue Dragon. Every single character in the game are completely annoying children. If this game had existed while I was younger I may have liked it, but the gameplay is not nearly good enough to carry the game.

Donnor
Aug 24, 2012

Evil Fluffy posted:

Crystal Chronicles would be the replacement for the Mana series, and that was a pretty large drop in quality. Maybe if they hadn't made the first game as one of those idiotic "you can play with friends... but only if you're using gameboys as controllers because clearly using the menu rings around that character, while everyone can still fight and move, would just be crazy" games.

Except for the fact that it could cost a lot of money to get a full party in Crystal Chronicles, it worked very well and was just so much fun. Really, I even enjoyed playing the game alone. I'm a bit undecided on the DS games though (Never played the Wii one). They're fun enough I suppose, but the have a different feel. The original besides being a tiny bit more open, presents the world in a more mysterious way. The voice-overs at the beginning of each level were always pretty cool. The two DS games feel more like an action/ puzzle Final Fantasy game, and that really takes away so much.

Donnor
Aug 24, 2012
Are they seriously throwing insta-death attacks at me in FFXIII now? It wouldn't be a big deal if using it on my party leader didn't mean insta-game over too. Sure, I can make sure I have a Sentinel as my leader, but first of all, that assumes I know the enemy has that attack, and second of all that assumes another attack from another enemy isn't coming to wipe out my 1 HP immediately after.

Donnor
Aug 24, 2012

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Go fight it and then enjoy as it uses an instant death spell on your main character and game over(watch the ending on youtube).

As long as your leader can change to a sentinel and you got that ability that stops instant death attacks the final boss isn't actually that difficult. I don't believe you need to keep him/ her as a sentinel the entire time since there should be some warning beforehand so you can switch back before it hits.

Either way I don't see how you can make it to the final boss of a game and not beat it. It'd really bug the hell out of me.

Donnor
Aug 24, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

FFIII. After wiping out in the final dungeon a couple of times, you kind of just turn off the game for a while.

I even endured through that dungeon the several times I needed too. Any other time I'll say gently caress it, but if I'm at the end I need to get through it.

Renoistic posted:

I'd say it's one of the hardest bosses in the series. It's especially frustrating since you have several fights before it with no chance of saving in-between. Your choice of monster allies is vital!

I found the behemoth type monster in the final dungeon much harder than the final boss. I couldn't even last a few rounds against it and it was in a spot that made him really difficult to avoid. Eventually I got lucky and got past, but man...

Donnor
Aug 24, 2012

Twelve by Pies posted:

I tried the demo for Theatrhythm on the 3DS today, and it seems kind of cool, but there is one question I must know the answer to before I decide if I want to buy it.

Aside from the DLC stuff, can I unlock all the music by playing on the regular difficulty settings, or do I have to do stuff on Expert/Ultimate too?

I believe all songs are unlocked by earning a certain amount of Rhythmia, which is just earned by playing songs on any difficulty and any mode.

Donnor
Aug 24, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Dimensions is on the Google Play store, correct? I have a Kindle Fire, is there any way to play it on there or will I just have to run it through Chrome?

I believe it's possible through some method of rooting and flashing a rom to the kindle, but i don't think there's any way without messing around a great deal. Unfortunately you can't just run it from Chrome either since it's for Android.

I don't have any kind of smartphone whatsoever so I can't play it either, as much as I'd love to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Donnor
Aug 24, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

If you use the stupid lovely mod models that try to copy the style of advent children, ABSOLUTELY. They look absolutely :barf:

But the battle models aren't all that detailed and are done in the same style, just with more polys and a more realistic style than the field models. I think they fit into the game perfectly.

Doesn't look so bad at all eh? (I don't like the high quality text in this screenshot but its all I could find in a hurry from my work laptop)

Compared to

Ooof. That's pretty rough.

FF8 used the same models for battle and field and looked better for it. 7 had chibi characters for field partially because of technical restraints (and their first 3D experience) but partially because that's just how it was done in RPGs before; a simple low detail representative image for the overworld, a bigger sprite with more detail for battle.

Are the guards in the top picture misisng their heads?