Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Anybody here been to Distant Worlds? It's coming relatively closer & I'm real tempted but I haven't played an FF since 9.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Cleretic posted:

Chaos isn't the third-hardest final boss in Final Fantasy. Hell, I'm pretty sure he's not even the third-hardest boss in Final Fantasy I.

Which version, and how would you order the FFI bosses? Cure 4 is pretty much an instant "you lose" if he lives that long, but I haven't played it in years.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Elephant Ambush posted:

Which version of FF1? The NES version is by far the hardest.

Yeah, I meant which version was he referring to when he said Chaos wasn't top 3. I've only played the NES version and remember him being pretty hard, but like I said, it's been a while.

^^^ I guess I've always BANE'd Tiamat, so I have no idea how hard he is if you actually try to fight him.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

If you don't break the game (like say, me as a stupid kid) Ultimecia is a grueling affair. After spending the whole game summoning GFs it was Squall alone who finished her, using recover every other turn and spamming limits until she blew away Aura. I'm tempted to get FF8 PC and play it "properly" but I don't remember having much fun and I don't think breaking the game in two would change that.

Similarly, if you haven't spec'd a good team Neo/Exdeath hits/is pretty hard (for an FF boss), definitely a step up in difficulty from the rest of the (non-superboss) game.

Once you get to Kefka tier it's all moot anyways, six shades of laughably easy doesn't say much.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

I mean, other than Cloud of Darkness, if you do assume that you are breaking the game as much as possible, are any of them hard enough to make a list meaningful?

E: completely misread the above post

Fantastic Foreskin fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Apr 21, 2018

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Raxivace posted:

I've finished FF2 and am playing the NES version of FF3 now. Not having any trouble so far, though is there anything I should be aware of? I seem to recall horror stories about the final dungeon.

FF3 NES is fun overall, with a few low points, and a facinating look into how the series did, and didn't, develop. The only pitfall I can think of is that sometimes you are forced to use magic, so you can't skip it entirely if for some reason you wanted to.

The last dungeon is also a brutal slog that demonstrates why save points in dungeons are a good thing.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Himuro posted:

...casual long term game that doesn’t require commitment...

Have you considered... not an MMO?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Can confirm original Three is fine until the final dungeon, though I haven't played the remakes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

If you're going to play 4, either get a translation patch for or a rerelease of the original. It's been long enough I couldn't tell you why, but I remember the game being much more interesting to play than the US release.