Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
My wife and I both played My Life as a King a lot and we both loved it. It gets really grindy and RNG-based in the late game and it just kinda stopped being fun for me. Then there's the building position optimization which just isn't worth the time and effort after a while.

I recommend playing it until you get sick of it. It's a really good time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
So breaking FF8 is hilarious so far. I only fight bosses and they do no damage and I slurp 100 of everything out of them and then flatten them. The story, uh, exists, I guess. It's nice to be able to just coast through everything and see the story without huge gaps in between filled with grinding and poo poo.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Gologle posted:

Yuffie should have a spinoff game where you steal materia from the rich and give to...nobody, you just keep it for yourself.

Final Fantasy Materia Keeper

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
This is the first major RPG I've intentionally broken on the first playthrough. 99% of the time I play them straight as intended but I've heard so many bad things about FF8 that I wanted to give breaking it a try and yeah it's good times. Sue me.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Speaking of characters, I knew very little about the FF8 characters before starting it and Rinoa being a Manic Pixie Dream Girl was kinda jarring and dumb but also funny just because of the surprise factor. And of course she is because Squall is a shithead who "probably just needs inspiration" and someone to look past/ignore his awful bullshit. The way Quistis puts up with his poo poo and does NOT tell him to gently caress right off after the "I don't want to carry others' burdens" line was lovely writing.

Selphie is the only character I don't hate so far.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Barudak posted:

Selphie is the games actual Manic Pixie Dream Girl though?

She doesn't fawn all over Squall so she really isn't in the traditional sense. MPDG is always the magical inspiration the dark brooding man needs to get past his issues. It's bad.

Selphie is just cute and fun and relatively care free.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Sakurazuka posted:

Congrats she literally does nothing the entire game

Apart from like trains I guess

The ugly mock up train car thing was funny though.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

TheHoosier posted:

Barrett/Cloud

Zell/hot dog

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

FactsAreUseless posted:

I really like Balthier and Fran's relationship. It's all backstory but they genuinely seem like a couple who love each other and have been together a long time and are comfortable together. It's the most adult and mature relationship in the series.

I unironically agree.

Barudak posted:

I mean, my point is Rhinoa isnt that either and the MPDG is not for a brooding man, its for an authors self insert aka a dull, professional man.

Uhhhhh...

quote:

Squall is also not brooding so much as a child soldier who lacks healthy emotional coping mechanisms due to being, you know, a child soldier.

I get what they were trying to do with him and it's my understanding that English localization changed his character somewhat but ... whatever. He's insufferable.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Oxxidation posted:

selphie's three character traits are a) perky, b) trains, and c) a barely-concealed proclivity for hideous violence

Yeah she owns and I would totally hang out with her IRL.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

jokes posted:

Why in the world is Ivalice supposed to be pronounced "Ee-va-lees" that is truly absurd to me.

Yeah it's dumb.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
FF1 is still good.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
I like the idea of FF2 but I stopped playing after I insta-killed one of the overpowered guards in the Empire occupied city and, unlike every other RPG ever, my entire party did not level up like crazy.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
13. It owns (except for the story (and Snow(gently caress Snow))).

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Die Sexmonster! posted:

Marche is a terrible villain, he was absolutely right and did nothing wrong :colbert:

:hai:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

NikkolasKing posted:

It depends. Who is the villain of FFXII? Vayne? Venat? The Empire as a whole?

In any event, Vayne is far and away the worst villain of all major villains in that game. Gabranth and Dr. Cid far outshine him.

If we get into more minor villains, the choices become more plentiful. Like, President Deling was a schmuck. Emperor Gestahl, too.

None worse than Argath.

gently caress

ARGATH