Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
Listening to the full Lightning Returns OST on Youtube. It's pretty incredible. First time I've heard free jazz in a jRPG.

Ubiquitous_ fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Nov 21, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

Syrant posted:

I've been trying to avoid spoilers but is there any word on how extensive Fang's involvement in XIII-3 is? That whole 30 second cutscene in XIII-2 was some serious bullshit. Please tell me she sticks around in some fashion.

She has an arc and joins you in battle for a short period (AI-controlled).

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

Syrant posted:

Ah, thanks. How long is an 'arc' exactly? Do we know all the outfits for the series? Like, if there will be outfits aside from Cloud's attire and Yuna's outfit? I'd like to see Lightning run around a kick rear end in Snow's coat or Fang's sari and such.

There have been a few posted in the thread, such as Locke's Amano outfit and Setzer's outfit. There's at least 80 costumes I think, so I'm sure there will be more throwbacks to find.

An 'arc' is probably an entire questline, so probably a few hours max depending. Every character more or less has a role to play through the entire game.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

Sex_Ferguson posted:

So I just tried out the demo and it feels like the FF Hack 'N Slash game I've been waiting for, just so much good feels in the combat and how slick everything flows together. I'll put up a video with my very middling commentary in a while.

Going from impressions, the battle system and the soundtrack are by far the highlights of the game. Though I heard from the guy who did the Piggyback strategy guide for XIII-2 and he said he likes this one the most out of the trilogy, as far as actual game content goes.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

Gaseous Snake posted:

I've been listening to the soundtrack and it's good. I just miss Caius's theme too much from XIII-2. It's me, I'm the reason they don't stop having latin in songs.

"Ouroboros Fiesta" is fantastic.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

Dragonatrix posted:

These two aren't doable yet. They both need to be on disc 3 or 4. Doomtrain needs Alexander to make at the earliest, who's only available in the last boss of Disc 2 or one in Ultimecia's Castle, and the ring's near Esther which you don't go to until disc 3. Cactuar Island isn't reachable without the Ragnarok.

You don't need to physically be on the island to fight Cactuars.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
Anyone getting Romancing SaGa 2 out on mobile platforms today?

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

MarcusSA posted:

Well I thought I knew what I was getting myself into...

Clearly I had no idea.

Did you have any questions? I just beat the game with about 40 hours sunk into it. Only things I didn't complete were the obnoxiously difficult extra bosses from the original game, and the end bosses of the new Maze of Memory dungeon.

A few things that can help in the early game:

1. Use magic. A lot. Grinding magic levels lets you build things like the Academy in Avalon, and also gets you better spells (and their fusion equivalents). I recommend using all forms of magic that you can, as all of them have pretty good spells and combinations. You get a choice to sink a city to use Dark Magic, but you also lose out on a potential class to use in your party, so this is up to you. One of the new classes added to the iOS version comes with Dark Magic innate, though. You also want to build the University as soon as possible, as the Tactician class comes with three magic schools to use.

2. Random encounters are supposed to be tough, but don't be afraid of full party wipes. The system is built for you to be constantly experimenting, trying out new Emperors so you can get new formations and crafting different party compilations a la Suikoden. Once you're two or three generations in, and start getting randomized Emperors, you'll also get a set of tech teachers in the castle that will let you bring over techniques learned in the previous generation. What's nice is that if you learn a bunch of techs, then get a party wipe, those techs are not lost and will be available when you start a new generation (which typically is after beating a story scenario).

3. Two links help a ton: http://saga.wikia.com/wiki/Tech_Spark_Types
http://saga.wikia.com/wiki/Tech_Sparking

The first will give you a rundown of all potential recruits for all types of classes you get. These are not one to one with the iOS version, as some of them have been mangled in translation. These recruits all have different spark types, meaning they are coded in the game's data to spark tech attacks from certain weapon types only. Some classes only ever spark certain weapon techs, but some of the randomized people in that class may spark other, uncommon weapon types. So it's good to match the name of your potential recruit to the list to see if that's the recruit you want to take on, because if you give a character a weapon they don't spark well with, you're going to lose out on a lot of time and get no new techniques. This has not been updated with the two new classes, so I don't know what they spark with.

The second page gives you enemy recommendations for how to spark certain skills, and what skills you should use to spark their derivative, higher-level skills. That page, unfortunately, does not tell you which skills are tied to certain weapons or not, so you'll have to research in FAQs for those weapon-specific techs. Enemy level = chance of sparking skills, and if you're either well under or well over that tech's difficulty with that enemy, it won't spark. Enemy ranks go up as you battle more, so if you're not seeing the enemies on the page, you haven't battled enough yet. The game becomes much easier as you spark the better techniques.

Ubiquitous_ fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Jun 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

Frionnel posted:

12 is actually really good.

The Zodiac Age version, to be exact. Vanilla FF12 has a lot of issues.